Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Why I called Narciso Rabell Mendez a "comlete nut"? by samsloan
Some people who obviously do not know Narciso Rabell Mendez well have questioned my statement that he is a "complete nut". The previous year, in 1969 the FIDE Congress was held in San Juan Puerto Rico. I was there as a player. I did not attend the FIDE meetings. At that meeting, Edmondson proposed Max Euwe to be the next FIDE President. The Soviets did not oppose it but did not immediately agree...
February 13th 15 11:24 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 444
outbooking ?? by [email protected]
some decades ago, some chess programmers hated some guys making opening books with some forced lines; he was wrong; besides the middle ame (oops you have to think (eg Silman) , in the end its the endgame (carlsen) which is most important. so if you play chess you better understand some simple stuff about openings, middlegame, and endgame jef
0 339
Gibraltar Games by Phil Innes
Great cast of characters, including Nakamura who has begun his game this way 0 : WGM Vojinovic, Jovana 32:37 0 GM Nakamura, Hikaru 44:03 1 d4 f5
February 2nd 15 02:18 AM
by EJAY Go to last post
8 497
Fatherless chess players... by Offramp
For the whole history of chess only thirteen people have held the World Champion title. Only three of them lived with their fathers in childhood years: Max Euwe, Vasily Vasilyevich Smyslov and Tal. But Tal and Smyslov both were World Champions just for a year. Euwe for 2.
February 1st 15 03:04 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
2 346
4502 Solutions for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Books by [email protected]
List of Solutions Manuals and Test Banks ________________________________________ contact me at : mattosbw1(at)gmail.com Are available a lot of solution manuals/test banks (it is just a partial list). Then if you need one solutions manual/test bank just send me an email. Change the (at) for @
0 427
Dynamic Scoring Simplified by Quadibloc
On my web page, at http://www.quadibloc.com/chess/ch0622.htm I describe how a 12 by 8 chessboard could be packaged with a limited set of pieces suitable to four chess variants and a simplified version of Random Variant Chess. I'm probably going to change the page a little more, because the set as it stands won't let you play Courier Chess - and I think that a variant based on
January 29th 15 11:39 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
2 338
Games in the Golden Gate Open January 18-19, 2015 by samsloan
1.g4 d5 2.Bg2 e5 3.c4 d4 4.d3 Nc6 5.e4 Bb4+ 6.Nd2 Nge7 7.a3 Bxd2+ 8.Bxd2 a5 9.h3 Ng6 10.Nf3 a4 11.O-O Bd7 12.Qc2 h5 13.g5 Na5 14.Rae1 Nb3 15.Kh2 Nxd2 16.Qxd2 Nf4 17.Rg1 Ng6 18.Qb4 b6 19.Rc1 c5 20.Qd2 Qe7 21.Rcf1 Nf4 22.Kg3 h4+ 23.Kh2 Qe6 24.Rh1 Nxh3 25.Nxe5 Qxe5+ 26.f4 Nxf4 27.Qxf4 Qxf4+ 28.Rxf4 Rh5 29.Rhf1 Be6 30.g6 Ra7 31..Bh3 Bxh3 32.gxf7+ Kf8 33.Kxh3 Re7 34.R1f2 Rh7 35.Rf5 Re6 36.R2f4 g6...
January 28th 15 04:17 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 414
Caption Competition #35: It's Soccerball! by Offramp
Let's have another Caption Competition! http://en.chessbase.com/Portals/4/files/news/2015/misc/alinawijkpics07.jpg Provide a witty caption to that picture in 500 words or less and you could win a set of 3 surgical wheelchair-enabled steps. PLUS if you respond within the next ten minutes you'll be eligible for a copy of my out-of-print autobiography, "Bikes Babes Bombs Bullets...
