Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Versatile Pawn by Offramp
In this game the white e-pawn does everything. Double step, single step, left-capture, right-capture, check, en passant and promotion!
September 15th 16 10:30 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 209
Effect of computer cheating scandals on blitz chess by Paul
It occurs to me that it would be far more difficult to computer-cheat at blitz chess (for example 3 mins for each side per game + an extra two seconds per move) than under conventional time limits. Firstly, players stay seated at the board, and secondly most cheating methods would seem to take way too much time to work in blitz. As more and more cheating scandals are uncovered, is that likely to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 13th 16 02:55 PM
by Paul Go to last post
14 525
Bulgaria Expelled from FIDE, the World Chess Federation, Conditionally by samsloan
Bulgaria Expelled from FIDE, the World Chess Federation, Conditionally BAKU, AZERBAIJAN 12 September 2016 In a shocking and apparently unprecedented development, Bulgaria has been expelled from FIDE, the World Chess Federation. This action was based on a report by the FIDE Ethics Commission read into the record by Francois Strydom of the Republic of South Africa and Chairman of the FIDE Ethics...
September 13th 16 03:34 AM
by samsloan Go to last post
1 222
Kosovo* admitted to membership in FIDE, the World Chess Federation by samsloan
Kosovo* admitted to membership in FIDE, the World Chess Federation BAKU, AZERBAIJAN 11 September 2016 At a meeting of the FIDE General Assembly this afternoon, Kosovo* was admitted to membership. However, the resolution admitting to membership specified that an asterick * must be attached to the name of the country. Kosovo declared independence on 17 February 2008. Since then, most of the...
September 12th 16 12:08 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
2 201
Construction problem by Paul
Can anyone give me a position where a player who would be a DMP underdog can double out the opponent? If all the on-roll player's wins are gammons and the losses are all single then the take point is 50% if recube vig is ignored. However, the possibility of backgammons could give a take point of more than 50% if the backgammons factor is more important than the recube vig. I think I've asked...
August 23rd 16 09:32 AM
by Paul Go to last post
1 240
Brilliant finish by Carlsen against So in Paris blitz by Paul
See the diagram puzzle in https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/20/wesley-so-well-placed-to-clinch-grand-tour-after-sinquefield-cup-win "What should he play?" is an unfortunate and unflattering question. I was sure it meant that Carlsen had missed the win. The question should be rather "What did he play?" Impressive, to say the least, to solve this OTB at blitz. Paul
August 20th 16 10:33 AM
by Rainer[_2_] Go to last post
1 330
World Championship of Chinese Chess, Round 8 in Munich Germany by samsloan
World Championship of Chinese Chess, Round 8 in Munich Germany I lost two games to Japanese players. In round 8 I faced a German player. It proved to be an exciting though flawed game. My opponent played some weak moves in the opening and I gained the advantage. However, somehow I lost the thread and he got back into the game. At the end he started trying to win. However, he overlooked a tricky...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 14th 16 03:39 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
16 852
World Championship in NY City by [email protected]
After months of delay and much scepticism in some quarters that it would ever happen, the company that holds the marketing rights to the world chess championship will announce on Tuesday that the next title match – between the Norwegian world champion Magnus Carlsen and the Russian challenger Sergey Karjakin – will take place in New York in November. The 12-game match will start on 11...
0 232
AS ABOVE SO BELOW Smyslov versus Anand by Offramp
AS ABOVE SO BELOW "Smyslov and Anand only played one game of chess, a draw at Groningen, Holland in 1989. But now that terrestrial encounter is set to be replayed on the celestial stage. Minor planet 5413 Smyslov and Minor planet 4538 Vishyanand are due to collide on Monday, 2nd October 2016. The winner of that encounter goes on to collide with Minor planet 90414 Karpov in the final in March...
August 8th 16 08:30 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 241
Alexander Best Game Prize British Chess Championships 2016 by Paul
Does anyone know which game got the best game prize in the main event at the recent British Chess Championships? The website says that there will be a full report "in the next couple of days" but I'm a bit more impatient than that. N. Pert -- Howell (0-1) round 10 was the best of the games that I saw, but I didn't see very many. "Saw" means played over -- I wasn't at the...
