Chess Moves Mental Checklist

Old August 24th 03, 01:57 AM
Chris

Default Chess Moves Mental Checklist

I'm hoping someone with a rating over 2000 can give some advice on a good
mental checklist before moving a chess piece. Basically list of everything
you should check and the order before making a physical move of a piece.
Currently I don't employ one and I think it's what is needed to get me over
the next hump.

Thanks

Chris

Old August 24th 03, 07:02 PM
Dan Heisman

Chris,

I have a short one and a long one in my Novice Nook columns:

Short at the bottom of www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman29.pdf

....and a long one that makes up

www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman14.pdf

Also my current Novice Nook contains lists that includes some checklists, depending upon the situation.

Regards,
Dan H
Old August 24th 03, 09:25 PM
Chris

Thanks for the links Dan. I've saved them off and will definitely read
them. By the way I've read your book "Everyone's 2nd Chess Book" and loved
that. Are you thinkiing about doing any books for higher ranked players?

Chris

Old August 25th 03, 12:35 AM
Flobby Bischer

Here's the three point mental checklist I use:

1.) I hope this move doesn't lose.
2.) I hope this move doesn't lose.
3.) I hope this move doesn't lose.

Old August 25th 03, 02:08 AM
Chris

That sounds too much like my current though process. Or sometimes "This is
the killer move". Only to find out I moved into a knight fork.

Chris

.. .

Old August 27th 03, 04:56 AM
Tom Rowan

"Chris" wrote in message ...
I'm hoping someone with a rating over 2000 can give some advice on a good
mental checklist before moving a chess piece. Basically list of everything
you should check and the order before making a physical move of a piece.
Currently I don't employ one and I think it's what is needed to get me over
the next hump.

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

In my opinion, mental checklists are fine but not for use at the
board. Use checklists at home while you're studying. At the board
your play needs to be natural.

Playing chess is like speaking a language. Our speech would sound
slow, awkward, and unnatural if we ran through a mental checklist of
grammar and composition before speaking. A chess checklist at the
board will cause similar problems.

Tom Rowan
http://www.tomrowan.com
Old November 9th 12, 08:49 AM
JamesBennett JamesBennett is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rowan View Post
Well, I think a mental checklist should not be performed during a match, but only during practice or training sessions. During a match, the player needs to be well-prepared and his moves should be natural and smooth-flowing. Doing a mental checklist during a match would only cause the player to question his moves which might in turn cause him to feel half-hearted and not give his all. He might make a move that he is not supposed to and might avoid a move that he is supposed to take.