Carlsen Anand W CH Games

Old November 11th 14, 04:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Phil Innes

Default Carlsen Anand W CH Games

Unsure who the commentator is, but I think it is Peter Svidler. Here is Game 3 so far, and looks like Anand will win the game leveling the score

Anand - Carlsen (game 3)

1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 e6 3 Nf3 d5 Magnus opted for something safer

4 Nc3 Be7 5 Bf4 0-0 Typical position for Queen's Gambit Declined

6 e3 Nbd7 7 c5 c6 Nf6 2 c4 e6 3 Nf3 d5 4 Nc3 Be7 5 Bf4O-O 6 e3 Nbd7 7 c5 c6 8 Bd3 b6 9 b4 a5 10 a3 Ba6 11 Bxa6 Rxa6 12 b5 The players are cranking out these book moves in lightning speed. Anand is going for a sharp line instead of something more positional.

12...cxb5 13 c6 Qc8 14 c7 b4 15 Nb5 We are still in theory.

15...a4 It is interesting that both teams feel that this position is good for them. We will see which team did a better job preparing for this game. 16 Rc1 is the move here. But Anand is taking time for this move and he is biting his nails. Did he forget his analysis?

16 Rc1 Ne4 Anand has 2 choices, 17 Ng5 (more aggressive and less well known) and 17 Nd2 (more popular).

17 Ng5 It seems that Magnus is surprised by 17 Ng5. Perhaps he was expecting Nd2. Magnus has a few decent responses. 17...Nxg5 17...Ndf6 or 17...Bxg5. He's taking time to decide how to proceed. Magnus has both hands over his face. He is in deep thought. Difficult decision to make on how to to continue this game.

If 17...Nxg5 18 Bd6 Ra5 19 Bxe7 Rxb5 20 Qxa4 Ra5 21 Qxb4 Ra7 22 Bxg5 Rxc7 23 Rxc7 Qxc7 is a possibility

Magnus after Anand played 17...Ng5

17...Ndf6 After about 30 minutes, Magnus chose the safer Ndf6. Wise choice if he can't remember all the analysis. Anand can take the knight of e4 then Bd6 or even Qc2. White is slightly better but Anand also needs to decide how to continue.

18 Nxe4 Nxe4 Interesting choice for Anand here is 19 f3. Anand could not have asked for a better chance. This is super sharp. One mistake by either side and it's over.

19. f3 has been played! Let's see who remembers more home analysis This is the 14th game between Carlsen-Anand in the past 2 WC matches. This is the best Anand got out of the opening so far in my opinion. The reason I said this is the best Anand got is because Magnus usually stays away from sharp theorical battles which clearly favor Anand.

19...Ra5 This is a possibility 20 fxe4 Rxb5 21 Qxa4 Ra5 22 Qc6 bxa3 23 exd5 exd5 24 O-O f5 25 Qxb6 Ra6 26 Qb3 Qe6 and White is better.

20 fxe4 Rxb5 21 Qxa4 Ra5 22 Qc6 Anand is up by more than 30 minutes on the clock. It's not that Magnus doesn't know this. But it's clear that he has to recall what he knows, which is costing him a lot of time.

22...bxa3 Let's be clear. Both sides know this line. But it seems that Anand remembers it better & Magnus has to recall what he knows.

23 exd5 We are still in theory. Magnus is thinking between 23...Rxd5 (a better choice) and 23...Bb4+.

23...Rxe5 And the best option for white here is 24 Qxb6. White has a lot to play for. Black's position is cramped.

24 Qxb6 Anand took time for this move, which is the only move top maintain initiatives. Now the plan for Magnus is to put his f8 R on c8. Therefore Qd7 makes sense.

24...Qd7 Now 25 Qa6 to put pressure on the c8 square.

25 0-0 Anand got cold feet and went with a safer option. Magnus only option is to put his Rook on the c file to block the passed pawn.

25...Rc8 Anand has to try to work the c pawn. So the idea is to play Rc6 to stop the mobility of the black queen, then either double up the rooks and Qa6 or move the other Rook to the b file.

26 Rc6 Time will be a serious factor soon. Magnus has about 25 minutes for 15 moves or so without increments. Not an easy task in this position. The problem for Magnus is there is really no "good" plan. And he cannot just sit because Anand can improve his position.

26...g5 27 Bg3 Another option is Be5 to provoke f6 then back to g3.

27...Bb4 A very interesting idea from Magnus. White cannot take the bishop because his rook of c6 is hanging. The idea is Ba5 to attack c7 pawn. Magnus is very clever. He is making Anand calculate this out. He is making it complicated for his opponent White is clearly better but has many options to continue: Ra1, Rc2, Qa6 or even Qb8. What to do, what to do? Not a good sign. Anand shook his head a few times. I think he's shocked by Bb4 from Magnus.

28. Ra1 This is the best option at this moment and Anand found it. 7 minutes for 12 moves for Magnus without increments. This is getting serious!

28...Ba5 This is a bad move as 29 Qa6 and white is close to winning.

