New Novice Nook posted: A Fistful of Lessons

Old July 17th 03, 06:31 AM
Dan Heisman

Default New Novice Nook posted: A Fistful of Lessons

Hi!

Tonight the new Novice Nook, "A Fistful of Lessons" was posted. Hope you enjoy! If you have any comments or
questions for me, please do not post here as I might not see it. For a reply, please e-mail me at
. Thanks!

Also thanks for the many e-mails on last month's NN, Learning from Dr. de Groot! If you missed any back
NN's, they are all linked at
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/danhei...Nook_Links.htm

Also, next Monday on my 7-9PM radio show on www.chess.fm the popular game show, "Who Wants to Be A Chess
Millionaire?" returns!

Finally, the name for my 7th chess book is finalized. The book, about threats, will be called "Looking for
Trouble". There are 220+ problems where you have to not only identify the threat(s), but also the best way
to meet them. Look for it from your local chess book seller hopefully by the end of the summer.

Regards,
Dan H
Old July 17th 03, 01:13 PM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl

Dan Heisman wrote:

Hello Dan,

another fine article. Just some nitpicking: In example 3,

(for others to follow:
FEN 7r/1B2p1k1/RBR2pp1/3r4/p7/P2P2P1/4PP1p/7K w - -)

the first move I thought at was 1. Rc8. The Rh8 which guards the
dangerous h2-pawn is inevitably traded. While 1. Rc1 certainly
removes any threats of promoting the h-pawn as well, the task
should be even simpler when Black has fewer pieces. To the
principle "keep it simple" I think a good corollary would be
"make it simpler".

Greetings

Claus-Juergen