Chess Mentor

Old July 13th 03, 12:00 PM
Prometh

Default Chess Mentor

Hi there,
I found the Demoversion of Chess Mentor ( http://www.chess.com ) and I would
like to know if some of you purchased Chess Mentor and use it for your
chesstraining. Could you share your experience and tell me if you saw an
improvement of your game ? Besdies I would like to know how you would value it
compared with the produkts of Chessbase or Chess Assistent ? I plan to buy the
databases of Silman for advanced player, perhaps your words could convince me
to make that decision or not. Besides does anyone know where I can purchase it
in germany. gambit-soft.com doesnt work, so ..?
however thanks for your answers and please excuse my poor english
Frank
Old July 13th 03, 06:56 PM
Eric Hicks

I would stand behind Chess Mentor whole heartedly. I think it is
excellent resource and if you went through all the modules (it would
take you a year) and studies each problem and understood all the ideas,
you would have all that it takes to become a chess master. I know when
they started making that program that was their goal, from beginner to
master in 1000 easy lessons. They have some amazing writers who have
worked on it. My favorite modules are from FM Craig Mar, IM Marc Leski
and of course IM Jeremy Silman.

I think Chess mentor is an incredible effort and has not really gotten
the Kudos it deserves.

You cant really compare it to chessbase, which is more of a database and
publishing package. Grandmasters use chessbase extensively for opening
preparation against specific opponents.

I would compare chess mentor to reading a chess book, but it is much
better because of the sweet interface. No need to have a manual board
set up in front of you.

We use chess mentor a lot for training our instructors. As a learning
interface I think it is about as good as it can be.

We have more info on chess mentor at our site:
http://www.academicchess.com/help/in...utersoft.shtml

http://www.academicchess.com