Nick Bourbaki's many lies

Old July 12th 03, 12:18 AM
Nick

Default Nick Bourbaki's many lies

I am writing this post today to set straight the factual record with regard
to a direct personal attack by Tim Hanke, who *created* this thread only for
that purpose. The direct ancestor of this thread was named, "Tim Hanke's
Cultural Prejudice", which was created by Don Mihokovich, *not* me.

Tim Hanke has not written to me recently; after I have completed my responses
to his previous attacks, I hope that our posts here will *never* cross paths
again. I have no interest in Tim Hanke's USCF political career, and he can
continue fighting with his many USCF political enemies in RGCP (which I don't
follow) without any interference by me. Hanke's "Internet Stalker" epithet
for me is ludicrous.

"He was a falsehood done in flesh and blood."
--Mark Twain (The Gilded Age)

"Tim Hanke" wrote in message news:
[email protected]
The Internet Stalker "Nick" wrote ...

Note: Without indicating it here, Tim Hanke snipped Igor Kulikov's post of
9 June 2003 in the ancestral thread, "Tim Hanke's Cultural Prejudice".
That was the (snipped) post from which I would be quoting below.

Lately, Tim Hanke has been insisting to me that he adheres to 'the rules
of these newsgroups' by writing posts only about chess subjects.

Nick,

I never said that. As usual, you are not being truthful. Your nose must be a
yard long by now.

I never claimed that the specific quoted phrase, 'the rules of these
newsgroups', was written by Tim Hanke. In fact, it was written by Igor
Kulikov, which would have been clear if his original post (reproduced below)
had been visible to the reader. But Tim Hanke already had snipped it.

On 9 June 2003 in the ancestral thread, "Tim Hanke's Cultural Prejudice",
Igor Kulikov wrote about Tim Hanke (the complete post):
"He violates *the rules of these newsgroups*. He propagates racism. The
moderator of these newsgroups would kick him out. He doesn't deserve to be
a member of these newsgroups."

The context of that dispute between Tim Hanke and me was Hanke's contention
that his writings in chess newsgroups were chess-related and that my writings
were not chess-related. As far as I know, both Tim Hanke and I often have
written on not strictly chess-related subjects here, yet both of us have
written on specific chess subjects. To his credit, when Tim Hanke writes on
technical chess subjects, his posts tend to seem more or less OK to me.

The truth is, I *often* write on subjects related to the newsgroups I post
on, whereas you *rarely* do.

A Usenet search should find many posts of mine here on specific chess subjects.

Your chess newsgroup posts probably break down like this:

66% Attacks on Tim Hanke in which you quote me out of context or outright lie
33% Random pretentious musings heavily padded by quotes
1% Random pretentious musings with a tenuous connection to chess

Tim Hanke has confused his wild surmise with statistical evidence.
Evidently, Hanke has not even read all my posts here, so he's in no position
to make a comprehensive statistical evaluation of their contents. Naturally,
Hanke tends to remember most any posts of mine wherein he's mentioned, but he's
mentioned much less often in proportion to my total output of posts than he
assumes.

On 21 April 2003, Larry Tapper wrote to me:
"I've been enjoying your scholarly digressions, Latin epigrams, etc."

On 21 April 2003, Tim Hanke wrote to Larry Tapper about me:
"I too enjoy his (my) *scholarly digressions*, Latin epigrams, etc."

Now Tim Hanke characterises my "scholarly digressions" that he enjoys as
"random pretentious musings". So was Tim Hanke lying to Larry Tapper or
is Tim Hanke lying now?

I have quoted authorities on many subjects because my readers may prefer to
read their actual words instead of simply taking my word for what they wrote.

Since he created this thread to attack me, Tim Hanke has had about one month
to provide his evidence of my alleged "many lies" about him, and he has
provided *no evidence* of them whatsoever. Tim Hanke's accusation warrants
no further response beyond disdain.

Finally, let's examine Tim Hanke's claim that I frequently quote him out of
context. Hanke did not cite any examples, so let's take my most recent and
relevant usage of quoting him in the ancestral thread, "Tim Hanke's Cultural
Prejudice":

On 8 June 2003, I wrote this post, with the relevant excerpt reproduced he
"Here's another of Tim Hanke's recent comments:
In the RGCM thread, 'Zhang Zhong revisited' (2 June 2003), Tim Hanke wrote to
Bill Smythe: 'Bugger the Chinese....'..."

