Mig Migged

Old July 10th 03, 01:02 PM

Default Mig Migged

On 10 Jul 2003 10:25:29 GMT, ojunk (Ernest W.
Schlich) wrote:

I had the pleasure of talking with Mig at the tournament. I think it was
Saturday evening when he stopped to check the facts concerning something that
occured that evening. I don't know how strong he is, but he did mention not
having played in six years. I strongly believe that almost anyone who has been
inactive in serious chess for that long would have difficulty in their first
event, especially when considering the fact he played in the open section of
the World Open.

Mig is in a position where he is damned what ever he does. If he claims the
2300 rating and does poorly, see how he is attacked. If he did not claim the
rating and played in a lower section, and won money, he would still be
attacked. I hope he continues to play serious chess and perhaps everyone can
debate his skill after he has played several serious events.

You ignore the point that Mig has a USCF rating from 1996 of 1743.
http://www.64.com/uscf/ratings/12525629

Nobody would object to him playing under that rating. However, he does
not want anybody to know that his real rating is so low, so he claims
a 2300 rating.

Note that he contradicts himself. He says that he is out of practice
because he has not played in 6 years. However, six years ago his
rating was 1743.
http://www.64.com/uscf/ratings/12525629

A side note, the incident concerned two GMs who aggreed to a draw before the
round started. I heard that one stated he was not feeling well. Carol Jarecki -
frequently much maligned on this NG - scored the result as a double forfeit.
This resulted in both players appearing on the tournament floor and playing for
about 20-30 minuted before agreeing to a draw. Kudos to Carol for enforcing the
rules regardless of the fact it concerned titled players. I have the highest
praise for a journalist who approaches the officials at an event to doublecheck
the facts.

Regards, Ernie
Ernest W. Schlich

Thank you for explaining this controversial incident. I think that
this subject merits some discussion.