Who is the nicest Grand Master

Old July 13th 03, 07:46 PM
EZoto

Default Who is the nicest Grand Master

Anand and Khalifman come to mind. As a matter of fact when the fide
knockout tournament came to the fore Khalifman won the title of FIDE
world champion. There were many critics of his title but it wasn't
harped on as you would think. Why? Because Khalifman is one of the
true gentlemen of the game. The way you describe Defirmian if he won
the FIDE knockout title no one can say anything bad about the guy. He
is kind, considerate etc, etc, etc. Then comes Anand. Another
gentlemen of the same class as the great gentlemen of all Paul Keres.
So FIDE got lucky with 2 guys who held the title ( and they deserved
it ) that the press would find almost impossible to say anything bad
about so FIDE looks good. Then Ponomariov ( egomaniac ) comes along
and guess how the FIDE title looks now.

EZoto
Old July 13th 03, 07:50 PM
Jerzy

"Eric Hicks" wrote in message
We use to joke that the larger the rating, the bigger the ass hole.
Through the years, i have learned that is not always true, and there are
some nice guy strong chess players out there.

Nick deFirmian gets my vote as the nicest Grand Master I have ever met
or heard of.

That`s right he`s amongst the nicest and has my vote too

Cheers

Jerzy

Old July 14th 03, 03:32 PM
LeModernCaveman

Dear Mr. Hicks,

Heil Dubya!

Nick is a wonderful guy (especially because he inscribed one of my copies of
MCO with, "To the greatest arbiter", over his signature), but there are
really
too many to choose from. Without stopping to think, I can mention Andersson,
Ashley, Bisguier,

Bisguier probably is the nicest of all of them.

I would pick Maurice Ashley, because he is the dearest personal friend among
those on the list.

Yeah, he was a PERSONAL acquaintance of mine too. So exceptionally polite right
before he dusted me at the Manhattan.

Did meet him on a subway in Brooklyn in 1988 (he was an IM at the time), and he
showed me where the tables were in Prospect Park. Very nice little spot to
find strong games in NYC (as if that were difficult).

Old July 14th 03, 05:51 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

GMs like Nick de Firmian, Maurice Ashely, Yasser Seirawan, and others have
high reputations in the USA (though I believe de Firmian now lives in
Europe). Among the Super GMs, you`ve got Anand, J. Polgar, and Khalifman
who I believe are noted for being especially kind-hearted and polite.

I have briefly "met" (if a few words counts) GMs Michael Rohde and Julio
Bacerra (who is now a US resident I think, a great boon to the USA as a
whole and the southern US in particular), both of whom made favourable
impressions on me. Especially Bacerra, who I have seen several times and a
couple of months ago, when I complimented and thanked him for a fine,
precise endgame victory over IM Larry Kaufman at the 2002 Millennium, he
said "Oh yes, I remember, that`s when I used to play well." The way he said
it really made it funny, he seems to have a good sense of humour and seems
very humble and personable, smiles a lot, very polite and somewhat proper
(by modern US standards, anyway), and easily approachable.

Speaking of which, though not a GM, IM Larry Kaufman has to rank among the
nicest titled chess players around. I think anyone who has spoken with Mr.
Kaufman would quickly attest to this. His reputation, at least in the
southeastern USA, is very high, and any time someone starts talking about
chess players` attitudes around here, his comes up as the perfect model of a
high-rated player.

- Joshua B. Lilly

"Eric Hicks" wrote in message
We use to joke that the larger the rating, the bigger the ass hole.
Through the years, i have learned that is not always true, and there are
some nice guy strong chess players out there.

Nick deFirmian gets my vote as the nicest Grand Master I have ever met
or heard of.

He always impressed me as a down to earth nice guy. He is the type that
can fit in anywhere...not just with anywhere. No wonder he has had the
success he has had outside of chess.

If you have ever seen that guy around chess and kids its amazing.

Also as a patzer (expert) chess player and a starving Berkeley student,
I will never forget when Nick invited me a group of chess players out
for drinks. The bill came to over $200 for six of us. I about choked.
And can you imagine the Grand Master, definately the strongest player in
the group, picked up the check without hesitation before we had a chance
to reach in our pockets and chip in the few bucks that we had. When you
are poor and starving, you remember gestures like that.

http://www.academicchess.com

Old July 14th 03, 06:36 PM
FredH

"EZoto" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
snip
..... Then Ponomariov ( egomaniac ) comes along
and guess how the FIDE title looks now.

EZoto

Personally, I think Pono has been handed a bad rap, at least he doesn't
deserve most of the flack he is getting. People started on him right after
his victory against Ivanchuk, before the Prague Agreement had even been
discussed.

Anand was/is an exceptional case he never got slagged, but I seem to
remember Khalifman's victory in FIDE WCH being ridiculed also, for much the
same reasons as for Pono. . Point is, the stink of FIDE rubbed off on Pono,
which is unfortunate, I don't think he's that bad a guy, he just had the
misfortune of winning an already poorly regarded "World Title", against
Ivanchuk whom everyone was pulling for.

Regards,
Fred.

Old July 19th 03, 08:45 AM
Tony Lew

Eric Hicks wrote in message ...
We use to joke that the larger the rating, the bigger the ass hole.\

This is disgusting. Someone actually measured Grandmaster's anuses and
studied the relation to their ELO ratings !?

Old July 19th 03, 04:43 PM
EZoto

You should also take into account that EZoto is Pono`s personal enemy ))

Regards,

Jerzy

Personal?

EZoto
Old July 19th 03, 09:46 PM
Jerzy

"EZoto" wrote in messgae
news:[email protected]

You should also take into account that EZoto is Pono`s personal enemy

))

Personal?

Aren`t you ?

Regards,

Jerzy

Old July 20th 03, 11:04 AM
Jerzy

"EZoto" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Aren`t you ?

Of course not. Just because he thinks he deserves to be treated as
one of the greatest players in history doesn't make me his personal
enemy. Sort of what Barry Bonds said about Babe Ruth quoting Bonds:
I'll leave Babe Ruth in the dust. Bonds is just a plain jerk.

EZoto

Sorry "Ezoto" I know neither Barry Bonds nor Babe Ruth.
Say sth related to chess.
For me your attitude towards Pono is simply hostile so I treat you like his
personal enemy.
It`s clearly seen even from your statement above...

Regards,

Jerzy