Data vs. Borg in Chess!

Old July 7th 03, 07:38 AM
Briarroot

Default Data vs. Borg in Chess!

CaptJosh wrote:

Clearly the Masked Bishop entirely lacks an imagination. I find this chess
question to be quite interesting as a thought experiment. But Masked Bishop,
being without an imagination, clearly cannot grasp the idea of a theoretical
construct at this level. It would seem that he is the one who needs to get a
life. As for the idiot who has suggested that the person who posed the
question shoot himself, that person should be caned, like they do to
graffiti "artists" in Jamaica.

If he was entirely lacking in imagination, he wouldn't
refer to himself as The Masked Bishop! The responses
to the original post may best be explained by that old
saw: "ask a silly question, get a silly answer."

Or does CaptJosh entirely lack a sense of humor?

[certain cross-posted newsgroups snipped]
Old July 7th 03, 04:00 PM
Liam Too

"CaptJosh" wrote in message ...
I have a sense of humor. However, some things simply do not amuse

me.
Especially not jerks who can only tell someone out for some fun to "get a
life". Was the original post a silly question? Perhaps. But I find it
intellectually stimulating, as I have never considered it before. I find it
fascinating. CaptJosh

How so do you consider the qustions silly yet intellectually
stimulating? Have you considered the possibility that Roddenberry's
imagination is somewhat very true to life as we see the entire galaxy
with all four quadrants, objectively?

Buck Rogers was just a figment of a writer's imagination long time
ago. When Armstrong sat foot on that moon, the creation of Skylab, and
the construction of the International Space Station, such imagination
all of a sudden, became a reality.

Lance Smith
Old July 9th 03, 07:21 PM
DanielSBen

"CaptJosh" wrote in message ...
Liam Too wrote:
"CaptJosh" wrote in message
[...]

I merely admitted the objective possibility that the question was silly. I
personally don't consider it to be silly. But even silly questions can
stimulate the intellect. For example, the following riddle:

A Starfleet Cadet is marooned on a class K planet. His only supplies are his
tricorder, and a calendar. When a ship comes looking for him a year later,
he is alive and well. How did he survive?
(Note: Those who know the answer from the Voyager ep on which this riddle
was posed to Tuvok, do not answer)

CaptJosh

My guesses:

-He ate the dates
-He was so full of hot air he didn't need to breathe in.
-He used the tricorder to record a recording, then reword the
recording, reward the rewording, use the reward for something useful,
use the useful item, turn the item into a totem, use a modem from the
totem, and use the modem to order supplies from e-Bay.
-Munched on the mondays, fried the fridays, and slurped the sundays.
-use tricorder to find an inexplicable, lost well of water, use
tricorder to disable electric water guard, and drink up! (Wesley
Crusher did this in a TNG episode).
-Find the neighborhood Starbucks, drink coffee and eat scones.
-Find reverse-scalosian water, so one hour passes by in a second,
making 1 year a mere 2 hours, 6 minutes.
-Find some rocks, build a prayer niche, use the niche and the calendar
to summon the Norse gods for help (Woden, Thor, Friga, etc.).
-Turn the tricorder into a transporter (if the Cadet is a miracle
engineer), and use a feedback loop to be stuck in the transporter for
364 days.
-Ask people around for help (you didn't say there was nobody else on
the planet!)

-DanielSBen