Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Equivalency (further musings on "pawn sacrifice") by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
In the thread "d6 or e6 Sicilian" Ray Lopez asserted that essentially "the Sicilian is a pawn sacrifice by Black, especially if they play d6 or e6." He asserted this was true whether or not any actual pawn had been sacrificed. He based this on the claim that Fritz 5.32 evaluated some Sicilian lines at about +0.50 (half a pawn) in White's favor, after a few seconds of analysis. He insisted such...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 29th 10 01:19 AM
by micky Go to last post
13 538
The Rising Tide of Color Against White World-Supremacy by LothropStoddard by [email protected]
UGLY WOMAN T-SHIRT I've never gone to bed with an ugly woman, but I sure did wake up with a few! http://tinyurl.com/3yqf9dt Neo wrote:
April 28th 10 01:40 AM
by None Go to last post
2 402
Our own prediction contest for the World Champeenship by Offramp
Chessgames is running a prediction contest. There are some good questions, which can be summarised by a cut and paste: WINNER HOW MANY GAMES? FIRST BLOOD HOW MANY DRAWS? 100 MOVE GAME Yes or no UNDERPROMOTION Yes or no
April 27th 10 04:03 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
7 500
Who is a better end game player Topolov or Anand ? by SAT W-7
I belive Top is better in the opening and i am not sure who is better in the middle game or end game .... Wish these WCC games would get started..
April 27th 10 05:39 AM
by None Go to last post
5 503
a6-b5 in Yugoslav Attack 10.0-0-0 by David Kevin
Hi, I wonder why it is claimed that direct pawn attack in Yugoslav Attack with 10.0-0-0 is too slow to beat White. 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 O-O 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 Bd7 10. 0-0-0 a6 Wikipedia gives that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian,_Dragon,_Yugoslav_attack,_9.Bc4 "Black will generally omit ...a6, because White will normally win a straight pawn attack,...
April 26th 10 06:11 AM
by The Master Go to last post
1 309
Top vs Anand , one and one with a rest day next.. by SAT W-7
Anand bounced back to get a hard fought win.. That first game they made I8 moves in about 4 min , easy way to fall into a trap ...I think Anand better slow his moves down a little when he plays black because Top is so good at openings that he should take a little extra time to study the position.. I really have no idea who will win but it looks like they are playing exciting chess...At lest to...
April 25th 10 11:49 PM
by SAT W-7 Go to last post
0 309
Einstein's cosmolological constant repulsive force by daniel fitzpatrick
Einstein's cosmolological constant repulsive force Most scientist now believe Einstein was right about this repulsive force (click link) http://www.amperefitz.com/einsteins.cos.c.htm Hope you like this,
April 25th 10 02:17 PM
by daniel fitzpatrick Go to last post
0 314
a6-b5 in Yugoslav Attack 10.0-0-0 by David Kevin
Hi, I wonder why it is claimed that direct pawn attack in Yugoslav Attack with 10.0-0-0 is too slow to beat White. 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 O-O 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 Bd7 10. 0-0-0 a6 Wikipedia gives that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian,_Dragon,_Yugoslav_attack,_9.Bc4 "Black will generally omit ...a6, because White will normally win a straight pawn attack,...
