Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Chessmaster 9000 - The King a CPU hog? by Gregory Topov
I find that whenever I am in the "Game Room" part of Chessmaster 9000, "The King" engine hogs all my CPU. (in WinXP I can monitor this using the "Processes" tab of Windows Task Manager). If I'm in any other part of Chessmaster (unless playing a game of course), this doesn't happen. It's understandable that it would do this if it's analyzing a game, but why should the engine hog the CPU if I'm...
January 27th 04 02:05 PM
by Scott Roper Go to last post
3 278
New ChessBase? by Marcel Alsemgeest
Hi everyone, I am thinking of buying ChessBase 8.0, but since it is some years old already, I'm wondering if a new version might be released soon. I've heard some vague rumours about a ChessBase 9.0, but I can't find anything about that on the internet. Does anyone in this newsgroup know if a ChessBase 9.0 will appear soon, or not? Regards,
January 27th 04 12:36 PM
by Christoph P_f_rommer Go to last post
7 300
Shredder 8 and Deep Fritz 8 by Fis2
In order to install both programs on a single machine. Wich program must I install first? or it's the same? Any differences in 3D possibilities? Are they the same program with different engine? Can I install just one of them and then the other engine? Thanks
January 27th 04 10:22 AM
by HD Go to last post
6 217
CM9K - Big Diff between Win Me and XP by Mark
A while back I was curious to see what CM9K rating my Chess Tiger Palm device was playing at using various levels for CTiger. Example: after a number of games, CTiger (set to move instantly) rated about 1450 vs CM. (CM9K running on 850 mhz pentium III). I recently upgraded my desktop from Windows Me to XP Home and CM9K. This made my desktop perform more smoothly, so I thought I would check...
January 27th 04 02:12 AM
by John Merlino Go to last post
1 142
Running Free Rebel DOS 12 in winboard by n o s p a m p l e a s e
Is it possible? If so, how? Thanx/nsp
January 26th 04 03:57 PM
by NoKetch Go to last post
2 212
Crafty Problem with specifying tablebases path by n o s p a m p l e a s e
I installed crafty on win98 and specified path to table as follows: "D:\Program Files\TB" What it takes is "D:\Program as seen from log files. I also tried D:\Program Files\TB but it takes as D:\Program How do I specify it so that it takes blank into account?
January 26th 04 12:28 PM
by No Spam Please Go to last post
2 184
Playing Chess Engines Against One Another by Grahame Booth
I am totally new to the concept of playing different programs against one another, so am looking for some tips. I own Chessmaster9000 which has the capability of importing other chess engines as a profile and then play Chessmaster against the other engines. Last night I setup a game between Chessmaster and Crafty19.08. Since this has caught my interest, is there some guidelines on how this...
January 25th 04 10:34 PM
by José de Paula Go to last post
6 252
Engine for Commercial Use by C Mayer
I am looking for a chess engine to be used in a commercial product, and would be grateful for any suggestions on locating one, whether it be freeware, royalty based, or any other method of acquiring rights to use it in a commercial product. Thank you, C. Mayer
January 25th 04 07:54 PM
by David Richerby Go to last post
9 222
converting chess-assistent by Lars Balzer
Dear chessfriends, does anyone know a tool to convert Chess-Assistent gamefiles into e.g. pgn? Thanks for any hints. ciao Lars --
January 25th 04 07:33 PM
by Robert Pawlak Go to last post
2 152
Event on January 30th: Chessbrain vs Peter Heine Nielsen by Sascha Luehrs
Hello On January 30th the distributed computing project ChessBrain will play a match against danish chess grandmaster Peter Heine Nielsen (http://www.fide.com/ratings/card.phtml?event=1400355). Anyone who would like to help ChessBrain to defeat Nielsen this day, by lending Chessbrain a little bit of computing power, can get the client software (whitch ist non-invasive, free and without any...
January 25th 04 03:21 PM
by Sascha Luehrs Go to last post
0 326
FICS timeseal source by José de Paula
Are the FICS timeseal sources anywhere to be found? I can only find the binaries on ftp.fics.org. -- Emacs is a great operating system---it lacks a good editor, though.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 25th 04 02:01 PM
by David Richerby Go to last post
40 918
my CCC login just quit working by Euc1id
Is anyone else having a problem logging into CCC, or is it just me? -- Euc1id
January 25th 04 02:01 PM
by Gilbert Billiau Go to last post
1 254
ICC Server Down by Ken Guyton
The ICC main server is down and their main message on the back up server says they don't have an estimated time for it coming back up. Are there any ICC folks on here who know what happened? Ken Guyton
January 25th 04 12:29 AM
by Largo SQL Tools Go to last post
1 199
Fritz chat question? by Fjx1
When using Fritz online(playchess) how to you send a chat message to all?
January 25th 04 12:22 AM
by GEACPS Go to last post
1 179
Software question by Tony Brown
All, I am returning to USCF competition and I memorize opening variations, despite the argument to stray away from this. My question is: is there a software/freeware/experimental_program available that will aide me in memorizing lines? It does not have to play chess, all it needs to do is hold a variation that I name, and make the moves of the variation as I advance the moves ... and of...
January 24th 04 09:51 PM
by Tony Brown Go to last post
8 187
deep fritz 8 vs shredder 704 by Blackbeard's Ghost
deep fritz 8 is very strong: in a recent match on 2 computers (1.2ghz pentium 3 with 512 mb ram and 228 mb hash tables for each engine) autoplayed with "ponder on" at 60 moves in 90 min, it defeated shredder 704; played 52: won 19; lost = 13; drew = 20 currently df8 is playing against ruffian 2 games are as posted:
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 24th 04 07:25 PM
by Blackbeard's Ghost Go to last post
30 1,783
Auctions this weekend: Chess Mentor Comprehensive + Add On modules by Michael J. Russell
Complete Chess Mentor COMPREHENSIVE course http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3171135022&rd=1 ...and new Roots of Positional Understanding (by I.M. Jeremy Silman) add-on module for Chess Mentor available for bidding this weekend at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3171137003&rd=1 Also watch for Sicilian Defense and new Kings Indian add-on modules for
January 23rd 04 10:26 PM
by Michael J. Russell Go to last post
0 249
How to use crafty to automatically analyze many games on linux by Martin Wilber
I am thinking about using crafty to analyze a collection of games in pgn format on linux. If anyone has some shell scripts to help in doing this or some pointers on settings, etc, it would be much appreciated. Marty
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 23rd 04 09:39 PM
by Werner Mühlpfordt Go to last post
11 362
RIDICULOUS crossposting and how to STOP it by David Richerby
Originally mis-posted to rec.games.chess.computers; corrected. Harold Buck wrote: I'm not naiive enough to believe that this post is going to stop the people who insist on posting to every chess group. But what if--every time we notice it happening--we reply to the message, trim the groups it's posted to appropriately, and then include the message "CROSSPOST ...
January 23rd 04 04:14 PM
by Euc1id Go to last post
1 167
Fritz 8 question related to "what the game contains" by No Spam Please
In the database mode (F12) in Fritz 8 there are several columns with information: ECO code, date, result, number of moves. On the right is a column that tells what the game contain: V = variations C = commentary A = graphic annotations etc
January 22nd 04 11:43 PM
by CeeBee Go to last post
3 163
Post New Thread