Sveshnikov on organization of chess tournaments

Old July 1st 03, 09:40 PM
Jerzy

Default Sveshnikov on organization of chess tournaments

If you want to know what are the views of the famous chess Grand Master
Sveshnikov on organization of chess tournaments you can read the article on
Chess Express site :

http://www.chess-express.ru/article/euch-svesh.html

It is however written in Russian. ))

Regards,
Jerzy

Old July 2nd 03, 12:57 AM
Briarroot

Jerzy wrote:

If you want to know what are the views of the famous chess Grand Master
Sveshnikov on organization of chess tournaments you can read the article on
Chess Express site :

http://www.chess-express.ru/article/euch-svesh.html

It is however written in Russian. ))

Why don't you translate some relevant portions and post
them here?

Old July 2nd 03, 05:55 PM
Jerzy

"Briarroot" wrote in message

Why don't you translate some relevant portions and post
them here?

I won`t translate the article word by word. Here is my short summary:

Sveshnikov writes mainly about organization of European Championships by
ECU (European Chess Union).
He was stimulated to express his views by well-known letters of Igor Glek to
the organizers of the IVth European Championship in Istambul (Turkey).
Sveshnikov of course criticize tournaments where professionals do not have a
choice and are forced to accommodate in a hotel where prices are
skyrocketing.

Imagine over 150 grandmasters who do not have a choice ))
Obviously it violates human rights of the participants ... (my remark)

Simply such events are business for ECU and therefore they don`t want to
change the rules of their organization.
He remarks that Boris Kutin organize now all official chess events in
Europe. Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has given him complete freedom in doing so.

Of course Sveshnikov objects such a monopoly of Kutin and Ilyumzhinov. He
shows people who can organize Championships at much lower costs and where
the prizes are good.

Why organize chess tournaments where costs for a single chess player is
three or four times more expensive than in a normal good hotel ??

Of course when a chessplayer is sponsored e.g. by his national Chess
Federation he doesn`t count money but in the situation of selfsponsorship
the situation changes completely.
(End of my short summary - of course it`s not all - you should read it and
try to translate it yourself ))

BTW I`ve read lately on telegraph.co.uk very similar criticism of European
Championship from the hands of Nigel Short

Regards,
Jerzy

Old July 2nd 03, 09:20 PM
Briarroot

Jerzy wrote:

"Briarroot" wrote in message

Why don't you translate some relevant portions and post
them here?

I won`t translate the article word by word. Here is my short summary:

Thanks, Jerzy.

Sveshnikov writes mainly about organization of European Championships by
ECU (European Chess Union).
He was stimulated to express his views by well-known letters of Igor Glek to
the organizers of the IVth European Championship in Istambul (Turkey).
Sveshnikov of course criticize tournaments where professionals do not have a
choice and are forced to accommodate in a hotel where prices are
skyrocketing.

Yup, he misses his dear old Soviet Union.

Imagine over 150 grandmasters who do not have a choice ))
Obviously it violates human rights of the participants ... (my remark)

Heheheh!

[...]

Bottom line: it's tough to make a living as a lower rung GM.
Old July 4th 03, 06:28 PM
Jerzy

"Mikhail Golubev" wrote in message
om...
Another Sveshnikov article, "For and Against Kirsan Ilyumzhinov", is at:
http://chess-sector.odessa.ua/opinion.htm
It is in English, as all the Usenet.
(Translated by Alexander Baburin, to be precise.)

Another very interesting article. Of course every reasonable person agrees
with Sveshnikov views.
Every discredited person should leave FIDE authorities jobs immediately and
such problems as :

- World Championship and qualifying tournaments;
- Bringing sponsors and investors to chess;
- Separation of the classical and rapid chess;
- Organising of individual and team World Championships in rapid chess;
- Integration of rapid in chess in Olympiads
- Improving of the rating system, introducing ratings for rapid chess.

should be solved in favour of chessplayers. Let me cite the final words of
the article :

"We need to increase the role of chess professionals in the workings of
FIDE. In the past few years we saw so many changes in the rules of chess!
Surely, life is changing, but all alteration should take place only upon
approval by the Player's Council. We cannot trust only bureaucrats and
arbiters to change the chess rules. The Players' Council should also control
awarding of chess titles. And we need to know the FIDE budget and how it is
spent. We should not forget about junior chess and social problems of chess
professionals and trainers. Surely this list could be continued. FIDE should
assign people to deal with each issue, have a clear and transparent budge
and set deadlines and performance control checks. Is this difficult? Yes,
but this is what FIDE is for!"

Well put postulates

Regards,
Jerzy

Old July 7th 03, 08:57 PM
The Masked Bishop

Of course every reasonable person agrees
with Sveshnikov views.

Except for that early e5. Bad move, that...