Avoiding the sicilian

Old July 2nd 03, 05:28 PM
Lion

Default Avoiding the sicilian

I am looking for a way to completely avoid the sicilian defense as
white. Are there any opening systems that begin with 1. e4 but allow
me to dodge the sicilian? Its okay if the opening is not completely
sound. My opponents range from 1600 to 2000, so they won't be able to
take advantage of a minor theoretical weakness.

My reason for wanting to avoid the sicilian, is that I can prepare
long term tactical opportunities better than my opponents. So, the
sooner I put them in an uncertain position, the sooner they will begin
to leave fatal holes in their defenses. Thanks.
Old July 2nd 03, 06:57 PM
Neil Coward

What about the morra gambit?
Which is
1 e4 c5
2 d4 cd
3 c3 dc
4 Nxc3

The idea is
1) you dodge a mainline sicilian
2) you sac a pawn but you get quick development and good attacking chances
also
3) there are many traps in it for the unwary

You need to be good at tactics to play the morra though, so if you enjoy
tactics give it a go! I think its definitely sound up to GM level (Mickey
Adams has been known to play it now and then) and it crops up quite a lot in
Open tournaments

om...

Old July 2nd 03, 08:04 PM
rbauer

Neil Coward wrote:
What about the morra gambit?
Which is
1 e4 c5
2 d4 cd
3 c3 dc
4 Nxc3

The idea is
1) you dodge a mainline sicilian
2) you sac a pawn but you get quick development and good
attacking chances
also
3) there are many traps in it for the unwary

You need to be good at tactics to play the morra though,
so if you enjoy
tactics give it a go! I think its definitely sound up to
GM level (Mickey
Adams has been known to play it now and then) and it crops
up quite a lot in
Open tournaments

After 3...Nf6 you are right smack back into a main line of the 2.c3
Sicilian.

It's hard to get black out of Sicilian strategies after 1.e4 c5. That's
part of why it is so popular. That said, I've seen some black players
flop around like fish out of water in the main lines of 2.g3 and 2.b3,
and 2.b4 often ends up looking more like a French than a Sicilian. I
don't believe that any of these offers white much chance for an
advantage (and perhaps is just disadvantageous, at least in the case of
hte Wing Gambit), but I'm a Sicilian player.

Randy Bauer
http://web2news.com/?rec.games.chess.misc
Old July 2nd 03, 10:00 PM
Neil Coward

yeah thats true Nf6 and you are in a c3 sicilian but I have found most
players tend to take on the Morra gambit. A Sicilian player usually fancies
himself as being a bit tasty and is ready for a fight so if you offer him a
free pawn he will general take it and show he's not scared of what tactics
may follow.

A small percentage of players do play Nf6 though

Old July 2nd 03, 10:02 PM
Chiaromondo

The best ways to "avoid" the Sicilian include the Bb5 systems. There are
many choices for white of how to continue after that, e.g. the c4 systems,
that are like the English opening rather than the Sicilian. Then there are
the c3 systems that can be played with or without the Bb5. And if you just
want to find something, rather than play solid poker, the 2. b4 (or 3. b4)
might be good enough, and in that case should be better than 2. d4, as black
doesn't need to accept up to dxc3 - and if he does, I am sure he has a good
reason for it, as it's unnecessary.

Old July 2nd 03, 10:20 PM
Southpaw

If you learn the King's Indian Attack you can 'avoid' Sicilian, French, Caro
and just about everything else as and when the mood takes you...

Old July 2nd 03, 10:58 PM
Roman M. Parparov

Lion wrote:
I am looking for a way to completely avoid the sicilian defense as
white. Are there any opening systems that begin with 1. e4 but allow
me to dodge the sicilian? Its okay if the opening is not completely
sound. My opponents range from 1600 to 2000, so they won't be able to
take advantage of a minor theoretical weakness.

My reason for wanting to avoid the sicilian, is that I can prepare
long term tactical opportunities better than my opponents. So, the
sooner I put them in an uncertain position, the sooner they will begin
to leave fatal holes in their defenses. Thanks.

King Indian Attack is your solution.

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il
Old July 3rd 03, 08:01 PM
Neo Modern

"Southpaw" wrote in message ...
If you learn the King's Indian Attack you can 'avoid' Sicilian, French, Caro
and just about everything else as and when the mood takes you...

Yes! KIA is one of those openings you can play against large number of
openings chosen by black without much trouble. Additionaly, is played
by many GMs past and present, not that we are at that level, but it is
good to know we are not wasting time on something unsound.

--NM

Vasily Smyslov vs Efim Geller
Moscow 1951 Sicilian, Closed, 6.Be3 (B26)

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.g3 g6 4.Bg2 Bg7 5.d3 d6 6.Be3 Rb8 7.Qd2 b5 8.Nd1
b4 9.h3 e6 10.Ne2 Nd4 11.O-O Ne7 12.Nxd4 cxd4 13.Bh6 O-O 14.Bxg7 Kxg7
15.f4 e5 16.b3 Qc7 17.a3 Nc6 18.Nb2 f6 19.f5 a5 20.h4 bxa3 21.Rxa3 Nb4
22.Nc4 gxf5 23.Rxa5 fxe4 24.dxe4 Be6 25.Rfa1 Bxc4 26.Ra7 Rb7 27.Rxb7
Qxb7 28.bxc4 Nc6 29.Kh2 Ra8 30.Rf1 Ra2 31.Rxf6 Qe7 32.Qh6+ Kg8 33.c5
Rxc2 34.cxd6 Qg7 35.d7 Qxh6 36.Rxh6 Nd8 37.Rd6 Kf7 38.g4 Ke7 39.Rd5
Nf7 40.g5 Rc6 41.Bh3 Rd6 42.Kg2 Rxd5 43.exd5 Nd6 44.h5 Ne4 45.g6 hxg6
46.hxg6 Nf6 47.d6 Kd8 48.g7 1-0
Old July 3rd 03, 10:27 PM
John Macnab

Lion wrote:
I am looking for a way to completely avoid the sicilian defense as
white. Are there any opening systems that begin with 1. e4 but allow
me to dodge the sicilian? Its okay if the opening is not completely
sound. My opponents range from 1600 to 2000, so they won't be able to
take advantage of a minor theoretical weakness.

My reason for wanting to avoid the sicilian, is that I can prepare
long term tactical opportunities better than my opponents. So, the
sooner I put them in an uncertain position, the sooner they will begin
to leave fatal holes in their defenses. Thanks.

If your self-assessment is correct, then you should be slavering with
anticipation every time you see 1...c5. Presumably you play 1. e4 to
get into a tactical fight. Sicilian players want the same thing. Play
2. Nf3 and 3. d4 and get your hands dirty.

Only wimps try to avoid the Sicilian ;-)

John