Not interesting enough WCh as platform for cheszzzzzzz

Old November 20th 16, 09:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Not interesting enough WCh as platform for cheszzzzzzz

Its game 7 and another draw likely even though Karjakin [White] has a slight edge after

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. e3 a6 5. Bd3 dxc4 6. Bxc4 e6 7. Nf3 c5 8. O-O b5 9. Be2 Bb7 10. dxc5 Nc6 11. Nd2 Bxc5 12. Nde4 Nxe4 13. Nxe4 Be7 14. b3 Nb4 15. Bf3 O-O 16. Ba3 Rc8 17. Nf6+ Bxf6 18. Bxb7 Bxa1 19. Bxb4 Bf6 20. Bxf8 Qxd1 21. Rxd1 Rxf8 22. Bxa6 b4 23. Rc1 g6 *

The thing of it is, this is hardly enough to excite actual chess players to write in chess newsgroups, nevermind galvanize any general public.

It needs speeding up, doesn't it?

The position above is with both players still having about an hour each on the clock. People actually at the gig have paid $75 for the session, to shuffle through the gallery to see the players the other side of the window, then reside in the 'rest room' which has almost enough chairs to seat folks and watch it on TV 'live'. I imagine they are all bored to hell, what else can they be?

7 games, 7 draws. This is not to detract from the player's abilities, but OTOH evidently we would get more exciting chess if the time limit was cut in half. This wouldn't be 'best chess' but neither would it be 'best tennis' if the server took 5 minutes before serving aces 95% of the time. That too would be boring.

How can we make chess more boring if we all work together?

This seems to be the question the current commercial world championship in association with FIDE answers.

Phil Innes

Old November 22nd 16, 08:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Another draw, 7th or 8th is it? The biggest thing anyone can think of reporting is that Carlsen did or did not exactly show up for one press conference and he will be fined 10% of the purse [maybe]. I know that's not chessic, but it is world championshipic and has more media space than either games or zzzzzzz.

Otherwise it seems that there are huge audiences on line to witness high level draws. All the chances seem to have been Carlsen's but he fluffed all of them.

zzzzzzzz?

Phil Innes
Old November 24th 16, 05:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
EJAY

Happy Thanksgiving chess misc. Been a while since I have been here.Had the fortune (or misfortune )as it turned out to see Game 6 at South St Seaport . I liked the venue of the Karpov vs Kasparov match much better.We had to take turns in order to see the players after dropping $75.00.Of course I saw the short game.
Enough of that. There have been some exciting draws in this match.Karjakin is proving to be a worthy challenger. Thought he could win Game 9.Like most commentators would have preferred he play Qb3 as opposed to his BFF +. Hard to predict who will come out on top so let's just enjoy the match as it unfolds.

EJAY
Old November 26th 16, 04:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 12:07:51 PM UTC-5, EJAY wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving chess misc. Been a while since I have been here.Had the fortune (or misfortune )as it turned out to see Game 6 at South St Seaport .

Did they put you in the backroom Earnie, so you could watch on monitors?

I liked the venue of the Karpov vs Kasparov match much better.We had to take turns in order to see the players after dropping $75.00.Of course I saw the short game.
Enough of that. There have been some exciting draws in this match.Karjakin is proving to be a worthy challenger. Thought he could win Game 9.Like most commentators would have preferred he play Qb3 as opposed to his BFF +.. Hard to predict who will come out on top so let's just enjoy the match as it unfolds.

That's right, Bf7+ let Carlson off the hook.

You think he will win a game?

Phil

EJAY

Old December 2nd 16, 05:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 2:03:49 PM UTC-7, wrote:

How can we make chess more boring if we all work together?

Of course, that is the whole problem.

Chess players don't "work together" to make their games more boring, but they
also don't work together to make their games more interesting.

They play to WIN.

But unfortunately, that _also_ means they play to draw in preference to losing,
just as they play to win in preference to drawing.

Thus, given what Steinitz has revealed about scientific play in Chess - and,
yes, the problem goes all the way back to him, even if it has gotten worse in
recent years

perhaps due to the following two probable causes:

- the absence of a player, like Bobby Fischer, sufficiently stronger than the
next best chess player around that he can score impressive victories with
reasonable frequency; and

- perhaps further advances in Chess theory of late from the study of computer
play, since computers have improved a lot

....players, trying to make the highest score they can in a match, are driven to
play defensively rather than playing aggressively, because it has been found by
experience that taking risks just does not pay off.

So jawboning players about their responsibility to maintain interest in the
sport to keep revenues coming in or whatever... will be ineffective. The only
way to drive the right behavior is to hit them where they're paying attention -
in the scoresheet.

The 1/3-1/3 score for draws has apparently had some success, but that seems to
me as only applicable to tournaments and not matches. (Unless the match can
have "both players lose" as an outcome, which means it's embedded in a sort of
tournament-like structure.)

I've recently resumed plugging my attempt to address the issue again, having
come up with a revision thereto, as you may have noticed by my replies to you
in other threads.

John Savard
Old December 2nd 16, 06:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Offramp

The players have too long to think.

I think the time control should be 45m + 4s per move. 24 games, 2 games a day.
Old December 3rd 16, 05:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

I can't agree with that. If people want to see sloppy, amateurish Chess, they can go to the park or the local public library. If they're watching the World Championship, they want to see Chess played at the highest standard. And I have suggested a way to let the players think well without an endless series of draws.
Old December 4th 16, 01:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 12:03:08 AM UTC-5, Quadibloc wrote:
I can't agree with that. If people want to see sloppy, amateurish Chess, they can go to the park or the local public library. If they're watching the World Championship, they want to see Chess played at the highest standard.. And I have suggested a way to let the players think well without an endless series of draws.

I see that other people agree with Offramp — eg, Susan Polgar. But John also makes fair points about sustaining quality. I think Susan suggested a 24 game match, some full time, some rapid, some blitz.

The thing is, even though we had full-time classical games, if the players continued to score level with each other, either by drawing or by 1-0 0-1 scoring, the plan was to end it all by Armageddon chess, which really is skittles and as we saw at a US woman's championship you might win simply because you are right or left handed.

The Polgar plan might therefore test a broader range of chess skill, without getting ridiculous.

Phil Innes