Adams & Adams..

Old July 19th 03, 12:11 PM
michael adams

Default Adams & Adams..

G'day group,

Often I catch the English GM Michael Adams imitating my style of play,
like when he plays (1) e4 for example. Also, it's whispered he may in
fact be a distant relative..

Comments anyone?

(no trolls pls.)

Old July 19th 03, 01:00 PM
Gunny Bunny

OYO - Michael - r u back into the **** today ?

I thought u were cousins with Jacko ?!

OYO - gotta git meself down-under to the barbee and pick up some Fosters,
nuth'in like a rack of alligator cooked up by a Sheila....it's the
bees-knees!

Old July 19th 03, 07:47 PM
michael adams

Gunny Bunny wrote:

OYO - Michael - r u back into the **** today ?

I thought u were cousins with Jacko ?!

OYO - gotta git meself down-under to the barbee and pick up some Fosters,
nuth'in like a rack of alligator cooked up by a Sheila....it's the
bees-knees!

Did Funny Bunny teach you to speak Oztralian, Gunny Bunny?..

Old July 19th 03, 07:53 PM
Gunny Bunny

Gunny Bunny wrote:

OYO - Michael - r u back into the **** today ?

I thought u were cousins with Jacko ?!

OYO - gotta git meself down-under to the barbee and pick up some

Fosters,
nuth'in like a rack of alligator cooked up by a Sheila....it's the
bees-knees!

Did Funny Bunny teach you to speak Oztralian, Gunny Bunny?..

G'Day Dingo-Daddy,

Lets git down to the well and fill our glasses with the sheep **** and chase
those Sheila's round !

FOSTERS !!!!

Regards,

Sean

Old July 19th 03, 10:47 PM
Mark Houlsby

michael adams wrote in message ...
G'day group,

Often I catch the English GM Michael Adams imitating my style of play,
like when he plays (1) e4 for example. Also, it's whispered he may in
fact be a distant relative..

Comments anyone?

(no trolls pls.)

G'day Mickey,

You most certainly are related to the English GM who shares your name.
You're also related to the fine American composer John Adams, and to
his namesake, the long-deceased US president. You're also related to
everyone else who is called Adams.
Old July 22nd 03, 05:14 AM
Nick

Chapman billy wrote in message m...
In article ,
says...
Often I catch the English GM Michael Adams imitating my style of play,
like when he plays (1) e4 for example. Also, it's whispered he may in
fact be a distant relative..
Comments anyone?

G'day Mick,
I see you are bored; your woeful countenance is in need
of a lift. The following true story was retailed to me by
Cid Hamet the great historian one night a few years back.

Many winters ago in the great city far away from Oz there
was a chess class given by Bob; sadly the entire class
was male and drab. Then a miracle occurred, a female
starting attending; after a few weeks attendance she
starting suggesting to fellow classmates, one at a time,
at the end of every lesson, that they accompany her home
to study more. After a few months only Bob and one of his
pupils, Dick, had not studied further: so Bob turned to
Dick and said; "I'm too old, what's wrong with you?"

Simon,

And, by any chance, was she named 'Dulcinea'? :-)

That anecdote reminds me of one transmitted from the United States.

Reportedly, a desperately lonely American woman wrote to a popular 'agony aunt'
(a personal advice columnist for a newspaper) in order to solicit her opinion
about a contemplated matrimonial gambit. The woman was considering frequenting
chess clubs and feigning an interest in the game (actually, chess) in the hope
that the expected lopsided male-to-female demographic ratio would improve her
prospects of entering a legally binding mating combination. In response, the
'agony aunt' wrote that she expected the habitues of chess clubs to be male
but (not an exact quotation) 'old, probably balding, and extremely slow to make
any decisions'. As for that stereotype and reality, 'vive la difference!'

--Nick
Old July 23rd 03, 03:56 AM
Nick

michael adams wrote in message ...
Nick wrote:
But this thread really seems to be about, if I may say so, 'sweet Fanny
Adams'.

You may! (say so) Nick, weather ok where you are?. I remark, every
telephone directory I've perused is replete with the Adams 'name' -
almost as common as 'Smith'. Mud in your eye, what!..

G'day Mr. Adams,

Surely, Victoria Caroline (aka 'Posh Spice') was proud to be an 'Adams'
before she became a 'Beckham'.

--Nick
Old July 23rd 03, 04:13 AM
Nick

Chapman billy wrote in message m...
In article ,
says...
Often I catch the English GM Michael Adams imitating my style of play,
like when he plays (1) e4 for example. Also, it's whispered he may in
fact be a distant relative..
Comments anyone?

G'day Mick,
I see you are bored; your woeful countenance is in need
of a lift. The following true story was retailed to me by
Cid Hamet the great historian one night a few years back.
(snipped)

Simon,

Was the Lepanto Opening fashionable in Cid Hamet's time?

"The penetrating irony of 'Don Quixote' clearly has its origin on
7 October 1571, when as two young men of the same age, Cervantes and
Don John alike attained in action the high point of their lives.
Action, intention, belief, illusion--for thirty years Cervantes
meditated the profounder significances of that one day, before
distilling them in 'Don Quixote'.

At twelve, a lonely, bookish little prince was given 'Lepanto' as
a theme for a poem. He was the future King James I of England, son
of Mary Queen of Scots....The little boy was kept strictly apart
from his mother, and as a precaution had been handed over by the
Scots nobility to the scholar George Buchanan, so as to have
Calvinism drummed into his head....But Lepanto had been a cause
near to his mother's heart--she had once even expressed her
willingness to marry Don John. Swept away by boyish enthusiasm,
little James produced 11000 lines in ballad metre. But when in
1591 his juvenilia were published, in Edinburgh, the Kirk felt
obliged to add this apologetic note: 'it was far contrary to his
degree and religion, like a mercenary poet, to pen a work in
praise of a foreign Papist *******.'"

--Jack Beeching (The Galleys at Lepanto, p. 226)

By the way, there's a 'Lepanto Opening' in the game of 'Diplomacy'.

--Nick