Club liability

Old July 2nd 03, 03:14 PM
Pete

Default Club liability

A lawyer in our club has recently advised me to incorporate our club and get
liability insurance since our club plays mostly outdoors and at tournaments.
He says that unless we limit our liability, everyone in our club could be
sued if someone gets hurt at our outdoor chess tables or in the course of
travelling to or participating in a tournament for our club.
Does anyone have ant experience or advice in this matter? Does anyone know
what this kind of insurance might cost?
Thanks,
Pete

Old July 2nd 03, 07:44 PM
Matt Nemmers

I don't think you necessarily need liability insurance as long as your club
is incorporated. As long as your club Bylaws include something to the
effect of indemnifying any single member of the group (or some or all of
them) from legal action in the event of a lawsuit, the club could be sued as
a corporation, but not the members. As I understand it, those seeking
financial compensation from an accident or incident would be stuck taking
the club's meager $500 pot away but not be able to sue an individual in
civil court. You could then form another club under a different name with
no repercussions. But then, I could be wrong.

Your playing locale may require insurance, but I don't think it's necessary
to pay that expense for general coverage.

Regards,

Matt