January 28th 15 01:02 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 317
Chess books for learner? by [email protected]
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 at 4:28:56 AM UTC-7, Peter Percival wrote: Chess book recommendations for a learner please! _ It might be a good idea to consider learning from software. _ http://www.theweekinchess.com/john-watson-reviews/john-watson-book-review-114-more-on-electronic-publishing _ http://www.uschess.org/content/view/12291/719
0 294
The origins of modern chess: Renaissance Europe by raylopez99
Title says it all. Background below. RL On Saturday, November 8, 2014 7:40:09 AM UTC+8, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote: But his greatest achievement has been that he has single- handedly made chess popular as a sport in a nation of over 100 million cricket crazy citizens. The sport which
January 27th 15 08:17 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
4 472
Chess in Movies - First Spaceship on Venus by [email protected]
I was watching (via Mystery Science Theater 3000) the movie First Spaceship on Venus, and was surprised to find a very realistic chess scene; it had chess pieces and everything! The brilliant chess player had met his match in a robotic player, and we saw the end of one game. I was a bit perplexed as to how the robot would win, since it had only a bishop and a king; I somehow overlooked the move...
January 27th 15 08:07 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
5 525
Staunton pattern of chessmen by John Townsend[_2_]
"Nathaniel Cook" registered the Staunton pattern of chessmen as an ornamental design in March 1849. A colour representation of the design (no. 58607) is to be found at the National Archives in Kew (BT 43/57). "The Oxford Companion to Chess" (Hooper & Whyld, 1st edn., 1984, p. 327) contains the following: "STAUNTON CHESSMEN, the standard pattern of chessmen designed around 1835 by...
January 27th 15 01:04 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
2 456
Rooks and Towers / Why President Bush refused to play chess ... by Quadibloc
On Sunday, December 23, 2001 at 6:32:16 AM UTC-7, Enrico Rey wrote: But does this 'joke' make any sense for Americans? It would not make any sense - and, if it were understood, it would be highly offensive. So I think your source is mistaken. John Savard
January 27th 15 12:57 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
0 291
Chess books for learner? by Paul
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:28:56 PM UTC+1, Peter Percival wrote: Chess book recommendations for a learner please! Not enough info. In particular, we need to know if the learner is a child or an adult. Presumably "learner" means total beginner here -- someone who needs to know the rules? Paul Epstein
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
10 685
KG Variation by Phil Innes
I am out of my book at move 7, and Black didn't play well, but what is this variation, and what should black do instead? White: Chess One 2202 Black: Barclays 1747 Correspondence game, Jan 2015 The 'wisdom' about playing the King's Gambit is 'never back down', so here is the 'kitchen sink' attack, an unofficial variation, and, to mix metaphors, welcome to the Wild West. 1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4
January 23rd 15 04:35 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
0 257
77th Tata Steel Chess Tournament: 9 - 25 January 2015 in Wijk aan Zee by Phil Innes
Participants of Tata Steel Masters Name - Country - Rating - Position GM Carlsen, Magnus NOR 2862 1 GM Caruana, Fabiano ITA 2820 2 GM Aronian, Levon ARM 2797 6 GM Giri, Anish NED 2784 7 GM So, Wesley USA 2762 10 GM Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime FRA 2757 13
January 23rd 15 04:27 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
3 402
Rinvolucri beats an IM in a 4NCL game by Paul
Arthur Rinvolucri impressed Jon Speelman by beating an IM in a 4NCL game. But how much of a David/Goliath act is this? What sort of info is there on Rinvolucri. I can't find anything on him at all. What is his BCF? Thanks, Paul
January 17th 15 01:08 AM
by Andy Walker[_3_] Go to last post
1 304
Hasting 2014/15 by Phil Innes
A round 3 ding-dong 1 : Eames, Robert S 0 Pickersgill, Adrian O 1 e4 d6
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 4th 15 10:17 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
15 589
Magnus Carlsen - Viswanathan Anand 2014 Re-Match for the WorldChess Championship new book published today by chessparrot
On Friday, December 19, 2014 6:01:38 PM UTC, samsloan wrote: Magnus Carlsen - Viswanathan Anand 2014 Re-Match for the World Chess Championship by Raymond Keene has just been published today. It has 202 pages and more diagrams than pages. Published by Ishi Press ISBN 4871877523 Available from Amazon and from bookstores around the world. http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871877523 This...
January 1st 15 02:28 AM
by 52%[_2_] Go to last post
1 330
Pan Am by Phil Innes
Good Game by Ray Robson Kyron W Griffith 02:18 1 Ray Robson 09:31
December 29th 14 08:02 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
5 382
Post New Thread