Who is the biggest jerk GM

Old July 16th 03, 06:45 PM
Rufus

Default Who is the biggest jerk GM

(Scott) wrote in message om...
Quoted from previous usenet posts:

"Speaking of crybabies,

Was anyone present or has heard about the incident with GM Rohde at the New
York State Ch in Saratoga Springs NY in September 1996?

He was visually agitated at his expert level opponent who did not resign at the
first sign of losing the game. Others could tell something was wrong so a
small crowd began to hover. 6-7 moves later when the expert finally hung a
knight he resigned.

He tipped his king and raised his hand to GM Rohde who defiantly refused and
began to lecture him on the proper respect accorded GM's and his right to sleep
instead of playing the additional 20 minutes it took to convince the expert to
resign.

Maybe it was GM Rohde's lackluster tournament ( only 5-6 IM's and GM's and he
was on board 7 or 8) to that point or an earlier breech of etiquette but to
those watching this display, it left a very sour taste in our mouths. After
seeing how we mere mortals are treated even after a crushing defeat, who would
want to spend a dime to watch these guys?

I've met other GM's and most have been very cordial but that single display and
others I have only heard about always stick in my head when issues of money,
sponsorship, respect, spectator interest (or lack thereof) are brought up.

If we are lucky, maybe GM Rohde himself can explain his actions and set the
record straight."

"Biggest jerks among world class chess players:

Rohde--one of those disreputable New York GMs who has cheated people with
various get-rich-quick internet schemes. He certainly doesn't have the
ability to earn many $$ through actual tournament play. His promise is worth
less than nothing. His Chess Life column sucks..."

It looks like nobody but the original poster of this story was present
or had heard about it since nobody commented on it. Why don't you
just tell us what your grudge against GM Rohde is instead of digging
up six year old crap like this?
Old July 16th 03, 11:28 PM
Scott

well I did happen to assist with the harvard cup "man versus machine"
match back in the mid-90's . . . michael did quite well against the
ancient laughable technology of the time - but certainly disappointed
me when he declined to play once our hardware and software had
drastically improved. I believe it is just after he realized that
computers would be able to defeat him that he started his decline in
play (against humans) and developed a more negative attitude in
general.

-Scott