Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Mark Taimanov by [email protected]
Mark Taimanov died today. I interviewed Mark once upon a time, and he also annotated a game he lost — it was game 3 against Fischer. He spent 70 minutes on one move, the longest in his career he said, but didn't find the right move. It obsessed him and over the years he tried to find the answer 'not even super-computers could find it', he said, 'and not even Kasparov.' But he did eventually,...
6 175
Not interesting enough WCh as platform for cheszzzzzzz by [email protected]
Its game 7 and another draw likely even though Karjakin has a slight edge after 1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. e3 a6 5. Bd3 dxc4 6. Bxc4 e6 7. Nf3 c5 8. O-O b5 9. Be2 Bb7 10. dxc5 Nc6 11. Nd2 Bxc5 12. Nde4 Nxe4 13. Nxe4 Be7 14. b3 Nb4 15. Bf3 O-O 16. Ba3 Rc8 17. Nf6+ Bxf6 18. Bxb7 Bxa1 19. Bxb4 Bf6 20. Bxf8 Qxd1 21. Rxd1 Rxf8 22. Bxa6 b4 23. Rc1 g6 * The thing of it is, this is hardly enough...
7 221
Playing higher rated opponents by Eliyahu
Bs"d I think it is very unwise to play higher rated opponents. That is something for masochists, who enjoy losing. I'm not a masochist. So I avoid higher rated opponents like the plague.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 30th 16 12:49 PM
by Anonymous Remailer (austria) Go to last post
10 508
Updated Version of Random Variant Chess by Quadibloc
My web page at http://www.quadibloc.com/chess/ch0602.htm now contains a new version of Random Variant Chess. Random Variant Chess is intended as an alternative to Chess 960, also known as Fischer Random Chess. Instead of a scrambled array on an 8x8 board with only the conventional pieces,
November 24th 16 03:50 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
1 137
Touchmove blunders -- etiquette by Paul
I've seen a few touch move blunders by great players. I'm disappointed and surprised that, in all the examples I've seen, the player who made the losing touch tried to move another piece and only relented to accept the blunder after the opponent protested or the arbiter intervened. GMs similarly attempted to retract unfortunate releases, too. I would expect a player who has touched a piece...
November 20th 16 05:53 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
4 198
wolrd champ game 5 in progress by [email protected]
Carlsen missed winning chances in game 3 and 4. He will have white in game 5 but black in game 6 and 7. So he needs to make something happen today. Carlsen – Karjakin (game 5) 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 We have an Italian today! 3…Bc5 4. 0-0 Nf6 5. d3 0-0 6. a4 Aronian defeated Tomashevsky with this line. 6…d6 7. c3 a6 Now we transpose back into a more popular line of the Italian.
5 185
World Chess Champion has played the Trump Attack by samsloan
In honor of our next president, the World Chess Champion has played the Trump Attack. The Trump attack goes 1. d4 Nf6 2. Bg5 Usually this is followed by 2. ... Ne4 3. Bh4 but instead the challenger played 2. ... d5 Many traditional players find the Trump Attack objectionable but apparently the World Chess Champion wanted to play the Trump Attack to grab his opponent by the pussy. Sam Sloan
November 11th 16 11:21 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 140
The meaning of a "forced move" by Paul
I would think that a "forced move" means any move such that playing anything different to it would be clearly wrong. However, suppose that a player has a position which can't be lost but could either be won or drawn. Suppose also that there is only one move which keeps winning chances alive. I would call this unique winning attempt "forced". But I've been told (by someone whose name I don't...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 11th 16 11:07 AM
by The Horny Goat Go to last post
26 730
73rd World Chess Championship, Carlsen v Karjakin by Offramp
On the 9th November the Swede Magnet Carcrash will begin the defence of his title against Mr Vlad the Karjacker at 1102, Nelson Mandela Blvd, Bronx River, Bronx New York. It is scheduled to last 12 games. I reckon it'll be 2-1 to Carcrash with 9 draws.
November 11th 16 05:15 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
1 143
Announcing future mates by Paul
Is it legal to announce mate in n? For example, is it legal to make a move that will force checkmate in three moves or less and say "mate in three"? Some might ask "But why on earth would anyone want to do that?" There is actually a good competitive reason to do this in my opinion. If you think you've got a definite checkmate, correct technique is to go through the lines again and again and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 11th 16 02:22 AM
by The Horny Goat Go to last post
13 306
Two McFarland books by Offramp
That crazy publishing house McFarland has bought out another niche book: "H.E. Bird, A Chess Biography with 1,198 Games by Hans Renette, the male partner of Hans Ree. Foreword by Richard Forster. Print ISBN: 978-0-7864-7578-0 Ebook ISBN: 978-1-4766-2462-4. 85 photos, 1,198 games, 376 diagrams, tables, appendices, notes, bibliography, indexes!! 608pp. Price, only 75 buckaroos!! Buy...