April 24th 10 07:43 AM
by David Kevin Go to last post
0 366
Iceland Volcano May Postpone WCh Match by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
It appears that Vishy Anand is stuck in Frankfurt, Germany, and can't get a flight to Bulgaria because of the Iceland volcanic eruption. The Indian chess federation is requesting a postponement: http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6265
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 22nd 10 01:07 PM
by SAT W-7 Go to last post
23 1,032
GM John Nunn wins problem-solving championship by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
As you can read he http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6261 British GM Dr. John Nunn has just won the European Chess Problem Solving Championship. One thing unrelated to chess struck me about this article. In the photo near the end, in which he poses with his tropies, Nunn, with his curly, whitening hair all round his head, reminded me of some actor,
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 21st 10 10:20 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
15 925
d6 or e6 Sicilian by The Master
On Apr 17, 9:16*am, Taylor Kingston wrote: * Some interesting arguments I am not 'arguing' anything, really. What I've done here is simply observe the behavior of RL and then recognize the distinct possibility
April 21st 10 04:50 AM
by The Master Go to last post
2 355
London Chess Centre Apocalypse by Offramp
I took the 88 bus today from Mornington Crescent around to Great Portland Street. As the bus passed the London Chess Centre my heart was filled with alarm and despondency: it was closed for good - relocated to 44 Baker Street. The two shops were so close together that I suspected that a merger might be on the horizon, but I expected the survivor to be on the Euston Road. Mind you, I only ever...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 20th 10 09:12 PM
by micky Go to last post
15 780
What do the Earl of Northampton and Kirsan Ilyumzhimov have incommon? by Offramp
Up until recently, at the festive boards of my quarterly masonic meetings, we all used to rise for a toast to the Earl of Northampton, who was the Pro Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England from 2001 until March 2009. Can anyone guess what fairly unusual trait the noble Earl shares with Kirsan Ilyumzhimov?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 20th 10 09:38 AM
by Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod) Go to last post
13 633
First game of WCC starts at I2.00 UTC , what time is that ? by SAT W-7
Anyone know ? I think they are playing in Bulgaria so what time would they start at for Seattle time ? Game starts the 24 th.....
April 19th 10 10:08 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
9 529
The USCF Needs To Take the High Road In the FIDE Election by MrVidmar
IMO, the endorsement of Karpov was far too hasty. In view of the corruption inherent in FIDE politics and the backgrounds of both Karpov and Kirsan, I ask that the EB reconsider its endorsement of Karpov and take the following position. 1. The USCF endorses no candidate in the FIDE election. 2. The USCF commits to abstaining from the vote for FIDE president unless and until it can be...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 19th 10 01:07 PM
by MrVidmar Go to last post
26 1,000
If you were playing in the WCC , would you want white or black by SAT W-7
first ? Me , i think id take black because in the last game you get white and if your losing by a game and really need a win id want white last ..
April 18th 10 11:20 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
8 591
IZT Amsterdam 1964 and Smyslov by krammi1
Hello , a) WHY / HOW was Smyslov qualified for the "Interzonal Tournament Amsterdam 1964" ?! (he finished there 1.-4. with 17.0/23) . He did NOT take part at the "31. USSR Championship 1963 Leningrad" (by the way : WHY not ?!) which was some kind of a Zonal Tournament. b) in case he should be admitted to the "IZT Amsterdam 1964"
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 18th 10 11:04 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
20 1,305
Holy Cow: Another Poor Cover on Chess Life by samsloan
When Dan Lucas took over as editor of Chess Life he made a great improvement in the covers and the photography. However, the last several covers of Chess Life have been really bad. I cannot remember the last time we had a good cover. By far the worst is the cover of the current April 2010 Chess Life. It has a picture of a cow. This when there are many interesting things going on in the World of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 18th 10 10:25 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
33 1,387
Coffee house chess by [email protected]
It looks like John Healy, author of The Grass Arena, is coming out with a book on Coffee House Chess Tactics. That makes me wonder: what other books (or articles, for that matter) are out there on the subject of coffee house chess, or chess players? I'm not thinking about the time when European coffee houses were the "internet" of the day, and all the top players stopped by to solve...
April 18th 10 04:50 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
8 688
Why did Boleslavsky resign that position ?! by krammi1
Hello , (perhaps I should put this question more aptly into the group "..chess.analyze" -- put I prefer this one ..) WHY did Boleslavsky resign after Tigran's not so very impressing 36.Rd7 (see following game) ?! : after 36..Rxd7 37.e6xd7 Rd8 there is no loss in sight (at least for me ..) for Black -- or ?!
April 17th 10 03:37 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
2 565
Post New Thread