Child Prodigy defeats World Champion.

Old December 7th 17, 09:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Offramp

Default Child Prodigy defeats World Champion.

Stockfish lost to AlphaZero, the new kid on the block.

Stockfish scored +0 -28 =72.

In 100 games AlphaZero scored 25 wins and 25 draws with White, while with Black it scored 3 wins and 47 draws.

It didn't lose a game, with the final score 64:36.
Old December 7th 17, 07:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 1:43:05 AM UTC-7, Offramp wrote:
Stockfish lost to AlphaZero, the new kid on the block.

I thought that the commercial chess engine Komodo was stronger than
Stockfish.

John Savard
Old December 7th 17, 07:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 11:10:11 AM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:
On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 1:43:05 AM UTC-7, Offramp wrote:
Stockfish lost to AlphaZero, the new kid on the block.

I thought that the commercial chess engine Komodo was stronger than
Stockfish.

The paper referred to Stockfish as the TCEC 2016 champion. I see that in
2017 at the TCEC, Houdini was the champion, and Komodo the runner-up. It
was in 2015 and 2014 that the situation I remembered - Komodo the champ,
and Stockfish the runner-up - existed.

John Savard
Old December 7th 17, 08:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Rainer[_2_]

On 07/12/2017 09:43, Offramp wrote:

Stockfish lost to AlphaZero, the new kid on the block.

Stockfish scored +0 -28 =72.

In 100 games AlphaZero scored 25 wins and 25 draws with White, while
with Black it scored 3 wins and 47 draws.

It didn't lose a game, with the final score 64:36.

Now that AlphaZero is all the rage, it's time to put some things into
perspective:

1. AlphaZero ran on superior hardware which should be worth much more
than a +102 Elo performance. So we cannot say that AlphaZero is the
stronger chess engine.

2. The testing conditions are unclear. I have the suspicion that they
were not fair for Stockfish. Hikaru Nakamura also expressed his doubts,
so it isn't just me.

3. There is nothing new about neural networks or machine learning. Even
AlphaZero's blank slate approach has been tried before. What is new is
the gigantic amount of hardware thrown at the problem.

4. Currently it is not imaginable how AlphaZero could be made to run on
commodity desktop hardware. Perhaps in 10 years GPUs might be fast
enough to run the software. The training phase of the neural network,
however, will require a supercomputer for quite some time to come.

Cheers,
Rainer
Old December 7th 17, 08:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 12:05:48 PM UTC-7, Rainer wrote:

Now that AlphaZero is all the rage, it's time to put some things into
perspective:

1. AlphaZero ran on superior hardware which should be worth much more
than a +102 Elo performance. So we cannot say that AlphaZero is the
stronger chess engine.

2. The testing conditions are unclear. I have the suspicion that they
were not fair for Stockfish. Hikaru Nakamura also expressed his doubts,
so it isn't just me.

This is indeed quite true.

So it is not accurate to claim that AlphaZero is superior as a chess
program to Stockfish - run a version of that program adapted to use
your computer's hardware, and it would play much worse than Stockfish.

So why is this exciting?

For one thing, Stockfish was evaluating 70 million positions a second,
while AlphaZero was evaluating 80 thousand positions a second.

So AlphaZero somehow obtained a lot more chess knowledge than Stockfish
has. Studying what it came up with as settings for its neural network
would perhaps make it possible to upgrade Stockfish to do what Komodo
is good at: finding good positional moves in quiet positions.

Already, studying Alpha Go has led to improvements in conventional Go-
playing programs - the latest version of CrazyStone gained 100 Elo this
way. This happened by adding "deep learning" techniques to its
development.

John Savard
Old December 9th 17, 01:35 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
Quadibloc

As the success of AlphaZero at chess would spark interest in applying
similar techniques to chess engines running on ordinary hardware, I
thought I'd see what was already out there.

I saw KnightCap and NeuroChess mentioned in an article about
Giraffe.

Giraffe was the best program of this kind, but its development,
understandably, ceased when its programmer was hired for the AlphaGo
team by Google.