Ban Politics from chess.misc

Old July 22nd 03, 04:04 AM
Eric Hicks

Default Ban Politics from chess.misc

I thought this was the chess board.

I vote we keep politics off this board since there is plenty to go
around on the other politics group.

I think United States chess politics sucks, and that is why the USCF is
in such bad position, and why the United States remains "the sleeping
giant" in the chess scene (a Kasparov quote).

Reading this group with all the sleazy politics and people inbattling
each other, reminds me on why US Chess depresses me.

Free enterprise will eventually take over in Untited States Chess...the
USCF will eventually step aside..and this group shows enough reasons
why....

Lets keep politics to politics and let this group be the Chess group
where we speak about chess.

That is my vote.

We have to many patzers when it comes to chess politics.

...x
Old July 22nd 03, 05:05 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Eric Hicks" wrote in message
I thought this was the chess board.

I vote we keep politics off this board since there is plenty to go
around on the other politics group.

I think United States chess politics sucks, and that is why the USCF is
in such bad position, and why the United States remains "the sleeping
giant" in the chess scene (a Kasparov quote).

Reading this group with all the sleazy politics and people inbattling
each other, reminds me on why US Chess depresses me.

Free enterprise will eventually take over in Untited States Chess...the
USCF will eventually step aside..and this group shows enough reasons
why....

Lets keep politics to politics and let this group be the Chess group
where we speak about chess.

That is my vote.

We have to many patzers when it comes to chess politics.

..x

You're right, in a sense; however, this is rec.games.chess.misc
(miscellaneous), so anything related to chess is fair game on this forum and
not considered "cross-posted" or off-topic.

Regards,

Matt

Old July 22nd 03, 05:29 AM
Mhoulsby

From: "Matt Nemmers"
Date: 22/07/03 04:05 GMT Daylight Time

"Eric Hicks" wrote in message
[...]

A little while ago, a new poster calling himself (or, possibly, herself) "A
Bird You See, A Very Nice Bird" posted the following debut message to this
group:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y1FB12855

This message was also posted to the other RGC* groups but it was *not*
*crossposted* - that is, "A Bird...", being unsure about which group might be
the most appropriate, had gone to the not inconsiderable trouble of posting to
each group *separately*.

Now, it's clear to me that RGCP issues should remain in RGCP *only*. When they
don't, they can lead, eventually, to the likes of Timothy Hanke starting *flame
wars*, by *deliberately* CROSSPOSTING blatant lies about an innocent
individual, as he

http://makeashorterlink.com/?H1A123555

In other words, I respectfully disagree with you, Matt, and with Timothy Hanke,
too...

Crossposting is *never* justified, even if (as is often the case) a topic is
appropriate to more than one group.

Best
Mark

Old July 22nd 03, 05:31 AM
Steve Grant

"Eric Hicks" wrote in message

I vote we keep politics off this board since there is plenty to go
around on the other politics group.

I vote we throw Sam Sloan out of an airplane to see if he can fly.

Old July 22nd 03, 06:11 AM
Eric Hicks

Since there is already a group more active than this one dedicated to
politics...I think posting political posts to this group weighs it down
and is off point.

Replying to:
"You're right, in a sense; however, this is rec.games.chess.misc
(miscellaneous), so anything related to chess is fair game on this forum
and
not considered "cross-posted" or off-topic.

Regards,

Matt"

http://www.academicchess.com

...x
Old July 22nd 03, 03:27 PM
TomD

Eric Hicks wrote in message ...
I thought this was the chess board.

I vote we keep politics off this board since there is plenty to go
around on the other politics group.
(excellent points snipped)

I agree fully, but lotsa luck. In a nutshell, you are too sane to
bother with the chess newsgroups (Congratulations!).
Rec.games.chess.analysis is the only one with any redeeming value, but
it too is irrevocably tainted with inane crossposts. If you must
persist, killfile liberally.
Old July 22nd 03, 06:24 PM
Ken Blake

"Matt Nemmers" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

You're right, in a sense; however, this is rec.games.chess.misc
(miscellaneous), so anything related to chess is fair game on

this forum

No, that's not the sense in which "misc" is used here. When the
chess newsgroup was divided into several pieces, groups were made
for analysis, politics, etc. The "misc" group was created as a
catchall for everything else left over. It was specifically made
to *not* include those things for which there were separate
groups.

The problem with politics here is almost entirely because of one
person--Sam Sloan. Sloan apparently thinks that what he has to
say is so important that it transcends all rules--rules are for
everyone but him.

But, of course, as someone else pointed out, there's no way to
enforce any rules here.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old July 22nd 03, 08:04 PM
David Jackson

In ,
Eric Hicks typed:
I thought this was the chess board.

I vote we keep politics off this board since there is plenty to go
around on the other politics group.

Indeed. On a related note, is there a simple way to set up a message rule in
Outlook Express to ignore messages crossposted to rgcp?

--
David Jackson in the Roman auxiliary fort of Condate
Now known as Northwich Cheshire