I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Old July 22nd 03, 02:02 AM
Scott

Default I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Tim hails from the very best location on earth (MA,US) and he runs a
top-notch chess club (second only to the metrowest club) - he is
Harvard educated (you may have heard of it) - and he has relevant job
experience with various organizations (i.e. Scleroderma and MACA) -
and more importantly - as a frequent newsgroup poster and prolific
chess journalist - Tim will keep us informed.

Sam hails from the second best location on earth (NY, US) and would be
a strong voice against the move to TN - and while the chess world no
longer has Bobby Fischer - at least we have someone nearly as
flamboyant - Sam Sloan. Although Sam may be a bit eccentric - I am
convinced that he truly has a passion for chess and that his
experience with finance and litigation would help greatly with the
various troubles of the USCF.

Lastly, a personal note in regards to the survival of the USCF:

I feel the key is keeping scholastic members on as adult members (for
life) - this can be accomplished by promoting chess in the schools -
chess should be given equal importance as English, Math, Science, etc.
Wouldn't it be great if chess puzzles were on the SAT? What is so
important about chess? Chess is the universe encapsulated - it is
representative of the evolution of consciousness and the human
condition and helps to promotes logical thinking and scientific
understanding. In my opinion the USCF survival IS the survival of
chess - one may argue that there are other organizations such as FIDE
and internet chess that help to popularize and promote chess - but
these are fractured groups and not a unifying stable force that will
continue the legacy of chess for future generations. The USCF is the
United States Chess Federation and as such has very strong name
recognition - representing the culture and values of the strongest and
richest nation in the world. What will the future hold for chess and
humanity? My predictions: The Middle-East will become a large
expanse of green glass - Europe will continue to be split by culture
and language - but the United States will prosper - spreading our
culture and values throughout the world. It should be noted that
while chess originated elsewhere in the world - like many other things
- the United States has the unique ability to diffuse this knowledge
and promote learning, understanding, democracy, and peace - we are the
apex of the evolution of social and political organizations and as
such - if chess is to have a future - the United States represented by
the Unites States Chess Federation will have the essential role of
preserving and promoting the greatest creation of humanity - Chess.

Old July 22nd 03, 07:11 AM
Briarroot

Scott wrote:

I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Don't feel too bad. I voted for Hanke and Schultz! ;-)

Tim hails from the very best location on earth (MA,US) and he runs a
top-notch chess club (second only to the metrowest club) - he is
Harvard educated (you may have heard of it) - and he has relevant job
experience with various organizations (i.e. Scleroderma and MACA) -
and more importantly - as a frequent newsgroup poster and prolific
chess journalist - Tim will keep us informed.

What's all that got to do with the price of french fries?

Sam hails from the second best location on earth (NY, US) and would be
a strong voice against the move to TN - and while the chess world no
longer has Bobby Fischer - at least we have someone nearly as
flamboyant - Sam Sloan. Although Sam may be a bit eccentric - I am
convinced that he truly has a passion for chess and that his
experience with finance and litigation would help greatly with the
various troubles of the USCF.

PT Barnum.

Lastly, a personal note in regards to the survival of the USCF:

I feel the key is keeping scholastic members on as adult members (for
life) - this can be accomplished by promoting chess in the schools -
chess should be given equal importance as English, Math, Science, etc.
Wouldn't it be great if chess puzzles were on the SAT? What is so
important about chess? Chess is the universe encapsulated - it is
representative of the evolution of consciousness and the human
condition and helps to promotes logical thinking and scientific
understanding.

Heheh. This is a crock, but I like your attitude!

In my opinion the USCF survival IS the survival of
chess - one may argue that there are other organizations such as FIDE
and internet chess that help to popularize and promote chess - but
these are fractured groups and not a unifying stable force that will
continue the legacy of chess for future generations. The USCF is the
United States Chess Federation and as such has very strong name
recognition - representing the culture and values of the strongest and
richest nation in the world.

Guess what? Lots of people play chess in the USA and have never
heard of the USCF, and will go right on playing without ever
noticing if the USCF stands or falls.

