re Where are the British gm's.

Old July 19th 03, 09:33 AM
Terry

Default re Where are the British gm's.

Hi

Where are the British gm's in this years British Championships
held in Edinburgh.

Is there some sort of boycott going on after last years win
by an Indian player ?.

How is it that all these foreign players qualify for these
championships?. There is even somebody from Cyprus this year.

I realise that it may be politically incorrect even to ask these
questions.

The British players are not allowed to
play in the Indian national championships.

Regards

Terry

Old July 21st 03, 10:12 PM
Chapman billy

In article ,
says...
Chapman billy typed:
In article [email protected]
gui.server.ntli.net,
says...
I think it's a great pity because the British Champs would be a really
strong and exciting tournament if our top players participated, but I
suppose it's down to lack of sponsorship.

Come to think of it, this would also be true of an English Championship

About a decade ago the London Times offered to sponsor
the championship, a condition was that it be held in
London. The BCF refused point blank to accede to this
perfectly reasonable demand. Why would any sponsor bother
if this is the sort of attitude displayed.

Perfectly reasonable? What!!!

Thank you for illustrating the kind of mentality that
puts sponsors off. You appear to be of the opinion that
holding anything in London is an unreasonable demand from
a sponsor, and that it is better to have no sponsor at
all. Moreover, and I feel sure you will agree with me,
you can't see that such a view is completely crackers.

What's so special about London?

Your bias is evident. Would you care to state when the
championship was last held in London? Indeed, would you
care to state how often it has been held in London over
the past thirty years say (clue: if you know the answer
to the former, you know the answer to the latter)?

London already
has far more than its fair share of events (I'm not thinking about Chess
specifically).

I am discussing chess specifically, furthermore,
describing a run of the mill chess tournament or congress
as an event seems a bit OTT to me. Are you seriously
maintaining that London stages a disproportionate number
of chess tournaments?

Do you know the populations of London, of the Home
Counties, and of England? Here is a partial list from the
2001 census:

London over 7 million according to the 2001 census, I
have seen estimates of closer to 8 million;

North East 2? million;

North West 6.7 million;

South East just over 8 million (this wrongly excludes
Essex and Hertfordshire);

South West just under 5 million;

East Midlands just over 4 million;

West Midlands just over 5 million;

East of England 5.4 million (this wrongly includes Herts.
and Essex);

Yorkshire and Humberside below 5 million.

Adding London, the South East, and the East together, it
is easy to arrive at a figure of over twenty million. A
figure that is almost certainly significantly too low as
evidenced by the recent challenge from Westminster City
Council.

Here is a link to the BCF's tournament calendar
http://www.bcf.org.uk/calendar/index.html , from it you
should be able to see that the number of London based
competitions is proportionately not that great.
Furthermore, none of them are all that prestigious.

Regards,

Simon.
Old August 13th 03, 11:42 PM
Jack Rudd

Chapman billy wrote in message I would have thought that staying in Edinburgh in Summer is very
expensive too, and transport costs would be higher for most people.
IMHO Edinburgh was a very poor choice of venue there must be lots of
seaside or University towns where there is plentiful cheap places to
stay in summer.

It is expensive to stay there too, yes. But probably marginally cheaper than London.

Still, they beat the record entry, god knows how. :-)

Jack Rudd
Old August 14th 03, 12:03 AM
Arfur Million

"oxtut" wrote in message
om...
(Jack Rudd) wrote in message

. com...
Chapman billy wrote in message

m...
In article [email protected]
gui.server.ntli.net,
says...
I think it's a great pity because the British Champs would be a

really
strong and exciting tournament if our top players participated, but

suppose it's down to lack of sponsorship.

Come to think of it, this would also be true of an English

Championship . .
.

Regards,

About a decade ago the London Times offered to sponsor
the championship, a condition was that it be held in
London. The BCF refused point blank to accede to this
perfectly reasonable demand

There are two reasons why the BCF refused this:

1: The BCF likes to move the event around the country, so players from
all around the country get the chance to play in at least one British.

2: Staying for 13 nights in London is very expensive.

Incidentally, it's the "Times", not the "London Times".

Jack Rudd

I would have thought that staying in Edinburgh in Summer is very
expensive too, and transport costs would be higher for most people.
IMHO Edinburgh was a very poor choice of venue there must be lots of
seaside or University towns where there is plentiful cheap places to
stay in summer.

OTOH it could be argued that spreading it around the country evens it up
over the years, and gives everyone a chance to participate some time or
other, and I guess this is the BCF's position.

Supposing (and I would be interested in others' opinions) a sponsor such as
The Times could provide enough money to attract most of the top British GMs
to play, and guaranteed this for, say, ten years. If the sponsorship was
dependent on London (or anywhere else for that matter) being the permanent
location of the Championship, should the BCF accept the condition or
refuse? What if the hypothetical sponsor wanted to change other aspects of
the tournament (eg titled players only, all-play-all or whatever)?

Arfur

PS Given the amount of sponsorship for top chess tournaments in Britain in
recent years this question really is hypothetical :-(

Old August 14th 03, 01:21 AM
Nick

From:
(Jack Rudd)
Date: 12/08/03 00:51 GMT Daylight Time

I think that "London Times" may be intended to distinguish it from "New York
Times", if so then: 'London "Times"' may have been more accurate....

Dear Mr Houlsby,

I doubt that it's necessary to make that particular distinction because people
never refer to "The New York Times" as only "The Times". For an international
audience, however, I prefer to write "'The Times' (London)" since knowing the
newspaper's place of origin may be helpful.

"Thus, if anything can be called 'la mystique anglaise', it is sport.
When the English people say, 'Play up! play up! and play the game!' I seem
to hear the gesture and hear the tones of the Frenchman who is reported to
have cried out, 'La garde meurt, ne se rend pas!' They have even invented
the absurd saying that the battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields
of Eton, totally forgetting the great contribution of their own thinkers to
the science of logic, for they have failed to observe the true sequence of
cause and effect--that winning at Waterloo was not the effect of playing at
Eton, but both were effects in different directions of the same cause, which
remains unobserved.

This illogicality did no harm so long as the English people were capable of
trifling at Eton and fighting elsewhere. But now when the fight (in the
political sense) seems to have gone out of the dogs it is making far too many
people think that Wembley and Lord's are perfectly adequate substitutes for
Blenheim and Waterloo. I do not like this seriousness, and I wish they could
be as pleasant and relaxed in their sport as they are in their pursuit of
culture."

--Nirad Chaudhuri (1959, A Passage to England, pp. 166-7)

--Nick
Old August 15th 03, 09:25 PM
Jack Rudd

michael adams wrote in message ...
Jack Rudd wrote:

There are two reasons why the BCF refused this:

1: The BCF likes to move the event around the country, so players from
all around the country get the chance to play in at least one British.

2: Staying for 13 nights in London is very expensive.

Incidentally, it's the "Times", not the "London Times".

Jack Rudd

Next year, the BCF plan to amend a regulation permitting any
Commonwealth master entrance, they will need to be a Brit. Cit. or
reside there. The 10,000 pound stg. (that's over US$20,000?) first
prize, was taken out by our old friend the Indian GM -Kunte
Harikrishna (2nd) Kotronias the Cypriot (3rd)..

To be strictly accurate, Harikrishna and Kotronias were equal second
with Scotland's Paul Motwani.

Seeing as Kunte, Harikrishna and Kotronias will probably not be
eligible for next year's British, does that mean Motwani will get the
right to play on board one?

Jack Rudd