August 7th 16 09:12 AM
by Paul Go to last post
0 262
Why not let Mickey Adams play another GM in his final round? by Paul
In the ongoing British champs, I expected that Michael Adams would be paired against John Emms in the final round. I don't know the exact pairing rules but a common-sense approximation involves the facts that 1) The highest priority is to give the most appropriate pairing to the tournament leader (Adams) 2) The most appropriate opponent for the tournament leader is the highest scoring player who...
August 4th 16 11:01 PM
by Paul Go to last post
0 281
Karpov-Yusupov 1988 by sd
In this game of the URS-ch 1988; Moscow, Karpov uncorked a pawn sacrifice for the long term: 4r2r/pp1nkp1p/2p1b1p1/5q2/2BP4/4QN2/PP3PPP/4RK1R Playing 16. d5! I believe Tal annotated this game heavily in his last book, "Attacking with Mikhail Tal," which is a book I still don't own (unfortunately I can't buy them all! - at least not at once).
August 2nd 16 04:19 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
8 564
Sam Sloan Games in the 2016 World Open by samsloan
1.Nf3 f5 2.g3 Nf6 3.Bg2 d5 4.b3 e6 5.Bb2 Bd6 6.d3 O-O 7.Nbd2 c6 8.O-O Qc7 9..e4 fxe4 10.dxe4 dxe4 11.Ng5 Be5 12.c3 e3 13.fxe3 Bxg3 14.hxg3 Qxg3 15.Ngf3 Nbd7 16.Qe1 Qg6 17.Qh4 b6 18.Ng5 Ne5 19.c4 h6 20.Nge4 Neg4 21.Nxf6+ gxf6 22.Qg3 Bb7 23.Rxf6 Rxf6 24.Bxf6 Qxf6 25.Qxg4+ Kh7 26.Rf1 Qe7 27.Qh5 Qg7 28.Rf7 1-0
5 404
Sam Sloan Candidate for US Congress plays Chinese Chess in Chinatownin New York City by samsloan
Sam Sloan Candidate for US Congress plays Chinese Chess in Chinatown in New York City. https://youtu.be/INUfN_4Y7I4
July 9th 16 07:17 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
6 423
Chesscafé?! -+ by [email protected]
Off-topic to offramp's question: whatever happened to Taylor Kingston!? LOL. RL I wrote to Taylor after he moved to CA. Chess cafe was one of 3 or 4 US based chess sites which had reasonable chess playing articles for mid level players about actually playing chess, plus a forum. The forum had its usual dozen main voices, and they liked what they liked, to such degree that they...
0 244
Opening novelty by Maxime Vachier-Lagrave involving Rg1. by Paul
I heard someone talk about a recent opening novelty in Paris by Maxime Vachier-Lagrave involving Rg1 but couldn't find such a game. Could anyone help? Thanks, Paul
July 8th 16 10:05 PM
by MikeMurray[_2_] Go to last post
4 333
Is this the easiest way to deliver checkmate with King + bishop + knight vs. King by zarkoth
I stubmled across this video on YouTube and I think it's great! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3EqM17jvOc What do you think?
July 7th 16 09:19 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
1 353
Havana 1966, from Europe Echecs by Offramp
ors de mon séjour * Cuba, en février dernier, je rencontrais le premier grand-maître couronné par la FIDE depuis la Révolution, Silvino Garcia, et profitais d’interroger ce témoin sur la prestigieuse Olympiade de 1966. L’Olympiade de La Havane fut la seconde organisée en Amérique, après celle de Buenos Aires 1939. Quelles sont les raisons qui ont permis sa réalisation * Cuba ?...
July 2nd 16 08:19 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 281
Sam Sloan gives Simultaneous Chess Exhibition by samsloan
Sam Sloan, Chess Educator of The Year 2014 at Viking Chess Club https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvjWfTWaLwo Sam Gives Simultaneous Chess Exhibition. Sam won all the games.
June 26th 16 11:28 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
2 322
ChessBase 13 update question by The Horny Goat
I have ChessBase 8 - the current version is 13 and there's a CB 12 - CB 13 update avilable. I do not see any other ChessBase upgrade available for sale anywhere. I've had 3 separate answers when I inquired as to whether the update will do me any good: 1) Yes (this was from a dealer who was 95% sure as a friend of his had successfully upgraded v9 - v13) 2) No - it's only fo r12
June 25th 16 12:52 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 298
Post New Thread