GM's away from chess

Old July 12th 03, 08:02 AM
Neil Coward

Default GM's away from chess

I think Tiamanov was also a concert pianist wasn't he?

"RSHaas" wrote in message
Occasionally I wonder what chess grandmasters do when they are away

from the
game.
Do any of them fly aircraft? Any gourmet cooks among them? Have any
experienced combat in the military? Any fine artists? Have any become

wealthy
outside chess? Anything else that might be interesting?

RSHaas

Old July 12th 03, 08:23 AM
Mhoulsby

From: "Neil Coward"
Date: 12/07/03 07:02 GMT Daylight Time
I think Tiamanov was also a concert pianist wasn't he?

Yes, that's right. Smyslov an opera singer... I seem to recall that Randy Bauer
started a thread similar to this one a little while ago...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O6BE51D35

Mark

Old July 12th 03, 08:23 AM
RSHaas

"I think Tiamanov was also a concert pianist wasn't he?" (Neil.Coward)
===========
Yes, he was. But what about the younger GM's? What do they do, I wonder?

RSHaas
Old July 12th 03, 11:39 AM
Neil Coward

Don't forget being a GM usually means you are a full time professional. Also
if you get to GM I think you can consider yourself as extremely successful
in your career.

Its a bit much to expect these talented people to have a second talent as
well. Its a bit like saying "So what does Eric Clapton do when he's not
playing guitar?"

Old July 12th 03, 12:57 PM
Jerzy

"RSHaas" wrote in message
Occasionally I wonder what chess grandmasters do when they are away

from the
game.
Do any of them fly aircraft? Any gourmet cooks among them? Have any
experienced combat in the military? Any fine artists? Have any become

wealthy
outside chess? Anything else that might be interesting?

Just google the thread "Chess Players Who Excelled in Other Areas"
You will find many examples there.

Regards,
Jerzy

Old July 12th 03, 09:30 PM
Wilma

William Lombardy was a priest. I don't remember seeing this fact in thread
we had in here about GMs accomplished in other areas.

Wilma

Old July 12th 03, 10:50 PM
Greg Teets

Wilma,

I tried to search Dejanews for the earlier thread you spoke of. All I
found was one on intelligence of grandmasters and what other fields
their intelligence might have qualified them for. It has 61 threads
so mit may have gotten pretty far-ranging.

Do you know any keywords I could search for to find the thread you
spoke of?

Thanks.

Greg

Old July 12th 03, 11:05 PM
Wilma

I see MHoulsby's post gave a reference to that thread. The subject line was
"Chess Players Who Excelled in other areas. See Houlsby's post for the link.

Wilma

Old July 13th 03, 02:48 AM
Greg Teets

Thanks.

I got in on this one a little late.

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:05:34 GMT, "Wilma"
wrote:

I see MHoulsby's post gave a reference to that thread. The subject line was
"Chess Players Who Excelled in other areas. See Houlsby's post for the link.

Wilma

.. .