W CH goes to tiebreakers

Old November 29th 16, 07:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default W CH goes to tiebreakers

World Chess Championship heads to tiebreakers

The World Chess Championship is still left unfinished after 12 games between reigning champion Magnus Carlsen and Sergey Karjakin. The contest moves into the tiebreakers segment which starts on Wednesday.

Neither reigning champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway nor Russian grandmaster Sergei Karyakin has claimed the world chess crown after 12 matches, throwing the tournament to four tie-break games scheduled for Wednesday.

Almost three weeks after the chess World Championship began, the last scheduled game ended Monday in a draw – just like nine of the previous 11 games – with spectators left hungry for decisive action in the forthcoming tiebreaker. “I’m not proud of the game today, but I think there’s a tradeoff [for the spectators],” said Carlsen, alluding to the extra chess to be played.

Regulations stipulate that the two players will now participate in four rapid games, which the World Chess Federation says will be played “at the rate of 25 minutes per player per game, with 10 seconds added after each move.”

All previous games allowed for more than three hours of play.

In the event of a draw at the end of those four games, the players will participate in two blitz games, a fast format played at the rate of five minutes per player at the start, with three seconds added after each move. Should there still be a tie at this point, they will play up to four more sets of blitz games.

“If there is still no winner, Carlsen and Karyakin will play an Armageddon game in which white has five minutes and black has four, but black only has to draw to win the match,” the World Chess Federation said..

‘Extra time, not penalty shootout’

The eventual accelerated games leave plenty of opportunity for harried mistakes.

But in the meantime, Carlsen said, “25 minutes and 10 seconds per move is a lot of time so we’re still playing normal chess.”

“We’re not at the penalty stage yet. We’re at extra time,” he said, making a soccer analogy. “I understand if sometimes both teams are not trying to score in the last minute of regulation that can be frustrating but also having extra time is exciting.”

---

Personally, since observing an Armageddon finish to a woman's US championship on video. I think it's disgusting to determine championships this way.

Phil Innes
Old November 30th 16, 04:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 12:23:11 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Personally, since observing an Armageddon finish to a woman's US championship
on video. I think it's disgusting to determine championships this way.

I tend to agree.

In the old days, of course, in the event of a tie, the champion just held his
title.

Blitz chess, at least, is still chess. But it is still a test of a different
kind of chess ability than what the regular games of a match are about. And, of
course, the new time controls on tournament play, making them near-blitz, are a
problem, since one has to do well in tournaments, including the Candidates', to
get a shot at the World Championship.

And I see that "Armageddon", to which you referred, is also to be used in the
World Championship if nothing else serves - in which Black wins on a draw, but
has the additional disadvantage of a shorter time control.

You've all seen my humble suggestion for what to do. I've recently posted to
this newsgroup about an amendment.

Too many draws in Chess - a problem ever since Steinitz came along, and put
Chess on a scientific basis, but apparently it's getting even worse?

My current very simplified version of Dynamic Scoring is now this:

100-0 for checkmate
60-40 for stalemate
52-48 when White places Black in perpetual check
45-55 when Black places White in perpetual check
51-49 for a win by Material Superiority

with material scored as follows:

90 Queen
50 Rook
32 Bishop
30 Knight
10 Pawn

and add 11 1/2 material points to Black's total of material.

Basically:

- go to the system used for Korean chess, that is very similar to _komidashi_
in Go;
- but don't score victories by material superiority as full victories; instead,
they are near-draws that only put a small amount on the scoreboard
- to further emphasize the attack on the King over material, include both
stalemate and perpetual check as victories which are superior to wins by
material
- because perpetual check is relatively easy to achieve, it may come close to
being something White is able to force due to the advantage of the first move,
therefore the original Dynamic Scoring concept is retained in that instance,
but that instance only (to keep things relatively simple!) of scoring this
victory in a different manner for White and Black.

So it would be entirely possible to have a player carry out a Queen sacrifice
in order to achieve a position from which perpetual check can be inflicted.

This is radical, I know. But in Japan, _komidashi_ revived Go from what was a
moribund state after Honinbo Shusaku showed the Go masters of Japan how to
perfect their defensive play. My own scheme may be flawed, but I believe that
Chess is worth saving, and that it is at least possible that some method akin
to komidashi can work for Chess.

John Savard
Old December 1st 16, 12:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

I see it is Zatonskih-Krush 2008 to which you refer.
Old December 4th 16, 02:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 7:51:59 PM UTC-5, Quadibloc wrote:
I see it is Zatonskih-Krush 2008 to which you refer.

That's right. Among other factors a national championship might be decided by whether you are right or left handed. Or what if you replace the pieces not quite in the square — or what if you hover your hand over the board so the other player can't see. All of these happened.

Phil Innes
Old December 9th 16, 05:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 9:45:30 PM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:

with material scored as follows:

90 Queen
50 Rook
32 Bishop
30 Knight
10 Pawn

and add 11 1/2 material points to Black's total of material.

I've changed that now: I only add 4 1/2 material points to Black's total of
material - and require an excess of 6 material points before a win by Material
Superiority instead of a draw is scored.

This means that if material is even, or White is a Pawn up, it's a draw. But an
exchange of a Knight for a Bishop is enough to change a draw into a tiny win.

Given that Korean Chess gave the second player 3/4 of a Pawn - and current
studies show that White's first move advantage in Chess is less than 1/4 of a
Pawn - the change in value seemed appropriate, and by allowing draws as well, I create _two_ hair-trigger points at which a slight advantage gained over the board can be translated into points on the scoreboard.

After all, a series of games in which the same color always wins is just as
indecisive as a series of draws, so there is no real advantage to making draws
absolutely impossible.

John Savard