On 8 June 2003, Bill Anderson asked whether Tim Hanke really had written that.
Tim Hanke's *complete post, including all his quoting of what Bill Smythe had
written*, to Bill Smythe. That evidence seemed sufficient to convince Bill
Anderson, and I considered it unnecessary to repeat what Louis Blair had done.

Nonetheless, on 11 June 2003, I posted a direct response to Bill Anderson,
wherein I quoted Tim Hanke's *complete original post*, though not including
what he had quoted from Bill Smythe's post. Louis Blair already had posted
all that in the thread.

Hence, Louis Blair and I accurately quoted Tim Hanke's "Bugger the Chinese"
remark within the complete context of both Bill Smythe's and Tim Hanke's posts.

Anyone interested may read all those posts in the ancestral thread,
"Tim Hanke's Cultural Prejudice".

"It was important throughout the trial to keep the focus on (David) Irving
all the time, to plug away at his distortions and manipulations of the
documentary evidence and to expose the racist and extremist opinions that
had led him to engage in such a betrayal of the historian's calling."
--Richard Evans (Lying About Hitler, p. 263)

fiat lux
--Nick
Old July 12th 03, 02:30 AM
StanB

"Nick" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Hey Bwana Nick, we're still waiting to here about this great country from
which you hail. Until that you're just another phony.

StanB

"He speaks with forked tongue."
--Chief Red Cloud

Old July 12th 03, 03:01 AM
Mhoulsby

From: "StanB"
Date: 12/07/03 01:30 GMT Daylight Time

"Nick" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Like Briarroot, you're REALLY ****ING DUMB, aren't you?

Nick's *precise location* is clear to anyone who is able to read and,
crucially, HAS READ all of the relevant evidence. Any failure to "observe the
obvious" [to borrow Briarroot's cutting little phrase] is YOUR problem, nobody
else's...

****wit.

Mark

Er ist verschwunden
Es war nur ein Augenblick
Es war eine Art von Glück

Er ist verschwunden
Unter dem was er gezogen hat
liegt er begraben

(guess who)
Old July 18th 03, 06:27 AM
Nick

"StanB" wrote in message ...
"Nick" wrote in message
m...
I am writing this post today to set straight the factual record with regard
to a direct personal attack by Tim Hanke, who *created* this thread only
for that purpose. The direct ancestor of this thread was named, "Tim
Hanke's Cultural Prejudice", which was created by Don Mihokovich, *not* me.

Tim Hanke has not written to me recently; after I have completed my
cross paths again. I have no interest in Tim Hanke's USCF political career
and he can continue fighting with his many USCF political enemies in RGCP
(which I don't follow) without any interference by me. Hanke's "Internet
Stalker" epithet for me is ludicrous.

"He was a falsehood done in flesh and blood."
--Mark Twain (The Gilded Age)

(StanB snipped the rest of my post, which may be read in this thread.)

Hey Bwana Nick, we're still waiting to here about this great country from
which you hail. Until that you're just another phony.

StanB

Since Tim Hanke *created* this thread to make a direct personal attack
on me by accusing me of having written "many lies" about him, Tim
Hanke has *failed* to provide any *evidence* here to support his
sweeping accusation against me.

Hence, Tim Hanke's broad accusation that I have written "many lies"
about him does not warrant any response beyond disdain. And whenever
Tim Hanke decides to reiterate his baseless accusation without
providing sufficient supporting evidence, that base action brings
dishonour only to Tim Hanke, none to me.

Now StanB has come back in his characteristic belligerent, insolent
form. Evidently, StanB has stereotyped me as a black African, who
(according to the obstinately ignorant StanB) must welcome being
addressed in Swahili, and he insists on continuing to call me 'Bwana'
(a Swahili term), even though I have informed him several times that
it's inappropriate. Of course, racists like StanB tend to be
extremely reluctant learners.

'A very remarkable people the Zulus: they defeat our generals; they
convert our bishops; they have settled the fate of a great European
dynasty.'
--Benjamin Disraeli

In fact, most Africans (such as the Zulus) don't speak Swahili and
should not welcome being addressed as 'Bwana'. So why does StanB
keep inappropriately addressing me as 'Bwana'? Might StanB be
seeking to practise his Swahili with me?

