Playing higher rated opponents

Old November 30th 16, 01:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Anonymous Remailer (austria)

Default Playing higher rated opponents

In article
The Horny Goat wrote:

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 05:36:54 -0800 (PST), Eliyahu
wrote:

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 8:34:23 PM UTC+3, azigni wrote:
On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 03:52:05 +0200, Radrook wrote:
I think it is very unwise to play higher rated opponents.

I would like to add...it all depends on ones reasons for playing chess.
Not every chess player aspires to be be a world class player. Not every
chess player wishes to play someone who could beat them.

Bs"d

What I want, what every normal chess player wants, is WINNING!!

In order to achieve that goal, you can start learning very hard, read a lot of books, play higher rated players, and get your a.. kicked.

I prefer the shortcut, playing weaker players, and winning without effort.

But to each his own. Those who like to lose because they wanna get better in order to win, also have their place. If everybody did like me, I wouldn't have opponents anymore.

My daughter played for awhile but gave it up as I let her win
occasionally to keep up her spirit but she was good enough to know
when the punches were being pulled. This would have been roughly 1750
vs 1100. I tried to get into the rudiments of analysis but she figured
it was going to take far too long to get the broad points down.

Which given the size of my library (which I haven't put nearly enough
time to master so it's at least as much a collection as a compilation
of assimilated chess knowledge) that's a real shame since it's big
enough and of high enough quality that a properrly motivated junior
could easily make master strength with enough time.

Moral: mastery at chess is one heckuva lot more than an ability to
appreciate quality in chess books and buy them!

This has, unfortunately, been my experience as well. Oh, and
sleeping with a chess book under the pillow did NOT help.

Eugene Delmar's Ghost