Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Peter Svidler by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Just saw his game as black against Karjakin in a Ruy Lopez in the Russian team championship. Svidler has beaten the best players in the world with the black side of the Ruy Lopez. And he doesn't play the Berlin! It is refreshing to see that white doesn't get it all his way in the Ruy. The last player this strong as black in the Ruy was Karpov. EZoto
May 9th 16 12:02 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
0 237
The blitz event in St Louis by [email protected]
Well, there was Caruana, Nakamura, So and Kasparov, and over two days they produced extraordinary chess well reported by the crew of strong players and commentators attending. Having had a go at this myself, 2 hours live commentary on 8GMs, with Paul Troung over 10 years ago, it is my educated opinion that this crew got a lot right. main commentators were Jen Shahade, Maurice Ashley and Yasser...
May 4th 16 07:19 AM
by 52%[_2_] Go to last post
2 238
chess rating vs. IQ - why geniuses lose to idiots by [email protected]
Den onsdag 30 december 1998 kl. 09:00:00 UTC+1 skrev Greg Kennedy: Here is a problem for the people who claim chess ratings correspond to IQ's: Why is it that "geniuses" like Nimzovich occasionally lose to an "idiot"? What is the probability of this occurring in a tournament? Of the "genius" jumping up onto a table and querying his awful predicament? And why is it that I continue to...
0 220
US Championship by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Looks like a showdown between So and Nakamura is coming up to see who gets the US title with Caruana and Robson still in the hunt.
April 19th 16 12:27 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
0 213
Karjakin withdraws from Norway. by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Does anyone know why? Would have been a game to watch if both of them had met. Again however it almost seems Karjakin avoids playing him. In my last post most of the games they have played are blitz and rapid games. Will they meet each other in a tournament game before the World Championship? November is a long way off. EZoto
April 19th 16 12:15 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
2 251
Study with ASA my chess coach on the streets of 42 nd street NY, NY by Julia Sloan
Many of you were wondering my relation to Ace ( Asa Hoffman ) over the years. I originally started chess at 46th street Manhattan Chess Club on restaurants row. While the Manhattan Chess Club moved close by to the New Yorker Hotel on 34th Street and 8th avenue ( and very much exists to this day as sold audio modules over subscription service by invitation only ) Ace and I packed up our bags, I...
April 17th 16 12:50 PM
by Anonymous Go to last post
4 277
Watson brothers? by Paul
Does anyone know if the well-known problemist Ian Watson is the brother of the inactive GM William Watson, a former winner of the British Chess Championships? Or are they otherwise related. They look a bit alike, I think. Thanks, Paul
April 14th 16 04:50 PM
by Paul Go to last post
0 212
What's going on with FICS? by Eliyahu
Bs'd What's happening with FICS? It looks dead there, nobody around.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 13th 16 03:15 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
10 555
What is the real name of Mark Houlsby ? by Chris[_4_]
On Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 10:17:25 PM UTC-5, samsloan wrote: An Internet gadfly named Mark Houlsby keeps invading and messing up the newsgroups. He does not appear to have any existence other than being an Internet poster. In addition to chess, he also posts to the Shakespeare newsgroups. He is believed to reside in England. Other than that, little or
April 13th 16 02:11 AM
by Chris[_4_] Go to last post
0 210
First steps towards my goal of reaching an Expert rating. by [email protected]
Played two tournaments these past few weeks. All the studying and Internet playing has paid off. My original rating was 1567. This rating was from 30 years ago and one rated game in the 90s. In two tournaments, each with only 3 games, I've increased my rating to 1641. 249 points to go!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
54 1,816
Opening Monographs -- The Schliemann Var of the Ruy -- Florian by [email protected]
Here is another one from the early days of chess publishing -- this time put out by THE CHESS PLAYER, Nottingham England -- written by Tibor Florian and who knows how it wound up in my collection? It is undated but the latest game citation is 1970. Interestingly 3. ... PKB4 (f5) in the Ruy is nothing I've faced in thousands of correspondence games, nor OTB neither. Early European and...
4 299
New James Bond film has a chess scene by raylopez99
....as reported in Chessbase website. Opens in Europe tomorrow. But it cannot compare to the chess scene from From Russia With Love. RL
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 12th 16 06:35 AM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
20 994
Mate in 3 from my game tonight. by [email protected]
It took me a few minutes to figure it out. White to move. 4k3/3rbpp1/3Pr3/1Q6/8/2R2PPq/PPP4P/4R2K w - - 0 27
April 12th 16 06:26 AM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
5 416
Carlsen - Karjakin by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Was looking up all of there previous encounters in the database and almost 90% of their encounters were in blitz or rapid events. They played just a couple of games in real tournaments and they are even. I thought that there tournament encounters were much more than that. Just curious as to why this is. Hard to gauge their WCC match on their past games when they've played mostly blitz. EZoto
April 10th 16 11:02 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 323
Short-Cheparinov Corus 2008 by Paul
On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 7:21:23 PM UTC, Paul wrote: In the Short-Cheparinov no-handshake game, the original game was 1.e4 c5 default, and the second (replay) game also began 1. e4 c5. Was the decision to repeat the opening made by the players or was it mandated by the officials that the game be continued from the position where it was abandoned? No one responded but, assuming that the...
April 6th 16 04:37 PM
by Paul Go to last post
2 304
With Fritz 15 how do I print a game with notation by SolomonW[_4_]
On older versions of Fritz GUI, I used to be able to print a game with scores and notation! ?! !? etc. So I would get something like. 13. BC4? or 18. NC3 d6! I think I also used to be able to get an evaluation for each move.
April 5th 16 03:50 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
3 332
HA. HA. haaaaa... GO busted. Google DeepMind AlphaGo beats LeeSe-dol in game 1 by raylopez99
I remember when Usenet had a GO forum (seems to have disappeared) I trolled them after Deep Blue won vs Kasparov, telling them their turn was next, and how smug and sanctimonious they were, saying it will never happen due to GO's complexity, mystical nature and other such nonsense. Ignorant peasants. Their game is rubble now, and the difference is: chess has a rich pedigree and will continue,...
April 3rd 16 12:37 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
9 452
Hikaru Nakamura, age 10, scores 2450 performance at Chicago Open by Offramp
On Tuesday, 9 June 1998 08:00:00 UTC+1, Sam Sloan wrote: 10-year old Hikaru Nakamura, the youngest Master in American history, continued to show dramatic improvement in the Chicago Open, with these round by round results: beat Emory Tate (2438), lost to GM Larry Christiansen (2658), drew with Albert Chow (2328), drew with Alex Betaneli (2278), drew with Jim McLaughlin (2315), drew...
March 19th 16 07:43 PM
by EJAY Go to last post
3 366
Opening Monographs by [email protected]
Recently Mike Murray said he had played in a Blackmar-Diemer Gambit theme tournament, and I thought 2 things -- I have no idea what happens in this opening since I have never encountered it as White or Black, and secondly I have a few monographs in the chess library that I never think of, since they have no spine markings. Among these is a publication by Chess Digest magazine, of Dallas, Texas ...
March 19th 16 06:09 PM
by Eugene Delmar's Ghost Go to last post
5 414
Solution Manual and Test Bank ( 2013 -2014 ) by [email protected]
I would like to get the following: Starting Out with Programming Logic and Design, 2E Tony Gaddis, Test Bank i would also like the solution manual if it becomes available. Thanks!
0 176
Post New Thread

Display Options
Showing threads 81 to 100 of 14918