Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Recent Jeopardy! chess clue by [email protected]
Hi, guys. I'm wondering if you can offer some input on a chess clue from the Jeopardy! game show this past Thursday. (If you're not familiar with the game show, this might get a little murky; but I think it's possible to get the gist.) The clue went like this. Category: WHAT IS IT? Clue: THE ALEKHINE DEFENSE The contestant who rang in responded "What is a chess strategy?" Alex ruled the...
June 24th 16 05:02 PM
by The Horny Goat Go to last post
9 476
Too True! by Offramp
‘... he asked for my advice about his son. He was at Cambridge University and, according to the father, dissipating his undoubted talents in all sorts of unrewarding side-issues. He was even writing poetry and as for chess, he had recently taken up problem composing instead of the more solid pursuit of actually playing chess. What, he asked, did I think of chess problems. “A waste of time”,...
June 19th 16 06:16 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
3 333
VIKTOR L KORTSCHNOI DEAD by raylopez99
On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 8:55:03 PM UTC+3, Euclides Zoto wrote: Great player. However he was a Salty person. When you read how he used hate energy to win chess games then you know he wasn't the greatest person to associate with. Many people who knew him say he was a difficult person to deal with. VIKTOR L KORTSCHNOI DEAD...who killed VIKTOR L KORTSCHNOI? RL
June 17th 16 07:32 PM
by Euclides Zoto Go to last post
1 254
Human-unfriendly chess software by Paul
Are there any chess programs that take into account the way humans reason? I would think that whether a move looks "counter-intuitive" could be programmed to some extent. Examples of counter-intuitive moves are sacrifices, moves that move pieces to less active squares, moves that revisit squares that were visited recently etc. All these concepts are readily programmable.. Then, in a losing...
June 17th 16 04:17 PM
by Andy Walker[_3_] Go to last post
8 328
Pawn promotion by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
In the Paris Blitz tournament Nakamura Topalov game, Topalov promoted his pawn on the eighth rank but pressed his clock then put the Queen on the square. Nakamura claimed the game so Topalov lost. I didn't even know a rule like that existed that you have to promote the pawn and put the piece there that is promoted to then push the clock or you forfeit. Anyone know why that rule is there? It...
June 14th 16 03:00 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
4 451
Bohatirchuk: personal memories of Efim Bogoljubov by raylopez99
On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 9:53:07 PM UTC+3, Offramp wrote: " tied for first with Romanowsky in the V Russian Championship of 1927 — ahead of Botvinnik; tied for third with Alatorzev and Werlinski in the VII Russian Championship in 1931, and tied for third with Riumin in the IX Russian Championship in 1934. He is one of the few players with a plus score against Botvinnik — three wins...
June 8th 16 10:30 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 269
VIKTOR L KORTSCHNOI DEAD by raylopez99
On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 2:03:43 PM UTC+3, Offramp wrote: The long chess pilgrimage of Viktor Kortschnoi is over. He played three matches where the winner became World Champion and lost them all. No shirt Shylock. Tell us something we know. But apparently--read between the lines--Kortschnoi, who's name is impossible to find in Chessbase with all the different spellings--was an...
June 8th 16 10:24 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 240
Poll
Poll: Does Karjakin have a chance against Carlsen? by zarkoth
I was slighlty disappointed with the recent result at the Candidates. Karjakin won, but I just don't think he can match Carlsen for the WCh title. Maybe Caruana would have had better chances. What do you think?
May 30th 16 10:13 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 318
Suggestios for Black responses against 1.e4 and 1.d4 by zarkoth
Hi! I'm new in this forum and keen to use the collective wisdom here. I need to find reliable openings with Black against 1.e4 and 1.d4. Not keen on too much theory, nor passive positions. Thinking about the French and the Dutch.
