Who is the biggest jerk GM

Old July 17th 03, 06:16 PM
King Leopold

Default Who is the biggest jerk GM

GM Michael Rohde came to play the Orlando open several years back. Two days
before the tournament, we got him to come to our club in Melbourne, Fl to
give a lecture and a simul which he was paid handsomely for.
He set up the rules for the simul (20 players) stating that each player may
have two (2) passes when he got to their board.
About half way through the games, he gets mad and with a whiny cry-baby
attitued and voice, shouts, "You people are killing me with these passes.
Stop it!"
It just ruined my game, (my very first simul), for me.
After that, I've had no respect for him and rellish every time I read that
he lost a game or a tournament.
Leopold

"Scott" wrote in message
m...
Quoted from previous usenet posts:

"Speaking of crybabies,

Was anyone present or has heard about the incident with GM Rohde at the

New
York State Ch in Saratoga Springs NY in September 1996?

He was visually agitated at his expert level opponent who did not resign

at the
first sign of losing the game. Others could tell something was wrong so a
small crowd began to hover. 6-7 moves later when the expert finally hung

knight he resigned.

He tipped his king and raised his hand to GM Rohde who defiantly refused

and
began to lecture him on the proper respect accorded GM's and his right to

sleep
instead of playing the additional 20 minutes it took to convince the

expert to
resign.

Maybe it was GM Rohde's lackluster tournament ( only 5-6 IM's and GM's and

he
was on board 7 or 8) to that point or an earlier breech of etiquette but

those watching this display, it left a very sour taste in our mouths.

After
seeing how we mere mortals are treated even after a crushing defeat, who

would
want to spend a dime to watch these guys?

I've met other GM's and most have been very cordial but that single

display and
others I have only heard about always stick in my head when issues of

money,
sponsorship, respect, spectator interest (or lack thereof) are brought

up.

If we are lucky, maybe GM Rohde himself can explain his actions and set

the
record straight."

"Biggest jerks among world class chess players:

Rohde--one of those disreputable New York GMs who has cheated people with
various get-rich-quick internet schemes. He certainly doesn't have the
ability to earn many $$ through actual tournament play. His promise is

worth
less than nothing. His Chess Life column sucks..."

Old July 24th 03, 05:10 PM
Dr. Robert Faurisson

Do you even have a chess tournament rating Joe? You sound like a guy that
knows nothing about the game, and certainly nothing about the game at the
Grandmaster level. A chess Grandmaster is a strange animal. They are pretty
much without exception moody and socially "difficult" people. Their
specialty is not pr; and why should it be?

"joe mccarron" wrote in message
om...
It seems allot of GMs lose fans at the these simuls. Its too bad
becasue they shoudl be put on to gain fans not lose them. It would
seem to me that if you are not comfortable playing in a simul you
should just not do it. One of my favorite Chess players was
Koltanowski. I know he performed many simuls and many blindfold
simuls. Would he ever act as described below? Just curious if anyone
knows.

Old July 24th 03, 06:30 PM
Dr. Robert Faurisson

You have to admit "Looney" that top level chessplayers are seriously
underpaid compared to other "more spectator friendly" sports such as hockey,
basketball, etc. do you not?

"Looney" wrote in message
.com...

"Dr. Robert Faurisson" wrote in
message . ca...
Do you even have a chess tournament rating Joe? You sound like a guy

that
knows nothing about the game, and certainly nothing about the game at

the
Grandmaster level. A chess Grandmaster is a strange animal. They are

pretty
much without exception moody and socially "difficult" people. Their
specialty is not pr; and why should it be?

Because they bitch about the sad financial state of the top chessplayers

in
the country, yet do nothing (and I don't mean *every* GM, so let's stop

that
nonsense right here) to make chess more attractive to those who might pour
more money in.

You can't have it both ways.

--
Looney
http://www.patzersprogress.com

Old July 25th 03, 02:32 AM
joe mccarron

Why don't you run out and give them your money? Certainly, a witty
guy like you makes big bucks. Please correct this underpayment.

Old July 25th 03, 05:57 AM
Dr. Robert Faurisson

"joe mccarron" wrote in message
om...
Why don't you run out and give them your money? Certainly, a witty
guy like you makes big bucks. Please correct this underpayment.

Do you ever get tired of asking people whether or not they would like fries
with their order mccarron?
"Dr. Robert Faurisson" wrote in

message .ca...
You have to admit "Looney" that top level chessplayers are seriously
underpaid compared to other "more spectator friendly" sports such as

hockey,
basketball, etc. do you not?

"Looney" wrote in message
.com...

"Dr. Robert Faurisson"

wrote in
message . ca...
[...]

