Visiting NYC

Old July 14th 03, 11:31 PM
Paul Henney

Default Visiting NYC

Greetings,

I'm visiting NYC in August (from UK) for a short break (I've been told I'll
fry!) and am looking for a recommendation for a good chess shop (books, sets
etc etc) in the city.
Am staying in west midtown. Also anywhere I can just drop in for a game?

Cheers

pj

Old July 15th 03, 12:00 AM
Dan Yobry

You won't fry up there. Come down here to Texas and then you'll know what
frying feels like. 104 degrees(F) with the humidty. Try Houston in August
and you might consider suicide.

What's the weather in the UK like this time of year?

-Dan

Old July 15th 03, 05:05 AM
Marc Widmaier

"Paul Henney" wrote in message ...
Greetings,

I'm visiting NYC in August (from UK) for a short break (I've been told I'll
fry!) and am looking for a recommendation for a good chess shop (books, sets
etc etc) in the city.
Am staying in west midtown. Also anywhere I can just drop in for a game?

Cheers

pj

Greetings:

Try the Marshall Chess Club (http://www.marshallchessclub.org), on 23
West 10th Street (between 5th & 6th ave). If you're over 2200 FIDE,
you may want to see if you can play in the New York Masters tournament
- it takes place Tuesday nites. They have other tournaments, but
you'll have to join the USCF to play in them, which will cost you an
additional 50 dollars.

There's also the Chess Forum (http://www.chessforum.com/new/) and the
Village Chess Shop (http://www.chess-shop.com/), both located on the
same street. Both have books, sets, and clocks for sale. You can
also play, but both places will charge apx $2 to $4 per hour/half
hour. Sorry, I'm sketchy on those details.

And it can get very hot in NYC in August. Not Texas hot, but
temperatures can vary between 85F and 100F (30C to 38C? my celsius
conversion is way off).

Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip to NYC.
Old July 16th 03, 07:21 AM
Fjx1

Go down to Thompson street in Greenwich Village near New York University. There
are 2 chess shops there and the entire area is very interesting. The Marshall
Chess club is near by on 10th street.
Old July 16th 03, 09:09 AM
Jerzy

"Dan Yobry" wrote in message
You won't fry up there. Come down here to Texas and then you'll know what
frying feels like. 104 degrees(F) with the humidty. Try Houston in August
and you might consider suicide.

What's the weather in the UK like this time of year?

Check it out on www.weather.com

E.g today London :
UV Index: 1 Minimal
Dew Point: 59F
Humidity: 68%
Visibility: Unlimited
Pressu 29.68 inches and steady
Wind: Variable at 3 mph

But I bet it`ll be typical English weather when you come there i.e. fog and
rain all day ;-)
Good for playing chess ;-)

Regards,

Jerzy