Bobby Fischer and the King's Gambit

Old July 7th 03, 09:38 AM
Eric Hicks

Default Bobby Fischer and the King's Gambit

I wanted to check my research with you guys on some amazing stuff I
found on Fischer and the King's Gambit. I am putting a bunch of stuff on
my website and I want to make sure it is accurate..it is amazing if it
is

As far as I can tell, no one played the king's gambit on Fischer in
tournament play after Fischer lost to Spassky in 18 moves in there first
encounter ever. Here you can play through that amazing game in which
Fischer blundered and got hammered.
http://www.academicchess.com/images/...skyfact2.shtml

After this loss, which Fischer REALLY wanted to win, he went home and
wrote the most famous opening article ever called "A Bust to the King's
Gambit"

This article effectively convinced me to stop playing the kings gambit
in tournament. Any kings gambit fans should definately read it. You can
play through all the variations and get Fischer's commentary he
http://www.academicchess.com/images/...kingsgambit.sh
tml

Fischer's article effectively eliminated the King's Gambit from Grand
Master play, but it is quite amazing that Fischer was able to do that
without ever winning a tournament game to the King's Gambit.

THat is where I am not sure. DOes anyone know of Fischer ever winning
against the king's gambit? I am almost sure, Fischer never played
against it after his article...but what about before hand? Ironically,
Fischer did play the king's gambit as white on more than a couple of
instances after his article.

Any feedback from some Fischer buffs would be appreciated.

www.academicchess.com
Best Learning Chess Site on the Planet
Old July 7th 03, 09:44 AM
Eric Hicks

That link did not work.

Let me try it again, if not go to the above link, and then click on the
purple link inside the article "A Bust to the King's Gambit"

http://www.academicchess.com/images/...kingsgambit.sh
tml

http://www.academicchess.com
Best Learning Chess Site on the Planet
Old July 7th 03, 12:22 PM
Southpaw

After a quick check, your statistics would appear correct. I can only find
four Fischer games in the KG, and his loss to Spassky seems the only time he
ever actually faced it as Black, but then he didn't defend 1...e5 very
often.

In the other three games, he had 100% on the White side of the Bishop's
Gambit, all after the Spassky loss.

Spassky 1-0 Fischer Mar del Plata 1960
Fischer 1-0 Evans US Champs 63/64
Fischer 1-0 Wade Yugoslavia 1968
Fischer 1-0 Minic " "

Old July 7th 03, 03:01 PM
Ian Hurley

is it possible to download the article in it's full java state? with all the
comments?

how is it done?

"Tobi Usher" wrote in message
Eric,

Thanks for putting Fischer's original article on-line. I've often seen
quotes from it, but I never read the whole article before.

A few remarks.
1. "Fischer's article effectively eliminated the King's Gambit from Grand
Master play", you wrote.
I think that is an exaggeration. There were only a few grandmasters that
played the King's gambit before Fischer's article and there have been only

few since. Gallagher and Fedorov have played it a lot, Short and

Morozevich
on several occasions, while Shirov and Polgar have played in their younger
years. Ivanchuk used it once at Linares 1997.
So actually not a lot has changed.

2. Fischer's defence 3...d6 is recognized as a good variation alongside
other good defences, but not as the final refutation of the King's gambit.
In his book "Winning With the King's Gambit" (1992) Joe Gallagher writes
about 3...d6: "Over the last few years this variation has developed into

the
most poular way of accepting the gambit. Personally, I feel quite happy
about this as Black seems to be struggling in most of the lines."

3. For the line you give after 4.d4 g5 5.h4 g4 6.Ng1 Bh6, see Gallagher's
notes to Gallagher-Jackson, Blackpool 1988 (1-0, 41) on page 18 of his

book.

Tobi

Old July 7th 03, 07:07 PM
2sheds

I would direct any interested readers to 'A Legend on the Road', John
Donaldson's book on Fischer's 1964 simul tour. Playing white, Fischer
tried the King's Gambit seventeen times. Although only playing
amateurs, there are some real gems among the games.
Old July 8th 03, 12:37 PM
2sheds

_
Did Fischer use 3 Nf3 or 3 Bc4 ?

Fischer experimented with both 3.Nf3 and 3.Bc4 during the 1964 tour.