In the thread, 'Zhang Zhong revisited' (26 May 2003), StanB wrote
to Mark Houlsby (here's StanB's complete original post):
"Sieg Heil!
StanB"

"Sieg Heil!" is an infamous Nazi slogan, which was used to salute
Hitler. But might StanB have been seeking to practise his German
with Mark Houlsby?

In the thread, 'A new enemy of Lev Khariton' (25 May 2003), StanB
wrote to me: (StanB's complete original post, his quotes snipped):
"I ask you this Bwana Nick, have you ever eaten pygmy?
StanB"

So would StanB appreciate this response?
'Pumbavu! Mimi ni askari Mdaichi.' :-)

StanB wrote (above, in his post to which I am responding here):
"Hey Bwana Nick, we're still waiting to here (sic) about this great
country from which you hail. Until that you're just another phony."

StanB's sudden confession of his ignorance about 'my homeland' is
surprising. Previously, in the 'Zhang Zhong revisited' thread, StanB
has written at some length about my supposed 'homeland', denouncing
it for its alleged cultural practices of cannibalism, murder, and
genocide. I have to say that StanB has got things backward he
one should identify one's target clearly *before*, not *after*,
one bombs it into rubble (though sometimes the United States also
has got things similarly backward).

And I don't understand why StanB seems so obsessed with regard to
my national origin(s). Surely, no one is responsible for one's
place of birth, and I never would think any less of anyone else on
account of that. Also, as far as I know, some United States laws
prohibit discrimination against any person on account of one's
national origin(s). So why does StanB seem so intent here on
violating at least the spirit of those laws?

I don't recall ever having specifically discussed 'my country',
'my nation', or 'my homeland' here, let alone having extolled it,
as StanB has implied. Can StanB provide any evidence that I have
boasted about 'my great country'? Of course, being unable to
identify my supposed 'homeland' has not prevented racists such
as StanB and Briarroot from already condemning it or its culture(s).

And I don't understand the continuing practice here of being called
a 'liar' or a 'phony' without attaching supporting evidence by Tim
Hanke or StanB. But I am not an expert on the 'political culture'
of some extreme right-wing jingoistic American racists.

fiat lux
--Nick
Old July 18th 03, 11:09 AM
Briarroot

Nick (The Liar) wrote:

Since Tim Hanke *created* this thread to make a direct personal attack
on me by accusing me of having written "many lies" about him, Tim
Hanke has *failed* to provide any *evidence* here to support his
sweeping accusation against me.

I also called you a liar and a phony and I *did* provide evidence
in the form of your own quoted messages. You haven't yet answered
those charges. According to your usual practice, you'll probably
wait a few weeks until the casual readers have forgotten just what
was said, then you'll falsify a quote or two to 'prove' you were
'unfairly' accused. You're a liar, Nick - plain and simple.

Hence, Tim Hanke's broad accusation that I have written "many lies"
about him does not warrant any response beyond disdain. And whenever
Tim Hanke decides to reiterate his baseless accusation without
providing sufficient supporting evidence, that base action brings
dishonour only to Tim Hanke, none to me.

Your own falsehoods provide all the dishonor you can carry.

Now StanB has come back in his characteristic belligerent, insolent
form. Evidently, StanB has stereotyped me as a black African, who
(according to the obstinately ignorant StanB) must welcome being
addressed in Swahili, and he insists on continuing to call me 'Bwana'
(a Swahili term), even though I have informed him several times that
it's inappropriate. Of course, racists like StanB tend to be
extremely reluctant learners.

You are very poor at reading the evidence. StanB never said you
were African, you've overplayed this hand, as usual.

In fact, most Africans (such as the Zulus) don't speak Swahili and
should not welcome being addressed as 'Bwana'. So why does StanB
keep inappropriately addressing me as 'Bwana'? Might StanB be
seeking to practise his Swahili with me?

Nah, that was just his way of expressing his disrespect for you.

[...]

This is going to come as a shock to your Lickspittle, Houlsby.
But then, he's got his head so far up your ass he can no longer
see the light of day.

And I don't understand the continuing practice here of being called
a 'liar' or a 'phony' without attaching supporting evidence by Tim
Hanke or StanB.

I already posted direct evidence of your lies. You've so far
avoided responding. Why?

