Lasker & Lasker ?

Old July 17th 03, 02:21 PM
Vincent Casasnovas

Default Lasker & Lasker ?

Hello
Edward Lasker, 1885-1981, engineer, born German in Poland and emigrated in
USA, this american player and GMI wins 3 times Western Open and many other
tournaments as New York and Chigago, he have challenged Marshall for the US
Championship in 1923 (+4 =9 -5 !!!), international arbiter, he writes many
fine teaching books as "Chess Strategy", revised from time to time and
remaining very interesting
Regards
Vincent

"Yanks Gerber" a écrit dans le message de news:
Edward and Emmanuel?

Surely this is the same person?

I mean, wasn't edward just short name for Emmanuel ?

I don't understand this..

please help
thanks in advance
yanks

Old July 17th 03, 04:39 PM
Jerome Bibuld

Dear M. Casasnovas,

Heil Dubya!

As strong as Edward Lasker was, for as many years as he was a master, he never
earned the title of GMI. He definitely was a MI, of course.

Two little known facts about Edward Lasker a

1 - He played first board for the Marshall Chess Club, in the Metropolitan
Chess League, well into his ninth decade, above an occasional GM. Of course,
this was a position allowed him out of respect for his contributions to the
history of chess, BUT he held his own at first board in the strongest chess
league in the country. (This was serious chess, not skittles. In those days,
we were playing 50/2 and 25/1, with adjournments, in this club league. When
Marshall played Manhattan, an arbiter was required to conduct the match. As a
member of neither club, it was my honor to be the match arbiter twice.)

2 - He lost a penny to me, by betting that NO computer would EVER defeat ANY
human tournament player in a chess game. (This wager was made at the U. S.
Championship OF 1969, before Levy's famous challenge to the world of
computerdom. I don't remember exactly when I won my penny, but it was before
Levy won his first match against a computer. Please don't ask me why neither
of us thought to set a time limit on the wager. After all, neither of us
expected to live forever. Maybe, that's why the stakes were so high.)

Hello
Edward Lasker, 1885-1981, engineer, born German in Poland and emigrated in
USA, this american player and GMI wins 3 times Western Open and many other
tournaments as New York and Chigago, he have challenged Marshall for the US
Championship in 1923 (+4 =9 -5 !!!), international arbiter, he writes many
fine teaching books as "Chess Strategy", revised from time to time and
remaining very interesting
Regards
Vincent

"Yanks Gerber" a écrit dans le message de news:
Edward and Emmanuel?

Surely this is the same person?

I mean, wasn't edward just short name for Emmanuel ?

I don't understand this..

please help
thanks in advance
yanks

Heute Uhmuhrikkka, Afghanistan und Irak. Morgen die ganze Welt!

Uhmuhrikkka, Uhmuhrikkka uber Alles!

Fraternally,

Jerome Bibuld
gens una sumus