Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Pairing in a Swiss-System tournament? by No Spam Please
How do you pair players in this system of tournament? Say there are 8 players 1,2,3,....,8. How do you generate a pair? What is the algorithm? -- Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
January 27th 04 06:54 PM
by Yves Surmont Go to last post
1 364
remis.ctg by Leonardo Ljubicic
Remis.ctg does not allow editing of probability of a move be played? This way many popular openings are never played. Can anyone shed some light? Is there a way to make probability of move to be played equal to the percentage of the times it has been played? Thanks.
January 27th 04 06:30 PM
by HD Go to last post
1 311
Where are annotated, instructional PGN games? by Gandalfling
--- Where are *annotated* PGN games for young players? --- Help! I'm aware of Pitt archives, I've searched Chessopolis, Chessville, and The Week In Chess, but I cannot find annotated PGN games, well, to be more precise, annotated in simple fashion for young improving players like Irving Chernev's "Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played", or Weeramantry's "Best Lessons of a Chess Coach" or...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 27th 04 06:16 PM
by Mike Leahy Go to last post
10 1,242
Shredder 8 is much faster by Euc1id
Shredder 8 is much faster compared to Shredder 7.04. About 6x faster in my tests. I'm not talking about kN/s. They're very similar in that regard. But the Shredder 8 engine gets to the same search depth about 6x faster than the Shredder 704 engine. For example with a particular position it took Shredder 704 about 6 hours to arrive at the 21/50 search depth, but only about 1 hour for Shredder...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 27th 04 05:27 PM
by Derek Wildstar Go to last post
23 720
Chessmaster 9000 - The King a CPU hog? by Gregory Topov
I find that whenever I am in the "Game Room" part of Chessmaster 9000, "The King" engine hogs all my CPU. (in WinXP I can monitor this using the "Processes" tab of Windows Task Manager). If I'm in any other part of Chessmaster (unless playing a game of course), this doesn't happen. It's understandable that it would do this if it's analyzing a game, but why should the engine hog the CPU if I'm...
January 27th 04 03:05 PM
by Scott Roper Go to last post
3 312
New ChessBase? by Marcel Alsemgeest
Hi everyone, I am thinking of buying ChessBase 8.0, but since it is some years old already, I'm wondering if a new version might be released soon. I've heard some vague rumours about a ChessBase 9.0, but I can't find anything about that on the internet. Does anyone in this newsgroup know if a ChessBase 9.0 will appear soon, or not? Regards,
January 27th 04 01:36 PM
by Christoph P_f_rommer Go to last post
7 313
Shredder 8 and Deep Fritz 8 by Fis2
In order to install both programs on a single machine. Wich program must I install first? or it's the same? Any differences in 3D possibilities? Are they the same program with different engine? Can I install just one of them and then the other engine? Thanks
January 27th 04 11:22 AM
by HD Go to last post
6 229
CM9K - Big Diff between Win Me and XP by Mark
A while back I was curious to see what CM9K rating my Chess Tiger Palm device was playing at using various levels for CTiger. Example: after a number of games, CTiger (set to move instantly) rated about 1450 vs CM. (CM9K running on 850 mhz pentium III). I recently upgraded my desktop from Windows Me to XP Home and CM9K. This made my desktop perform more smoothly, so I thought I would check...
January 27th 04 03:12 AM
by John Merlino Go to last post
1 151
Running Free Rebel DOS 12 in winboard by n o s p a m p l e a s e
Is it possible? If so, how? Thanx/nsp
January 26th 04 04:57 PM
by NoKetch Go to last post
2 222
Crafty Problem with specifying tablebases path by n o s p a m p l e a s e
I installed crafty on win98 and specified path to table as follows: "D:\Program Files\TB" What it takes is "D:\Program as seen from log files. I also tried D:\Program Files\TB but it takes as D:\Program How do I specify it so that it takes blank into account?
January 26th 04 01:28 PM
by No Spam Please Go to last post
2 193
Playing Chess Engines Against One Another by Grahame Booth
I am totally new to the concept of playing different programs against one another, so am looking for some tips. I own Chessmaster9000 which has the capability of importing other chess engines as a profile and then play Chessmaster against the other engines. Last night I setup a game between Chessmaster and Crafty19.08. Since this has caught my interest, is there some guidelines on how this...
January 25th 04 11:34 PM
by Josť de Paula Go to last post
6 262
Engine for Commercial Use by C Mayer
I am looking for a chess engine to be used in a commercial product, and would be grateful for any suggestions on locating one, whether it be freeware, royalty based, or any other method of acquiring rights to use it in a commercial product. Thank you, C. Mayer
January 25th 04 08:54 PM
by David Richerby Go to last post
9 237
converting chess-assistent by Lars Balzer
Dear chessfriends, does anyone know a tool to convert Chess-Assistent gamefiles into e.g. pgn? Thanks for any hints. ciao Lars --
January 25th 04 08:33 PM
by Robert Pawlak Go to last post
2 160
Event on January 30th: Chessbrain vs Peter Heine Nielsen by Sascha Luehrs
Hello On January 30th the distributed computing project ChessBrain will play a match against danish chess grandmaster Peter Heine Nielsen (http://www.fide.com/ratings/card.phtml?event=1400355). Anyone who would like to help ChessBrain to defeat Nielsen this day, by lending Chessbrain a little bit of computing power, can get the client software (whitch ist non-invasive, free and without any...
January 25th 04 04:21 PM
by Sascha Luehrs Go to last post
0 348
FICS timeseal source by Josť de Paula
Are the FICS timeseal sources anywhere to be found? I can only find the binaries on ftp.fics.org. -- Emacs is a great operating system---it lacks a good editor, though.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 25th 04 03:01 PM
by David Richerby Go to last post
40 1,001
my CCC login just quit working by Euc1id
Is anyone else having a problem logging into CCC, or is it just me? -- Euc1id
January 25th 04 03:01 PM
by Gilbert Billiau Go to last post
1 273
ICC Server Down by Ken Guyton
The ICC main server is down and their main message on the back up server says they don't have an estimated time for it coming back up. Are there any ICC folks on here who know what happened? Ken Guyton
January 25th 04 01:29 AM
by Largo SQL Tools Go to last post
1 210
Fritz chat question? by Fjx1
When using Fritz online(playchess) how to you send a chat message to all?
January 25th 04 01:22 AM
by GEACPS Go to last post
1 187
Software question by Tony Brown
All, I am returning to USCF competition and I memorize opening variations, despite the argument to stray away from this. My question is: is there a software/freeware/experimental_program available that will aide me in memorizing lines? It does not have to play chess, all it needs to do is hold a variation that I name, and make the moves of the variation as I advance the moves ... and of...
January 24th 04 10:51 PM
by Tony Brown Go to last post
8 196
deep fritz 8 vs shredder 704 by Blackbeard's Ghost
deep fritz 8 is very strong: in a recent match on 2 computers (1.2ghz pentium 3 with 512 mb ram and 228 mb hash tables for each engine) autoplayed with "ponder on" at 60 moves in 90 min, it defeated shredder 704; played 52: won 19; lost = 13; drew = 20 currently df8 is playing against ruffian 2 games are as posted:
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 24th 04 08:25 PM
by Blackbeard's Ghost Go to last post
30 1,890