But I am not an expert on the 'political culture'
of some extreme right-wing jingoistic American racists.

So anyone who notices your lies is an "extreme right-wing jingoistic
American racist?" No, you certainly aren't an expert on political
culture! LOL
Old July 18th 03, 11:21 AM
Briarroot

NoMoreChess wrote:

.
Regarding these attacks on Nick's country of origin, I have a few comments.

Hey Bwana Nick, we're still waiting to here about this great country from
which you hail. Until that you're just another phony.

The fundamental idea here is that, in order to be in any position to
criticize the USA, you need to come from a country whose history is "without
sin."

To this concept, I have just one thing to say: "Horsehucky. "

This is but a well-known propaganda device, utilized for thousands of years.
Worse still, it is a mangled version of the device, as one's country's past
sins are unrelated to one's own sins, which are in turn, unrelated to the
ability to make valid criticisms.

You're absolutely right of course, but I (and the others) aren't
trying to justify the sins of the USA, nor do we wish to offer
expiation; we're just looking for a little perspective on these
issues. That's all.

[snip a bit of fun with Nick's Lickspittle]

What I like most about this, is the distinct possibility that Nick is from
the USA, and so, in roundly condemning Nick's "unknown" country of origin, the
Gutter Patriots (sorry, but it fits...) have dug their own graves!
Ah, but we should be so lucky! More likely, Nick will turn out to be from
some dreadful country whose history rivals our own. Then the GP's can rant on
and on about "his" crimes, as if that, in any way absolved "our" own.

I considered this briefly, but Nick's insistence that the racist
ditty he repeatedly quoted, was frequently heard in modern American
school yards, suggests that he actually has very little contact with
the US.

And I don't understand the continuing practice here of being called
a 'liar' or a 'phony' without attaching supporting evidence by Tim
Hanke or StanB. But I am not an expert on the 'political culture'
of some extreme right-wing jingoistic American racists.

The above paragraph is self-incriminating!

What genuine "intellectual," a word which was mentioned, along with "phony,"
by one of Nick's many critics, would append such a stream of obvious ad hominem
attacks at the end of a demand for "supporting evidence"?

Evidence. Objective. Proof positive. Relevant. Material. Conclusive.

Argumentative? Personal?? Slanted?!! Ad Hominem!??

Heh. Nick gives himself carte blanche to say what he likes; his
critics however, he brands as "extreme right-wing jingoistic American
racists." Nick wears his sack-cloth and ashes rather poorly. ;-)
Old July 18th 03, 01:27 PM
Mhoulsby

From: Briarroot
Date: 18/07/03 10:21 GMT Daylight Time
NoMoreChess wrote:

.
[...]

Unsurprisingly you have failed to address many astute observations by
NoMoreChess...

No doubt you'll reply not only to this, but to my reply to him, with your
inimitable brand of horse****.

Please prove me wrong about that, at least...
Old July 18th 03, 10:42 PM
NoMoreChess

..
You're absolutely right of course,

Of course. Always have been. But it's very lonely up here, all by myself.
Heck, I don't even enjoy beating up on my HAL9000 computer at chess,
anymore....

but I (and the others) aren't
trying to justify the sins of the USA, nor do we wish to offer
expiation; we're just looking for a little perspective on these
issues. That's all.

To place this into somewhat better perspective, may I point out that this
issue is not only way off-topic, but more to the point, it is both dangerous
and useless to try and discuss politics or religion with those radical
extremists who dare to disagree with those of us who actually know everything!

I considered this briefly, but Nick's insistence that the racist
ditty he repeatedly quoted, was frequently heard in modern American
school yards, suggests that he actually has very little contact with
the US.

Either that, or else he frequents the schoolyards near my home, where I go
and sing for quarters every day. You see, the kids mistakenly think that by
paying me, I will actually shut up and go away!
Okay, so my choice of songs is rather limited -- what do you expect for a
lousy QUARTER? It's either that ditty, or else "Ring of Fire," sung in a
semi-low voice which pales in comparison to Johnny Cash.

Nick gives himself carte blanche to say what he likes; his
critics however, he brands as "extreme right-wing jingoistic American
racists."

You mean to say that you're NOT all extremist, right-wing, jingoistic
racists??!
You just shattered my little world. If you're not really all those dreadful
things, then... this means that Nick is... full of hot air?