July 1st, 2003 - 200 Words by Lev Khariton

Old July 1st 03, 05:48 AM
tomic

Default July 1st, 2003 - 200 Words by Lev Khariton

There is another piece by Mr. Lev Khariton at http://www.pakchess.com/ -
this time on the 25th anniversary of the Karpov-Korchnoi match in Baguio -
25 years ago!

Any comments?
Goran Tomic

---------------------

200 Words by Lev Khariton

July 1st, 2003

My readers, probably, remember my article “Yasha, My Friend…” (ChessPress
April 2002) on Yakov Murei, the Israeli-French grandmaster. I have known him
since the late 50s when we were just making our first steps into the chess
world in Moscow.

Yasha, a brilliant chess player and a most original chess thinker and
analyst, was Viktor Korchnoi’s second at the famous (or notorious?) match
between Korchnoi and Karpov in Baguio in 1978 – exactly 25 years ago!

Below are some of the highlights of Murei’s comments on that memorable event
that he shared with me years ago.

“The funny thing was that Tal, my idol in my chess childhood, was Karpov’s
second, and I was Korchnoi’s…Later I could never bring myself to forgive Tal
this sin…”

“In Baguio Karpov was scared of me. Upon making a move he used to look from
the stage at me, and I also looked straight into his eyes. He could not
stand my stare losing this psychological battle each time…”

“When I remember Baguio, I experience two feelings: delight and disgust. As
a chess professional I was overwhelmed with happiness to participate in this
historic event. But thinking about what was happening there behind the
scenes fills me up with bitterness and disgust. Too much hatred on both
sides…”

“Korchnoi lost the match because he was too much involved into extra-chess
activities. He should have focused only on chess, as Fischer had done
playing against Spassky in 1972…”

“Viktor was totally manipulated by Petra Leeuwerik. I understand that after
10 years of Stalin’s camps she hated the Soviets, but she had learnt so many
bad things from them. So, in Baguio she often insulted Korchnoi’s seconds,
she was putting too much pressure on everyone…”

“Before the decisive 32nd game I asked Viktor not to play the Pirc. “Please,
play the French! You haven’t lost a single French against Karpov in the two
matches!” Unfortunately, Keene, Stean and Petra were already giving
interviews anticipating Korchnoi’s victory…”

“After Korchnoi’s loss in the 32nd game I was crying. I wanted him so much
to become World Champion! I said to Petra: “Now, Viktor’s son may die in
Siberia” Her reply was shocking: “Let him die. Viktor left the USSR to live
his own life!” I told Korchnoi her words. Korchnoi would not budge saying:
“Well, I know her opinion…”

LEV KHARITON

Old July 1st 03, 08:42 AM
Jerzy

"tomic" wrote in mesage
“Before the decisive 32nd game I asked Viktor not to play the Pirc.

“Please,
play the French! You haven’t lost a single French against Karpov in the

two
matches!” Unfortunately, Keene, Stean and Petra were already giving
interviews anticipating Korchnoi’s victory…”

Yes, it was really very strange to see Korchnoi playing the Pirc-Ufimcev
defence.

Regards,
Jerzy

Old July 1st 03, 07:47 PM
tomic

Dear Jerzy,
In Baguio Karpov was in clear lead with 5:2, but he permitted Korchnoi to
equalize.
I would recall on decisive 32. game of that match. The members of the sect
Ananda Marga were exiled from Baguio. My friend, Yugoslav chess journalist
Dimitrije Bjelica was there. Mr Bjelica wrote: "Karpov and Korchnoi didn't
shake themselves before the game from the game eight. Two minutes to five
o'clock p.m, Korchnoi arrived. After half a minute Karpov came to the table.
The arbiters were already at the stage. The chief arbiter was, Miroslav
Filip and his deputy Bozidar Kazic. Bozidar Kazic started a clock. Karpov
quietly write the date September 17th 1978. Karpov write the long notation
of the moves. Korchnoi didn't write the names of the opponents. He wrote
only the date and the short notation of the moves on the Russian. Seven
moves in the opening they moved in blitz rhythm...". So that's the chess
history. My friend concluded: "That was the most eccentric match for the
world chess crown in history. That was the match with many protests and
conflicts, match with many scandals and hatred."
Somebody could add: It happened, it wouldn't happen again. But I think that
Karpov and Korchnoi were only the tips of the icebergs which constantly
clashed till nowadays.
Regards,
Goran Tomic