Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Planet Karpov by M Winther
You have probably heard that Vishy Anand has now a planetoid named after himself: http://en.chessbase.com/post/going-viral-with-planetoid-vishyanand You can name planets as well as craters on Mars he http://www.uwingu.com/ For a small sum, I have named some craters on Mars myself. Naming planets is more important, so it occurs by nomination and voting. So we chess players should really...
April 10th 15 01:22 PM
by M Winther Go to last post
6 482
Gata Kamsky by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Though Robson and Nakamura are in the lead, Kamsky is one point behind. Watching Kamskys games to this point, he has saved 1\2 points in two dangerous games against Naka and Sevian which he "looked" lost but salvaged the 1\2. I'm guilty like a lot of people that we take for granted what a special player he is. The rare gift to play with the draw in hand. My opinion but I'll get criticized but...
April 5th 15 06:04 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
3 366
Nakamura - Akobian by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
2nd round of the US championship and it was a Burn French defense. Can anyone comment on that game because it doesn't make any sense at all. I know GM's have a bad game now and then but this was totally awful by Akobian. With all the computers and technique these days this game came out of the stone age. Naka got an extra rest day if you ask me. EZoto
April 4th 15 03:58 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
5 421
fantasy chess by Offramp
On Tuesday, 17 March 2015 05:47:17 UTC, wrote: How goes the following matches? 23 year old Magnus Carlsen vs. 23 year old Gary Kasparov Carlsen vs. 23 year old Karpov Carlsen vs. 23 year old Mikhail Tal Carlsen vs. 23 year old Bobby Fisher --
March 17th 15 05:45 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 282
Claiming a draw by Paul
In a pro event, I was surprised to see a player summon the arbiter to claim a draw under the 50 move rule. Surely, a better idea is for the claimer to simply offer a draw first, and only involve the arbiter if the offer is declined. That way is both more amicable and more efficient. I can't imagine that anyone would decline a draw in that situation -- pretty easy to check the scoresheet. Paul
March 5th 15 08:26 PM
by Paul Go to last post
2 386
Chessbase interview with Karpov by Offramp
We met in Karpov's office in the Duma around New Year. It was snowing outside. Spending his holidays in warmer climes was not to Karpov's taste. If possible, we've always spent the holidays in family and in Moscow. This time we will spend the holidays modestly. My wife and I are not fans of large parties the 12th World Champion explained. In documentaries about you, we learn and see you...
March 3rd 15 09:13 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
6 580
My Games from the 40th Peoples Tournament by samsloan
1.g4 d5 2.Bg2 Bxg4 3.c4 Nf6 4.cxd5 c6 5.Qb3 Qb6 6.dxc6 Nxc6 7.Qxb6 axb6 8.Nc3 e5 9.Nb5 Ra5 10.Nc3 Bc5 11.a3 b5 12.Rb1 b4 13.axb4 Bxb4 14.e3 Bf5 15.e4 Be6 16.d3 Bb3 17.Kd2 Nd4 18.Nf3 Ba2 19.Nxd4 exd4 20.Ra1 O-O 21.e5 Bd5 22.Rxa5 Bxa5 23.exf6 Bxg2 24.Rg1 Bd5 25.Rxg7+ Kh8 26.Rg5 Rd8 27.Kc2 dxc3 28.bxc3 Bc7 29.h4 Bc6 30.Ba3 Bd6 31.Bc1 Re8 32.Be3 Be5 33.Rf5 Bd7 34.Rf3 Bg4 35.Rf4 Bxf4 36.Bxf4 Re2+ 0-1
February 18th 15 12:33 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 459
Why I called Narciso Rabell Mendez a "comlete nut"? by samsloan
Some people who obviously do not know Narciso Rabell Mendez well have questioned my statement that he is a "complete nut". The previous year, in 1969 the FIDE Congress was held in San Juan Puerto Rico. I was there as a player. I did not attend the FIDE meetings. At that meeting, Edmondson proposed Max Euwe to be the next FIDE President. The Soviets did not oppose it but did not immediately agree...
February 13th 15 11:24 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 467
outbooking ?? by [email protected]
some decades ago, some chess programmers hated some guys making opening books with some forced lines; he was wrong; besides the middle ame (oops you have to think (eg Silman) , in the end its the endgame (carlsen) which is most important. so if you play chess you better understand some simple stuff about openings, middlegame, and endgame jef
0 354
Gibraltar Games by Phil Innes
Great cast of characters, including Nakamura who has begun his game this way 0 : WGM Vojinovic, Jovana 32:37 0 GM Nakamura, Hikaru 44:03 1 d4 f5
February 2nd 15 02:18 AM
by EJAY Go to last post
8 521
Fatherless chess players... by Offramp
For the whole history of chess only thirteen people have held the World Champion title. Only three of them lived with their fathers in childhood years: Max Euwe, Vasily Vasilyevich Smyslov and Tal. But Tal and Smyslov both were World Champions just for a year. Euwe for 2.
