Should I play against Garry Kasparov?

Old July 16th 03, 04:53 PM
Theodor Seiz

Default Should I play against Garry Kasparov?

I would rather find a stronger player to fill your spot. While he will
loose as well, the game will be better and more interesting. I think
to truly get the benefits of playing against a super gm, a level of
2300-2400 elo is ideal. Beyond that you can as well play a weaker
opponent because you will loose by a blunder anyway (maybe a
positional one if you concentrate).
Old July 16th 03, 09:18 PM
CeeBee

Ignoramus28006 wrote

This post is NOT a joke and is NOT a troll. I am deadly serious.

Our vendor is organizing a chess play eveng type thing, where Garry
Kasparov will play against 20 players. Of course I got myself and my
wife invited. It is possible, perhaps, that not all 20 player slots
will be filled. I am considering that in such instance, perhaps I
should volunteer to play against Kasparov.

The reason is purely to brag to my Russian friends and such (I am a
Russian myself). My chess skills are minimal, that is, I know how to
play but have not played in a while and play generally badly.

And I figure, even if I was a grandmaster, Kasparov would win anyway.

Any thoughts? Would it be too embarrassing?

Do you want to play a game of chess against a super-GM?
If so, grab the chance.

--
CeeBee

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2
Old July 16th 03, 10:08 PM
Anders Carlsson

Ignoramus28006 writes:

I think, frankly, that I will not get any more fun o of playing
with Kasparov than out of playing with some second rate chess
player, as far as the fun of the chess moves is concerned.

Is one allowed to speak to your opponent during that kind of games?
I mean, maybe it can be valuable to meet Kasparov for other reasons
than only have played a game of chess against him.

OTOH, I haven't followed his person closely and don't know if he is
an inbound and grumpy fellow to get in contact with or not.

--
Anders Carlsson
Old July 16th 03, 10:21 PM
Rrb828

If you can, why not! Sounds like fun to me, but I like the game,...If the spot
is open, why not take it,...you can have your buddies or the photographer snap
a couple of shots of you and Garry at the board,... Maybe grab an autograph and
have it framed with the picture,...sounds like a great momento to have on the
wall.

However, if I were 'not' a chessplayer, such as you, and really had no interest
in the game, I'd only take the slot if there wasn't the possiblity of finding a
real player who would get 'far' more out of an experience like this than
me,...it doesn't mean all that much to me to begin with, so let them have their
moment,...just my two-cents

Ryan
Old July 16th 03, 10:31 PM
Ignoramus28006

In article , Rrb828 wrote:
If you can, why not! Sounds like fun to me, but I like the game,...If the spot
is open, why not take it,...you can have your buddies or the photographer snap
a couple of shots of you and Garry at the board,... Maybe grab an autograph and
have it framed with the picture,...sounds like a great momento to have on the
wall.

However, if I were 'not' a chessplayer, such as you, and really had no interest
in the game, I'd only take the slot if there wasn't the possiblity of finding a
real player who would get 'far' more out of an experience like this than
me,...it doesn't mean all that much to me to begin with, so let them have their
moment,...just my two-cents

Ryan

You pretty much summed up what I feel at the moment. If there are
empty slots and I am not competing with better players, then I will
take it and ask my wife to take pix etc etc etc. If there are better
players, I will just enjoy the party. It is in the building next to my
work.

Old July 17th 03, 02:40 AM
Jay McKeen

The year is 2046, and your grandson visits you and tells you he joined the
middle school chess team.
"Do you play chess, grandpa?" he asks.
"Do I play chess? I remember the time I played Kasparov, the World Champion
from 1986 to 2015...let me see, where is that scoresheet? here it is ...
sit down, let me show you the game."

PLAY HIM!!!

"Ignoramus28006" wrote in message
a.com...

Old July 17th 03, 02:30 PM
Mark Houlsby

"Jay McKeen" wrote in message ...
The year is 2046, and your grandson visits you and tells you he joined the
middle school chess team.
"Do you play chess, grandpa?" he asks.
"Do I play chess? I remember the time I played Kasparov, the World Champion
from 1986 to 2015...

snip

At the risk of seeming overly picky...

If you were to ask Kasparov, he would tell you that Vladimir Kramnik
has been World Champion since defeating him in their "BrainGames"
World Championship match in London, England, in 2000. Also, Kasparov
*became* World Champion in 1985, when he defeated Anatoly Karpov.

Best
Mark
Old July 17th 03, 09:54 PM
Vince Hart

Ignoramus28006 wrote in message ra.com...
This post is NOT a joke and is NOT a troll. I am deadly serious.

Our vendor is organizing a chess play eveng type thing, where Garry
Kasparov will play against 20 players. Of course I got myself and my
wife invited. It is possible, perhaps, that not all 20 player slots
will be filled. I am considering that in such instance, perhaps I
should volunteer to play against Kasparov.

The reason is purely to brag to my Russian friends and such (I am a
Russian myself). My chess skills are minimal, that is, I know how to
play but have not played in a while and play generally badly.

And I figure, even if I was a grandmaster, Kasparov would win anyway.

Any thoughts? Would it be too embarrassing?

In about two hours I will be sitting down to play Kasparov in a twenty
person simul. I am rated 1950 but I do not expect to last all that
long. Personally, I would rather see all the other seats filled by
stronger players in order to slow him down so I will have more time to
think but I would never suggest to anyone that they pass up the
opportunity to participate.

Vince Hart