Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
A Defeat Which Could Not Be Forgotten by [email protected]
I am going to make a series of posts in this thread based on my contracting with Mark Taimanov to illustrate a game which he had lost — this was a series hosted by the now defunct Chessville. I'll put up the article as it was, breaking it into sections to follow the natural drama. Taimanov and I shared an intermediary translator, or actually bunch of translators, principal of which was the late...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
10 452
Magnus Carlsen by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Anyone know what other World Champion had a short fuse? Magnus gets mad pretty quick and doesn't care who's around to see. EZoto
February 21st 17 01:22 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 253
The first release of CGR is there! by Benoit St-Jean
For those interested, the first release of the CGR database is available! Details he https://chessgamesrepository.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/cgr-20170219-full/
February 20th 17 06:41 AM
by Benoit St-Jean Go to last post
0 204
Goodbye Steel by Offramp
The Tata Steel tournament starts tomorrow in the deathly dull town of Wijk Aan Zee. This tournament has had many different names since it began in 1938, so I always think of it as the Wijk aan Zee tournament. Mind you, Wijk aan Zee is a stupid name for an amazingly dull and quiet town, because Wijk means Town, so that Wijk aan Zee simply means Town on the Sea, which is really stupid and a...
February 18th 17 10:15 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
2 251
Adjustment to the way the piece drop rule is enforced by Paul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SotLa7akTwo This video features games which are lost through a touchmove or piece drop violation. In important games where one arbiter is available to watch throughout, I don't understand why players are being forced to snitch on their opponents. This is terrible for player-player relationships -- there's already enough animosity as it is.
February 18th 17 10:13 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 239
The REAL Sam Sloan REALLY lambasted by the REAL Edward Winter forFAKE book!! by raylopez99
On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 5:10:43 PM UTC-5, Offramp wrote: It sounds like a REAL disaster!! Plagerism is rather common. Besides the former US vice president Biden, the historian Stephen E. Ambrose, now deceased, was accused of wholesale lifting of passages from others' work. BTW, do you believe in copyrighting chess games? Here's how that would work: the actual moves are not copyright...
February 18th 17 10:11 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 151
Stalemate counts as a draw? by Peter Percival
Does stalemate count as a draw? -- Do, as a concession to my poor wits, Lord Darlington, just explain to me what you really mean. I think I had better not, Duchess. Nowadays to be intelligible is to be found out. -- Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
24 670
Backgammon Tactics by Harold Thorne Review by Sam Sloan by Quadibloc
On Monday, July 30, 2012 at 11:34:10 AM UTC-6, samsloan wrote: The biggest advantage to backgammon is you have a chance to win. A player can study chess for his entire life and still have no chance at all, not even one chance in a million, to defeat a grandmaster at chess. However, a player of only average ability would, after reading and studying this book alone, have some chance to...
January 16th 17 07:28 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
0 202
E. M. Antonionadi by Quadibloc
In an astronomy newsgroup, I saw a post referring to this Chess article by Edward Winter. http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/antoniadi.html Unfortunately, while the two annotated versions of the famous game he won should be in the public domain, their sources aren't online. John Savard
January 11th 17 02:52 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
0 198
London Chess Classic 2016 by [email protected]
Category 2 event average 2192 rating Anyone else watching it? Round 3 So with Black has tempted Nakamura into a losing position at move 24, even though it looks like this was home-prep by Nakamura. still playing Caruana v Anand Kramnik v Topalov
4 272
W CH goes to tiebreakers by [email protected]
World Chess Championship heads to tiebreakers The World Chess Championship is still left unfinished after 12 games between reigning champion Magnus Carlsen and Sergey Karjakin. The contest moves into the tiebreakers segment which starts on Wednesday. Neither reigning champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway nor Russian grandmaster Sergei Karyakin has claimed the world chess crown after 12 matches,...
December 9th 16 05:14 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
4 258
Next world championship by Offramp
I think play in recent world championship matches has become too technical. Players are better than in the 1930s and shouldn't be given so much time to think. Time control is currently "for full time control games, 40 moves in 100 minutes, then 50 extra minutes at move 40, and 15 extra minutes at move 60, with 30 seconds increment per move throughout. The player with the best score after 12...
December 6th 16 02:11 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
5 281
Incredible chess lookalike by Offramp
Another incredible chess lookalike! I have just seen a picture of Aussie honkey-tonk joanna-basher David Helfgott. http://www.amckinnon.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/David-Helfgott-June-09-colour-pic-4-credit-Wendy-Martin.jpg Which famous GM do YOU think he looks like?
December 5th 16 03:45 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
4 270
how did you proceed with the move ? by Sylvia
Hiya all. this article may be used such as regional shippers like LaserShip or new local platforms such as UberRush or new delivery or pick-up requests. ; Notwithstanding that it might be better to define the pretreatment of the postman with collaborative contributions; I should also mention that this link is worth following http://www.ups.com;
December 5th 16 09:00 AM
by Sylvia Go to last post
0 165
management by betatwelve
Hiya all. we should validate the outsourcing of the postman with brand-new innovations before evaluating the move and the connection with the postman remote surveillance Thanks --- L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast. https://www.avast.com/antivirus
December 5th 16 08:51 AM
by betatwelve Go to last post
0 198
Mark Taimanov by [email protected]
Mark Taimanov died today. I interviewed Mark once upon a time, and he also annotated a game he lost — it was game 3 against Fischer. He spent 70 minutes on one move, the longest in his career he said, but didn't find the right move. It obsessed him and over the years he tried to find the answer 'not even super-computers could find it', he said, 'and not even Kasparov.' But he did eventually,...
6 269
Not interesting enough WCh as platform for cheszzzzzzz by [email protected]
Its game 7 and another draw likely even though Karjakin has a slight edge after 1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. e3 a6 5. Bd3 dxc4 6. Bxc4 e6 7. Nf3 c5 8. O-O b5 9. Be2 Bb7 10. dxc5 Nc6 11. Nd2 Bxc5 12. Nde4 Nxe4 13. Nxe4 Be7 14. b3 Nb4 15. Bf3 O-O 16. Ba3 Rc8 17. Nf6+ Bxf6 18. Bxb7 Bxa1 19. Bxb4 Bf6 20. Bxf8 Qxd1 21. Rxd1 Rxf8 22. Bxa6 b4 23. Rc1 g6 * The thing of it is, this is hardly enough...
7 337
Playing higher rated opponents by Eliyahu
Bs"d I think it is very unwise to play higher rated opponents. That is something for masochists, who enjoy losing. I'm not a masochist. So I avoid higher rated opponents like the plague.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 30th 16 12:49 PM
by Anonymous Remailer (austria) Go to last post
10 689
Updated Version of Random Variant Chess by Quadibloc
My web page at http://www.quadibloc.com/chess/ch0602.htm now contains a new version of Random Variant Chess. Random Variant Chess is intended as an alternative to Chess 960, also known as Fischer Random Chess. Instead of a scrambled array on an 8x8 board with only the conventional pieces,
November 24th 16 03:50 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
1 187
Touchmove blunders -- etiquette by Paul
I've seen a few touch move blunders by great players. I'm disappointed and surprised that, in all the examples I've seen, the player who made the losing touch tried to move another piece and only relented to accept the blunder after the opponent protested or the arbiter intervened. GMs similarly attempted to retract unfortunate releases, too. I would expect a player who has touched a piece...
November 20th 16 05:53 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
4 276
Post New Thread