Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
World Championship in NY City by [email protected]
After months of delay and much scepticism in some quarters that it would ever happen, the company that holds the marketing rights to the world chess championship will announce on Tuesday that the next title match – between the Norwegian world champion Magnus Carlsen and the Russian challenger Sergey Karjakin – will take place in New York in November. The 12-game match will start on 11...
0 218
AS ABOVE SO BELOW Smyslov versus Anand by Offramp
AS ABOVE SO BELOW "Smyslov and Anand only played one game of chess, a draw at Groningen, Holland in 1989. But now that terrestrial encounter is set to be replayed on the celestial stage. Minor planet 5413 Smyslov and Minor planet 4538 Vishyanand are due to collide on Monday, 2nd October 2016. The winner of that encounter goes on to collide with Minor planet 90414 Karpov in the final in March...
August 8th 16 08:30 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 227
Alexander Best Game Prize British Chess Championships 2016 by Paul
Does anyone know which game got the best game prize in the main event at the recent British Chess Championships? The website says that there will be a full report "in the next couple of days" but I'm a bit more impatient than that. N. Pert -- Howell (0-1) round 10 was the best of the games that I saw, but I didn't see very many. "Saw" means played over -- I wasn't at the...
August 7th 16 09:12 AM
by Paul Go to last post
0 232
Why not let Mickey Adams play another GM in his final round? by Paul
In the ongoing British champs, I expected that Michael Adams would be paired against John Emms in the final round. I don't know the exact pairing rules but a common-sense approximation involves the facts that 1) The highest priority is to give the most appropriate pairing to the tournament leader (Adams) 2) The most appropriate opponent for the tournament leader is the highest scoring player who...
August 4th 16 11:01 PM
by Paul Go to last post
0 265
Karpov-Yusupov 1988 by sd
In this game of the URS-ch 1988; Moscow, Karpov uncorked a pawn sacrifice for the long term: 4r2r/pp1nkp1p/2p1b1p1/5q2/2BP4/4QN2/PP3PPP/4RK1R Playing 16. d5! I believe Tal annotated this game heavily in his last book, "Attacking with Mikhail Tal," which is a book I still don't own (unfortunately I can't buy them all! - at least not at once).
August 2nd 16 04:19 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
8 543
Sam Sloan Games in the 2016 World Open by samsloan
1.Nf3 f5 2.g3 Nf6 3.Bg2 d5 4.b3 e6 5.Bb2 Bd6 6.d3 O-O 7.Nbd2 c6 8.O-O Qc7 9..e4 fxe4 10.dxe4 dxe4 11.Ng5 Be5 12.c3 e3 13.fxe3 Bxg3 14.hxg3 Qxg3 15.Ngf3 Nbd7 16.Qe1 Qg6 17.Qh4 b6 18.Ng5 Ne5 19.c4 h6 20.Nge4 Neg4 21.Nxf6+ gxf6 22.Qg3 Bb7 23.Rxf6 Rxf6 24.Bxf6 Qxf6 25.Qxg4+ Kh7 26.Rf1 Qe7 27.Qh5 Qg7 28.Rf7 1-0
5 370
Sam Sloan Candidate for US Congress plays Chinese Chess in Chinatownin New York City by samsloan
Sam Sloan Candidate for US Congress plays Chinese Chess in Chinatown in New York City. https://youtu.be/INUfN_4Y7I4
July 9th 16 07:17 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
6 390
Chesscafé?! -+ by [email protected]
Off-topic to offramp's question: whatever happened to Taylor Kingston!? LOL. RL I wrote to Taylor after he moved to CA. Chess cafe was one of 3 or 4 US based chess sites which had reasonable chess playing articles for mid level players about actually playing chess, plus a forum. The forum had its usual dozen main voices, and they liked what they liked, to such degree that they...
0 220
Opening novelty by Maxime Vachier-Lagrave involving Rg1. by Paul
I heard someone talk about a recent opening novelty in Paris by Maxime Vachier-Lagrave involving Rg1 but couldn't find such a game. Could anyone help? Thanks, Paul
July 8th 16 10:05 PM
by MikeMurray[_2_] Go to last post
4 311
Is this the easiest way to deliver checkmate with King + bishop + knight vs. King by zarkoth
I stubmled across this video on YouTube and I think it's great! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3EqM17jvOc What do you think?
