why do we hate the USCF?

Old July 1st 03, 08:20 PM
Nick

Default why do we hate the USCF?

"Matt Nemmers" wrote in message news:[email protected]
"Dan Yobry" wrote in message
news:%%[email protected]
I resent ... the politics group. ....
My bad.

Don't feel bad, most people resent RGCP.

'All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at a happy juncture,
end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs.'
--Enoch Powell (1912-1998)

--Nick
Old July 2nd 03, 05:38 AM
Wargamer Scott

Don't forget the sub-standard CHESS LIFE. I once sent a letter to the
editor with some ideas on how to improve the content and quality of
the magazine. I was polite and earnest in my comments. What I
received back was a hostile letter that basically said 'mind you own
business!' Again, another example of the "insider" attitude that is
poisoning the USCF.
Old July 2nd 03, 03:55 PM
Ivan

It all stems from the time when TDs and organizers were required to
start paying high fees for TLAs

"Dan Yobry" wrote in message news:[email protected]
This is an honest question here. I'm not trying to troll.

I've never played in tournaments and have never been a member of the USCF. A
lot of people here seem to hate them [the USCF] for some reason. All I am
wondering is what that reason is. They incompetent? Are they mean? Are they
all Republicans?

Anyway, just wondering what the dealio is.

Thanks for your responses. I am off to eat now.

-Dan

Old July 2nd 03, 07:08 PM
Vince Hart

"Dan Yobry" wrote in message news:[email protected]
This is an honest question here. I'm not trying to troll.

I've never played in tournaments and have never been a member of the USCF. A
lot of people here seem to hate them [the USCF] for some reason. All I am
wondering is what that reason is. They incompetent? Are they mean? Are they
all Republicans?

Anyway, just wondering what the dealio is.

Thanks for your responses. I am off to eat now.

-Dan

There certainly seems to be a lot of incompetence, but what I sense in
many chess politicians is a lack of perspective about the game itself.
I think the USCF governance tends to be populated with dreamers who
have a vision of chess returning to the popularity it enjoyed in the
Fischer era. They are indifferent to the average club player because
that player is never going to return the game to its glory days.

I think the USCF also suffers from the fact that chess attracts a
disproportionate number of socially dysfunctional personalities and
those who are unable to achieve sufficient ego gratification from
playing the game often seek it in chess politics.

Vince Hart
Old July 9th 03, 10:55 PM
Brennan

Recently (Vince Hart) honored rec.games.chess.misc
with:
"Dan Yobry" wrote in message news:[email protected]
This is an honest question here. I'm not trying to troll.

I've never played in tournaments and have never been a member of the USCF. A
lot of people here seem to hate them [the USCF] for some reason. All I am
wondering is what that reason is. They incompetent? Are they mean? Are they
all Republicans?

Anyway, just wondering what the dealio is.

Thanks for your responses. I am off to eat now.

Only a shameless troll would post a controversial topic and then run
off to the dinner table! :-)

There certainly seems to be a lot of incompetence, but what I sense in
many chess politicians is a lack of perspective about the game itself.
I think the USCF governance tends to be populated with dreamers who
have a vision of chess returning to the popularity it enjoyed in the
Fischer era. They are indifferent to the average club player because
that player is never going to return the game to its glory days.

I think the USCF also suffers from the fact that chess attracts a
disproportionate number of socially dysfunctional personalities and
those who are unable to achieve sufficient ego gratification from
playing the game often seek it in chess politics.

I like those comments. I feel like chess is as popular as ever in the
United States, and that the USCF is simply clueless as to how to tap
into the interest. Currently, Sam Weller's Bookstore (tm) is hosting
an event in Salt Lake City, "Chess on Main Street," unaffiliated with
the USCF. From reports I've seen, it is a moderate success. IMO The
USCF simply puts too many stipulations about membership requirements
into their tournaments, and so keeps people out who might otherwise
become interested in club and casual play. The USCF is, and it seems
has always been, more interested in politics and revenue than chess.

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/jul/07082003/utah/73405.asp