Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
I am reprinting "The Tactical Grob" by Claude Bloodgood by ChessFire
On Dec 21, 6:45*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote: On Dec 21, 6:21*pm, ChessFire wrote: On Dec 20, 8:14*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote:
December 23rd 09 12:56 AM
by madams[_2_] Go to last post
8 332
The 1957 Virginia State Championship by raylopez99
On Dec 21, 6:08*pm, Bobcat wrote: Making love to a Grizzly bear is not highly recommended. That bear man in Alaska tried (as seen on TV). And he succeeded until some unknown young juvenile males mistook him for a meal. But polar bears--which the Romans and ancient chinese kept in captivity--are known, like zebras, to be completely untameable. They
December 22nd 09 09:24 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 231
William C. Haines (1939-2009) by samsloan
Bill Haines once wrote: "When I die, the one thing I DON'T want, is to have Sam Sloan write the news release!". http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.chess.politics/msg/0de06f9187b6060d Naturally, this has made me reluctant to be the one to issue the news release. He died several weeks ago in Vallejo, California and nobody has done it, but it should be done, so I will have to be the one...
December 18th 09 11:18 PM
by jkh001 Go to last post
3 409
Sixth American Chess Congress, New York 1889 by RayLopez99
On Nov 27, 5:03*pm, " wrote: This book was rare even in the 19th century, since it was consciously designed to be of value for collectors. It was supposed to be for congress subscribers only, and the plates were destroyed after I belive 500 copies were sold. It is a very good book and hard to fined. Good point. And if...
December 16th 09 04:50 PM
by RayLopez99 Go to last post
0 309
XBoard/Winboard 4.4.2 released by Arun
This release includes several bugfixes. You can get the source code for XBoard/Winboard at: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/xboard Windows binaries will be available at: http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewforum.php?f=19
December 8th 09 06:35 AM
by Arun Go to last post
0 341
Can White Win this? Weiss vs. Chigorin New York 1889 by samsloan
I sent this book to the printers yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, where I spent Thanksgiving in the company of my devoted computer. This book of the New York 1889 Chess Congress by William Steinitz will be out and published by the middle of next week. I expect that this book will be my best selling chess book because it is otherwise unavailable. If you want this book relatively inexpensively I...
November 27th 09 03:50 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
1 259
Can White Win this? Weiss vs. Chigorin New York 1889 by samsloan
New York 1889 was a 20 player double round robin. As such, there were 38 rounds with 10 games each round. However, there was an unusual special rule: If two players drew their second game, that game did not count and they had to play a third game. Only if their third game was also a draw did it count as a draw. There were 48 times that this happened. The most noteworthy time was when Max Weiss...
November 25th 09 11:59 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
1 274
Get Club - How many games do you have to play? by RocketMan[_2_]
Any chance of you answering my questions, Sanny? Also, another question... Why does GetClub play even worse on the higher levels? Same silly nonsensical moves, just takes longer to think about them (2 hrs 15 mins in one case! On Master). RocketMan wrote: You have seen sites more ugly than GetClub?!! I find that EXTREMELY unbelieveable! Any chance of letting us in on what site/s...
November 20th 09 02:44 PM
by Thomas T. Veldhouse[_2_] Go to last post
4 385
Truong Admits that he is NOT a US Citizen by samsloan
Okay. Are you a citizen of this country? No, I am not. What is your citizenship? I'm sorry? Where are you a citizen of? I am stateless. You are stateless? Yes. Okay.
November 17th 09 02:26 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 304
Where to get IPPOLIT the Rybka killer? by Peter C. Meyer
Where to get IPPOLIT the Rybka killer? Peter
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 8th 09 01:19 PM
by NoBodyYouKnow Go to last post
18 929
XBoard/Winboard 4.4.1 released by Arun
This release includes several new features and lots of bugfixes. You can get the source code for XBoard/Winboard at: http://www.gnu.org/software/xboard/ Windows binaries will be available at: http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewforum.php?f=19
October 31st 09 06:09 PM
by Arun Go to last post
0 355
Winner of the Polgar-Truong Award for Bringing Great New Publicity toChess by samsloan
Denver News Colorado Chess Master To Be On 'Most Wanted' Saturday Program To Feature Robert Snyder POSTED: 12:21 pm MDT October 22, 2009 DENVER -- A former chess master from Fort Collins wanted for failing to register as a sex offender, will be featured on "America's Most
October 31st 09 03:32 AM
by Inconnux Go to last post
5 356
Fritz 12 coming October 7th by rahw
On Sep 27, 6:01*am, rgca wrote: Amazon.com:http://xrl.us/Fritz12A ChessCafe.com review: http://www.chesscafe.com/Reviews/review709.htm
October 30th 09 01:39 AM
by rahw Go to last post
0 279
The Cat in the Hat Comes Back by samsloan
Many will recall the incident at the 2006 World Open which had a $20,000 first prize where a previously little known chess player wearing a big floppy hat defeated Grandmaster Smirin, one of the strongest players in the world. After that, when forced to remove his hat, his play became much worse, dropping to the Class B level. He became known as "The Cat in the Hat". An article appeared in...
October 29th 09 11:09 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
4 291
Fundamentos del Ajedrez by Capablanca published today; ChessFundamentals in Spanish by Offramp
On 27 Oct, 01:07, samsloan wrote: Ishi Press International is proud to announce the publication today of *Fundamentos del Ajedrez Roughly translated: Arseholes of Chess. Is anyone we know in it?
October 27th 09 10:26 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
2 295
Fundamentos del Ajedrez by Capablanca published today; ChessFundamentals in Spanish by MrVidmar
samsloan wrote: Ishi Press International is proud to announce the publication today of Fundamentos del Ajedrez by Jose Raul Capablanca, with an introduction by Woman International Chess Master Beatriz Mansilla Marinello. This is the same book as "Chess Fundamentals", except that it is in Spanish. The book is available today at Barnes and Noble on line for a low pre- ...
October 27th 09 01:58 PM
by MrVidmar Go to last post
2 457
Did Truong Take the Fifth? by samsloan
I have heard that Paul Truong took the Fifth Amendment numerous times during his deposition in Lubbock Texas. Is this true? Can anybody confirm this? It is my understanding that one cannot take the Fifth selectively, refusing to answer some questions but not others. If one wants to take the Fifth, one must refuse to answer any questions other than identifying your name and address, or one must...
October 22nd 09 05:22 PM
by Rob Go to last post
9 437
Is Help Bot a magician? by Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod)
On Oct 18, 6:52*am, Sanny addresses a non-issue about "help bot": No, he is very intelligent. Said who? Said SAT & Sanny. ***
October 22nd 09 12:21 PM
by Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod) Go to last post
4 318
It is impossible to completely eliminate fraud in title applications by samsloan
There is nothing in place to stop someone from doing again what Tanner did. However, the MSA makes it noticeable, which is how Tanner got caught. Back in 1992-1993 when these events actually occurred, it was impossible to detect this sort of thong. In short, it is never possible to completely eliminate fraud. Far more serious things have happened in FIDE. For example, in about 1998 a player...
October 21st 09 03:22 PM
by None Go to last post
2 433
Slow Progress in Illinois Case USCF vs. Polgar and Truong by samsloan
Docket detail for case 2008-MR-000751: Case: 2008-MR-000751 Type: Other Assigned Judge: ZAPPA Filed: 12/29/2008 Status: Open Report: Open Case Participant Attorney
October 15th 09 02:09 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 318
Post New Thread