Incredible 12 month chess winning streak!

Old July 18th 11, 05:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Detectorist[_2_]

Default Incredible 12 month chess winning streak!

Look up Mr. Alexander Zelner on the USCF rating web site. He is
currently rated over 2400. During the last 12 months he has won 135
out of 136 tournament games!!
I know him personally. He owns the Orlando Chess and Games club and is
a great person with a great family and has given much to chess.

Congratulations, Alex!!!
Old July 18th 11, 02:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Offramp

On Jul 18, 5:21*am, Detectorist wrote:
Look up Mr. Alexander Zelner on the USCF rating web site. He is
currently rated over 2400. During the last 12 months he has won 135
out of 136 tournament games!!
I know him personally. He owns the Orlando Chess and Games club and is
a great person with a great family and has given much to chess.

Congratulations, Alex!!!

That is amazing; does it mean that he has won every tournament he has
been in?
Old July 18th 11, 03:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Detectorist[_2_]

On Jul 18, 8:01*am, Offramp wrote:
On Jul 18, 5:21*am, Detectorist wrote:

Look up Mr. Alexander Zelner on the USCF rating web site. He is
currently rated over 2400. During the last 12 months he has won 135
out of 136 tournament games!!
I know him personally. He owns the Orlando Chess and Games club and is
a great person with a great family and has given much to chess.

Congratulations, Alex!!!

That is amazing; does it mean that he has won every tournament he has
been in?

Looks like he's won 37 out of 38 tournaments he's played during the
last 12 months. His only loss was to his wife.

This sort of shows an interesting quirk of the rating system. You can
advance in rating in 2 ways. Beating a bunch of lower rated players or
beating higher rated players. He's hammered those lower rated players,
many who were rated close to 2300.
Old July 18th 11, 08:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
RayLopez99

On Jul 18, 9:59*pm, Detectorist wrote:
[...]

Thanks for bringing this up. It shows you can game the USCF system--as
I accused Dr. Fart (SBD) in this forum of doing, as it seemed to me
that he played the same circle of cronies in Alabama, though it was
not as obvious as it is in Zelner's case. Here, Zelner in FL seems to
be paying off people to lose to him--probably it's part of his joke
routine to offer them $5 to throw their game and/or a chance to be in
on an elaborate practical joke at the expense of the USCF. Or it's
possible he is cheating by wearing a computer.

http://main.uschess.org/datapage/rat...memid=12400396

You can see from this graph that this practical joke started in 2003
and has been going on since. Before then his graph had ups and downs,
and looked more reasonable.

It's obvious after this that it does not pay to join or play in the
USCF--and when people ask me why I don't I can point to this example.

RL
Old July 18th 11, 11:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Detectorist

On Jul 18, 2:58*pm, raylopez99 wrote:
[...]

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Alex Zelner
doesn't have to pay anybody off. He is a very good player, that's all.
Old July 19th 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Detectorist

I understand. However, on the way to this incredible streak, he's
beaten 19 experts and 4 masters without a loss. That's a heck of a run.
Old July 19th 11, 02:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Taylor Kingston[_3_]

On Jul 18, 4:15*pm, Detectorist wrote:
I understand. However, on the way to this incredible streak, he's
beaten 19 experts and 4 masters without a loss. That's a heck of a run.

That does indicate a real increase in strength. How old is Mr.
Zelner?
Old July 19th 11, 02:23 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Detectorist

On Jul 18, 8:14*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote:
On Jul 18, 4:15*pm, Detectorist wrote:

I understand. However, on the way to this incredible streak, he's
beaten 19 experts and 4 masters without a loss. That's a heck of a run.

* That does indicate a real increase in strength. How old is Mr.
Zelner?

I'm thinking about 50ish. See, I have hope!!!

Old July 19th 11, 03:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
MikeMurray

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:15:27 -0700 (PDT), Detectorist
wrote:

I understand. However, on the way to this incredible streak, he's
beaten 19 experts and 4 masters without a loss. That's a heck of a run

Some players very consistently beat weaker players, but are erratic
against their peers and very unsuccessful against stronger opponents.
Other players seem able to beat almost anybody on a given day but are
also prone to dropping a point to almost anybody on another.

If one of the super-consistent guys sticks to contests populated by
players weaker than himself, he may well become overrated.

Some geographic or age-related pools of players may be over or under
rated. For example, the set of seniors probably has a much higher
ratio of players with current strength lower than their rating or
their rating floor, for example, and the issue of the rapidly
improving under-rated juniors has been much discussed.

I suspect that rapidly improving players tend to prioritize the high
prize class events, which means rating points would be harder to come
by in those events.

So, someone playing low-prize fund tournaments in a region with a lot
of retirees and without much junior activity might glean a rating
higher than he'd get by contesting class sections of high-prize fund
national tournaments.

I'm not saying it's cheating to target events where rating improvement
is more likely, but it's naive to think two ratings of "x" have
necessarily measured the same performance.