Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Backgammon Tactics by Harold Thorne Review by Sam Sloan by Quadibloc
On Monday, July 30, 2012 at 11:34:10 AM UTC-6, samsloan wrote: The biggest advantage to backgammon is you have a chance to win. A player can study chess for his entire life and still have no chance at all, not even one chance in a million, to defeat a grandmaster at chess. However, a player of only average ability would, after reading and studying this book alone, have some chance to...
January 16th 17 07:28 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
0 183
E. M. Antonionadi by Quadibloc
In an astronomy newsgroup, I saw a post referring to this Chess article by Edward Winter. http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/antoniadi.html Unfortunately, while the two annotated versions of the famous game he won should be in the public domain, their sources aren't online. John Savard
January 11th 17 02:52 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
0 176
London Chess Classic 2016 by [email protected]
Category 2 event average 2192 rating Anyone else watching it? Round 3 So with Black has tempted Nakamura into a losing position at move 24, even though it looks like this was home-prep by Nakamura. still playing Caruana v Anand Kramnik v Topalov
4 244
W CH goes to tiebreakers by [email protected]
World Chess Championship heads to tiebreakers The World Chess Championship is still left unfinished after 12 games between reigning champion Magnus Carlsen and Sergey Karjakin. The contest moves into the tiebreakers segment which starts on Wednesday. Neither reigning champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway nor Russian grandmaster Sergei Karyakin has claimed the world chess crown after 12 matches,...
December 9th 16 05:14 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
4 229
Next world championship by Offramp
I think play in recent world championship matches has become too technical. Players are better than in the 1930s and shouldn't be given so much time to think. Time control is currently "for full time control games, 40 moves in 100 minutes, then 50 extra minutes at move 40, and 15 extra minutes at move 60, with 30 seconds increment per move throughout. The player with the best score after 12...
December 6th 16 02:11 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
5 242
Incredible chess lookalike by Offramp
Another incredible chess lookalike! I have just seen a picture of Aussie honkey-tonk joanna-basher David Helfgott. http://www.amckinnon.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/David-Helfgott-June-09-colour-pic-4-credit-Wendy-Martin.jpg Which famous GM do YOU think he looks like?
December 5th 16 03:45 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
4 239
how did you proceed with the move ? by Sylvia
Hiya all. this article may be used such as regional shippers like LaserShip or new local platforms such as UberRush or new delivery or pick-up requests. ; Notwithstanding that it might be better to define the pretreatment of the postman with collaborative contributions; I should also mention that this link is worth following http://www.ups.com;
December 5th 16 09:00 AM
by Sylvia Go to last post
0 146
management by betatwelve
Hiya all. we should validate the outsourcing of the postman with brand-new innovations before evaluating the move and the connection with the postman remote surveillance Thanks --- L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast. https://www.avast.com/antivirus
December 5th 16 08:51 AM
by betatwelve Go to last post
0 181
Mark Taimanov by [email protected]
Mark Taimanov died today. I interviewed Mark once upon a time, and he also annotated a game he lost — it was game 3 against Fischer. He spent 70 minutes on one move, the longest in his career he said, but didn't find the right move. It obsessed him and over the years he tried to find the answer 'not even super-computers could find it', he said, 'and not even Kasparov.' But he did eventually,...
6 232
Not interesting enough WCh as platform for cheszzzzzzz by [email protected]
Its game 7 and another draw likely even though Karjakin has a slight edge after 1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. e3 a6 5. Bd3 dxc4 6. Bxc4 e6 7. Nf3 c5 8. O-O b5 9. Be2 Bb7 10. dxc5 Nc6 11. Nd2 Bxc5 12. Nde4 Nxe4 13. Nxe4 Be7 14. b3 Nb4 15. Bf3 O-O 16. Ba3 Rc8 17. Nf6+ Bxf6 18. Bxb7 Bxa1 19. Bxb4 Bf6 20. Bxf8 Qxd1 21. Rxd1 Rxf8 22. Bxa6 b4 23. Rc1 g6 * The thing of it is, this is hardly enough...
