Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
a6-b5 in Yugoslav Attack 10.0-0-0 by David Kevin
Hi, I wonder why it is claimed that direct pawn attack in Yugoslav Attack with 10.0-0-0 is too slow to beat White. 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 O-O 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 Bd7 10. 0-0-0 a6 Wikipedia gives that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian,_Dragon,_Yugoslav_attack,_9.Bc4 "Black will generally omit ...a6, because White will normally win a straight pawn attack,...
April 24th 10 07:43 AM
by David Kevin Go to last post
0 340
Iceland Volcano May Postpone WCh Match by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
It appears that Vishy Anand is stuck in Frankfurt, Germany, and can't get a flight to Bulgaria because of the Iceland volcanic eruption. The Indian chess federation is requesting a postponement: http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6265
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 22nd 10 01:07 PM
by SAT W-7 Go to last post
23 918
GM John Nunn wins problem-solving championship by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
As you can read he http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6261 British GM Dr. John Nunn has just won the European Chess Problem Solving Championship. One thing unrelated to chess struck me about this article. In the photo near the end, in which he poses with his tropies, Nunn, with his curly, whitening hair all round his head, reminded me of some actor,
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 21st 10 10:20 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
15 844
d6 or e6 Sicilian by The Master
On Apr 17, 9:16*am, Taylor Kingston wrote: * Some interesting arguments I am not 'arguing' anything, really. What I've done here is simply observe the behavior of RL and then recognize the distinct possibility
April 21st 10 04:50 AM
by The Master Go to last post
2 313
London Chess Centre Apocalypse by Offramp
I took the 88 bus today from Mornington Crescent around to Great Portland Street. As the bus passed the London Chess Centre my heart was filled with alarm and despondency: it was closed for good - relocated to 44 Baker Street. The two shops were so close together that I suspected that a merger might be on the horizon, but I expected the survivor to be on the Euston Road. Mind you, I only ever...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 20th 10 09:12 PM
by micky Go to last post
15 697
What do the Earl of Northampton and Kirsan Ilyumzhimov have incommon? by Offramp
Up until recently, at the festive boards of my quarterly masonic meetings, we all used to rise for a toast to the Earl of Northampton, who was the Pro Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England from 2001 until March 2009. Can anyone guess what fairly unusual trait the noble Earl shares with Kirsan Ilyumzhimov?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 20th 10 09:38 AM
by Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod) Go to last post
13 594
First game of WCC starts at I2.00 UTC , what time is that ? by SAT W-7
Anyone know ? I think they are playing in Bulgaria so what time would they start at for Seattle time ? Game starts the 24 th.....
April 19th 10 10:08 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
9 499
The USCF Needs To Take the High Road In the FIDE Election by MrVidmar
IMO, the endorsement of Karpov was far too hasty. In view of the corruption inherent in FIDE politics and the backgrounds of both Karpov and Kirsan, I ask that the EB reconsider its endorsement of Karpov and take the following position. 1. The USCF endorses no candidate in the FIDE election. 2. The USCF commits to abstaining from the vote for FIDE president unless and until it can be...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 19th 10 01:07 PM
by MrVidmar Go to last post
26 897
If you were playing in the WCC , would you want white or black by SAT W-7
first ? Me , i think id take black because in the last game you get white and if your losing by a game and really need a win id want white last ..
