A Chess forum. ChessBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ChessBanter forum » Chess Newsgroups » rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Puzzle



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old April 8th 17, 04:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Ken Blake[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Puzzle

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 21:46:12 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

On Friday, 7 April 2017 16:28:50 UTC+1, Ken Blake wrote:

That reminds me of one of my favorite puzzles:

A game goes

1. f3 ?
2. Kf2 ?
3. Kg3 ?
4. Kh4 ? mate

What were black's four moves?

Why does what you said remind me of that? Because there are two very
slightly different solutions.


My very first thought is that the last move might be ....e5 or ...e6#




Close, but no cigar.

  #12  
Old April 8th 17, 08:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Offramp
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,157
Default Puzzle

On Saturday, 8 April 2017 16:59:25 UTC+1, Ken Blake wrote:
On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 21:46:12 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

On Friday, 7 April 2017 16:28:50 UTC+1, Ken Blake wrote:

That reminds me of one of my favorite puzzles:

A game goes

1. f3 ?
2. Kf2 ?
3. Kg3 ?
4. Kh4 ? mate


My current thoughts are based on pawn moves for Black. h5, f5 and e5.

But normally, as I mentioned, there is only a single possible line of play in proof games like this. The trouble is that you have already told us that there is an alternative line of play.
  #13  
Old April 8th 17, 11:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Ken Blake[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Puzzle

On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 12:15:29 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

On Saturday, 8 April 2017 16:59:25 UTC+1, Ken Blake wrote:
On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 21:46:12 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

On Friday, 7 April 2017 16:28:50 UTC+1, Ken Blake wrote:

That reminds me of one of my favorite puzzles:

A game goes

1. f3 ?
2. Kf2 ?
3. Kg3 ?
4. Kh4 ? mate


My current thoughts are based on pawn moves for Black. h5, f5 and e5.

But normally, as I mentioned, there is only a single possible line of play in proof games like this. The trouble is that you have already told us that there is an alternative line of play.



I wouldn't say an "alternative *line*". Rather, there are two
solutions that are almost exactly alike, but very slightly different.

If you give up, I'll post the solution.
  #14  
Old April 9th 17, 08:28 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Offramp
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,157
Default Puzzle

On Saturday, 8 April 2017 20:15:30 UTC+1, Offramp wrote:

1. f3 ?
2. Kf2 ?
3. Kg3 ?
4. Kh4 ? mate


The problem is the g3 square. That is why I was thinking of

1. f3 f5 2. Kf2 d5 3. Kg3 f4+ 4. Kh4 e5+, check but not mate. I am still looking.

  #15  
Old April 9th 17, 08:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Offramp
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,157
Default Puzzle

On Sunday, 9 April 2017 08:28:44 UTC+1, Offramp wrote:
On Saturday, 8 April 2017 20:15:30 UTC+1, Offramp wrote:

1. f3 ?
2. Kf2 ?
3. Kg3 ?
4. Kh4 ? mate


The problem is the g3 square. That is why I was thinking of

1. f3 f5 2. Kf2 d5 3. Kg3 f4+ 4. Kh4 e5+, check but not mate. I am still looking.


It might be that the Ng8 goes to either d7 or f6 to allow the king to go to h4.
  #16  
Old April 9th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Ken Blake[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Puzzle

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 00:38:05 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

On Sunday, 9 April 2017 08:28:44 UTC+1, Offramp wrote:
On Saturday, 8 April 2017 20:15:30 UTC+1, Offramp wrote:

1. f3 ?
2. Kf2 ?
3. Kg3 ?
4. Kh4 ? mate


The problem is the g3 square. That is why I was thinking of

1. f3 f5 2. Kf2 d5 3. Kg3 f4+ 4. Kh4 e5+, check but not mate. I am still looking.


It might be that the Ng8 goes to either d7 or f6 to allow the king to go to h4.



You tell me when to post the answer and I'll do it.

It's very had to solve though. I didn't solve it myself.


  #17  
Old April 9th 17, 09:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Offramp
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,157
Default Puzzle

On Sunday, 9 April 2017 16:34:03 UTC+1, Ken Blake wrote:
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 00:38:05 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

On Sunday, 9 April 2017 08:28:44 UTC+1, Offramp wrote:
On Saturday, 8 April 2017 20:15:30 UTC+1, Offramp wrote:

1. f3 ?
2. Kf2 ?
3. Kg3 ?
4. Kh4 ? mate

The problem is the g3 square. That is why I was thinking of

1. f3 f5 2. Kf2 d5 3. Kg3 f4+ 4. Kh4 e5+, check but not mate. I am still looking.


It might be that the Ng8 goes to either d7 or f6 to allow the king to go to h4.



You tell me when to post the answer and I'll do it.

It's very had to solve though. I didn't solve it myself.


I looked up the answer online. I couldn't do it. It's a toughie, very clever!
  #18  
Old April 10th 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Ken Blake[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Puzzle

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 13:12:36 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

On Sunday, 9 April 2017 16:34:03 UTC+1, Ken Blake wrote:
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 00:38:05 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

On Sunday, 9 April 2017 08:28:44 UTC+1, Offramp wrote:
On Saturday, 8 April 2017 20:15:30 UTC+1, Offramp wrote:

1. f3 ?
2. Kf2 ?
3. Kg3 ?
4. Kh4 ? mate

The problem is the g3 square. That is why I was thinking of

1. f3 f5 2. Kf2 d5 3. Kg3 f4+ 4. Kh4 e5+, check but not mate. I am still looking.

It might be that the Ng8 goes to either d7 or f6 to allow the king to go to h4.



You tell me when to post the answer and I'll do it.

It's very had to solve though. I didn't solve it myself.


I looked up the answer online. I couldn't do it. It's a toughie, very clever!



Yes. One of the moves (I won't say which one, just in case someone
else here is working on it) is so incredibly counterintuitive.

And you of course now see why there are two almost the same answers.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sam Loyd's Cyclopedia of 5,000 Puzzles Tricks & Conundrums with Answers samsloan rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 7 March 30th 07 11:03 AM
Sam Loyd's Cyclopedia of 5,000 Puzzles Tricks & Conundrums with Answers samsloan rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 6 March 29th 07 11:58 PM
Sam Loyd's Cyclopedia of 5,000 Puzzles Tricks & Conundrums with Answers samsloan rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 6 March 29th 07 11:58 PM
Sam Loyd's Cyclopedia of 5,000 Puzzles Tricks & Conundrums with Answers samsloan rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 1 March 6th 07 10:56 AM
here's another puzzle [email protected] rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 5 September 25th 06 08:20 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.