Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Poll
Poll: Does Karjakin have a chance against Carlsen? by zarkoth
I was slighlty disappointed with the recent result at the Candidates. Karjakin won, but I just don't think he can match Carlsen for the WCh title. Maybe Caruana would have had better chances. What do you think?
May 30th 16 10:13 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 297
Suggestios for Black responses against 1.e4 and 1.d4 by zarkoth
Hi! I'm new in this forum and keen to use the collective wisdom here. I need to find reliable openings with Black against 1.e4 and 1.d4. Not keen on too much theory, nor passive positions. Thinking about the French and the Dutch.
May 28th 16 11:11 PM
by zarkoth Go to last post
0 240
The maturational effect of board games by M Winther[_2_]
In many Western countries, university teachers are complaining about the educational situation in public media. The students expect them to function as helicopter parents that guide them to success, and if the student fails, then it's the teacher's fault. If kids were to be taught board games, such as chess, then they would acquire psychological tenacity, and learn that it is only you...
May 26th 16 03:00 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
3 360
Staunton Chess Set and Freemasonry by [email protected]
If one has enough time and imagination one can prove almost anything. It is obvious that chess is a war game where one side destroys the other. It is also self evident that it is either Indian or Persian ie. Asiatic adopted into MittelEU with kings and queens or vezirs which would be the Ottoman Turk contribution. None of this ahs **** all to do with Free Masonry. The term grandmaster is on the...
May 24th 16 05:33 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
1 216
Online cheater allowed to play in FIDE tournaments by Offramp
I read this post on the internet: Online cheater allowed to play in FIDE tournaments? (self.chess) submitted 46 minutes ago by GoldNovaPawn1800 FIDE The FIDE online Arena held their World Blitz Junior Championship last year in October, a young prodigy that is 9 years old with now a 2250 rating played in it, Ilya Makoveev finished 1st with 9/11, but was then later disqualified for cheating,...
May 21st 16 05:16 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 797
GLC Chess Tournament, March 1986 by Offramp
Does anyone know if there is a complete pgn file on the internet of all the games of the 1986 GLC Tournament played 11-27th March 1986 in London?
May 16th 16 07:37 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
4 344
Miles against Ligterink by Paul
Apparently Miles's record against Ligterink was 5.5 / 6 in favour of Miles. Quite incredible! Paul
May 16th 16 11:16 AM
by Paul Go to last post
2 267
chess rating vs. IQ - why geniuses lose to idiots by [email protected]
On Wednesday, December 30, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Greg Kennedy wrote: Here is a problem for the people who claim chess ratings correspond to IQ's: Why is it that "geniuses" like Nimzovich occasionally lose to an "idiot"? What is the probability of this occurring in a tournament? Of the "genius" jumping up onto a table and querying his awful predicament? And why is it that I...
0 264
Peter Svidler by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Just saw his game as black against Karjakin in a Ruy Lopez in the Russian team championship. Svidler has beaten the best players in the world with the black side of the Ruy Lopez. And he doesn't play the Berlin! It is refreshing to see that white doesn't get it all his way in the Ruy. The last player this strong as black in the Ruy was Karpov. EZoto
May 9th 16 12:02 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
0 262
The blitz event in St Louis by [email protected]
Well, there was Caruana, Nakamura, So and Kasparov, and over two days they produced extraordinary chess well reported by the crew of strong players and commentators attending. Having had a go at this myself, 2 hours live commentary on 8GMs, with Paul Troung over 10 years ago, it is my educated opinion that this crew got a lot right. main commentators were Jen Shahade, Maurice Ashley and Yasser...
May 4th 16 07:19 AM
by 52%[_2_] Go to last post
2 269
chess rating vs. IQ - why geniuses lose to idiots by [email protected]
Den onsdag 30 december 1998 kl. 09:00:00 UTC+1 skrev Greg Kennedy: Here is a problem for the people who claim chess ratings correspond to IQ's: Why is it that "geniuses" like Nimzovich occasionally lose to an "idiot"? What is the probability of this occurring in a tournament? Of the "genius" jumping up onto a table and querying his awful predicament? And why is it that I continue to...
0 246
US Championship by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Looks like a showdown between So and Nakamura is coming up to see who gets the US title with Caruana and Robson still in the hunt.
April 19th 16 12:27 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
0 237
Karjakin withdraws from Norway. by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Does anyone know why? Would have been a game to watch if both of them had met. Again however it almost seems Karjakin avoids playing him. In my last post most of the games they have played are blitz and rapid games. Will they meet each other in a tournament game before the World Championship? November is a long way off. EZoto
April 19th 16 12:15 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
2 297
Study with ASA my chess coach on the streets of 42 nd street NY, NY by Julia Sloan
Many of you were wondering my relation to Ace ( Asa Hoffman ) over the years. I originally started chess at 46th street Manhattan Chess Club on restaurants row. While the Manhattan Chess Club moved close by to the New Yorker Hotel on 34th Street and 8th avenue ( and very much exists to this day as sold audio modules over subscription service by invitation only ) Ace and I packed up our bags, I...
April 17th 16 12:50 PM
by Anonymous Go to last post
4 310
Watson brothers? by Paul
Does anyone know if the well-known problemist Ian Watson is the brother of the inactive GM William Watson, a former winner of the British Chess Championships? Or are they otherwise related. They look a bit alike, I think. Thanks, Paul
April 14th 16 04:50 PM
by Paul Go to last post
0 238
What's going on with FICS? by Eliyahu
Bs'd What's happening with FICS? It looks dead there, nobody around.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 13th 16 03:15 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
10 632
What is the real name of Mark Houlsby ? by Chris[_4_]
On Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 10:17:25 PM UTC-5, samsloan wrote: An Internet gadfly named Mark Houlsby keeps invading and messing up the newsgroups. He does not appear to have any existence other than being an Internet poster. In addition to chess, he also posts to the Shakespeare newsgroups. He is believed to reside in England. Other than that, little or
April 13th 16 02:11 AM
by Chris[_4_] Go to last post
0 237
First steps towards my goal of reaching an Expert rating. by [email protected]
Played two tournaments these past few weeks. All the studying and Internet playing has paid off. My original rating was 1567. This rating was from 30 years ago and one rated game in the 90s. In two tournaments, each with only 3 games, I've increased my rating to 1641. 249 points to go!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
54 1,975
Opening Monographs -- The Schliemann Var of the Ruy -- Florian by [email protected]
Here is another one from the early days of chess publishing -- this time put out by THE CHESS PLAYER, Nottingham England -- written by Tibor Florian and who knows how it wound up in my collection? It is undated but the latest game citation is 1970. Interestingly 3. ... PKB4 (f5) in the Ruy is nothing I've faced in thousands of correspondence games, nor OTB neither. Early European and...
4 333
New James Bond film has a chess scene by raylopez99
....as reported in Chessbase website. Opens in Europe tomorrow. But it cannot compare to the chess scene from From Russia With Love. RL
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 12th 16 06:35 AM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
20 1,066