Old California Player Joseph D. Redding

Old April 26th 12, 08:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Old California Player Joseph D. Redding

An article of mine on this player who I find to be quite interesting
just appeared at

http://www.readex.com/readex/newslet...89&article=191

Jerry Spinrad
Old April 29th 12, 07:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
RayLopez99

On Friday, April 27, 2012 3:54:32 AM UTC+8, wrote:
An article of mine on this player who I find to be quite interesting
just appeared at

http://www.readex.com/readex/newslet...89&article=191

Jerry Spinrad

Good **** Jerry. Some of my favorite sentences below.

I did not know the Mechanics Institute was such an institution -- going back over 100 years. A hoary institution, that you would do well to think about as you motor quickly up interstate I-880. Not to be confused with the quick sort of tactics favored by sometime chess player C.A.R. Hoare.

RL

"The first mention I found of Redding in the chess world is from 1881, when he is one of two players on a Mercantile Library team playing a match against a larger team from the Mechanics Institute. "

"Rumor has it, a well-known master named George Hatfield Gossip visited San Francisco in 1888"

"The fish commission was usually a quiet legislative backwater, but Redding had grand [CANAL?--RL] ideas."