Sick of players who INSIST on playing *BOOK* openings

Old July 16th 03, 12:19 AM
Scott

Default Sick of players who INSIST on playing *BOOK* openings

I have found a lot of players (at least online) - only play book
openings from memory - and when things deviate drastically from what
they are used to (especially in a 5-min game) - they can be easily
defeated. As a test I have gone on to various chess playing sites and
opened my game with 1. e4 * 2. ke2 * 3. ke3 * etc. and won the games
90% of the time. After my silly moves they tend to overextend and I
then play in a more traditional and aggressive fashion.

-Scott
Old July 16th 03, 07:30 AM
MinnesotaKid

I agree. So many players spend an incredible amount of time drilling
openings into their head. But then when the game gets out of book and
they actually have to start thinking, they often crumble. While a
general knowledge of opening theory is invaluable, originality and
creativity can sometimes suffer when playing by rote. That's why
computers will never totally conquer humans players. It's the
capabilty of humans to think "outside the box" that gives us the edge.
But then, I'm a fan of the artistry of chess, not as much the
scientific and mathematical aspect of the game.

I hate speed chess, blitz, lightning or whatever they call it. It's
akin to doing a paint-by-number as opposed to the Sistine Chapel.

Old July 16th 03, 02:12 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

You memorise the openings, then you become familiar with them (beyond rote
memorisation), then you grow capable of handling deviations "out of book"
because your foundation and general positional familiarity is so strong. If
you try that stuff with someone truly familiar with the opening being played
(built on the foundation of initially beginning with memorising the
opening), you will get inferior or losing positions.

m...

Old July 16th 03, 07:52 PM
Dan Yobry

1) Don't computers already conquer at chess??? They can beat almost anyone
except the best of the best... however, those days are few. I know I get my
ass handed to me by my lowly Palm Pilot Chess Tiger program.

2) I hate blitz, too. I've tried to like it, but I just can't. I don't get
excited about a bltiz game like I do an OTB one. When you make a serious
blunder in blitz, the thought is basically "well ****." When you blunder
OTB, it gets in your head and eats at you for a couple of days. You feel
like a dumb-ass and it affects the next few games. It's great!

-Dan

Old July 17th 03, 01:14 AM
eleaticus

"Joshua B. Lilly" wrote in message
You memorise the openings, then you become familiar with them (beyond rote
memorisation), then you grow capable of handling deviations "out of book"
because your foundation and general positional familiarity is so strong.

If
you try that stuff with someone truly familiar with the opening being

played
(built on the foundation of initially beginning with memorising the
opening), you will get inferior or losing positions.

Just what is the ECO or other name of 1. e4, 2. ke2, 3. ke3 with which
there is someone truly familiar with the opening?

Old July 17th 03, 05:07 AM
Scott

White: Scott
Black: 1800-player

1. e4 c5
2. Ke2 d5
3. Ke3 dxe4
4. f3 Qd4+
5. Ke2 Nf6
6. d3 b6
7. Be3 Qxb2
8. Nd2 exd3+
9. cxd3 Nd5
10. Qc1 Qxc1
11. Rxc1 Nc6
12. Nc4 Nxe3
13. Kxe3 g6
14. Kf2 Bg7
15. Be2 Bd4+
16. Ke1 0-0
17. Kf1 Bf5
18. a4 Bxg1
19. Rxg1 Nd4
20. Re1 Nxe2
21. Rxe2 Rad8
22. Nb2 Rfe8
23. Re3 h5
24. Ke2 f6
25. g4 Bc8
26. gxh5 Bf5
27. hx6g Kg7
28. f4 e5
29. fxe5 Rxe5
30. Rxe5 fxe5
31. Rg5 Kf6
32. h4 Kg7
33. Rxf5 Kh6
34. h5 Rd5
35. Nc4 Rd8
36. Nxe5 Re8
37. Kf3 Re7
38. Kf4 Rg7
39. Ng4#

I would say if you are playing e4 then Ke2 and Ke3 and still winning, then
your opponents aren't strong enough.

You should find stronger opponents, then try that opening and see what
happens..

m...

Old July 17th 03, 06:56 AM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

I went ahead and input (played) this list move-by-move into Chessmaster
5500, then ran an Auto-annotate move list with 10 seconds analysis per move
(because this is a rather quick game, so I didn't see much of a need to
deep-analyze it).

Here's what Chessmaster 5500 has so say about this game...

"Scott" wrote in message
m...
White: Scott
Black: 1800-player

Annotations by Chessmaster 5500 Auto-Annotator. 10 seconds per move.