April 18th 10 11:20 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
8 530
IZT Amsterdam 1964 and Smyslov by krammi1
Hello , a) WHY / HOW was Smyslov qualified for the "Interzonal Tournament Amsterdam 1964" ?! (he finished there 1.-4. with 17.0/23) . He did NOT take part at the "31. USSR Championship 1963 Leningrad" (by the way : WHY not ?!) which was some kind of a Zonal Tournament. b) in case he should be admitted to the "IZT Amsterdam 1964"
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 18th 10 11:04 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
20 1,163
Holy Cow: Another Poor Cover on Chess Life by samsloan
When Dan Lucas took over as editor of Chess Life he made a great improvement in the covers and the photography. However, the last several covers of Chess Life have been really bad. I cannot remember the last time we had a good cover. By far the worst is the cover of the current April 2010 Chess Life. It has a picture of a cow. This when there are many interesting things going on in the World of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 18th 10 10:25 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
33 1,178
Coffee house chess by [email protected]
It looks like John Healy, author of The Grass Arena, is coming out with a book on Coffee House Chess Tactics. That makes me wonder: what other books (or articles, for that matter) are out there on the subject of coffee house chess, or chess players? I'm not thinking about the time when European coffee houses were the "internet" of the day, and all the top players stopped by to solve...
April 18th 10 04:50 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
8 612
Why did Boleslavsky resign that position ?! by krammi1
Hello , (perhaps I should put this question more aptly into the group "..chess.analyze" -- put I prefer this one ..) WHY did Boleslavsky resign after Tigran's not so very impressing 36.Rd7 (see following game) ?! : after 36..Rxd7 37.e6xd7 Rd8 there is no loss in sight (at least for me ..) for Black -- or ?!
April 17th 10 03:37 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
2 504
We ( USA ) are taking all the worlds enriched uranium , i think weare by SAT W-7
buying it too .... we are being blackmailed because the other countries are saying they can not get rid of it or protect it from criminals.. Chili , Canada and another country..... And we are trying to get Argentina's too ..
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 16th 10 10:37 PM
by micky Go to last post
15 674
Jefferson Airplane and Chess by krammi1
Hello , I just heard the song "White Rabbitt" from Jefferson Airplane (sung by Grace Slick) . The text is obviously refferring to L. Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" and especially the "chessmen" are mentioned .. Are there any other pop songs known that allude to the game of chess (of course the well known musical "Chess" excluded ..) ?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 16th 10 01:59 AM
by None Go to last post
43 1,537
Unusual oversight by two great players by Offramp
Zukertort and Anderssen played some kind of match in Breslau in 1864. In two of the games Anderssen played the same 6th move in a Spanish: 8...Nxf2. These are the two games.
April 16th 10 01:02 AM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
8 453
Smyslov and Galina Wischnewskaja by krammi1
Hello , only a little remark about poor Smyslov who recently died : I just read in "Galina Wischnewskaja : Erinnerungen" (the memoirs of the famous "Prima Ballerina" at the Bolchoi Theatre in Moscow during the 1950ies and 1960ies ) that in 1953 (albeit she doesn't give the exact date) she had to tell to the KGB something about her collegue and dancer Petunin (who was politically suspicious
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 15th 10 12:41 PM
by Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod) Go to last post
14 729
The 5th Anniversary approaches of a great chess event. by Offramp
Dear all at rgcm, It is hard to believe that it is very nearly 5 years since the famous Sam H Sloan-Bill Brock RGCP Grudge Match. All three of the games are at chessgames.com, http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?pid=10021&pid2=27214 where some people, me and Eric "The" Schiller included, have made comments. I made an ebook out of it, using comments that appeared at this very newsgroup live at...
April 14th 10 11:04 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
3 402
little quizzing about the Moscow- and Leningrad- City -Championships ... by krammi1
Hello , I just flicked through the lists of the champions (from 1920 onwards) of the winners of the "Moscow City Chess Championship(s)" and the "Leningrad City Chess Championship(s)". I discovered only ONE person who has won (at least once each) BOTH championships :
April 14th 10 07:42 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_2_] Go to last post
4 759
Sanny lets finish our game , i am too lazy to record the boardsgame by SAT W-7
What position were we at when we left off Ivan vs GC game ? Some one wanted to know the position to the game i was doing with the board and i am too lazy to record the game , i just expected people to have the game set up and follow it .. So Sanny start a new thread and post the moves to the game we had going .. have a good one .....Will look for the new thread.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 14th 10 01:09 PM
by SAT W-7 Go to last post
38 1,500