a newsgroup census

Old June 30th 03, 11:32 PM
Dan Yobry

Default a newsgroup census

Actually, Castro was supposedly a mean pitcher in his time.

-Dan

--
email me at danyobry(at)attbi.com

"Nick" wrote in message
om...
(PJDBAD) wrote in message

Dan Yobry wrote:Roman (and to all offended by my comments on steaks and
baseball):
I was just curious as to who used this newsgroup. I apologize if my
sidetracking on steaks and baseball offended anyone. As for chess, I
promise I won't ask retarded questions and I promise not to troll.
PS - I promise to stick to chess from now on.

Don't be so quick to saddle up and ride out of town, Tex. Many of us

aren't
unhappy to deal with steaks, beer, bar-b-que and what's happening at the

old
fishing hole.

There's always a few at chess club that just want to play chess and

can't be
bothered to analyze, read Chess Life, join the USCF, take an interest in

the
history of the game, work on their rating and get a life outside of

pushing
pawns, the faster the better.

So put in a modicum of chess content, play by the rules, stop for the

chess
police, and let the internet police track down the real spammers and

trolls.

Yes, this newsgroup is not rec.games.chess.*analysis*; this newsgroup is
rec.games.chess.*misc*. So readers here tend to be more tolerant of some
not strictly chess-related discussions. In my opinion, however, there are
too many rec.games.chess.politics threads cross-posted here.

Here's an example of writing about both chess and steaks at the same time:

:-)

While in Argentina for his 1971 match with Tigran Petrosian, Bobby Fischer
lauded the local steaks, finding them more delectable than American

steaks.
(from 'Life' magazine, as I recall)

Was Fidel Castro any better or worse at playing chess than at playing

baseball?

--Nick

Old July 1st 03, 07:04 AM
michael adams

Nick wrote:

(PJDBAD) wrote in message ...
[...]

Fischer would have been treated to a steak, by the Argentines, something
the Americans probably hadn't considered doing at that time, so how
would he know?. Once, I went 450kms. north of Sydney, bought a T-bone in
any old supermarket, cooked & ate it. It was the best I'd had in a very
long time, but then, that is another story..

Was Fidel Castro any better or worse at playing chess than at playing baseball?

Are you kidding?. Fidel is a billiards man. Pocket billiards..

--Nick

Old July 1st 03, 10:00 PM
Nick

michael adams wrote in message ...
Nick wrote:
Here's an example of writing about both chess and steaks at the same time:

While in Argentina for his 1971 match with Tigran Petrosian, Bobby Fischer
lauded the local steaks, finding them more delectable than American steaks.
(from 'Life' magazine, as I recall)

Fischer would have been treated to a steak, by the Argentines, something
the Americans probably hadn't considered doing at that time, so how would
he know?....

Evidently, Bobby Fischer previously had eaten steaks in the United States.
As I recall, he said that the Argentinian steaks had these two advantages:
1) They were much less expensive.
2) They tasted better because they had a more natural flavour.

Was Fidel Castro any better or worse at playing chess than at playing
baseball?

Are you kidding?. Fidel is a billiards man. Pocket billiards.

On the contrary, evidently, Fidel Castro was better at chess than at baseball.

It's a myth that Casto played baseball almost well enough to play into the
American major leagues (for the New York Yankees or the Washington Senators).

http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/castro.asp

"Let it be known here that Fidel Casto was never scouted by any major-league
team, and is not known to have enjoyed the kind of success in baseball that
could have brought a scout's attention to him....there is no record that Fidel
Casto ever played, much less starred, on any team. No one has produced even
one team picture with Fidel Castro in it. I have found the box score of an
intramural game played between the Law and the Business Schools at the
University of Havana where a certain F. Casto pitched and lost, 5-4, in late
November 1946; this is likely to be the only published box score in which the
future dictator appears (El Mundo, November 28, 1946)."
--Roberto Gonzalez Echevarria (The Pride of Havana: a History of Cuban Baseball)

"Life is a battle; but it is so only in the sense that a game of chess is--there
is no seriousness in it; it may be put an end to at any inconvenient moment by
owning yourself beaten, with a careless 'Ha-ha!' and sweeping your pieces into
the box."
--Thomas Hardy (The Hand of Ethelberta)

On the other hand, Fidel Castro was on the Organising Committee of the 1966
Chess Olympiad in Havana, and he attended many of its rounds. He also played
games against Tigran Petrosian (the FIDE world champion) and Bobby Fischer.

Can anyone provide any of the scores of Fidel Castro's games against GMs?
Thanks in advance.

--Nick