From what I hear, Korchnoi was a "Jerk GM" as well. He once asked a local
Canadian master "what are you doing here" at a tournament in Europe

Old July 27th 03, 03:55 PM
Vladimir Swordless

Short - he lost his childhood to chess, got rich quick with his one
and only chance to play Kasparov, then lost his Northern (English)
identity with his moneyed, London friends (Dominic Lawson etc), then
lost his English roots completely as his wife took him off to her
homeland, Greece. What he wrote in his Miles obituary took some
believing, even for this Englishman.

Speelman - he is no jerk. A very careing man indeed who has coped with
the threat of blindness (high blood pressure behind the eyes) with a
deep understanding of the game, not even glimpsed by 99% of
competitive players. As such he could be likened to Petrosian. He has
no particular desire to be 'funny' like Hartston or tell anecdotes
like Barden. If you find his lectures too dense, that is because he
doesn't water his delivery down. His words are professorial.

Keene - so much has been written about this gentleman. I know a few
who know him well and like him enormously. He is certainly unique.

Tal - very ill with so many addictions towards the end of his life.

Other nominees(?) - not sure. I am no fan of any top player who
ignores his national team on Olympiad years or national championships.

Most non-players misunderstand the chess world, I find!

James Pratt (Basingstoke, England)
Old July 29th 03, 07:10 AM
Dr. Robert Faurisson

"Vladimir Swordless" wrote in message
om...
Short - he lost his childhood to chess, got rich quick with his one
and only chance to play Kasparov, then lost his Northern (English)
identity with his moneyed, London friends (Dominic Lawson etc), then
lost his English roots completely as his wife took him off to her
homeland, Greece. What he wrote in his Miles obituary took some
believing, even for this Englishman.

Speelman - he is no jerk.

I have to admit that I have never heard anything bad said about Speelman as
a person.

A very careing man indeed who has coped with
the threat of blindness (high blood pressure behind the eyes) with a
deep understanding of the game, not even glimpsed by 99% of
competitive players. As such he could be likened to Petrosian. He has
no particular desire to be 'funny' like Hartston or tell anecdotes
like Barden. If you find his lectures too dense, that is because he
doesn't water his delivery down. His words are professorial.

Keene - so much has been written about this gentleman. I know a few
who know him well and like him enormously. He is certainly unique.

Tal - very ill with so many addictions towards the end of his life.

Yeah, but Tal had Character!!

Other nominees(?) - not sure. I am no fan of any top player who
ignores his national team on Olympiad years or national championships.

Most non-players misunderstand the chess world, I find!

The non-players (including mentally deficient amatuers like mark houlsby and
matt nemmers) feel that a great chess player is obliged to be a great
statesman as well.
This is a ridiculous demand as those that have excelled at the game to that
degree have almost certainlly done so at the price of a normal balanced
life.

James Pratt (Basingstoke, England)

Old August 12th 03, 10:06 PM
Boyd M Reed

"Dr. Robert Faurisson" wrote in message .ca...
Do you even have a chess tournament rating Joe? You sound like a guy that
knows nothing about the game, and certainly nothing about the game at the
Grandmaster level. A chess Grandmaster is a strange animal. They are pretty
much without exception moody and socially "difficult" people. Their
specialty is not pr; and why should it be?

Grandmasters are not required to specialize in public relations.
However, one does not have to be a PR professional to have a modicum
of courtesy and grace. I have heard many a GM and IM complain about
the relative lack of prizes and funding available to them. (You
should hear the grumbling at CCA events when some 1500 takes home more
money than the winner(s) of the Open section. Of course, the "dead
money" paid in by the large class sections (read: lotteries) helps pay
the Open prizes, but I digress.)

Chess doesn't have the corporate funding of other sports. Therefore,
as Andre Agassi might say, image is everything. And, as top-level
players, they should certainly always work to improve the image of the
game. This is not only good behavior, but also financially advisable
for them.

If I go buy a book by GM X or video by IM Y, I'm buying it primarily
for the chess knowledge. However, I'm also buying it because I like
them (for whatever reason). If I pay (money, chekels, whatever) for
lessons from a GM, that player has to be someone with whom I feel
comfortable.

Two good not-so-distant examples: I've met Christiansen and Kaidanov.
They were both very genial and more than willing to talk - and not
just about chess. So, when it came time to recommend a tactics book
for a couple of chess classes, "Storming the Barricades" leaped to
mind. Yes, it has great reviews, and I think it is very good.
However, my positive impression from Christiansen sure didn't hurt.
And, when I was left high and dry without a GM exhibitor for a
tournament a few years back, my first and only call was to Kaidanov,
who was a big hit (as I knew he'd be from meeting him before).

Does a grandmaster owe me anything? Obviously not. But, if that
grandmaster wants my money to go into chess (or, perhaps more
accurately, his own pocket), he'd sure better make me want to spend
it. And it would certainly sour me on the game if I were to have or
witness an experience such as the original poster chronicled.

-bmr-

* Boyd M. Reed * *