February 1st 15 03:04 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
2 355
4502 Solutions for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Books by [email protected]
List of Solutions Manuals and Test Banks ________________________________________ contact me at : mattosbw1(at)gmail.com Are available a lot of solution manuals/test banks (it is just a partial list). Then if you need one solutions manual/test bank just send me an email. Change the (at) for @
0 458
Dynamic Scoring Simplified by Quadibloc
On my web page, at http://www.quadibloc.com/chess/ch0622.htm I describe how a 12 by 8 chessboard could be packaged with a limited set of pieces suitable to four chess variants and a simplified version of Random Variant Chess. I'm probably going to change the page a little more, because the set as it stands won't let you play Courier Chess - and I think that a variant based on
January 29th 15 11:39 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
2 346
Games in the Golden Gate Open January 18-19, 2015 by samsloan
1.g4 d5 2.Bg2 e5 3.c4 d4 4.d3 Nc6 5.e4 Bb4+ 6.Nd2 Nge7 7.a3 Bxd2+ 8.Bxd2 a5 9.h3 Ng6 10.Nf3 a4 11.O-O Bd7 12.Qc2 h5 13.g5 Na5 14.Rae1 Nb3 15.Kh2 Nxd2 16.Qxd2 Nf4 17.Rg1 Ng6 18.Qb4 b6 19.Rc1 c5 20.Qd2 Qe7 21.Rcf1 Nf4 22.Kg3 h4+ 23.Kh2 Qe6 24.Rh1 Nxh3 25.Nxe5 Qxe5+ 26.f4 Nxf4 27.Qxf4 Qxf4+ 28.Rxf4 Rh5 29.Rhf1 Be6 30.g6 Ra7 31..Bh3 Bxh3 32.gxf7+ Kf8 33.Kxh3 Re7 34.R1f2 Rh7 35.Rf5 Re6 36.R2f4 g6...
January 28th 15 04:17 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 429
Caption Competition #35: It's Soccerball! by Offramp
Let's have another Caption Competition! http://en.chessbase.com/Portals/4/files/news/2015/misc/alinawijkpics07.jpg Provide a witty caption to that picture in 500 words or less and you could win a set of 3 surgical wheelchair-enabled steps. PLUS if you respond within the next ten minutes you'll be eligible for a copy of my out-of-print autobiography, "Bikes Babes Bombs Bullets...
January 28th 15 01:02 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 324
Chess books for learner? by [email protected]
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 at 4:28:56 AM UTC-7, Peter Percival wrote: Chess book recommendations for a learner please! _ It might be a good idea to consider learning from software. _ http://www.theweekinchess.com/john-watson-reviews/john-watson-book-review-114-more-on-electronic-publishing _ http://www.uschess.org/content/view/12291/719
0 304
The origins of modern chess: Renaissance Europe by raylopez99
Title says it all. Background below. RL On Saturday, November 8, 2014 7:40:09 AM UTC+8, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote: But his greatest achievement has been that he has single- handedly made chess popular as a sport in a nation of over 100 million cricket crazy citizens. The sport which
January 27th 15 08:17 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
4 487
Chess in Movies - First Spaceship on Venus by [email protected]
I was watching (via Mystery Science Theater 3000) the movie First Spaceship on Venus, and was surprised to find a very realistic chess scene; it had chess pieces and everything! The brilliant chess player had met his match in a robotic player, and we saw the end of one game. I was a bit perplexed as to how the robot would win, since it had only a bishop and a king; I somehow overlooked the move...
January 27th 15 08:07 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
5 543
Staunton pattern of chessmen by John Townsend[_2_]
"Nathaniel Cook" registered the Staunton pattern of chessmen as an ornamental design in March 1849. A colour representation of the design (no. 58607) is to be found at the National Archives in Kew (BT 43/57). "The Oxford Companion to Chess" (Hooper & Whyld, 1st edn., 1984, p. 327) contains the following: "STAUNTON CHESSMEN, the standard pattern of chessmen designed around 1835 by...
January 27th 15 01:04 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
2 472
Rooks and Towers / Why President Bush refused to play chess ... by Quadibloc
On Sunday, December 23, 2001 at 6:32:16 AM UTC-7, Enrico Rey wrote: But does this 'joke' make any sense for Americans? It would not make any sense - and, if it were understood, it would be highly offensive. So I think your source is mistaken. John Savard
January 27th 15 12:57 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
0 300
Post New Thread