Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Who is your favorite World Champion ? by SAT W-7
being in the USA id have to say Fischer but i think Kasparov is my favorite ..I liked reading his book called Kasparov vs Karpov .. The whole set up of each game was interesting to me too .. I wish the games were 24 games again ..I belive that is a true test of a champion .. In the I2 game set you lose the first game you probably lose the match ..No time to come back. In the 24 game match...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 7th 10 02:31 AM
by micky Go to last post
25 680
Russian Team Championships by ChessFire
current performers at Russian Championships: Place Title Name Fed. FIDE Team N % Total Rp Chg 1 IM Cmilyte, Viktorija LTU 2485 SPb Chess Fed 3 100 3.0 3223 1.25 2 GM Stefanova, Antoaneta BUL 2555 AVS 4 87 3.5 2799
April 6th 10 06:40 PM
by ChessFire Go to last post
0 324
Russian Team Championships by ChessFire
Alexandra loses again: Russian Team Championship (Women's League) round 5 results: 1 4 AVS 3.5 - 0.5 M.Chigorin Chess Club 2 1 2555 Stefanova, Antoaneta 1 - 0 Molchanova, Tatjana 2369
April 6th 10 06:37 PM
by ChessFire Go to last post
0 312
Ideas for rehab ?? by MikeMurray
Or must it swim with the fishes? It appears one of my favorite blitz/bullet lines has a practical refutation: 1. e4 e6 2. b3 d5 3. Bb2!? dxe4 4. Nc3 f5!?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 6th 10 05:49 PM
by MikeMurray Go to last post
17 529
USCF politicians cancel most successful US girls chess event by ChessFire
New format for the Susan Polgar National Invitational for Girls (SPNI) The U.S.C.F. has decided to cancel the Susan Polgar National Invitational for Girls, the most prestigious and most successful all- girls national championship in U.S. history. They also cancelled the U.S.C.F. Polgar Committee. Unfortunately, no one officially informed me of these decisions (not even as of today!) and I did...
April 6th 10 05:03 PM
by MikeMurray Go to last post
8 335
Chess-9: swapping pieces in the initial array by M Winther
"Chess-9 : swapping pieces in the initial array" In this relocation procedure only 8 *non-mirrored* positions are generated, plus the standard position. The point is that it should always make sense to choose any of these positions. They are strategically logical, with both weaknesses and strengths. I just want to strike a blow for non- mirrored positions. Although FRC positions are fun, I...
April 6th 10 06:44 AM
by M Winther Go to last post
2 359
Fischer's Remains to be Exhumed by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6227
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 5th 10 01:53 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
12 528
One of the shadiest characters recorded in the history of chess passes 50 by Gilles Garrigues
Also as far as I remember Zurab won a european championship (a few years ago) after taking back one of his moves (same as what Kasparov did against Judit Polgar !!). He confirmed the fact in a video published in a CB Magazine... This guy really stinks... "Offramp" a écrit dans le message de news: ... ...
April 5th 10 09:23 AM
by Gilles Garrigues Go to last post
0 392
The effect of memory - a Ray Keene episode by Offramp
At http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1071334 Ray Keene analyses this very good game.
April 5th 10 03:55 AM
by The Master Go to last post
1 350
Who could YOU beat, and when by Offramp
I was reading about one of the City of London Churches and it mentioned a Rev Owen. There were plenty of those through history. But I thought about the famous chess player. I thought, I bet if I went back in time and played him I'd have no trouble beating him in a match. He would have the advantage in some openings like the King's Gambit, but in many openings and most endings I would wipe the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 5th 10 03:44 AM
by The Master Go to last post
18 655
Wheels within wheels; matches within matches by Offramp
Often, long rivalries contain small feuds. In the 1974 final candidates' match Karpov & Kortschnoi played 7 French Tarrasch games. That is the one where black accepts an isolated d-pawn. Karpov was usually very good against IQPs but all seven games were...
April 4th 10 02:53 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
1 261
What was the winning move? by Offramp
In today's (31/03/10) London Evening Standard this is the game from Leonard Barden's chess column.
April 3rd 10 03:09 PM
by micky Go to last post
7 374
local poster wins tourney by ChessFire
A couple of Earnie's games to win Dutchess County Championship, NY Ernie Johnson (W) Ken Evans(B) DCC Poughkeepsie NY Round 5 1.c4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.d4 d6 5.e4 0-0 6.h3 e5 7.d5 Nh5 8.Bd3 Nf4 9.Bxf4 exf4 10.Qd2 f5 11.0-0-0 Bxc3 12.Qxc3 fxe4 13.Bxe4 Nd7
April 1st 10 01:59 PM
by EJAY Go to last post
3 272
Amber: Carlsen & Ivanchuk tie for first ... by micky
The topsy-turvy performance from Magnus Carlsen continued till the bitter end of the Amber Tournament in Nice, France, as the Norwegian teenage world number one blew his chances of a remarkable comeback lone victory following a rare blindfold oversight. Despite Carlsen scoring 13 wins (and was only one short of Anand's Amber record number of wins - 14), it was veteran Vassily Ivanchuk, at 41,...
April 1st 10 01:04 PM
by micky Go to last post
3 329
Why Tony Saidy Loves Immigrants by [email protected]
ELXANDER KOSTENIUS Women's World Chess Champ Alexandra Kosteniuk from Moscow is now a resident of Florida: http://www.chessdom.com/images/store/kosteniuk-16795.jpg
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 1st 10 12:16 PM
by micky Go to last post
21 764
Smyslov dies by EJAY
It is my understanding that the 7th World Champion Vassily Smyslov died at the age of 89 in a hospital I believe due to heart failure.Smyslov was the oldest living World Champion ( I believe Spassky is now the oldest living WC) at the time of his death. I would rate him as the strongest player during the 1950's. He was the only player to win 2 Candidates tournament during the 50's. He also is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 31st 10 07:40 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
43 1,529
Cmg to pgn conversion program? by Chris F.A. Johnson
On 2010-03-05, Peter s wrote: I have a lot of chessmaster 3000, 4000, 8000 and 9000 game files (*.cmg). Is anywhere in internet a program what can convert these cmg-files to pgn or something else well known format? Even new chessmaster grandmaster edition can not read these old files (only few of them), because the cmg format was been changed little bit many many years ago. I...
March 31st 10 07:26 PM
by Chris F.A. Johnson Go to last post
0 422
Magnus Carlsen the rook ending magician by Offramp
Four years ago Magnet won a 4-3 rook ending against a much lower-rated opponent
March 31st 10 04:05 PM
by SAT W-7 Go to last post
2 522
Curacao 1962 again - especially Geller's role by krammi1
Hello , a) at the "Candidates Tournament Curacao 1962" after 23. rounds (because M. Tal fell ill after the third quarter of the "four times round robin tournament with 8 players" there would be no 28. round) the situation was : 1. Petrosian 15.0 (22 games) 2. Keres 15.0 (22 games)
March 30th 10 10:50 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
4 432
DGT 2010 or Chronos GX? by MrVidmar
I'm considering buying one or the other. I'd appreciate comments. Also, any dependability problems with either? Thanks
March 30th 10 09:25 PM
by MrVidmar Go to last post
3 876
Post New Thread