Charges vs. Old USCF Leaders

Old July 12th 03, 05:29 PM

Default Charges vs. Old USCF Leaders

At 12:04 PM 7/12/2003 EDT, a reader wrote:

James Schroeder, known for his intemperate screeds, has stated in his
latest that both Edmondson & Morrison were asked to leave USCF for "stealing money." They are also
accused of accepting bribes for allocating coveted slots to undeserving
guys like Geo. Kane on 1974 Olympic Team. Can you corroborate these
charges?

George Kane was working for me briefly in Wall Street when this
happened. What happened was that George Kane won the Marshall Chess
Club Championship by a huge score, something like 11-1.

Bonus and Feedback Rating Points were in effect at that time. This
enabled George Kane to gain more than 300 rating points in that one
tournament.

George Kane was initially left off the US Olympic Team Team, so he
protested to Edmondson and got put on the team.

I doubt that there was any corruption involved.

George Kane played very poorly in the 1974 World Chess Olympiad and,
because of his result of losing almost every game, the US Team got its
worst ever result.

George Kane later played in the US Championship, where he finished
last.

George Kane never again had another result like that result in the
Marshall Chess Club Championship.

One permanent thing did come out of this, however: George Kane became
a father as a result. I am fairly certain that the woman with whom he
had a baby agreed to have a baby with him because of his high USCF
rating after winning the Marshall Chess Club Championship. The baby is
now 29 years old.

Old July 15th 03, 02:52 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
SNIP
One permanent thing did come out of this, however: George Kane became
a father as a result. I am fairly certain that the woman with whom he
had a baby agreed to have a baby with him because of his high USCF
rating after winning the Marshall Chess Club Championship. The baby is
now 29 years old.

Sam Sloan

Oh, I know. All those hundreds of groupie chicks who hang out at the big
Opens fall all over themselves trying to land a catch with a USCF Elo of
2200+.

Unfortunately, with a rating of only around 1600, I get stuck with the
left-overs. Usually fat chicks. Pretty slim pickins after those much
coveted by the women chess experts take all the good ones....

Regards,

Matt