Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Chess books for learner? by [email protected]
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 at 4:28:56 AM UTC-7, Peter Percival wrote: Chess book recommendations for a learner please! _ It might be a good idea to consider learning from software. _ http://www.theweekinchess.com/john-watson-reviews/john-watson-book-review-114-more-on-electronic-publishing _ http://www.uschess.org/content/view/12291/719
0 265
The origins of modern chess: Renaissance Europe by raylopez99
Title says it all. Background below. RL On Saturday, November 8, 2014 7:40:09 AM UTC+8, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote: But his greatest achievement has been that he has single- handedly made chess popular as a sport in a nation of over 100 million cricket crazy citizens. The sport which
January 27th 15 08:17 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
4 434
Chess in Movies - First Spaceship on Venus by [email protected]
I was watching (via Mystery Science Theater 3000) the movie First Spaceship on Venus, and was surprised to find a very realistic chess scene; it had chess pieces and everything! The brilliant chess player had met his match in a robotic player, and we saw the end of one game. I was a bit perplexed as to how the robot would win, since it had only a bishop and a king; I somehow overlooked the move...
January 27th 15 08:07 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
5 483
Staunton pattern of chessmen by John Townsend[_2_]
"Nathaniel Cook" registered the Staunton pattern of chessmen as an ornamental design in March 1849. A colour representation of the design (no. 58607) is to be found at the National Archives in Kew (BT 43/57). "The Oxford Companion to Chess" (Hooper & Whyld, 1st edn., 1984, p. 327) contains the following: "STAUNTON CHESSMEN, the standard pattern of chessmen designed around 1835 by...
January 27th 15 01:04 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
2 426
Rooks and Towers / Why President Bush refused to play chess ... by Quadibloc
On Sunday, December 23, 2001 at 6:32:16 AM UTC-7, Enrico Rey wrote: But does this 'joke' make any sense for Americans? It would not make any sense - and, if it were understood, it would be highly offensive. So I think your source is mistaken. John Savard
January 27th 15 12:57 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
0 264
Chess books for learner? by Paul
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:28:56 PM UTC+1, Peter Percival wrote: Chess book recommendations for a learner please! Not enough info. In particular, we need to know if the learner is a child or an adult. Presumably "learner" means total beginner here -- someone who needs to know the rules? Paul Epstein
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
10 632
KG Variation by Phil Innes
I am out of my book at move 7, and Black didn't play well, but what is this variation, and what should black do instead? White: Chess One 2202 Black: Barclays 1747 Correspondence game, Jan 2015 The 'wisdom' about playing the King's Gambit is 'never back down', so here is the 'kitchen sink' attack, an unofficial variation, and, to mix metaphors, welcome to the Wild West. 1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4
January 23rd 15 04:35 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
0 225
77th Tata Steel Chess Tournament: 9 - 25 January 2015 in Wijk aan Zee by Phil Innes
Participants of Tata Steel Masters Name - Country - Rating - Position GM Carlsen, Magnus NOR 2862 1 GM Caruana, Fabiano ITA 2820 2 GM Aronian, Levon ARM 2797 6 GM Giri, Anish NED 2784 7 GM So, Wesley USA 2762 10 GM Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime FRA 2757 13
January 23rd 15 04:27 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
3 363
Rinvolucri beats an IM in a 4NCL game by Paul
Arthur Rinvolucri impressed Jon Speelman by beating an IM in a 4NCL game. But how much of a David/Goliath act is this? What sort of info is there on Rinvolucri. I can't find anything on him at all. What is his BCF? Thanks, Paul
January 17th 15 01:08 AM
by Andy Walker[_3_] Go to last post
1 270
Hasting 2014/15 by Phil Innes
A round 3 ding-dong 1 : Eames, Robert S 0 Pickersgill, Adrian O 1 e4 d6
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 4th 15 10:17 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
15 527
Magnus Carlsen - Viswanathan Anand 2014 Re-Match for the WorldChess Championship new book published today by chessparrot
On Friday, December 19, 2014 6:01:38 PM UTC, samsloan wrote: Magnus Carlsen - Viswanathan Anand 2014 Re-Match for the World Chess Championship by Raymond Keene has just been published today. It has 202 pages and more diagrams than pages. Published by Ishi Press ISBN 4871877523 Available from Amazon and from bookstores around the world. http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871877523 This...
January 1st 15 02:28 AM
by 52%[_2_] Go to last post
1 299
Pan Am by Phil Innes
Good Game by Ray Robson Kyron W Griffith 02:18 1 Ray Robson 09:31
December 29th 14 08:02 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
5 347
A Drueke question by laocmo
I've been playing on Drueke boards for 50 years. How do you properly pronounce that name?
8 643
London Chess Classic - Games by Phil Innes
Kramnik,V 00:00.0 0 Caruana,F 00:00.0 game in progress, a cool intercession by Kramnik at move 25
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 21st 14 01:45 PM
by Jürgen R. Go to last post
11 605
Rooks and Towers / Why President Bush refused to play chess ... by [email protected]
On Monday, December 24, 2001 2:09:16 PM UTC-5, John Savard wrote: On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 14:31:49 +0100, "Enrico Rey" wrote, in part: Q: Where does the 'rook' in engl./chess etymologically come from? (That black bird named 'rook' I know). As others have noted, the piece's original name was "rukh".
0 244
Appellants Brief in Sloan vs New York State Board of Elections CaseNo. 14-3342 United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
snip, snip, snip So...........what does this have to do with chess? EZoto
December 3rd 14 04:52 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
0 251
Russian Championship Superfinal by Phil Innes
Svidler Morozevich rd 3 1 Nf3 Nf6 2 g3 b5 3 d3 Bb7 4 e4 g6 5 e5 Nd5 6 Bg2 Bg7 7 O-O O-O 8 Re1 e6
November 30th 14 03:33 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
1 264
who is better by Joe keane
in the opening Anand is much better i think Carlsen won with the handicap of Carlsen playing the opening
November 30th 14 03:37 AM
by Charles Milton Ling Go to last post
1 358
Carlsen Anand W CH Games by Phil Innes
Unsure who the commentator is, but I think it is Peter Svidler. Here is Game 3 so far, and looks like Anand will win the game leveling the score Anand - Carlsen (game 3) 1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 e6 3 Nf3 d5 Magnus opted for something safer 4 Nc3 Be7 5 Bf4 0-0 Typical position for Queen's Gambit Declined 6 e3 Nbd7 7 c5 c6 Nf6 2 c4 e6 3 Nf3 d5 4 Nc3 Be7 5 Bf4O-O 6 e3 Nbd7 7 c5 c6 8 Bd3 b6 9 b4 a5 10 a3...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 28th 14 09:15 AM
by 52%[_2_] Go to last post
22 1,478
World Chess Championship: Anand, the nice guy who finished first by raylopez99
On Saturday, November 8, 2014 7:40:09 AM UTC+8, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote: But his greatest achievement has been that he has single- handedly made chess popular as a sport in a nation of over 100 million cricket crazy citizens. The sport which took birth in India as 'Chaturanga' is played avidly today and followed in the country chiefly due to the contributions of this one man.
November 24th 14 03:36 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 235
Post New Thread