Stalemate counts as a draw?

Old January 29th 17, 09:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Peter Percival

Default Stalemate counts as a draw?

Quadibloc wrote:
On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 2:22:08 PM UTC-7, Peter Percival wrote:
Does stalemate count as a draw?

Of course - and this is noted in just about every introductory book about Chess.

John Savard

Please excuse a personal question: are you the John Savard who used to
post to sci.math?

to me what you really mean.

Old January 31st 17, 01:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
The Horny Goat

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 15:19:23 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

Correct. This rule is designed to allow a draw claim for K + B or N vs
K. As you say mate is certainly constructable though not forceable by
best or even good play.

Correct? Care to show us those four checkmates positions by both
sides?

White: Kb6, Bb7 vs Black Ka8,Nb8 or similar positions in any of the 4
corners

If you're saying I meant K + B or K + N vs K then I apologize though
one can construct equally inane mates simply by adding a R pawn.

I emphasize we are talking about "helpmate" type mates not anything a
sensible player trying to win or at least not lose would make.
Old January 31st 17, 04:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Ken Blake[_3_]

wrote:

Correct. This rule is designed to allow a draw claim for K + B or N vs
K. As you say mate is certainly constructable though not forceable by
best or even good play.

Correct? Care to show us those four checkmates positions by both
sides?

White: Kb6, Bb7 vs Black Ka8,Nb8 or similar positions in any of the 4
corners

Sure. But that's not K + B or N vs K.

If you're saying I meant K + B or K + N vs K

Sure, but I wasn't saying what you meant; I was saying what you wrote.

then I apologize though

OK, you just wrote something different from what you meant.

one can construct equally inane mates simply by adding a R pawn.

I emphasize we are talking about "helpmate" type mates not anything a
sensible player trying to win or at least not lose would make.

Of course.
Old January 31st 17, 07:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 2:24:29 PM UTC-7, Peter Percival wrote:
Quadibloc wrote:
On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 2:22:08 PM UTC-7, Peter Percival wrote:
Does stalemate count as a draw?

Of course - and this is noted in just about every introductory book about Chess.

Please excuse a personal question: are you the John Savard who used to
post to sci.math?

Indeed. And I don't post much to sci.crypt any more either. But I'm still active
in alt.folklore.computers and rec.arts.sf.written .

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/
Old February 4th 17, 06:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
[email protected]

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 4:11:25 PM UTC-5, The Horny Goat wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 17:06:07 +0100, Rainer
wrote:

Note the wording - it does NOT assume best play - thus Black Ka8, Na7,
Nb8, White Kc7,Pb6 is still a win for white when Pb7 mate is the next
move even though no black would ever maneuver his pieces in that way.

Similarly K+2N vs K can't be claimed a draw under this rule since 2
N's CAN mate - just not by force against best play.

2 or 3 years ago, a game in the USA woman's championship ended with K+N v K+N and the arbiter immediately stepped in to declare it a draw. There are possible help-mates here, and in this instance it was an Armageddon finish, so white lost.

Phil Innes