Do you like the French defense?

Old July 8th 03, 09:06 PM
Ivan

Default Do you like the French defense?

After 1.e4 e6 2. d4 d5

what do you think about this position; is it a good opening/middlegame ?
Old July 8th 03, 09:34 PM
Southpaw

It's not a middlegame yet, but the French is and has been one of Black's
most popular and resilient defences to e4 for a long, long time, up to and
including the strongest GMs/World Champions. I'd say that was fairly
conclusive proof of its viability.

om...

Old July 8th 03, 10:00 PM
Roman M. Parparov

In rec.games.chess.analysis Ivan wrote:
After 1.e4 e6 2. d4 d5

what do you think about this position; is it a good opening/middlegame ?

Select whether you are a troll or asking questions that make no sense
whatsoever.

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il
Old July 8th 03, 10:01 PM
Southpaw

I don't think Black has to necessarily "defend" for the whole game, unless
he's played the opening somewhat listlessly. I used to play the French too,
and was always looking for active, counter-attacking possibilities. And they
don't particularly have to be "sharp" lines, and certainly not as compared
to the Sicilian. I was never too keen on learning all that theory.

I often still think the French may well be my most suitable defence.

"Neil Coward" wrote in message
It all depends on your style and whether the French defence suits you.

I used to play the French but found it didn't suit my style, it is very
solid and I seemed to spend all the game defending, with my chances coming
in the endgame.

It was good because people used to exhaust themselves trying to break the
French down and couldn't. so after hours of trying they would be mentally
exhausted, short of time and psychologically ready for a draw.

However I on the other hand would be fuming at having had to defend all

the
game and as soon as MY chance to attack came I
was raring to go and as a bonus I found my opponent just wasn't capable of
defending (probably for the reasons in the paragraph above).

But I like attacking so I switched to the Sicilian to get sharper games.
There may be some sharp lines in the French but I just never learnt any.

Old July 8th 03, 10:58 PM
Scardanelli

"Roman M. Parparov" wrote:

In rec.games.chess.analysis Ivan wrote:
After 1.e4 e6 2. d4 d5

what do you think about this position; is it a good opening/middlegame ?

Select whether you are a troll or asking questions that make no sense
whatsoever.

What do you think that YOU are, Mr. NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical
manager?

Old July 9th 03, 01:50 AM
LeModernCaveman

It's not a middlegame yet, but the French is and has been one of Black's
most popular and resilient defences to e4 for a long, long time, up to and
including the strongest GMs/World Champions. I'd say that was fairly
conclusive proof of its viability.

It's ideal for a beginner in that it teaches a lot about pawn structure, good
and bad bishops, spatial advantages, strong defenses, and endgame
considerations in the opening and middlegame.

Old July 9th 03, 06:56 AM
Ted

?

Select whether you are a troll or asking questions that make no sense
whatsoever.

What do you think that YOU are, Mr. NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU

technical
manager?

He probably thinks he's a rocket scientist.

Old July 9th 03, 10:11 AM
Scardanelli

Ted wrote:

"Scardanelli" wrote
"Roman M. Parparov" wrote:

In rec.games.chess.analysis Ivan wrote:
After 1.e4 e6 2. d4 d5

what do you think about this position; is it a good opening/middlegame

?

Select whether you are a troll or asking questions that make no sense
whatsoever.

What do you think that YOU are, Mr. NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU

technical
manager?

He probably thinks he's a rocket scientist.

Well, and this explains his rudeness?

Old July 9th 03, 10:37 AM
Roman M. Parparov

In rec.games.chess.analysis Scardanelli wrote:
Ted wrote:

"Scardanelli" wrote
"Roman M. Parparov" wrote:

In rec.games.chess.analysis Ivan wrote:
After 1.e4 e6 2. d4 d5

what do you think about this position; is it a good opening/middlegame

?

Select whether you are a troll or asking questions that make no sense
whatsoever.

What do you think that YOU are, Mr. NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU

technical
manager?

He probably thinks he's a rocket scientist.

Well, and this explains his rudeness?

Calling senseless questions senseless is not rude, it is politically
incorrect.

Old July 9th 03, 11:45 AM
Scardanelli

"Roman M. Parparov" wrote:
[...]

Calling senseless questions senseless is not rude, it is politically
incorrect.

[...]

You are rude and nothing else if you ignore the possibility that
what doesn't make sense to you might make sense to others.
Asking for opinions about a common and classical opening may
be a bit curious and is not likely to produce informative results, ok.
But so what? Do you also insult people who want to have a chat
about the weather?