White Black
Book Move 1 1
Leave Book 1 0
CM5500 Agrees 33 28
CM5500 Disagrees 5 9
Agreement Pct. 87% 76%
Total Error 5.86 14.69
Missed Mate 0 0
Moved Into Mate 0 1

1. e4 c5

(e4)
King's Pawn Opening. The King's Pawn opening move is both popular and
logical. It controls the center, opens lines for both the Queen and the
Bishop, and usually leads to an open game in which tactics, rather than slow
maneuvering, predominates.

(c5)
Sicilian Defense. The Sicilian Defense has an ancient lineage. It creates an
unbalanced position in which both sides have full rein for play, and allows
Black to call the shots at least to some extent.

2. Ke2 d5

(Ke2)
Out of Opening Book. Slightly better is Nf3.

(d5)
Attacks White's pawn at e4.

3. Ke3 dxe4

(Ke3)
Slightly better is exd5.

(dxe4)
Black wins a pawn. Black is ahead by a pawn in material.

4. f3 Qd4+

(Qd4+)
Pins White's pawn at b2, protects Black's pawn at e4, and checks White's
king.

5. Ke2 Nf6

(Ke2)
Moves it out of check.

6. d3 b6

(d3)
Slightly better is Ke1.

(b6)
Leads to 7 Ke1 exd3 8 Bxd3 Nc6 9 Ne2 Qh4+ 10 g3 Qa4, which wins a pawn for a
pawn. Better is Ng4, leading to 7 Qe1 exd3+ 8 cxd3 Nxh2 9 Nc3 Nxf1 10 Kxf1
Qxd3+ 11 Nge2, which wins a bishop and three pawns for a knight and a pawn.

7. Be3 Qxb2

(Be3)
Hangs the pawn at b2. Leads to 7 ... Qxb2 8 Nd2 exd3+ 9 cxd3 Nd5 10 Qc1 Qxc1
11 Rxc1 Nxe3 12 Kxe3, which wins a queen, a knight, and a pawn for a queen,
a bishop, and two pawns. Better is Ke1, leading to 7 ... exd3 8 Bxd3 Nc6 9
Ne2 Qh4+ 10 g3 Qa4, which wins a pawn for a pawn.

(Qxb2)
Pins White's pawn at c2, threatens White's rook at al, and isolates White's
pawn at a2.

8. Nd2 exd3+

(Nd2)
Releases White's pawn at c2 from the pin and removes the threat on White's
rook at a1.

(exd3+)
Checks White's king and isolates White's pawn at c2.

9. cxd3 Nd5

(cxd3)
Removes the threat on White's king. Black wins two pawns for a pawn. Black
is up two pawns in material.

10. Qc1 Qxc1

(Qc1)
Attacks Black's queen.

(Qxc1)
Attacks White's rook at a1.

11. Rxc1 Nc6

(Rxc1)
White wins a queen for a queen. Black is up two pawns in material.

12. Nc4 Nxe3

(Nc4)
Blocks Black's pawn at c5.

13. Kxe3 g6

(Kxe3)
White wins a knight for a bishop.

14. Kf2 Bg7

(Bg7)
Makes way for a castle to the kingside.

15. Be2 Bd4+

(Bd4+)
Checks White's king and blocks White's pawn at d3.

16. Ke1 0-0

(Ke1)
Moves it out of check.

17. Kf1 Bf5
18. a4 Bxg1

(Bxg1)
Slightly better is Nb4.

19. Rxg1 Nd4

(Rxg1)
White wins a bishop for a knight. Black is ahead by two pawns in material.

(Nd4)
Blocks White's pawn at d3.

20. Re1 Nxe2

(Nxe2)
Forks White's pawn at d3 and White's rook at g1.

21. Rxe2 Rad8

(Rxe2)
Leads to 21 ... Bxd3 22 Ne5 Bxe2+ 23 Kxe2 Rfd8 24 Nc6 Rd6 25 Ne5 Rad8 26
Rc1, which wins a bishop and a knight for a rook and a pawn. Better is Kxe2,
leading to 21 ... Rad8 22 Nb2 e5 23 a5 bxa5 24 Rc1 Rb8, which wins a knight
for a pawn.

(Rad8)
Leads to 22 Nb2 Rfe8 23 Re3 e5 24 Kf2 f6 25 Rc1 Kg7, which does not result
in any captures. Better is Bxd3, leading to 22 Ne5 Bxe2+ 23 Kxe2 Rfd8 24 Nc6
Rd6 25 Ne5 Rad8 26 Rc1, which wins a rook and a pawn for a bishop.

22. Nb2 Rfe8

(Nb2)
Removes the threat on White's pawn at d3.

