Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Susan Polgar, a Non-Member, is listed as Number One US Woman Player by samsloan
After years of being off the top-women rating lists due to inactivity, Susan Polgar is now listed as number one, even though she was expelled from the USCF in August. http://main.uschess.org/component/option,com_top_players/Itemid,371?op=list&month=0912&f=TopWomen&h=Top%20Women She got this number one ranking by playing a single exhibition game against Fred Gruenberg, a 1500 rated...
January 3rd 10 07:37 PM
by The Masked Bishop[_2_] Go to last post
4 465
How to Increase Newsstand Sales of Chess Life. by samsloan
I have already told everybody how to get more news stand sales of Chess Life. Put Alisa Melekhina on the cover!! Take a look at the current Chess Life, with Ron Hames, age 70, on the cover. Who plays better chess, Ron Hames, a 1500-player, or Alisa Melekhina, a 2300-player?
January 3rd 10 07:05 PM
by Forsythe Go to last post
4 380
Kings of Chess by William Winter by samsloan
Kings of Chess Chess Championships of the Twentieth Century by William Winter This is one of the great classics of chess literature. British Champion William Winter deeply annotates 50 games that were played in matches for the World Chess Championship, starting with the 1907 match between Lasker and Marshall and ending with the 1951 match between Botvinnk and Bronstein.
January 3rd 10 12:51 AM
by micky Go to last post
3 470
International Journal of Electronics, Information and Systems (IJEIS)Call for Paper by ijeiseditor
The International Journal of Electronics, Information and Systems (IJEIS) publish original papers on all subjects relevant to electronics, computer science, communication network, and information systems. The highest priority will be given to those contributions concerned with a discussion of the background of a practical problem, the establishment of an appropriate model, the determination of...
January 1st 10 10:10 AM
by ijeiseditor Go to last post
0 459
Fred Reinfeld (1910-1964) by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
On Dec 25, 12:27*am, samsloan wrote: Fred Reinfeld (1910-1964) Fred Reinfeld was one of the most prolific authors ever. In fact, Reinfeld may even be the most prolific author of any kind in the entire history of the world. Fred Reinfeld wrote so many books that it will probably never be known how many books he wrote, especially since he not only wrote under...
December 31st 09 08:05 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
0 510
Fred Reinfeld (1910-1964) by samsloan
On Dec 26, 9:09*pm, samsloan wrote: On Dec 26, 9:46*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzmanyahoocom wrote: samsloan wrote: On Dec 26, 8:42 pm, Doug Andrews wrote: Perhaps the greatest contribution to collecting ever made by Fred
December 31st 09 07:11 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 295
I am reprinting "The Tactical Grob" by Claude Bloodgood by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
On Dec 23, 12:32*pm, Chris Falter wrote: Sam, I am *still* interested in learning how it is that your opinion of the Claude Bloodgood matter changed so dramatically. *Twice I have asked this question: question from a few days ago that Sam has not yet answered *Sam, your most recent comment on Bloodgood is as follows:
December 30th 09 11:33 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
0 339
Most spectacular blown win (and problem like finish) I've everseen by RayLopez99
On Dec 28, 10:12*am, RayLopez99 wrote: *q4rk1/2nR1pp1/n6p/2p1PQ2/p1P2P1N/Pr2PN2/5K2/B7 w - - 0 1 wKf2,Qf5,Nf3,h4,Ba1,Rd7,Pa3,c4,e3,e5,f4/ bKg8,Qa8,Na6,c7,Rb3,f8,Pa4,c5,f7,g7,h6 Grinshpan-Kaminsky, Poznan, Poland, 1961 1-0 * (if anybody has the complete game please post here) Above is the most amazing finish (and blown win) I've seen in years. It's exercise...