November 5th 16 06:44 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 165
Relocation (swap) chess by M Winther[_2_]
An alternative to Chess960 is to allow players to relocate (swap) pieces on the first row before play begins: http://mlwi.magix.net/bg/relocationvariants.htm The various relocation methods allow the players optionally to relocate king and/or queen before the play begins, whilst retaining the castling rights (the rooks remain in their position). The players may abstain from this should they...
November 2nd 16 04:48 AM
by M Winther[_2_] Go to last post
0 122
We all know Kasparov is still a world-class blitz player but is hisopening play a strength or a weakness? by Paul
I've been debating this point with Phil Innes who says that Kasparov's particular strength is in the opening. I said that, on the contrary, his opening play is a weakness and that he's good in spite of this. He then said that GMs agree with him. Well, Caruana agrees with me. This is what Caruana said: "He’s still a very strong player. I don’t think that really came as a surprise to...
November 1st 16 03:10 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
5 276
List of Authors Banned or Blacklisted by USCF Sales by Sam Sloan
I have posted on Wikipedia a List of Authors Banned or Blacklisted by USCF Sales. It is a very distinguished list, which many authors would aspire to be on. However, the list is undoubtedly incomplete. I would welcome any additions to the list. For example, I am not sure whether Bobby Fischer is on the list or not. Here is the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
118 3,558
Lasker Schlechter +2 clause. by Offramp
This is a note, in fine print, at http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?tid=54100 "Since the final conditions for the match have never been published, there are rumors that Schlechter had to win the match by a score of +2 to become world champion. A +2 clause existed in the conditions issued by both players on 3 December 1908 (Wiener Schachzeitung, December 1908, p. 376. In ANNO /...
October 27th 16 05:09 PM
by The Horny Goat Go to last post
3 149
US chess star won't go to championships in Iran: 'I will NOT weara hijab' by Quadibloc
On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 9:19:44 AM UTC-6, Aramis Gunton wrote: When in Rome. You want to play chess in the Islamic heaven of Iran you wear a ****ing bag!!!! Nothing wrong with asking people to respect the laws of countries with different cultures.
October 27th 16 05:05 PM
by The Horny Goat Go to last post
2 145
Touch Move Rule in Chinese Chess by samsloan
In the last round of the World Championship of Xiangqi in Munich, Germany in 2015 I made a horrific blunder. In a winning position, I moved a rook off my back rank, allowing my opponent a simple back rank mate with his cannon.. I realized I had made this mistake as soon as I made the move, but as my fingers had left the piece it was too late so instead I stared blankly at the board hoping that my...
October 17th 16 03:43 PM
by Radrook Go to last post
1 241
Hou Yifan -- Nigel Short prize money? by Paul
Does anyone know the prize money for the ongoing Hou -- Short match? Thanks. I don't know how to assess the first game. Should Hou be pleased for drawing with Black, or should Short be pleased for having an edge for most of the game? It depends how close Short came to winning, I suppose. Paul
October 17th 16 12:05 PM
by Paul Go to last post
0 144
Millionaire chess by Paul
Why did the Millionaire Chess event not attract the elite like Carlsen, Caruana, Karjakin, So, Nakamura etc? (Yes, I know I'm probably leaving some out, and maybe putting the names in an unfortunate order but that's not my point.) I would have thought that the quality of the players is determined by the prize money (which was huge). So why did the elite stay away? Thanks,
October 16th 16 10:26 PM
by Rainer[_2_] Go to last post
3 119
Paul Truong of Cambodia made member of FIDE media body by samsloan
Paul Truong of Cambodia made member of FIDE media body BAKU, AZERBAIJAN 13 September 2016 Paul Truong of Cambodia made member of FIDE media body When FIDE Deputy President Georgios Makropoulos read out a list of FIDE political appointments on September 12, I was surprised to hear the name of Paul Truong of Cambodia being made a member of a FIDE media body. First I thought it must be another Paul...
October 14th 16 02:04 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
2 183
Post New Thread