What's A Productive Way to...

Old July 10th 03, 09:42 PM
SilverStarPub

Default What's A Productive Way to...

....use your time when you're not 'on the clock.' ( Your opponent's time is
running.)

Do you do a piece count?
Do you find out what your opponent could be up to?
Does it matter if you have the better or worse position?
Do you goof off? :-)

Comments?
Old July 10th 03, 10:16 PM
Dan Yobry

A little of everything (except the goofing off). Look at his position, check
out the weaknesses. Try and figure out what he's going to do. Start thinking
of your next move if you are confident of his. Doesn't matter if your
position is better or worse, you always need to be thinking.

"He who hesitates, masturbates."

Win $5,000 if you can name that movie.

Anyway, like I said. Always be thinking.

-Dan

--
email me at danyobry(at)attbi.com

Old July 11th 03, 12:00 AM
Ray Slater

Best thing to do while your opponent thanks is to sip your beer. That
way when your move comes along your relaxed.

http://www.academicchess.com
Old July 11th 03, 12:43 AM
Dan Yobry

Very nice.

It is indeed The Cable Guy... which in my opinion is one of the most
underrated comedies of all time.

As for the $5,000. I seem to have misplaced it somewhere. Get back to me in
a week or so and we'll figure something out.

-Dan

Old July 11th 03, 03:54 AM
Dan Yobry

What I would do is walk around and and check out all the girls and rate them
according to my own Yobrian sytem of rating female attractiveness.

0 = ugly
0 = average
1 = sort of cute
2 = cute
3 = really cute
4 = hot
5 = perfection

As for the "below zero" for ugliness, I feel there is no need to assign
ugliness a specific number because that is just mean. My scale focuses on
attraction, not repulsiveness. It is sufficient to simply say that they are
below the average... 0.

Also, you can you +s. For example, Is she is really cute, but not quite hot,
give her a 3+.

Sorry, drifting from chess. I would also think about how bad my opponents
pawns sucked.

-Dan

Old July 12th 03, 08:06 AM
RSHaas

I like to walk away from my game in the hope of returning with a fresh
perspective. All of have experienced the easy finding of a good line of play
while observing someone else's game...a line that the two players often miss.
(RSHaas)
Old July 12th 03, 05:30 PM
Bill Smythe

"RSHaas" wrote:
.... All of have experienced the easy finding of a good line of play
while observing someone else's game...a line that the two players often

miss.

I once had an adjournament (in the old days before sudden death) in which,
once the game resumed, I did not even recognize the position! Talk about a
fresh perspective. It was the correct position, though.

Bill Smythe

Old July 13th 03, 01:39 AM
CeeBee

"Dan Yobry" wrote

Very nice.

It is indeed The Cable Guy... which in my opinion is one of the most

.....worhtless....

comedies of all time.

--
CeeBee