May 28th 16 11:11 PM
by zarkoth Go to last post
0 250
The maturational effect of board games by M Winther[_2_]
In many Western countries, university teachers are complaining about the educational situation in public media. The students expect them to function as helicopter parents that guide them to success, and if the student fails, then it's the teacher's fault. If kids were to be taught board games, such as chess, then they would acquire psychological tenacity, and learn that it is only you...
May 26th 16 03:00 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
3 385
Staunton Chess Set and Freemasonry by [email protected]
If one has enough time and imagination one can prove almost anything. It is obvious that chess is a war game where one side destroys the other. It is also self evident that it is either Indian or Persian ie. Asiatic adopted into MittelEU with kings and queens or vezirs which would be the Ottoman Turk contribution. None of this ahs **** all to do with Free Masonry. The term grandmaster is on the...
May 24th 16 05:33 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
1 226
Online cheater allowed to play in FIDE tournaments by Offramp
I read this post on the internet: Online cheater allowed to play in FIDE tournaments? (self.chess) submitted 46 minutes ago by GoldNovaPawn1800 FIDE The FIDE online Arena held their World Blitz Junior Championship last year in October, a young prodigy that is 9 years old with now a 2250 rating played in it, Ilya Makoveev finished 1st with 9/11, but was then later disqualified for cheating,...
May 21st 16 05:16 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 874
GLC Chess Tournament, March 1986 by Offramp
Does anyone know if there is a complete pgn file on the internet of all the games of the 1986 GLC Tournament played 11-27th March 1986 in London?
May 16th 16 07:37 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
4 368
Miles against Ligterink by Paul
Apparently Miles's record against Ligterink was 5.5 / 6 in favour of Miles. Quite incredible! Paul
May 16th 16 11:16 AM
by Paul Go to last post
2 281
chess rating vs. IQ - why geniuses lose to idiots by [email protected]
On Wednesday, December 30, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Greg Kennedy wrote: Here is a problem for the people who claim chess ratings correspond to IQ's: Why is it that "geniuses" like Nimzovich occasionally lose to an "idiot"? What is the probability of this occurring in a tournament? Of the "genius" jumping up onto a table and querying his awful predicament? And why is it that I...
0 285
Peter Svidler by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Just saw his game as black against Karjakin in a Ruy Lopez in the Russian team championship. Svidler has beaten the best players in the world with the black side of the Ruy Lopez. And he doesn't play the Berlin! It is refreshing to see that white doesn't get it all his way in the Ruy. The last player this strong as black in the Ruy was Karpov. EZoto
May 9th 16 12:02 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
0 283
The blitz event in St Louis by [email protected]
Well, there was Caruana, Nakamura, So and Kasparov, and over two days they produced extraordinary chess well reported by the crew of strong players and commentators attending. Having had a go at this myself, 2 hours live commentary on 8GMs, with Paul Troung over 10 years ago, it is my educated opinion that this crew got a lot right. main commentators were Jen Shahade, Maurice Ashley and Yasser...
May 4th 16 07:19 AM
by 52%[_2_] Go to last post
2 286
chess rating vs. IQ - why geniuses lose to idiots by [email protected]
Den onsdag 30 december 1998 kl. 09:00:00 UTC+1 skrev Greg Kennedy: Here is a problem for the people who claim chess ratings correspond to IQ's: Why is it that "geniuses" like Nimzovich occasionally lose to an "idiot"? What is the probability of this occurring in a tournament? Of the "genius" jumping up onto a table and querying his awful predicament? And why is it that I continue to...
0 265
US Championship by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Looks like a showdown between So and Nakamura is coming up to see who gets the US title with Caruana and Robson still in the hunt.
April 19th 16 12:27 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
0 254
Karjakin withdraws from Norway. by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Does anyone know why? Would have been a game to watch if both of them had met. Again however it almost seems Karjakin avoids playing him. In my last post most of the games they have played are blitz and rapid games. Will they meet each other in a tournament game before the World Championship? November is a long way off. EZoto
April 19th 16 12:15 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
2 313
Post New Thread