Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
GM opening advice vs computer analysis by [email protected]
in my book, Better Chess Openings, with a first part for beginners, and the rest for chess club level, i mostly have focussed on main lines, comparable with e.g. with the Quality Chess GM repertoire series, but in a more condensed and for beginners, much more simple manner. For beginners i sometimes deviate from the main 'best' line, to simplify things. Here is the book...
1 1,259
learning chess openings by [email protected]
problems in the opening phase when playing online or Otb ? Now there is a new book teaching almost *all* (sub-IM) chess-players the openings, which openings to play, and which you can better avoid: http://www.lulu.com/shop/jef-kaan/better-chess-openings/ebook/product-21823166.html Developed with the help of computer chess (so therefore it's posted in this forum),
5 817
Playchess server down? by Chris
I just tried to connect to the PlayChess server. Has it been down since 10/13? If so then someone should explain to them what redundancy is. Also they should stop advertising new features of Playchess.com until their server is back online.............. Chris
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 14th 14 08:40 PM
by Sean Castleton Go to last post
11 1,458
Position upper bound 169 bits WITH PROOF by Full Decent
Hello, I have not found any proofs for the upper bound on the number of chess positions, so here is mine, clocking in at 169 bits. Will Entriken - 2006 Encoding chess positions with about 164 bits. This paper describes how to encode any legal chess position in less
7 1,012
More CPU cores not always better by Martin Brown
On 27/06/2014 11:47, John Devereux wrote: Martin Brown writes: On 26/06/2014 21:19, John Devereux wrote: He might benefit from looking at the Scientific American article whose infographic is already out of date (and cat's brain is missing LEDs) but shows the raw compute power and storage capacity of various computers and animals.
July 2nd 14 11:22 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
2 664
Good graphics, friendly chess for PC? by Jane Galt[_2_]
I'm not an advanced player. I used to like Chessmaster for the graphics and a friendly game, but it never worked well and crashed a lot. Now I understand it's gone. So what can I get for the PC that has that good a graphics, and I can play a decent relaxed game, without getting my butt kicked 100% of the time, which is discouraging? I used to like playing Chessmaster without a timer, and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 7th 14 12:24 AM
by reşat özdemir Go to last post
20 2,676
chessbase 9 runtime errors! by Wahooka
I get frequent crashes with CB 9 . I have the latest upgrade. My computer has 1 Gig of RAM and a fast processor. I run Windoz XP. My last error involved "runtime error 22106" when copying TWIC database to my Mega 2004 database. This freezes the program, and I have to go to the Windows Task Manager to shut it down (and that with some difficulty, it doesn't want to
February 10th 14 04:46 PM
by FixForError_22106 Go to last post
5 2,041
Brute force on storage by [email protected]
Considering that storage space is nowadays very cheap (portable 2TB HD 2.5" is now around 100€) and with this space is possible to memorize all known positions of the played games and with DB technology the search of them will be instantaneous, I was wondering if for opening and middle game was possible to adopt a strategy like this: "in every position I will choose the move of the winner of the...
November 11th 13 10:30 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
2 747
Chess Studio App iPhone/iPad by [email protected]
Dear all, Chess Studio is the new app for iPhone/iPad to create and manage chess database. For information https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/chess-studio/id684224545?mt=8 For other information ask to
0 901
Engines for error categorization? by David Joerg
Hello, is anyone aware of any chess engines that attempt to categorize / explain errors? I am hoping there is a chess engine that can be used as part of an automated or semi-automated coaching system. The classification of errors in a player's past games could be useful for this purpose, as discussed in several popular books and articles, some of which are mentioned he...
July 25th 13 08:10 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
1 578
On a Mac, converting chessbase to PGN by [email protected]
Is there free Mac software which converts chessbase game files to PGN files? Alternatively, is there an online site where you can submit (or email) a chessbase file, and get back a PGN file? I know there is the free chessbase-lite which runs on Microsoft systems, but I'd like to avoid installing a Microsoft emulator.
2 1,261
My Games from the New Yorker Open May 25-27, 2013 by Joe keane
In article , samsloan wrote: 1.g4 d5 2.Bg2 c6 I was planning to write a book "How to beat Sam Sloan if he's White", but you just published the whole thing.
June 3rd 13 09:34 PM
by Joe keane Go to last post
0 597
Chess Games by Sergiu Herman
Hello Everybody How you can get Chess Games on the screen of the webtv play by very known Players life Botvinik-Fisher- Capablanca etc. many years ago I use to have a lot of this Games play by big players and replay the games and move the chess pieces, but I forget how I did it, I will be very appreciative if someone knows very good how to do it.I am not...
May 18th 13 10:12 AM
by Nhom ? 51TH2 Go to last post
1 821
Winner of the award for most beautiful girl chess player by samsloan
Winner of the award for most beautiful girl chess player It was a close contest with many worthy contestants, and a difficult choice to make. But the winner on tie-breaking points for the Sam Sloan Special Reward for most beautiful girl chess player at the 2012 World Open Chess Championship in Philadelphia has been won by Anna Matlin. A stunning beauty, Anna is a strong chess player too. Rated...
February 24th 13 12:39 PM
by GK Go to last post
2 1,013
Smullyan Problem in Sherlock Holmes book by Christopher Heckman
I was re-reading Raymond Smullyan's _The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes_, and I came to the section "Some Chilling Reminiscences", specifically the second problem. The board is given as: 8/p1p1p1p1/p1kP2p1/8/P1N3N1/1P1bP1PP/1Q1Pq2P/r3n2B (in FEN notation), with the condition that Black is to mate on the move; where is the White King? Smullyan provides a solution using retrograde analysis,...
January 18th 13 11:52 AM
by Andy Walker[_2_] Go to last post
1 789
Chess engine design resources by Thinus Barnard
A chess engine can in many cases be broken up into the following areas: The chess game rules: - Board representation (a confusing term for me, I prefer game state) - Interface - Move generation (heavily influenced by how the board is represented) The engine: - Position Evaluation - Search
January 11th 13 03:31 AM
by Thinus Barnard Go to last post
0 573
Chess engine design resources by [email protected]
On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:34:32 PM UTC-8, Jason Benjamin wrote: I am not an experienced user of newsgroups and I know virtually nothing of how to create chess programs. I have come upon a wiki at the http site chessprogramming.wikispaces.com and find it as a vague but varied reference on the subject. However, I have downloaded the sources of some chess programs...
0 522
Sam Sloan at Reno-Western States Open by Offramp
On Oct 28, 4:17*am, samsloan wrote:
November 11th 12 05:07 PM
by Kelly Fergason Go to last post
1 530
Free Android App for chess tactics training by Zuril[_8_]
Free Android app for chess tactics training https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cisana.ideatactics Zuril
October 14th 12 10:06 AM
by Zuril[_8_] Go to last post
0 736
chess puzzles java by jmrw
I would like to make chess puzzles as this on (at the bottom of the page) http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/who-was-nikolaiuml-dimitrievitch-grigoriev Do you have an idea where I can find some software to do it. Thanks jmrw
September 22nd 12 08:18 PM
by jmrw Go to last post
0 739
Post New Thread