What will the future hold for chess and
humanity? My predictions: The Middle-East will become a large
expanse of green glass - Europe will continue to be split by culture
and language - but the United States will prosper - spreading our
culture and values throughout the world.

Wait! What's that theme song I hear playing in the background?

? It should be noted that
while chess originated elsewhere in the world - like many other things
- the United States has the unique ability to diffuse this knowledge
and promote learning, understanding, democracy, and peace - we are the
apex of the evolution of social and political organizations and as
such

Horse hockey! My cat is the apex of social and political evolution.
He reminds me of that fact every day.

- if chess is to have a future - the United States represented by
the Unites States Chess Federation will have the essential role of
preserving and promoting the greatest creation of humanity - Chess.

Whew! What a load. You must feel 10 pounds lighter!

I'll give you a 6.5 on the Rolf scale. Not a bad score! ;-)
Old July 22nd 03, 08:31 AM
Joshua Houk

(Scott) wrote in
m:

I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Remind me to stay as far away from you as possible.

Joshua Houk
jlhouk#comcast.net
Old July 22nd 03, 06:42 PM
Oreo Knight

Joshua Houk wrote in message ...
(Scott) wrote in
m:

I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Remind me to stay as far away from you as possible.

Joshua Houk
jlhouk#comcast.net

Agreed...let's hope that the disease is not contagious. :-P

O.K.
Old July 22nd 03, 07:08 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

Or you can call Earth "Sol III".
I think I saw that in Star Trek once. Or I made it up. I really can`t
remember.

"NoMoreChess" wrote in message

We've heard of it, but at Harvard they capitalize the word "Earth,"

because
it is the name of a planet (Mars, Venus, Jupiter, etc.).
(No, I didn't pay $100,000 to learn that at Harvard -- I picked it up for

free
in elementary school, which I done graduated, BTW.)

Old July 23rd 03, 12:24 AM
Mhoulsby

From: "Joshua B. Lilly"
Date: 22/07/03 19:08 GMT Daylight Time

Or you can call Earth "Sol III".
I think I saw that in Star Trek once. Or I made it up. I really can`t
remember.

LOL!

TS
Old July 23rd 03, 06:23 AM
Noah Roberts

What will the future hold for chess and
humanity? My predictions: The Middle-East will become a large
expanse of green glass - Europe will continue to be split by culture
and language - but the United States will prosper - spreading our
culture and values throughout the world.

What culture? Culture has died here. All we have is reality television
and the latest "stab your friend in the back for money" game shows where
you win by ****ing you best friend's wife...

What values? The values of the United States went down in flames during
the wake of fear following 9/11. The only thing valued here is money
and the almighty flag - a rag that people are willing to throw away
their rights for...the very rights that rag is supposed to symbolize.

The only things America has to share are greed, avarice, lust, wrath,
gluttony, pride, and envy. Which is truely unfortunate because there is
plenty of potential.

NR

Old July 23rd 03, 07:28 AM
NoMoreChess

but the United States will prosper - spreading our
culture and values throughout the world.

What culture? Culture has died here. All we have is reality television
and the latest "stab your friend in the back for money" game shows

You could turn the TV off; or get cable, with a wide selection of channels,
including classic movies and edutainment.

Yes, the programs you described exist, and are probably some of the most
widely watched. But then, so are shows like "CSI: Miami" and Dick Van Dyke's
hospital/detective show, where the bad guys always get what's coming to them,
in the end.
Just like in the "good old days."

The only things America has to share are greed, avarice, lust, wrath,
gluttony, pride, and envy.

Sloth. You forgot sloth! Greed and avarice can be combined, so as not to
exceed the favored number, 7.

Why is it important not to forget about sloth? Because here in America, a
huge number of people are paid by the hour, and not according to their efforts
or results, but merely according to the lapse of time while they are "on the
clock."
Hence, our "culture" incorporates sloth, by its very nature.
Here, laziness is rewarded with overtime, since the job rarely gets done
efficiently with so many people sitting around, yakking all day.

So, how did we manage to get into such depressing topics, when we were
supposed to be happily discussing the election of our favorite pals, Sam and
Tim? ;-)