December 28th 09 03:20 PM
by RayLopez99 Go to last post
0 365
Scid Pocket v4 by Pascal
Hi, I released a new version of Scid for Pocket PC at http://scid.sourceforge.net/scidpocket.html Scid Pocket runs on Windows Mobile PDA and has a lot of features : - compatible with Scid for Windows, Linux and MacOs (http://scid.sourceforge.net/index.html) - play online (FICS) - play with an external board (Novag Citrine via bluetooth)
December 23rd 09 10:11 PM
by Pascal Go to last post
0 435
I am reprinting "The Tactical Grob" by Claude Bloodgood by ChessFire
On Dec 21, 6:45*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote: On Dec 21, 6:21*pm, ChessFire wrote: On Dec 20, 8:14*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote:
December 23rd 09 12:56 AM
by madams[_2_] Go to last post
8 381
The 1957 Virginia State Championship by raylopez99
On Dec 21, 6:08*pm, Bobcat wrote: Making love to a Grizzly bear is not highly recommended. That bear man in Alaska tried (as seen on TV). And he succeeded until some unknown young juvenile males mistook him for a meal. But polar bears--which the Romans and ancient chinese kept in captivity--are known, like zebras, to be completely untameable. They
December 22nd 09 09:24 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 265
William C. Haines (1939-2009) by samsloan
Bill Haines once wrote: "When I die, the one thing I DON'T want, is to have Sam Sloan write the news release!". http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.chess.politics/msg/0de06f9187b6060d Naturally, this has made me reluctant to be the one to issue the news release. He died several weeks ago in Vallejo, California and nobody has done it, but it should be done, so I will have to be the one...
December 18th 09 11:18 PM
by jkh001 Go to last post
3 469
Sixth American Chess Congress, New York 1889 by RayLopez99
On Nov 27, 5:03*pm, " wrote: This book was rare even in the 19th century, since it was consciously designed to be of value for collectors. It was supposed to be for congress subscribers only, and the plates were destroyed after I belive 500 copies were sold. It is a very good book and hard to fined. Good point. And if...
December 16th 09 04:50 PM
by RayLopez99 Go to last post
0 336
XBoard/Winboard 4.4.2 released by Arun
This release includes several bugfixes. You can get the source code for XBoard/Winboard at: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/xboard Windows binaries will be available at: http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewforum.php?f=19
December 8th 09 06:35 AM
by Arun Go to last post
0 372
Can White Win this? Weiss vs. Chigorin New York 1889 by samsloan
I sent this book to the printers yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, where I spent Thanksgiving in the company of my devoted computer. This book of the New York 1889 Chess Congress by William Steinitz will be out and published by the middle of next week. I expect that this book will be my best selling chess book because it is otherwise unavailable. If you want this book relatively inexpensively I...
November 27th 09 03:50 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
1 287
Can White Win this? Weiss vs. Chigorin New York 1889 by samsloan
New York 1889 was a 20 player double round robin. As such, there were 38 rounds with 10 games each round. However, there was an unusual special rule: If two players drew their second game, that game did not count and they had to play a third game. Only if their third game was also a draw did it count as a draw. There were 48 times that this happened. The most noteworthy time was when Max Weiss...
November 25th 09 11:59 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
1 296
Get Club - How many games do you have to play? by RocketMan[_2_]
Any chance of you answering my questions, Sanny? Also, another question... Why does GetClub play even worse on the higher levels? Same silly nonsensical moves, just takes longer to think about them (2 hrs 15 mins in one case! On Master). RocketMan wrote: You have seen sites more ugly than GetClub?!! I find that EXTREMELY unbelieveable! Any chance of letting us in on what site/s...
November 20th 09 02:44 PM
by Thomas T. Veldhouse[_2_] Go to last post
4 426
Truong Admits that he is NOT a US Citizen by samsloan
Okay. Are you a citizen of this country? No, I am not. What is your citizenship? I'm sorry? Where are you a citizen of? I am stateless. You are stateless? Yes. Okay.
November 17th 09 02:26 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 328
Where to get IPPOLIT the Rybka killer? by Peter C. Meyer
Where to get IPPOLIT the Rybka killer? Peter
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 8th 09 01:19 PM
by NoBodyYouKnow Go to last post
18 1,104
XBoard/Winboard 4.4.1 released by Arun
This release includes several new features and lots of bugfixes. You can get the source code for XBoard/Winboard at: http://www.gnu.org/software/xboard/ Windows binaries will be available at: http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewforum.php?f=19
October 31st 09 06:09 PM
by Arun Go to last post
0 393
Post New Thread