The desiccation resulting from opening science

Old March 28th 17, 07:52 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
M Winther[_2_]

Default The desiccation resulting from opening science

To counter the devitalization of chess resulting from "opening science"
and preparation I suggest selecting one or more positions from Chess960
that are congenial with Fide-chess. This shall serve as a complement to
orthodox chess. The only difference is that castling follows FRC rules,
that is, the king ends up on the same square as usual but may make a
longer or shorter leap (or none at all).
http://mlwi.magix.net/bg/chessb.htm

M. Winther
Old March 28th 17, 06:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

This is interesting, but I think that over time the 20 good positions will each
be studied to the same depth as regular Chess.

As you are no doubt aware, I have my own suggestion for dealing with this
problem - which no doubt could benefit from adjustments and improvements:

http://www.quadibloc.com/chess/ch0602.htm

John Savard
Old March 29th 17, 06:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
M Winther[_2_]

On 28/03/2017 19:16, Quadibloc wrote:
This is interesting, but I think that over time the 20 good positions will each
be studied to the same depth as regular Chess.

As you are no doubt aware, I have my own suggestion for dealing with this
problem - which no doubt could benefit from adjustments and improvements:

http://www.quadibloc.com/chess/ch0602.htm

John Savard

Your big-board variant is *waaaay* too complicated. It has too many
pieces. It results in confusion and not in elegance.

Thank you for linking to my "Placement Chess". However, the new address
is http://www.two-paths.com/bg/placementchess.htm (Please update the link.)

Mats
Old March 30th 17, 04:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 11:44:42 PM UTC-6, M Winther wrote:
(Please update the link.)

Done!

John Savard
Old March 31st 17, 05:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 2:53:34 AM UTC-4, M Winther wrote:
To counter the devitalization of chess resulting from "opening science"
and preparation I suggest selecting one or more positions from Chess960
that are congenial with Fide-chess. This shall serve as a complement to
orthodox chess. The only difference is that castling follows FRC rules,
that is, the king ends up on the same square as usual but may make a
longer or shorter leap (or none at all).
http://mlwi.magix.net/bg/chessb.htm

M. Winther

In another recent thread I suggested speeding up rate of play, but my correspondent Andy Walker thought this would provide an inferior form of chess. We did not agree on what inferior meant, but I proposed that it would encourage more creative chess rather than more librarian chess, and in fact many GMs agree.

One benefit of this proposal is that the rules of chess are unchanged, and people are playing the same game as in 1960 and likely in 1660.

Phil Innes
Old March 31st 17, 07:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Andy Walker[_3_]

On 31/03/17 17:54, wrote:
One benefit of this proposal is that the rules of chess are
unchanged, and people are playing the same game as in 1960 and likely
in 1660.

The Laws of chess have changed in surprisingly many ways since
1960, esp [but not only] if you include clarifications [such as ruling
out "O-O-O-O", eg Pe8=R followed by castling with Ke3 and Re2], and even
more since 1660. No time controls then, for a start! The Laws weren't
even standardised until some time after the first international events;
eg rules for castling, for promotions and for stalemate varied from
place to place. One change I slightly regret is the loss of the "king
leap", Kg2, as a form of castling. Rules about touch-move and about
draw claims have varied a lot over the years, inc since 1960.

Two of the recent changes that many players seem to be unaware
of are the 75-move draw [extension of the 50-move rule, but this one is
automatic and does not have to be claimed] and the 5x repetition rule
[likewise]. The 75-move rule places an absolute upper bound on the
possible length of a [legal] game, roughly 50% longer than the previous
"bound" which was subject to the condition "assuming that one or other
player will claim a draw if possible".

--
Andy Walker,
Nottingham.
Old April 1st 17, 02:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 10:54:10 AM UTC-6, wrote:

In another recent thread I suggested speeding up rate of play, but my
correspondent Andy Walker thought this would provide an inferior form of
chess. We did not agree on what inferior meant, but I proposed that it
would encourage more creative chess rather than more librarian chess, and
in fact many GMs agree.

On the one hand, playing while one is in book is rapid; and, on the other,
doing something profound over the board takes time. Time controls have
already been changed, and I don't think that this has been to the benefit
of Chess.

John Savard
Old April 5th 17, 11:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
M Winther[_2_]

On 31/03/2017 18:54, wrote:
[...]

GMs can play faster because they have better technique and, above all,
vast opening knowledge thanks to databases. Amateurs make no effort to
collect such knowledge, because there's no point. But much shorter time
controls will impact amateur chess so severely that it becomes
meaningless to play. It is simply no fun to win a game when the opponent
plays badly. GMs and amateurs live in different chess worlds.

Mats
Old April 5th 17, 11:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
andal

On Wed, 05 Apr 2017 12:08:44 +0200, M Winther wrote:

On 31/03/2017 18:54, wrote:
[...]

hi,
please visit chess.com and find out how many amateurs do 5min games,
win is a win, GMs blunder too
Old April 6th 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
M Winther[_2_]

On 31/03/2017 18:54, wrote:
[...]

It's called "blitz chess". It is not chess proper. It is utterly boring
and meaningless. When are people going to realize that it's not the same
game?