Mig Migged

Old July 8th 03, 01:54 PM

Default Mig Migged

One of the great debates of Our Modern Times has been the chess
strength of Mig, whose real name is Michael Greengard.

Everyone agrees that Mig is a talented writer about chess. His
articles are popular and have been read and published everywhere,
including ChessBase magazine and TWIC.

Mig also was Director of KasparovChess during its heyday.

However, Mig often puts on airs about being a chess master. When
somebody discovered that he has an old USCF rating of 1743, the
question came up as to whether this was really the same person and
whether it was likely that an adult could improve that much in a short
period of time.

Mig played in the World Open last week and now we have the answer. It
seems that the real chess stength of MIG is no better than about 1800.
He is certainly not a master.

http://www.64.com/uscf/ratings/12525629

MIG finished the tournament with a score of 3-6 which placed him
number 181. His losses were primarily to experts and to one player
rated 1990. His wins were primarily against 1500-1600 players.

The tournament wall chart showed Mig as having a rating of 2300. I
asked Bill Goichberg about this. Goichberg said that it is not against
the rules for a player to claim to be stronger than he really is. It
is only against the rules for a player to claim to be weaker than he
really is, so that he can try to win a class prize. Mig entered the
tournament claiming to have a rating of 2300 in Argentina, where he
lived for several years. That self-rating was accepted at the World
Open and Mig was paired according to that.

MIG's results show that a rating in the range of 1700 or 1800 is about
right for Mig.

Old July 8th 03, 04:18 PM
John Macnab

Gunny Bunny wrote:
Mig was on ICC with a GM rating. It was proven that he was using a Computer
Software program to boost his rating. In other words, (C)heating !!

This proves nothing of the kind.

I think it was rather brave of Mig to play under these circumstances; he
takes more than his share of public scorn over his putative
chess-playing skill. I suspect that he expected to play 2300 chess.
Hopefully he'll make more public appearances and stabilize his rating in
one class or another.

John

Old July 8th 03, 04:35 PM
Don Shennum

I directed him at the People's Chess Tournament, in Berkeley, CA about
5 years ago. He played in the class B section, and he nay have won
some prize money.

Regards,
Don Shennum

Old July 8th 03, 04:44 PM
The Masked Bishop

The only problem I've ever noticed about Mig is an ego the size of the
Ukraine. A fine chess writer, yes (although the competition is mightly
thin), but oh, the persona. There are fewer things less grand than being
Mig, it seems.

TMB

Old July 8th 03, 05:00 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

I haven`t noticed a large ego. I love his articles, though, often
informative and almost always funny, sometimes mildly, sometimes downright
hilarious.

For playing strength, he may be a better blitz player than slower time
controls. I watched him actually have a winning position against a GM in a
blitz game a couple of weeks ago on the Fritz server, his play (considering
the time control) was pretty impressive. Blitz isn`t a measure of true
playing strength, of course, but GMs are no pushovers, even at those speeds.
But I`m not a good judge of that, I`m just barely an OTB C player, and far
worse at blitz.

I don`t pay to read his articles, and neither does anyone else here as far
as I know. I`ve never understood people who insult those who give benefit
to the chess culture.

- Joshua B. Lilly

.com...

Old July 8th 03, 06:09 PM
Jerome Bibuld

Dear Mr. Lilly,

Heil Dubya!

I hope you are not criticizing "The Masked Bishop" for his mention of the
monstrous ego of "Mig". There are few whose egos can match mine, but Mig makes
me appear a Caspar Milquetoast. While this may be implied criticism, it also
is a realio trulio fact. How, therefore, would you have "The Masked Bishop"
describe his feelings concerning "Mig's" ego, if you won't accept the implied
criticism?

If I were to criticize "The Masked Bishop", it would be in disagreement of his
saying, "A fine chess writer, yes (although the competition is mightly thin),"
because he is not a fine chess writer and there is much healthy (I won't say,
"fat") competition in the field. However, I won't criticize your agreement
with "The Masked Bishop" on that account. (As my father used to say, "That's
what makes horse races.")

[...]

y.com...
The only problem I've ever noticed about Mig is an ego the size of the
Ukraine. A fine chess writer, yes (although the competition is mightly
thin), but oh, the persona. There are fewer things less grand than being
Mig, it seems.

TMB

Heute Uhmuhrikkka, Afghanistan und Irak. Morgen die ganze Welt!

Uhmuhrikkka, Uhmuhrikkka uber Alles!

Fraternally,

Jerome Bibuld
gens una sumus
Old July 8th 03, 06:39 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

Well no, I`m not trying to criticise anyone for personal taste. People like
different things, always have, always will. I like Mig`s articles quite a
bit, along with John Henderson`s. I`m not sure what better is out there,
but that`s just preference and ignorance on my part (I can`t read Russian,
for example, and I`m sure there must be good Russian articles on chess).

I just didn`t understand the ego thing. I don`t know Mig at all, except
from what he writes, and was just kind of curious what this criticism was
based on. I`m guessing you and 'The Masked Bishop' must each know Mig to
some extent so can better judge his character for yourselves. I can respect
that, but I also have to say, I don`t judge others based on what someone
else says about their personality, however accurate it may seem to be. If,
on the other hand, your opinion of him having a big ego was based purely on
his articles, then I must admit being genuinely interested what specifically
in them led you to this conclusion.

--
Joshua B. Lilly
Fake name, fake address, breathing fake air, 24/7

Old July 8th 03, 07:39 PM
chris

I asked Bill Goichberg about this. Goichberg said that it is not against
the rules for a player to claim to be stronger than he really is.

Wouldn't this kind of screw up the ratings a little bit? For instance, if I
started entering my club tourneys as a 2800, my club would soon have the
highest concentration of super-GMs in the world.

Old July 8th 03, 07:55 PM
KidDon

chris wrote:
I asked Bill Goichberg about this. Goichberg said that
it is not against
the rules for a player to claim to be stronger than he really is.

Wouldn't this kind of screw up the ratings a little bit?
For instance, if I
started entering my club tourneys as a 2800, my club would
soon have the
highest concentration of super-GMs in the world.

It doesn't directly "screw up the ratings" because the USCF doesn't care
what you claim your rating is; it will rate the games based on your real
rating. It can screw up the pairings, which can have a more indirect
effect on ratings. It will not, however, create a "concentration of
super-GMs" by any stretch.

KidDon
Old July 8th 03, 09:59 PM
Henri H. Arsenault

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:18:55 GMT, John Macnab
wrote:

Gunny Bunny wrote:
Mig was on ICC with a GM rating. It was proven that he was using a Computer
Software program to boost his rating. In other words, (C)heating !!

This proves nothing of the kind.

I think it was rather brave of Mig to play under these circumstances; he
takes more than his share of public scorn over his putative
chess-playing skill. I suspect that he expected to play 2300 chess.
Hopefully he'll make more public appearances and stabilize his rating in
one class or another.

Anyway ratings are a measure of performance and not of chess
knowledge. It is well known that some players play well below their
chess knowledge. A good example was Nimzovich, whose nervousness
probably prevented him from the world championship. He once cried out
after a loss"Why do I have to lose to this idiot?". LOL

A player who is out of practice will play way below his normal
strength, and one who is not in good physical shape will tend to
blunder away lost games due to lack of stamina. And so on.

So who cares if Mig's rating is lower han he claims? I judge his
columns by their quality. There are plenty of 2400 players who can't
write a good column.Mig can.

Henri