Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Holy Cow: Another Poor Cover on Chess Life by samsloan
When Dan Lucas took over as editor of Chess Life he made a great improvement in the covers and the photography. However, the last several covers of Chess Life have been really bad. I cannot remember the last time we had a good cover. By far the worst is the cover of the current April 2010 Chess Life. It has a picture of a cow. This when there are many interesting things going on in the World of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 18th 10 09:25 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
33 1,133
Coffee house chess by [email protected]
It looks like John Healy, author of The Grass Arena, is coming out with a book on Coffee House Chess Tactics. That makes me wonder: what other books (or articles, for that matter) are out there on the subject of coffee house chess, or chess players? I'm not thinking about the time when European coffee houses were the "internet" of the day, and all the top players stopped by to solve...
April 18th 10 03:50 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
8 597
Why did Boleslavsky resign that position ?! by krammi1
Hello , (perhaps I should put this question more aptly into the group "..chess.analyze" -- put I prefer this one ..) WHY did Boleslavsky resign after Tigran's not so very impressing 36.Rd7 (see following game) ?! : after 36..Rxd7 37.e6xd7 Rd8 there is no loss in sight (at least for me ..) for Black -- or ?!
April 17th 10 02:37 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
2 483
We ( USA ) are taking all the worlds enriched uranium , i think weare by SAT W-7
buying it too .... we are being blackmailed because the other countries are saying they can not get rid of it or protect it from criminals.. Chili , Canada and another country..... And we are trying to get Argentina's too ..
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 16th 10 09:37 PM
by micky Go to last post
15 640
Jefferson Airplane and Chess by krammi1
Hello , I just heard the song "White Rabbitt" from Jefferson Airplane (sung by Grace Slick) . The text is obviously refferring to L. Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" and especially the "chessmen" are mentioned .. Are there any other pop songs known that allude to the game of chess (of course the well known musical "Chess" excluded ..) ?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 16th 10 12:59 AM
by None Go to last post
43 1,456
Unusual oversight by two great players by Offramp
Zukertort and Anderssen played some kind of match in Breslau in 1864. In two of the games Anderssen played the same 6th move in a Spanish: 8...Nxf2. These are the two games.
April 16th 10 12:02 AM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
8 434
Smyslov and Galina Wischnewskaja by krammi1
Hello , only a little remark about poor Smyslov who recently died : I just read in "Galina Wischnewskaja : Erinnerungen" (the memoirs of the famous "Prima Ballerina" at the Bolchoi Theatre in Moscow during the 1950ies and 1960ies ) that in 1953 (albeit she doesn't give the exact date) she had to tell to the KGB something about her collegue and dancer Petunin (who was politically suspicious
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 15th 10 11:41 AM
by Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod) Go to last post
14 689
The 5th Anniversary approaches of a great chess event. by Offramp
Dear all at rgcm, It is hard to believe that it is very nearly 5 years since the famous Sam H Sloan-Bill Brock RGCP Grudge Match. All three of the games are at chessgames.com, http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?pid=10021&pid2=27214 where some people, me and Eric "The" Schiller included, have made comments. I made an ebook out of it, using comments that appeared at this very newsgroup live at...
April 14th 10 10:04 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
3 384
little quizzing about the Moscow- and Leningrad- City -Championships ... by krammi1
Hello , I just flicked through the lists of the champions (from 1920 onwards) of the winners of the "Moscow City Chess Championship(s)" and the "Leningrad City Chess Championship(s)". I discovered only ONE person who has won (at least once each) BOTH championships :
April 14th 10 06:42 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
4 733
Sanny lets finish our game , i am too lazy to record the boardsgame by SAT W-7
What position were we at when we left off Ivan vs GC game ? Some one wanted to know the position to the game i was doing with the board and i am too lazy to record the game , i just expected people to have the game set up and follow it .. So Sanny start a new thread and post the moves to the game we had going .. have a good one .....Will look for the new thread.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 14th 10 12:09 PM
by SAT W-7 Go to last post
38 1,430
When does the WCC start , are we getting close ? by SAT W-7
How often does a champion have to defend the title , every two years ? I think it used to be 4 years ?
