Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Sixth American Chess Congress, New York 1889 by RayLopez99
On Nov 27, 5:03*pm, " wrote: This book was rare even in the 19th century, since it was consciously designed to be of value for collectors. It was supposed to be for congress subscribers only, and the plates were destroyed after I belive 500 copies were sold. It is a very good book and hard to fined. Good point. And if...
December 16th 09 04:50 PM
by RayLopez99 Go to last post
0 301
XBoard/Winboard 4.4.2 released by Arun
This release includes several bugfixes. You can get the source code for XBoard/Winboard at: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/xboard Windows binaries will be available at: http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewforum.php?f=19
December 8th 09 06:35 AM
by Arun Go to last post
0 331
Can White Win this? Weiss vs. Chigorin New York 1889 by samsloan
I sent this book to the printers yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, where I spent Thanksgiving in the company of my devoted computer. This book of the New York 1889 Chess Congress by William Steinitz will be out and published by the middle of next week. I expect that this book will be my best selling chess book because it is otherwise unavailable. If you want this book relatively inexpensively I...
November 27th 09 03:50 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
1 249
Can White Win this? Weiss vs. Chigorin New York 1889 by samsloan
New York 1889 was a 20 player double round robin. As such, there were 38 rounds with 10 games each round. However, there was an unusual special rule: If two players drew their second game, that game did not count and they had to play a third game. Only if their third game was also a draw did it count as a draw. There were 48 times that this happened. The most noteworthy time was when Max Weiss...
November 25th 09 11:59 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
1 267
Get Club - How many games do you have to play? by RocketMan[_2_]
Any chance of you answering my questions, Sanny? Also, another question... Why does GetClub play even worse on the higher levels? Same silly nonsensical moves, just takes longer to think about them (2 hrs 15 mins in one case! On Master). RocketMan wrote: You have seen sites more ugly than GetClub?!! I find that EXTREMELY unbelieveable! Any chance of letting us in on what site/s...
November 20th 09 02:44 PM
by Thomas T. Veldhouse[_2_] Go to last post
4 365
Truong Admits that he is NOT a US Citizen by samsloan
Okay. Are you a citizen of this country? No, I am not. What is your citizenship? I'm sorry? Where are you a citizen of? I am stateless. You are stateless? Yes. Okay.
November 17th 09 02:26 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 294
Where to get IPPOLIT the Rybka killer? by Peter C. Meyer
Where to get IPPOLIT the Rybka killer? Peter
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 8th 09 01:19 PM
by NoBodyYouKnow Go to last post
18 884
XBoard/Winboard 4.4.1 released by Arun
This release includes several new features and lots of bugfixes. You can get the source code for XBoard/Winboard at: http://www.gnu.org/software/xboard/ Windows binaries will be available at: http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewforum.php?f=19
October 31st 09 06:09 PM
by Arun Go to last post
0 342
Winner of the Polgar-Truong Award for Bringing Great New Publicity toChess by samsloan
Denver News Colorado Chess Master To Be On 'Most Wanted' Saturday Program To Feature Robert Snyder POSTED: 12:21 pm MDT October 22, 2009 DENVER -- A former chess master from Fort Collins wanted for failing to register as a sex offender, will be featured on "America's Most
October 31st 09 03:32 AM
by Inconnux Go to last post
5 341
Fritz 12 coming October 7th by rahw
On Sep 27, 6:01*am, rgca wrote: Amazon.com:http://xrl.us/Fritz12A ChessCafe.com review: http://www.chesscafe.com/Reviews/review709.htm
October 30th 09 01:39 AM
by rahw Go to last post
0 272
The Cat in the Hat Comes Back by samsloan
Many will recall the incident at the 2006 World Open which had a $20,000 first prize where a previously little known chess player wearing a big floppy hat defeated Grandmaster Smirin, one of the strongest players in the world. After that, when forced to remove his hat, his play became much worse, dropping to the Class B level. He became known as "The Cat in the Hat". An article appeared in...
October 29th 09 11:09 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
4 271
Fundamentos del Ajedrez by Capablanca published today; ChessFundamentals in Spanish by Offramp
On 27 Oct, 01:07, samsloan wrote: Ishi Press International is proud to announce the publication today of *Fundamentos del Ajedrez Roughly translated: Arseholes of Chess. Is anyone we know in it?
October 27th 09 10:26 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
2 284
Fundamentos del Ajedrez by Capablanca published today; ChessFundamentals in Spanish by MrVidmar
samsloan wrote: Ishi Press International is proud to announce the publication today of Fundamentos del Ajedrez by Jose Raul Capablanca, with an introduction by Woman International Chess Master Beatriz Mansilla Marinello. This is the same book as "Chess Fundamentals", except that it is in Spanish. The book is available today at Barnes and Noble on line for a low pre- ...
October 27th 09 01:58 PM
by MrVidmar Go to last post
2 432
Did Truong Take the Fifth? by samsloan
I have heard that Paul Truong took the Fifth Amendment numerous times during his deposition in Lubbock Texas. Is this true? Can anybody confirm this? It is my understanding that one cannot take the Fifth selectively, refusing to answer some questions but not others. If one wants to take the Fifth, one must refuse to answer any questions other than identifying your name and address, or one must...
October 22nd 09 05:22 PM
by Rob Go to last post
9 422
Is Help Bot a magician? by Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod)
On Oct 18, 6:52*am, Sanny addresses a non-issue about "help bot": No, he is very intelligent. Said who? Said SAT & Sanny. ***
October 22nd 09 12:21 PM
by Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod) Go to last post
4 309
It is impossible to completely eliminate fraud in title applications by samsloan
There is nothing in place to stop someone from doing again what Tanner did. However, the MSA makes it noticeable, which is how Tanner got caught. Back in 1992-1993 when these events actually occurred, it was impossible to detect this sort of thong. In short, it is never possible to completely eliminate fraud. Far more serious things have happened in FIDE. For example, in about 1998 a player...
October 21st 09 03:22 PM
by None Go to last post
2 415
Slow Progress in Illinois Case USCF vs. Polgar and Truong by samsloan
Docket detail for case 2008-MR-000751: Case: 2008-MR-000751 Type: Other Assigned Judge: ZAPPA Filed: 12/29/2008 Status: Open Report: Open Case Participant Attorney
October 15th 09 02:09 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 310
GetClub gets more pride !!! by MeaningWhat[_2_]
Sanny schrieb: That doesn't give you the right to spam all these news group- Hide quoted text - I never spam. I always know that I do not spam. I only come here to learn from chess players how to improve GetClub. A few people cannot see that GetClub playing good and since they are unable to beat GetClub. They have found new ways to criticize me.
October 14th 09 03:36 PM
by Thomas T. Veldhouse[_2_] Go to last post
1 273
Wall Street Journal advocates Abolishing Women's Chess Titles by samsloan
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703298004574457393421190888.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_RIGHTTopCarousel Note that somebody is finally noticing. Alisa Melekhina has her picture in the Wall Street Journal. Perhaps some day she will even get her picture in Chess Life magazine. Sam Sloan
October 14th 09 12:36 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
1 417
Good Obituary of Jerry Hanken in the Boston Globe by samsloan
Here is the obituary of Jerry Hanken in the Boston Globe. http://www.boston.com/ae/games/articles/2009/10/12/chess_notes/ Sam Sloan
October 14th 09 06:03 AM
by Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod) Go to last post
1 362
Post New Thread

Display Options
Showing threads 221 to 240 of 6313