(Rfe8)
Protects Black's pawn at e7.

23. Re3 h5
24. Ke2 f6
25. g4 Bc8

(g4)
Attacks Black's bishop.

(Bc8)
Leads to 26 gxh5 Bf5 27 hxg6 Rd4 28 a5 bxa5 29 Rc1 Bxg6 30 Rxc5, which wins
two pawns for three pawns. Better is hxg4, leading to 26 fxg4 Bd7 27 h4 e5
28 h5 Kg7 29 hxg6 Kxg6 30 Re4, which wins two pawns for two pawns.

26. gxh5 Bf5

(gxh5)
Partially pins Black's pawn at g6 and attacks Black's pawn at g6 with two
pieces.

(Bf5)
Protects Black's pawn at g6.

27. hx6g Kg7

(hxg6)
Creates passed pawns on g6 and h2. White wins two pawns. Material is even.

(Kg7)
Blocks White's pawn at g6.

28. f4 e5

(e5)
Threatens White's pawn at f4.

29. fxe5 Rxe5

(fxe5)
Isolates Black's pawn at f6.

(Rxe5)
Partially pins White's rook at e3, creates a passed pawn on f6, and isolates
White's pawn at d3.

30. Rxe5 fxe5

(Rxe5)
Attacks Black's bishop.

(fxe5)
Removes the threat on Black's bishop. Black wins a rook and a pawn for a
rook and a pawn. Material is even.

31. Rg5 Kf6

(Rg5)
Attacks Black's bishop.

(Kf6)
Removes the threat on Black's bishop and attacks White's rook.

32. h4 Kg7

(h4)
Protects White's rook.

(Kg7)
Danger! Hangs the bishop. Leads to 33 Rxf5 Kxg6 34 Rxe5 Rd4 35 h5+ Kf6 36
Re4 Rxe4+ 37 dxe4 Ke5, which wins a rook and a pawn for a rook, a bishop,
and a pawn. Much better is Bxg6, leading to 33 Rg2 Rd4 34 Rh2 e4 35 dxe4
Bxe4, which wins two pawns for a pawn.

33. Rxf5 Kh6

(Rxf5)
Attacks Black's pawn at e5. White wins a bishop. White is ahead by a knight
in material.

(Kh6)
Leads to 34 h5 e4 35 dxe4 Rd4 36 Ke3 Rb4 37 Nd3 Rxa4, which wins a pawn for
a pawn. Better is Kxg6, leading to 34 Rxe5 Rd4 35 Re4 Rxe4+ 36 dxe4 Kh5 37
Nc4 Kxh4, which wins a rook and two pawns for a rook and a pawn.

34. h5 Rd5

(h5)
Protects White's pawn at g6.

(Rd5)
Slightly better is Rd4.

35. Nc4 Rd8

(Nc4)
Blocks Black's pawn at c5.

(Rd8)
Slightly better is Rd4.

36. Nxe5 Re8

(Nxe5)
White wins a pawn. White is up a knight and a pawn.

(Re8)
Pins White's knight.

37. Kf3 Re7

(Kf3)
Frees White's knight from the pin.

38. Kf4 Rg7

(Rg7)
Black gives White a forced mate opportunity. Much better is Rxe5. Rg7 leads
to 39 Ng4# and checkmate.

39. Ng4#

(Ng4)
Checkmates Black's king.

I would say if you are playing e4 then Ke2 and Ke3 and still winning,

then
your opponents aren't strong enough.

You should find stronger opponents, then try that opening and see what
happens..

m...

Old July 17th 03, 11:28 AM
Wlodzimierz Holsztynski

(Scott) wrote in message om...
I have found a lot of players (at least online) - only play book
openings from memory - and when things deviate drastically from what
they are used to (especially in a 5-min game) - they can be easily
defeated. As a test I have gone on to various chess playing sites and
opened my game with 1. e4 * 2. ke2 * 3. ke3 * etc. and won the games
90% of the time. After my silly moves they tend to overextend and I
then play in a more traditional and aggressive fashion.

-Scott

It's refreshing to play something irregular.
In the following 5m ICC game I didn't play
too well but well enough to win on this
occasion. My opponent was got lost, possibly
nervous, in a position which didn't look
familiar, which was different.

I am actually perfectly happy to play the main
lines. I just don't know them :-)

Regards,

Wlod

Rated 5-minute match, initial time: 5 minutes,
increment: 0 seconds

1. d4 (0:02) Nf6 (0:03)
2. Nf3 (0:01) b6 (0:07)
3. Bf4 (0:02) Bb7 (0:02)