April 13th 10 01:56 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
6 434
If Rybka never gets beat or has a draw , will that mean chesssolved? by SAT W-7
I think Rybka is around 3200 ELO now and not many other chess computers can beat it and not many can draw it either ... Lets say the new version that will be coming out never loses or gets drawn , would you agree chess has been solved ?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 12th 10 11:14 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
10 561
Amusing Chess Quote.... by Berkeley Brett
"Life is a game of Chess. I don't know how to play Chess." From the trailer to the film, "Exit through the Gift Shop" a film about the street artist Banksy (among others). The person quotes is the filmmaker Thierry Guetta: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587707/ -- Brett (in Berkeley, California, USA)
April 10th 10 01:06 AM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
6 548
Playing chess with Kubrick by [email protected]
NEW YORK REVIEW OF BOOKS By Jeremy Bernstein The scene now shifts to the spring of 1972. I was spending the year at Oxford, and spent some Sundays with the Kubricks. Our interest again turned to chess but this time it was with the imminent match between Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky in Iceland. One Sunday, Kubrick and I watched Fischer’s interview with Mike Wallace for “60 Minutes.” It...
April 9th 10 12:26 AM
by sd Go to last post
2 312
Chess Patron Arrested by [email protected]
JEZDIMIR VASILJEVIC IN SERBIAN PRISON The Serbian financier of dubious repute who proffered $5 million of his bank's money to entice Fischer to play Spassky at Belgrade and Sveti Stefan in Montenegro on the Adriatic Sea in 1992 was extradited to Holland on charges of stealing over $168 million from his Yugoskandic Bank (NY Times March 29, 2010).
April 8th 10 01:51 PM
by Jürgen R. Go to last post
8 576
Match Alexander Petrov - Kopev by Geert van der Wulp
L.s., I am interested in finding the source of the often copied information that in 1809 the Russian chessplayer Alexander Petrov won matches against Kopev and Baranov. See for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Petrov I found out that the result of the match against Baranov (4:2 in favor of Petrov) can at least be traced back to the book of mr Wade "Soviet
April 8th 10 07:56 AM
by Geert van der Wulp Go to last post
9 562
2010 Sanford Fellow Announced by ChessFire
GM Robert Hess is the 2010 Samford Fellow April 6, 2010 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Allen Kaufman (718) 544-5036 NEW YORK-The twenty-fifth annual FRANK P. SAMFORD, JR. CHESS FELLOWSHIP was won by Robert L. Hess II of New York City. Though only
April 7th 10 06:32 PM
by SAT W-7 Go to last post
2 400
Booz Has Proof of Evans Lashing Out? (was: GM Evans interviewsLarry Parr) by The Master
On Apr 5, 8:31*pm, jkh001 wrote: If you're as weak a chess player as you are a debater FYI: this is not a 'debate.' This, my friend, is a discussion group. We discuss things. We do not have 'debates.' This is not junior high school.
April 7th 10 07:01 AM
by The Master Go to last post
4 352
Who is your favorite World Champion ? by SAT W-7
being in the USA id have to say Fischer but i think Kasparov is my favorite ..I liked reading his book called Kasparov vs Karpov .. The whole set up of each game was interesting to me too .. I wish the games were 24 games again ..I belive that is a true test of a champion .. In the I2 game set you lose the first game you probably lose the match ..No time to come back. In the 24 game match...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 7th 10 02:31 AM
by micky Go to last post
25 806
Russian Team Championships by ChessFire
current performers at Russian Championships: Place Title Name Fed. FIDE Team N % Total Rp Chg 1 IM Cmilyte, Viktorija LTU 2485 SPb Chess Fed 3 100 3.0 3223 1.25 2 GM Stefanova, Antoaneta BUL 2555 AVS 4 87 3.5 2799
April 6th 10 06:40 PM
by ChessFire Go to last post
0 382
Post New Thread