Stalemate counts as a draw?

Old January 25th 17, 10:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Peter Percival

Default Stalemate counts as a draw?

Does stalemate count as a draw?
to me what you really mean.

Old January 25th 17, 10:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Kerry Liles[_3_]

On 1/25/2017 4:22 PM, Peter Percival wrote:
Does stalemate count as a draw?

Yes.
Old January 25th 17, 11:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Offramp

So your ****ty boring ripped off signature is 20x longer than your post. **** OFF!
Old January 26th 17, 01:35 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Peter Percival

Kerry Liles wrote:
On 1/25/2017 4:22 PM, Peter Percival wrote:
Does stalemate count as a draw?

Yes.

Thank you. Is there somewhere on the internet where I can find all the
rules laid out in excruciating detail?

to me what you really mean.

Old January 26th 17, 06:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
The Horny Goat

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 00:35:27 +0000, Peter Percival
wrote:

Kerry Liles wrote:
On 1/25/2017 4:22 PM, Peter Percival wrote:
Does stalemate count as a draw?

Yes.

Thank you. Is there somewhere on the internet where I can find all the
rules laid out in excruciating detail?

This excruciating enough for you?
https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.h...1&view=article

You can also find them on the national federations of the US and
Canada:

http://www.uschess.org/content/view/12723/ (this is the US listing
which does differ from international rules)

Both countries have special rules concerning the administration of
tournaments as opposed to the play of the individual game which is
what the FIDE Laws of Chess are about.

As an officer of the Chess Federation of Canada and a FIDE
International Arbiter it's kind of my job to know where to find such
things.

Again you DID ask for "excruciating detail"!
Old January 26th 17, 06:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Ken Blake[_3_]

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 21:22:04 +0000, Peter Percival
wrote:

Does stalemate count as a draw?

Yes. A stalemate is a kind of draw, and the term "stalemate" is also
widely used in non-chess senses, where it simply means a draw.

Old January 26th 17, 06:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
The Horny Goat

wrote:

Does stalemate count as a draw?

Yes. A stalemate is a kind of draw, and the term "stalemate" is also
widely used in non-chess senses, where it simply means a draw.

More to the point - it's an IMMEDIATE draw as opposed to things like
the 50 move rule where if you're at move 25 ... well you're probably
not leaving the hall until 25 more moves take place and that can be
awhile.

As also opposed to K+B vs K or K+N vs K where it's an immediate draw.

Note that the automatic drawing rules do NOT apply to positions where
any sane person would easily draw but a "helpmate" is possible. (For
ex White K a8, P a7, Black Kc7, Bd5) In the cited position white could
even win if Black took his king away and his bishop off the long
diagonal - sure it's silly but any of those positions but with a
single pawn aren't drawn which is why you get arcane rules like the
K+2N v K+P rule on which are and aren't drawn.

(If the poor arbiter is faced with one of these he/she had BETTER have
a rulebook or web browser handy as nobody will remember the exact
shape of the jagged line across the board! In 30+ years of directing
I've never seen anything like that)

Old January 27th 17, 01:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Rainer[_2_]

On 26/01/2017 18:30, The Horny Goat wrote:

[...] which is why you get arcane rules like the
K+2N v K+P rule on which are and aren't drawn.

(If the poor arbiter is faced with one of these he/she had BETTER have
a rulebook or web browser handy as nobody will remember the exact
shape of the jagged line across the board! In 30+ years of directing
I've never seen anything like that)

Are you referring to the Troitsky line? It indicates when K+2N can force
a win against K+P but it has nothing to do with the rules of chess.
Arbiters don't have to know about it.

Cheers,
Rainer
Old January 27th 17, 04:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Kerry Liles[_3_]

On 1/26/2017 7:11 PM, Rainer wrote:
On 26/01/2017 18:30, The Horny Goat wrote:

[...] which is why you get arcane rules like the
K+2N v K+P rule on which are and aren't drawn.

(If the poor arbiter is faced with one of these he/she had BETTER have
a rulebook or web browser handy as nobody will remember the exact
shape of the jagged line across the board! In 30+ years of directing
I've never seen anything like that)

Are you referring to the Troitsky line? It indicates when K+2N can force
a win against K+P but it has nothing to do with the rules of chess.
Arbiters don't have to know about it.

Cheers,
Rainer

When you say "Arbiters don't have to know about it" are you claiming
that arbiters do not have to know whether it is possible there is a win
in a given position? I am not 100% up to date on FIDE rules and nuances,
but if a player claims a draw due to 'insufficient mating material' such
a discussion could be the result, no?