7 302
Playing higher rated opponents by Eliyahu
Bs"d I think it is very unwise to play higher rated opponents. That is something for masochists, who enjoy losing. I'm not a masochist. So I avoid higher rated opponents like the plague.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 30th 16 12:49 PM
by Anonymous Remailer (austria) Go to last post
10 622
Updated Version of Random Variant Chess by Quadibloc
My web page at http://www.quadibloc.com/chess/ch0602.htm now contains a new version of Random Variant Chess. Random Variant Chess is intended as an alternative to Chess 960, also known as Fischer Random Chess. Instead of a scrambled array on an 8x8 board with only the conventional pieces,
November 24th 16 03:50 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
1 172
Touchmove blunders -- etiquette by Paul
I've seen a few touch move blunders by great players. I'm disappointed and surprised that, in all the examples I've seen, the player who made the losing touch tried to move another piece and only relented to accept the blunder after the opponent protested or the arbiter intervened. GMs similarly attempted to retract unfortunate releases, too. I would expect a player who has touched a piece...
November 20th 16 05:53 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
4 255
wolrd champ game 5 in progress by [email protected]
Carlsen missed winning chances in game 3 and 4. He will have white in game 5 but black in game 6 and 7. So he needs to make something happen today. Carlsen – Karjakin (game 5) 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 We have an Italian today! 3…Bc5 4. 0-0 Nf6 5. d3 0-0 6. a4 Aronian defeated Tomashevsky with this line. 6…d6 7. c3 a6 Now we transpose back into a more popular line of the Italian.
5 238
World Chess Champion has played the Trump Attack by samsloan
In honor of our next president, the World Chess Champion has played the Trump Attack. The Trump attack goes 1. d4 Nf6 2. Bg5 Usually this is followed by 2. ... Ne4 3. Bh4 but instead the challenger played 2. ... d5 Many traditional players find the Trump Attack objectionable but apparently the World Chess Champion wanted to play the Trump Attack to grab his opponent by the pussy. Sam Sloan
November 11th 16 11:21 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 171
The meaning of a "forced move" by Paul
I would think that a "forced move" means any move such that playing anything different to it would be clearly wrong. However, suppose that a player has a position which can't be lost but could either be won or drawn. Suppose also that there is only one move which keeps winning chances alive. I would call this unique winning attempt "forced". But I've been told (by someone whose name I don't...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 11th 16 11:07 AM
by The Horny Goat Go to last post
26 960
73rd World Chess Championship, Carlsen v Karjakin by Offramp
On the 9th November the Swede Magnet Carcrash will begin the defence of his title against Mr Vlad the Karjacker at 1102, Nelson Mandela Blvd, Bronx River, Bronx New York. It is scheduled to last 12 games. I reckon it'll be 2-1 to Carcrash with 9 draws.
November 11th 16 05:15 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
1 181
Announcing future mates by Paul
Is it legal to announce mate in n? For example, is it legal to make a move that will force checkmate in three moves or less and say "mate in three"? Some might ask "But why on earth would anyone want to do that?" There is actually a good competitive reason to do this in my opinion. If you think you've got a definite checkmate, correct technique is to go through the lines again and again and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 11th 16 02:22 AM
by The Horny Goat Go to last post
13 443
Two McFarland books by Offramp
That crazy publishing house McFarland has bought out another niche book: "H.E. Bird, A Chess Biography with 1,198 Games by Hans Renette, the male partner of Hans Ree. Foreword by Richard Forster. Print ISBN: 978-0-7864-7578-0 Ebook ISBN: 978-1-4766-2462-4. 85 photos, 1,198 games, 376 diagrams, tables, appendices, notes, bibliography, indexes!! 608pp. Price, only 75 buckaroos!! Buy...
November 5th 16 06:44 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 207
Relocation (swap) chess by M Winther[_2_]
An alternative to Chess960 is to allow players to relocate (swap) pieces on the first row before play begins: http://mlwi.magix.net/bg/relocationvariants.htm The various relocation methods allow the players optionally to relocate king and/or queen before the play begins, whilst retaining the castling rights (the rooks remain in their position). The players may abstain from this should they...
November 2nd 16 04:48 AM
by M Winther[_2_] Go to last post
0 155
Post New Thread