Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Advanced chess books (middlegame & tactics & psychology) by PHR
Anyone have any ideas for good "advanced chess books"? I am rated a little over 1900 and enjoy going through multitudes of game collections, but I'm looking for something a little different. I've been through "Reassess Your Chess" (Silman), "The Middle-Game in Chess" (Znosko-Borovsky), "Judgement and Planning in Chess" (Euwe), "Art of Attack" (Vukovic), "Pawn Structure Chess" (Soltis), and...
August 2nd 15 04:59 PM
by Jack Ryan Go to last post
4 615
FS:Franklin Mint Great Crusaders Chess set by your away pal
I am typically on the pinball rec games group but I have a unique chess set for sale and thought I would mention it here before I list it on Ebay. My Eaby user name is justisiscumin if you want to check my feedback. This set is pristine, board still in original box and I personally refinished the box to take it from the Franklin Mint level to a heirloom quality collector's box level. Anyone...
July 23rd 15 10:15 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
3 1,358
Walter Shawn Browne and his "Romantic Interlude" by samsloan
Walter Shawn Browne and his "Romantic Interlude" The chess world has been in shock since the news came yesterday morning that Grandmaster Walter Browne died early yesterday morning. For the last 49 years, I have been holding a small secret which I felt should best not be revealed as long as Browne was alive. I suspect that I am the only person who knows about this or who knows the whole...
July 22nd 15 12:23 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
3 490
CHESS-L by Manfred Tietze
Hello A long time ago (20 years and more) there was a mailing list called CHESS-L. As people say, the intenet don't forget anything, I wonder whether there is an archive, which contains these ancient postings. Every help is very welcome. Cheers! Manfred
July 16th 15 03:07 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
2 528
Kramnik on his great predecessors by Offramp. by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
I never knew Kramnik wrote that. I use to never read long posts but your post on Kramnik offramp was superb reading. I noticed that Kramnik called Capa a genius. Probably he thinks highly of him more than anyone else then Lasker a close second. That's my impression. Again excellent article. EZoto
June 22nd 15 08:53 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
5 478
One less mistake in the Pelikan by Phil Innes
1. e2-e4 c7-c5 2. Ng1-f3 Nb8-c6 3. d2-d4 cxd4 4. Nf3xd4 Ng8-f6 5. Nb1-c3 e7-e5 6. Nd4-b5 d7-d6 7. Bc1-g5 a7-a6 8. Nb5-a3 b7-b5 A completely normal Pelican so far, which White choses to vary with a drastic move
June 16th 15 06:10 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
0 321
DRAGON game problem by Phil Innes
WhiteElo "2202"] Corres Game 2015. My opponent cuts a few corners in development in order to obtain the dreaded ‘dragon bishop’ with Bg7 in the Sicilian Opening. Chess is a game usually played to gain a relative material advantage over opponent, but chess is not resolved that way. The situation of the King is not relative but absolute! 1. e2-e4 c7-c5 2. Ng1-f3 d7-d6 3. d2-d4 cxd4
June 16th 15 05:33 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
6 454
remarkable endgame by M Winther
I played this on FICS recently. I missed the remarkable move g4!!. This demonstrates that one must always search for unexpected continuations in endgames with light pieces. /Mats
June 16th 15 11:20 AM
by M Winther Go to last post
0 336
Java chess board? by [email protected]
I'm looking for chess board software, quite simple: start with a blank board, insert pieces, do analysis. Not for playing against an opponent. Like in olden days, there used to be things like tables, wood chess boards, chess pieces, and so on. Anybody remember that? Then you could analyze, by doing a weird thing called 'move the pieces around'. Is there such a thing, in Java, runs on...
May 26th 15 02:43 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
2 485
A Chess Puzzle. I don't know the answer by Offramp
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=91887 1st post: Feb-02-12 Landman: A trivia question. What do the following players have in common? Viswanathan Anand Levon Aronian Magnus Carlsen Boris Gelfand Robert Huebner
May 17th 15 10:27 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 317
In warfare, the arms aren't always positioned in the same way from the outset by M Winther
It is obvious that FRC can never become a popular variant. It is the random element which people don't like. But what if we were allowed to relocate the pieces ourselves? http://mlwi.magix.net/bg/fischerplacement.htm M. Winther --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
May 16th 15 09:58 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
3 390
Making PGN files by Eliyahu
Bs'd For those to whom it may concern; When I copy a pgn file from the web, say this group here, and I put it in Open Office, and save it as a .pgn file, Babas will not recognize it, and it won't work. However, when I paste them into Gedit, (my operating system is Linux Ubuntu) then it works.
May 8th 15 03:06 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
2 512
Sam Sloan, there is a hole in trap 192 of the book "Winning ChessTraps" by Irving Chernev. by Eliyahu
Bs'd There is a hole in trap 192 of the book "Winning Chess Traps" by Irving Chernev. It ends with "Or 18....B-Q2 19 N-N7 mate" but there is no mate after the knight goes to N7. Please explain.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 6th 15 06:29 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
20 1,152
today's problem by [email protected]
(Upper case denotes white) (hope this formats) black K B k _ _ _ _ _ P _ P _ _ _ _ p _ _ P p _ _ _ P
May 4th 15 05:10 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
6 455
Vishwanathan Anand finishes second in Shamkir Chess tourney by Anonymous Remailer (austria)
May 3rd 15 08:04 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
1 333
Colossal database of 100,000,000 games from the last 12 years at FICS by Offramp
Does anyone out there have the vouloir and the pouvoir and the time and the bandwidth and the discspace to download this database? It was first mentioned at https://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.chess.misc/msg/2ac2a2ae04861526?hl=en but the link to a torrent has expired. But the DB can still be downloaded from http://marcelk.net/logics/ or from http://cap.connx.com/scid/ Marcel van Kervinck,...
April 29th 15 09:00 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
3 772
Gaioz Nigalidze, Twice Georgian Champion, Caught Cheating by Offramp
http://chess-news.ru/en/node/18610 "I was suspicious about my opponent already after the tournament in Al Ain in December, where we both had been taking part. Nigalidze won that tournament; during our game he would go to the toilet very often, as well as this time. However, in Al Ain I had no evidence, I could only make guesses. Today, my suspicions have been confirmed... In our today's game,...
April 28th 15 10:10 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
3 464
Part of Gashimov Memorial contract by Offramp
I further solemnly promise that I will not write any notes or analysis, indite, carve, mark, engrave, or otherwise them delineate, or cause or suffer it to be so done by others, if in my power to prevent it, on anything, movable or immovable, under the canopy of Heaven, whereby or whereon any letter, character, or figure, or the least trace of a letter, character, or figure, may become legible,...
April 24th 15 04:14 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
1 328
Internet chess. by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
I'm hearing there is a new cheating program now where the bots can't detect. I suppose it was only a matter of time. Not sure how it works but considering the way people use computers now soon you'll be able to cheat in live tournaments and not get caught. I hope that never happens but it amazes me to what extent people will do this. Soon GO computers will be stronger that 9 dan players and...
April 22nd 15 01:27 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
2 352
Saving PGN files on the web by Eliyahu
Bs'd How can I save PGN files on the web?
April 20th 15 05:20 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
6 610
Post New Thread