July 7th 16 09:19 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
1 322
Havana 1966, from Europe Echecs by Offramp
ors de mon séjour * Cuba, en février dernier, je rencontrais le premier grand-maître couronné par la FIDE depuis la Révolution, Silvino Garcia, et profitais d’interroger ce témoin sur la prestigieuse Olympiade de 1966. L’Olympiade de La Havane fut la seconde organisée en Amérique, après celle de Buenos Aires 1939. Quelles sont les raisons qui ont permis sa réalisation * Cuba ?...
July 2nd 16 08:19 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 249
Sam Sloan gives Simultaneous Chess Exhibition by samsloan
Sam Sloan, Chess Educator of The Year 2014 at Viking Chess Club https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvjWfTWaLwo Sam Gives Simultaneous Chess Exhibition. Sam won all the games.
June 26th 16 11:28 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
2 301
ChessBase 13 update question by The Horny Goat
I have ChessBase 8 - the current version is 13 and there's a CB 12 - CB 13 update avilable. I do not see any other ChessBase upgrade available for sale anywhere. I've had 3 separate answers when I inquired as to whether the update will do me any good: 1) Yes (this was from a dealer who was 95% sure as a friend of his had successfully upgraded v9 - v13) 2) No - it's only fo r12
June 25th 16 12:52 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 279
Recent Jeopardy! chess clue by [email protected]
Hi, guys. I'm wondering if you can offer some input on a chess clue from the Jeopardy! game show this past Thursday. (If you're not familiar with the game show, this might get a little murky; but I think it's possible to get the gist.) The clue went like this. Category: WHAT IS IT? Clue: THE ALEKHINE DEFENSE The contestant who rang in responded "What is a chess strategy?" Alex ruled the...
June 24th 16 05:02 PM
by The Horny Goat Go to last post
9 426
Too True! by Offramp
‘... he asked for my advice about his son. He was at Cambridge University and, according to the father, dissipating his undoubted talents in all sorts of unrewarding side-issues. He was even writing poetry and as for chess, he had recently taken up problem composing instead of the more solid pursuit of actually playing chess. What, he asked, did I think of chess problems. “A waste of time”,...
June 19th 16 06:16 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
3 319
VIKTOR L KORTSCHNOI DEAD by raylopez99
On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 8:55:03 PM UTC+3, Euclides Zoto wrote: Great player. However he was a Salty person. When you read how he used hate energy to win chess games then you know he wasn't the greatest person to associate with. Many people who knew him say he was a difficult person to deal with. VIKTOR L KORTSCHNOI DEAD...who killed VIKTOR L KORTSCHNOI? RL
June 17th 16 07:32 PM
by Euclides Zoto Go to last post
1 238
Human-unfriendly chess software by Paul
Are there any chess programs that take into account the way humans reason? I would think that whether a move looks "counter-intuitive" could be programmed to some extent. Examples of counter-intuitive moves are sacrifices, moves that move pieces to less active squares, moves that revisit squares that were visited recently etc. All these concepts are readily programmable.. Then, in a losing...
June 17th 16 04:17 PM
by Andy Walker[_3_] Go to last post
8 305
Pawn promotion by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
In the Paris Blitz tournament Nakamura Topalov game, Topalov promoted his pawn on the eighth rank but pressed his clock then put the Queen on the square. Nakamura claimed the game so Topalov lost. I didn't even know a rule like that existed that you have to promote the pawn and put the piece there that is promoted to then push the clock or you forfeit. Anyone know why that rule is there? It...
June 14th 16 03:00 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
4 432
Bohatirchuk: personal memories of Efim Bogoljubov by raylopez99
On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 9:53:07 PM UTC+3, Offramp wrote: " tied for first with Romanowsky in the V Russian Championship of 1927 — ahead of Botvinnik; tied for third with Alatorzev and Werlinski in the VII Russian Championship in 1931, and tied for third with Riumin in the IX Russian Championship in 1934. He is one of the few players with a plus score against Botvinnik — three wins...
June 8th 16 10:30 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 249
VIKTOR L KORTSCHNOI DEAD by raylopez99
On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 2:03:43 PM UTC+3, Offramp wrote: The long chess pilgrimage of Viktor Kortschnoi is over. He played three matches where the winner became World Champion and lost them all. No shirt Shylock. Tell us something we know. But apparently--read between the lines--Kortschnoi, who's name is impossible to find in Chessbase with all the different spellings--was an...
June 8th 16 10:24 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 230
Post New Thread