Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
remarkable endgame by M Winther
I played this on FICS recently. I missed the remarkable move g4!!. This demonstrates that one must always search for unexpected continuations in endgames with light pieces. /Mats
June 16th 15 11:20 AM
by M Winther Go to last post
0 301
Java chess board? by [email protected]
I'm looking for chess board software, quite simple: start with a blank board, insert pieces, do analysis. Not for playing against an opponent. Like in olden days, there used to be things like tables, wood chess boards, chess pieces, and so on. Anybody remember that? Then you could analyze, by doing a weird thing called 'move the pieces around'. Is there such a thing, in Java, runs on...
May 26th 15 02:43 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
2 444
A Chess Puzzle. I don't know the answer by Offramp
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=91887 1st post: Feb-02-12 Landman: A trivia question. What do the following players have in common? Viswanathan Anand Levon Aronian Magnus Carlsen Boris Gelfand Robert Huebner
May 17th 15 10:27 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 289
In warfare, the arms aren't always positioned in the same way from the outset by M Winther
It is obvious that FRC can never become a popular variant. It is the random element which people don't like. But what if we were allowed to relocate the pieces ourselves? http://mlwi.magix.net/bg/fischerplacement.htm M. Winther --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
May 16th 15 09:58 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
3 350
Making PGN files by Eliyahu
Bs'd For those to whom it may concern; When I copy a pgn file from the web, say this group here, and I put it in Open Office, and save it as a .pgn file, Babas will not recognize it, and it won't work. However, when I paste them into Gedit, (my operating system is Linux Ubuntu) then it works.
May 8th 15 03:06 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
2 460
Sam Sloan, there is a hole in trap 192 of the book "Winning ChessTraps" by Irving Chernev. by Eliyahu
Bs'd There is a hole in trap 192 of the book "Winning Chess Traps" by Irving Chernev. It ends with "Or 18....B-Q2 19 N-N7 mate" but there is no mate after the knight goes to N7. Please explain.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 6th 15 06:29 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
20 1,013
today's problem by [email protected]
(Upper case denotes white) (hope this formats) black K B k _ _ _ _ _ P _ P _ _ _ _ p _ _ P p _ _ _ P
May 4th 15 05:10 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
6 400
Vishwanathan Anand finishes second in Shamkir Chess tourney by Anonymous Remailer (austria)
May 3rd 15 08:04 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
1 295
Colossal database of 100,000,000 games from the last 12 years at FICS by Offramp
Does anyone out there have the vouloir and the pouvoir and the time and the bandwidth and the discspace to download this database? It was first mentioned at https://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.chess.misc/msg/2ac2a2ae04861526?hl=en but the link to a torrent has expired. But the DB can still be downloaded from http://marcelk.net/logics/ or from http://cap.connx.com/scid/ Marcel van Kervinck,...
April 29th 15 09:00 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
3 729
Gaioz Nigalidze, Twice Georgian Champion, Caught Cheating by Offramp
http://chess-news.ru/en/node/18610 "I was suspicious about my opponent already after the tournament in Al Ain in December, where we both had been taking part. Nigalidze won that tournament; during our game he would go to the toilet very often, as well as this time. However, in Al Ain I had no evidence, I could only make guesses. Today, my suspicions have been confirmed... In our today's game,...
April 28th 15 10:10 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
3 422
Part of Gashimov Memorial contract by Offramp
I further solemnly promise that I will not write any notes or analysis, indite, carve, mark, engrave, or otherwise them delineate, or cause or suffer it to be so done by others, if in my power to prevent it, on anything, movable or immovable, under the canopy of Heaven, whereby or whereon any letter, character, or figure, or the least trace of a letter, character, or figure, may become legible,...
April 24th 15 04:14 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
1 295
Internet chess. by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
I'm hearing there is a new cheating program now where the bots can't detect. I suppose it was only a matter of time. Not sure how it works but considering the way people use computers now soon you'll be able to cheat in live tournaments and not get caught. I hope that never happens but it amazes me to what extent people will do this. Soon GO computers will be stronger that 9 dan players and...
April 22nd 15 01:27 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
2 321
Saving PGN files on the web by Eliyahu
Bs'd How can I save PGN files on the web?
April 20th 15 05:20 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
6 552
in the last 10 years ... Are top pro chess players making less money ? by [email protected]
I saw a 5-year-old thread entitled, How much do average Top 100 professional chess players make? About $40k USD a year revenues, after expenses. I wonder (because computer chess programs are getting to be so good) .... in the last 10 or 15 years.... 1. Are top professional chess players making less money? 2. Are there fewer professional chess players? 3. Is there less interest in chess...
April 15th 15 03:17 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
1 364
Lasker and Lasker by Justin Thyme
I don't think Emanuel Lasker and Edward (or Eduard) Lasker were related, but perhaps someone could confirm (or deny) that? -- I do not believe in revealed religion I will have nothing to do with your immortality; we are miserable enough in this life, without speculating on another. Lord Byron, 1778-1824, letter to Rev. Francis Hodgson, 1811
April 12th 15 12:36 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
6 505
Answer to Suit in Sloan vs. Goichberg has been filed by USCF by Samuel Sloan
The USCF has filed an answer to the case Sloan vs. Goichberg The answer can be downloaded from yousendit.com until May 30 You can paste the following address into your browser: https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1129222589/1539fc41d6632993ef57f503a349043c The answer is a non-answer. It does not address any of the issues in the complaint such as the fact that I have been kicked off the USCF ballot in...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 12th 15 11:33 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
13 978
Wesley So? by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
It has been a rough tournament for So. If a guy like him could have so much trouble for his first time in a US championship then it is a nightmare for other first timers who aren't even as high rated as So. So tomorrow Saturday could decide the tournament as Robson plays Naka. Should be an exiciting round indeed. EZoto
April 11th 15 07:15 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
5 482
Planet Karpov by M Winther
You have probably heard that Vishy Anand has now a planetoid named after himself: http://en.chessbase.com/post/going-viral-with-planetoid-vishyanand You can name planets as well as craters on Mars he http://www.uwingu.com/ For a small sum, I have named some craters on Mars myself. Naming planets is more important, so it occurs by nomination and voting. So we chess players should really...
April 10th 15 02:22 PM
by M Winther Go to last post
6 549
Gata Kamsky by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Though Robson and Nakamura are in the lead, Kamsky is one point behind. Watching Kamskys games to this point, he has saved 1\2 points in two dangerous games against Naka and Sevian which he "looked" lost but salvaged the 1\2. I'm guilty like a lot of people that we take for granted what a special player he is. The rare gift to play with the draw in hand. My opinion but I'll get criticized but...
April 5th 15 07:04 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
3 413
Nakamura - Akobian by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
2nd round of the US championship and it was a Burn French defense. Can anyone comment on that game because it doesn't make any sense at all. I know GM's have a bad game now and then but this was totally awful by Akobian. With all the computers and technique these days this game came out of the stone age. Naka got an extra rest day if you ask me. EZoto
April 4th 15 04:58 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
5 474
Post New Thread