A strange "problem" . . . better results with black than white.

Old July 8th 03, 04:43 PM
LeModernCaveman

Default A strange "problem" . . . better results with black than white.

I have similar results against computers, but in correspondance, I'm
about the same with white and black.

It's strange but I LIKE playing black better. I like reacting more
than acting. I like making a guy over-extend, get impatient. I like
deflecting threats and playing defense. I like ignoring threats and
countering. Most of all, I just feel like I know what to do when he's
making moves more than I know how to make moves.

Wait until you run into a player with White who just builds a big center and
sits on it while you wait for him to attack.

Old July 8th 03, 08:02 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

Maybe you could re-evaluate what openings you play as White. Maybe you`re
playing something that doesn`t land you in positions that are most suitable
for your stylistic tendencies, while as Black you ARE getting into positions
that are favourable for your stylistic tendencies. It doesn`t really matter
that maybe you can play the opening flawlessly to get to the middlegame, if
the middlegame doesn`t suit your style and you don`t have a firm grasp of
the plans.

I`d recommend getting with a serious chess instructor and at least do an
opening bias survey and try to narrow down toward openings that would apply
strongly to you.

--
Joshua B. Lilly
Fake name, fake address, breathing fake air, 24/7

"Manny" wrote in message
om...

That's not the point. I'm not saying I just sit there with a hedgehog
shuffling my king from h8 to g8 waiting for him to get impatient. Nor
do I think I can beat class A players with black (or white) on a
regular basis. I'm just saying I play black better than white and I
think its sort of odd.

I'm not even touting my black playing skills. I'm wondering why my
white game doesn't seem to be as strong.

Sure, if I play a guy with great positional understanding that can
bide time and build up a strong center and not allow me to do
anything, I'll lose. But that guy isn't one of the guys I'll be
meeting on a regular basis either.

Old July 9th 03, 03:09 AM
Bill Smythe

"Manny" wrote:
.... It's strange but I LIKE playing black better. ....
.... it's a general
feeling of not liking white very much at all. ....

It could be, at least in part, a vicious circle. Win a few with black, lose
a few with white, and pretty soon you'll hate white. That will make you
disgusted when you get the white pieces, which takes the edge off your game,
etc.

It could also be because of Swiss pairings. If you are just below the
middle, you'll get paired up in round 1, down in round 2, probably up in
round 3, probably down in round 4. So if you start with white and alternate
colors each round, black will have a perfect 4-0 score in your 4 games.

Bill Smythe

Old July 9th 03, 01:24 PM
Manny

"Joshua B. Lilly" wrote in message news:[email protected]
Maybe you could re-evaluate what openings you play as White. Maybe you`re
playing something that doesn`t land you in positions that are most suitable
for your stylistic tendencies, while as Black you ARE getting into positions
that are favourable for your stylistic tendencies. It doesn`t really matter
that maybe you can play the opening flawlessly to get to the middlegame, if
the middlegame doesn`t suit your style and you don`t have a firm grasp of
the plans.

I`d recommend getting with a serious chess instructor and at least do an
opening bias survey and try to narrow down toward openings that would apply
strongly to you.

I'm not ready to get with an instructor just yet but I'll keep this in
mind. The thing is, I had been getting killed with the french defense
and I don't like Ruy Lopez positions (and I don't even know how to
play against a Caro-Kann) so I kind of stopped playing e4. The only
thing I like was playing against a sicilian.

So, I started playing d4 and I'm fine in the opening but when I get to
the middle, I sort of crumble. I tend to get "gotta be doing something
diease" and invariably end up weakening my position.

Maybe, as Ron said, I'm making conclusions based on too few results
(but I left off weeks of losses with white. I can't remember my last
win with white.)

Maybe now as I'm getting out of the opening without as much trouble, I
should look as some master games and see their middle game strategies
-- but like I said, my middle game for black has been strong so I'm
not just clueless in the middle.

I suppose I was kind of hunting for a response that this might be
symptomatic of some faulty chess thinking or something, or to hear
from someone else with a similar "problem". Probably wishful thinking.

Thanks.

Old July 10th 03, 08:22 AM
michael adams

Bill Smythe wrote:

"Manny" wrote:
.... It's strange but I LIKE playing black better. ....
.... it's a general
feeling of not liking white very much at all. ....

Have you considered you might be the Antichrist?..

snip