Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
The 5th Anniversary approaches of a great chess event. by Offramp
Dear all at rgcm, It is hard to believe that it is very nearly 5 years since the famous Sam H Sloan-Bill Brock RGCP Grudge Match. All three of the games are at chessgames.com, http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?pid=10021&pid2=27214 where some people, me and Eric "The" Schiller included, have made comments. I made an ebook out of it, using comments that appeared at this very newsgroup live at...
April 14th 10 10:04 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
3 352
little quizzing about the Moscow- and Leningrad- City -Championships ... by krammi1
Hello , I just flicked through the lists of the champions (from 1920 onwards) of the winners of the "Moscow City Chess Championship(s)" and the "Leningrad City Chess Championship(s)". I discovered only ONE person who has won (at least once each) BOTH championships :
April 14th 10 06:42 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
4 688
Sanny lets finish our game , i am too lazy to record the boardsgame by SAT W-7
What position were we at when we left off Ivan vs GC game ? Some one wanted to know the position to the game i was doing with the board and i am too lazy to record the game , i just expected people to have the game set up and follow it .. So Sanny start a new thread and post the moves to the game we had going .. have a good one .....Will look for the new thread.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 14th 10 12:09 PM
by SAT W-7 Go to last post
38 1,325
When does the WCC start , are we getting close ? by SAT W-7
How often does a champion have to defend the title , every two years ? I think it used to be 4 years ?
April 13th 10 01:56 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
6 377
If Rybka never gets beat or has a draw , will that mean chesssolved? by SAT W-7
I think Rybka is around 3200 ELO now and not many other chess computers can beat it and not many can draw it either ... Lets say the new version that will be coming out never loses or gets drawn , would you agree chess has been solved ?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
10 521
Amusing Chess Quote.... by Berkeley Brett
"Life is a game of Chess. I don't know how to play Chess." From the trailer to the film, "Exit through the Gift Shop" a film about the street artist Banksy (among others). The person quotes is the filmmaker Thierry Guetta: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587707/ -- Brett (in Berkeley, California, USA)
April 10th 10 01:06 AM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
6 519
Playing chess with Kubrick by [email protected]
NEW YORK REVIEW OF BOOKS By Jeremy Bernstein The scene now shifts to the spring of 1972. I was spending the year at Oxford, and spent some Sundays with the Kubricks. Our interest again turned to chess but this time it was with the imminent match between Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky in Iceland. One Sunday, Kubrick and I watched Fischer’s interview with Mike Wallace for “60 Minutes.” It...
April 9th 10 12:26 AM
by sd Go to last post
2 289
Chess Patron Arrested by [email protected]
JEZDIMIR VASILJEVIC IN SERBIAN PRISON The Serbian financier of dubious repute who proffered $5 million of his bank's money to entice Fischer to play Spassky at Belgrade and Sveti Stefan in Montenegro on the Adriatic Sea in 1992 was extradited to Holland on charges of stealing over $168 million from his Yugoskandic Bank (NY Times March 29, 2010).
April 8th 10 01:51 PM
by Jürgen R. Go to last post
8 541
Match Alexander Petrov - Kopev by Geert van der Wulp
L.s., I am interested in finding the source of the often copied information that in 1809 the Russian chessplayer Alexander Petrov won matches against Kopev and Baranov. See for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Petrov I found out that the result of the match against Baranov (4:2 in favor of Petrov) can at least be traced back to the book of mr Wade "Soviet
April 8th 10 07:56 AM
by Geert van der Wulp Go to last post
9 517
2010 Sanford Fellow Announced by ChessFire
GM Robert Hess is the 2010 Samford Fellow April 6, 2010 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Allen Kaufman (718) 544-5036 NEW YORK-The twenty-fifth annual FRANK P. SAMFORD, JR. CHESS FELLOWSHIP was won by Robert L. Hess II of New York City. Though only
April 7th 10 06:32 PM
by SAT W-7 Go to last post
2 378
Booz Has Proof of Evans Lashing Out? (was: GM Evans interviewsLarry Parr) by The Master
On Apr 5, 8:31*pm, jkh001 wrote: If you're as weak a chess player as you are a debater FYI: this is not a 'debate.' This, my friend, is a discussion group. We discuss things. We do not have 'debates.' This is not junior high school.
April 7th 10 07:01 AM
by The Master Go to last post
4 318
Who is your favorite World Champion ? by SAT W-7
being in the USA id have to say Fischer but i think Kasparov is my favorite ..I liked reading his book called Kasparov vs Karpov .. The whole set up of each game was interesting to me too .. I wish the games were 24 games again ..I belive that is a true test of a champion .. In the I2 game set you lose the first game you probably lose the match ..No time to come back. In the 24 game match...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 7th 10 02:31 AM
by micky Go to last post
25 757
Russian Team Championships by ChessFire
current performers at Russian Championships: Place Title Name Fed. FIDE Team N % Total Rp Chg 1 IM Cmilyte, Viktorija LTU 2485 SPb Chess Fed 3 100 3.0 3223 1.25 2 GM Stefanova, Antoaneta BUL 2555 AVS 4 87 3.5 2799
April 6th 10 06:40 PM
by ChessFire Go to last post
0 360
Russian Team Championships by ChessFire
Alexandra loses again: Russian Team Championship (Women's League) round 5 results: 1 4 AVS 3.5 - 0.5 M.Chigorin Chess Club 2 1 2555 Stefanova, Antoaneta 1 - 0 Molchanova, Tatjana 2369
April 6th 10 06:37 PM
by ChessFire Go to last post
0 344
Ideas for rehab ?? by MikeMurray
Or must it swim with the fishes? It appears one of my favorite blitz/bullet lines has a practical refutation: 1. e4 e6 2. b3 d5 3. Bb2!? dxe4 4. Nc3 f5!?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 6th 10 05:49 PM
by MikeMurray Go to last post
17 589
USCF politicians cancel most successful US girls chess event by ChessFire
New format for the Susan Polgar National Invitational for Girls (SPNI) The U.S.C.F. has decided to cancel the Susan Polgar National Invitational for Girls, the most prestigious and most successful all- girls national championship in U.S. history. They also cancelled the U.S.C.F. Polgar Committee. Unfortunately, no one officially informed me of these decisions (not even as of today!) and I did...
April 6th 10 05:03 PM
by MikeMurray Go to last post
8 369
Chess-9: swapping pieces in the initial array by M Winther
"Chess-9 : swapping pieces in the initial array" In this relocation procedure only 8 *non-mirrored* positions are generated, plus the standard position. The point is that it should always make sense to choose any of these positions. They are strategically logical, with both weaknesses and strengths. I just want to strike a blow for non- mirrored positions. Although FRC positions are fun, I...
April 6th 10 06:44 AM
by M Winther Go to last post
2 390
Fischer's Remains to be Exhumed by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6227
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 5th 10 01:53 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
12 579
One of the shadiest characters recorded in the history of chess passes 50 by Gilles Garrigues
Also as far as I remember Zurab won a european championship (a few years ago) after taking back one of his moves (same as what Kasparov did against Judit Polgar !!). He confirmed the fact in a video published in a CB Magazine... This guy really stinks... "Offramp" a écrit dans le message de news: ... ...
April 5th 10 09:23 AM
by Gilles Garrigues Go to last post
0 425
The effect of memory - a Ray Keene episode by Offramp
At http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1071334 Ray Keene analyses this very good game.
April 5th 10 03:55 AM
by The Master Go to last post
1 385