29 Qa6 Bxc7 Another bad move. Now 30 Qc4 and white wins easily.

30 Qc4 I expect resignation to come soon. Impossible to hold this position.

31...e5 32 Bxe5 No chance to save this.
Old November 11th 14, 06:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
EJAY

Anand did indeed to level the score. I think the analysis came from Susan Polgar's blog. Now Anand has the monkey off his back.

EJAY
Old November 12th 14, 02:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Phil Innes

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:56:52 PM UTC-5, EJAY wrote:
Anand did indeed to level the score. I think the analysis came from Susan Polgar's blog. Now Anand has the monkey off his back.

EJAY

Current games are live via the Polgar site -- There are 2 commentators on live for game 4, neither is Susan Polgar.

Old November 12th 14, 11:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Phil Innes

On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:58:44 AM UTC-5, Phil Innes wrote:
On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:56:52 PM UTC-5, EJAY wrote:
Anand did indeed to level the score. I think the analysis came from Susan Polgar's blog. Now Anand has the monkey off his back.

EJAY

Current games are live via the Polgar site -- There are 2 commentators on live for game 4, neither is Susan Polgar.

4th game was a draw, tho Carlsen continued to press Anand the whole game with little traps and had what initiative there was. Maybe this will wear the guy down?
Old November 14th 14, 09:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Paul

On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:58:20 PM UTC, Phil Innes wrote:
On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:58:44 AM UTC-5, Phil Innes wrote:
On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:56:52 PM UTC-5, EJAY wrote:
Anand did indeed to level the score. I think the analysis came from Susan Polgar's blog. Now Anand has the monkey off his back.

EJAY

Current games are live via the Polgar site -- There are 2 commentators on live for game 4, neither is Susan Polgar.

4th game was a draw, tho Carlsen continued to press Anand the whole game with little traps and had what initiative there was. Maybe this will wear the guy down?

I don't think expert opinion sees game 4 the same way. If both players play equally well, we expect White to have a steady initiative for most of the game. I don't think White had a larger advantage than normal. I think both players played equally well and the computer analysis says the same thing.

I think it's fair to say, that, over the first four games overall, Carlsen has been the better player because he nearly won game 1 with Black.

Paul Epstein
Old November 14th 14, 03:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Peter Percival

Paul wrote:

I think it's fair to say, that, over the first four games overall,
Carlsen has been the better player because he nearly won game 1 with
Black.

What does it mean, to nearly win a game of chess?

--
[Dancing is] a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire,
legitimised by music.

Old November 15th 14, 04:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Phil Innes

Game 6, another Sic Lilian, LAUGH what a fill-in! Another Sicilian from Anand, but Magnus scores again to go a game up. I think he also has white in game 7.
Old November 16th 14, 03:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Phil Innes

On Saturday, November 15, 2014 10:25:14 AM UTC-5, Phil Innes wrote:
Game 6, another Sic Lilian, LAUGH what a fill-in! Another Sicilian from Anand, but Magnus scores again to go a game up. I think he also has white in game 7.

A blunder and a counter-blunder

Probably 'move 26' will go down in chess history as one of the most shocking moments witnessed in a top level game. In what can be described as a 'monumental blunder' Carlsen moved king to d2.

If Anand had waited and weighed his options even for a minute he would have went with 26... Nxe5 27. Rxg8 Nxc4+ 28. Kd3 Nb2+ 29. Ke2 Rxg8 30. Rxh6. This line of play would have dramatically changed the game.

Instead of capturing Magnus' 'E5' pawn, Anand replied with 'A4' in less than 12 seconds without much thinking. It proved to be a 'monumental counter-blunder'.

As it can be seen clearly, Magnus realised his mistake when he started noting down his move. He stops writing for some time when his blunder soaked in! Even though Vishy took some time to think, he went ahead with blundered back, followed by Magnus putting his head down in total disbelief at his luck.

The entire chess world erupted at once. Most of them were at a loss of words to describe what they had just witnessed. Chess Grand Master Nakamura thought it was a 'transmission error'.

Polgar tweeted, "Still stunned about what happened! It is not so often in this level for 2 top players to blunder back to back. This was the gift of the match for Anand and he did not see it. What a bad time for Anand to play instantly after Kd2!"

Russian Chess Grand Master Kramink who was commentating was asked how would one recover from such an oversight, he replied, "My experience is that you don't recover."

That is what exactly happened to Anand. After the blunder he never recovered and it will also have a scarring effect in the games to follow. Anand's mistake will haunt him for a very long time.

There was noting much left to play for. White started gobbling up Anand's pawns, and Anand never had a chance to recover back.
Old November 16th 14, 08:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Charles Milton Ling

On 16.11.2014 15:38, Phil Innes wrote:
[...]

It was 59 seconds.

--
Charles Milton Ling
Vienna, Austria
Old November 16th 14, 08:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Charles Milton Ling

[...]

Dennis Monokroussos (http://www.thechessmind.net/) writes:
"32.Be4+ Bc6? The computer suggests an incredible idea: 32...Ka7‼ After
33.Bxa8 Kxa8 34.Bxa3 Rd1 35.Rxh6 White is up the exchange and two pawns,
but after Ra1 Black has serious counterplay, and it isn't at all clear
that White is winning. The knight plugs up the kingside, White's bishop
is horrible and 2/3 of his pawns are weak, while Black's pieces
coordinate brilliantly."