Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
What happened to the Yugoslav Chess Team?? by samsloan
Vini Zvani Pu Winnie-the-Pooh in Croatian and Bosnian A Translation of A. A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh Translated by Luka Semenović Winnie-the-Pooh is the most popular children's book in the world and in Croatia and Bosnia. Croatian is a language read and spoken by six million people in Croatia. It is also spoken in Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro and Austria. Bosnian is spoken by 1.5 million...
September 18th 17 12:55 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 168
Program to solve Queens Puzzle, win $1 mn by Offramp
It's not worth doing for one dollar.
September 14th 17 04:33 PM
by Evanoff Go to last post
1 209
The Chessplayer's Style by M Winther[_2_]
About chess player typology. Read the article he http://mlwi.magix.net/bg/playstyle1.htm (http://www.two-paths.com/bg/playstyle1.htm) Mats Winther
September 6th 17 07:25 AM
by M Winther[_2_] Go to last post
0 179
Fundamental Chess Endings to pgn project by [email protected]
בתאריך יום ראשון, 8 בספטמבר 2002 בשעה 21:38:42 UTC+3, מאת john: Hi, Anyone remember the Polgar project. I intend to do something similar with the book Fundamental Chess Endings by Karsten Muller and Frank Lamprecht. For those unfamiliar with the idea what is involved is as follows. 1. You need to own the book this solves any breach of copyright laws. The...
August 29th 17 09:12 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 274
Relocation variants - rearranging the initial array by M Winther[_2_]
Relocation variants - different ways of rearranging the initial array. The rules are like standard chess except that the players may, before play begins, swap places of the king + queen and another piece except the rooks. The castling rules are simple and derive from Chess960. King and rook end up on their usual squares. The only difference is that the king can make longer leaps than usual...
August 25th 17 08:12 AM
by M Winther[_2_] Go to last post
0 176
Barefoot GM? by [email protected]
Approx 20 to 30 years ago, I remember reading about a strong GM who played barefoot. Does anyone know who he was? I was surprised that I couldn't google this. Thanks for your help.
July 23rd 17 10:41 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 352
Chess by [email protected]
Go for chess. Definitely most skillful game. Or go if it's still little skill.
July 19th 17 04:30 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 226
Hardwa how does spyware work? At a chess board? by raylopez99
Reposting this from a forum on computer hardware to see if anybody here has an answer. -RL Hardwa how does spyware work? At a chess board? The scenario is this: chess player uses some hardware to transmit moves during real time to cheat. See this for background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borislav_Ivanov Here are my questions: 1/ how? First generation chess cheaters used two people:...
July 19th 17 03:58 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 176
Interesting Interview with Chess Master by Offramp
Interview with Von Bardeleben in 1895. The source is "The Sketch" newspaper of Wednesday 14th August 1895: "A CHESS CHAMPION. The chess-player is not particularly familiar to the public except on such rare occasions as the tournament which is now being played at Hastings, in which Herr Bardeleben is taking part. "When did you begin to play chess?" asked a Sketch representative. Mein Herr thought...
July 16th 17 06:45 AM
by William Hyde Go to last post
2 240
Sensational News: A previously unknown woman is on the brink ofwinning the World Open Chess Championship. by samsloan
Sensational News: A previously unknown woman is on the brink of winning the World Open Chess Championship. No woman has ever done this before or even come close. Moreover, she is only 17. Zhansaya Abdumalik is from Kazakstan. She defeated several grandmasters. She is playing on Board One and is now tied for the lead. She has the advantage in her last round game. If she wins this last round game...
July 16th 17 12:24 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
6 297
A Short, 17-move Draw. by Offramp
Both these players are rated above 1800. Do you see anything unusual in the way the game ended?
July 14th 17 07:46 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
2 264
The Flanders Panel by [email protected]
Andy Walker just put up a retrograde puzzle The most complex retrograde puzzle I know of is from The Flanders Panel, a novel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. The chess puzzle accompanies the mystery of the painting. Anyway, I wonder if people know of this puzzle, and Taylor Kingston once told me that the chess puzzle had a flaw, albeit, he didn't know what it is. Cordially, Phil Innes
June 28th 17 12:47 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
5 300
Checkless chess by Quadibloc
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 3:16:07 PM UTC-6, Paul wrote: In checkless chess, what happens if a player has moves available which would be legal in normal chess, but all such moves check without checkmating. Is it then stalemate? Looking at A. S. M. Dickins' famous work, I find that "A Fairy Mate is nearly always required" in Checkless Chess or Prohibition Chess as it is also called. So...
June 23rd 17 11:58 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
0 190
Smyslov Botvinnik rematch question by EJAY
I have always wondered why Smyslov (and Tal for that matter) were not granted re matches as defeated World Champions?
June 1st 17 06:02 AM
by EJAY Go to last post
8 532
Highest ELO performance by Frank Groe
Salut, Kasparow owned the highest ELO score by 2851 between July 1999 und January 2000. Now Topalow plays a great tournament and reaches at the moment an ELO performance over 3100, but what was the highest ELO performance (!) ever reached? Does anybody know? Regards, Frank
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 25th 17 05:54 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
34 1,907
An Interview with Spassky by Offramp
Why did Botvinnik eat his championship trophy? Which three chess players did Fischer invite to his funeral? Which Tom Jones song did Spassky and Fischer sing in Budapest? https://www.chess.com/blog/Spektrowski/boris-spassky-2016-interview That is a blog, so the text is likely to disappear. So here is the entire interview. ****START**** This interview was conducted by Yuri Golyshak and Sergei...
April 29th 17 12:12 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
1 311
Grenke by [email protected]
Round 1 Grenke White Hou Black Caruana 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bb5 Nf6 4 O-O Nxe4 5 Re1 Nd6
April 23rd 17 03:38 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
2 368
US Championship by [email protected]
Round 2 results Open Section Caruana, Fabiano – Nakamura, Hikaru ½-½ Kamsky, Gata – Akobian, Varuzhan 0-1 Naroditsky, Daniel – Zherebukh, Yaroslav ½-½ Shabalov, Alexander – Onischuk, Alexander 0-1 Shankland, Samuel – So, Wesley ½-½ Xiong, Jeffery – Robson, Ray ½-½
April 11th 17 09:58 PM
by Rainer[_2_] Go to last post
5 322
Puzzle by Andy Walker[_3_]
A friend showed me the following little chess puzzle: From the standard starting position, remove the BRa8 and the WPe2. This is the position after White's 8th move. What were the first 7 moves? Enjoy! -- Andy Walker,
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 10th 17 07:06 PM
by Ken Blake[_3_] Go to last post
17 585
A COMPLETE RECORD OF ALL CHESS CHESS GAMES EVER PLAYED by Offramp
599,965,729,008,598 Games A wonderful database.
April 9th 17 03:33 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
2 308
Post New Thread