Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Ray Keene - on the balance, more positive for organized chess than negative? by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
Discuss. Here's some background: Ray Keene is one of the favorite scratching posts of the online chess community. Probably the height of Keene-bashing was reached when the threw out John Henderson from the Brain Games pressroom in 2000 (for those of you who remember that tourney). While painting himself as a Hunter Thompson-esque hero of the moment, it's not hard to read between the lines that...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 27th 11 10:16 AM
by The Master Go to last post
14 577
Barry Obama for United States President 2012 !!!!!!! by Kirk Gregory Czuhai
dear friend, barry obama for United States President 2012 !!!!!!! http://tinyurl.com/kirksBARRY love, kirk
October 27th 11 04:01 AM
by Kirk Gregory Czuhai Go to last post
0 246
Triumph of the Will or Der Triumph des Willens by samsloan
Triumph of the Will or Der Triumph des Willens http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871879119 http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ISBN=4871879119 Triumph of the Will or Der Triumph des Willens
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 26th 11 10:30 PM
by micky Go to last post
31 1,402
Dr. Fart's (Steven B. Dowd) incompetent review of Maurice Ashley:What Grandmasters Don't See, Vol 3 by raylopez99
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7617 Chessbase above is running a review of a video by Maurice Ashley: What Grandmasters Don't See, Vol 3 that is reviewed by this group's member SBD (aka Dr. Fart, as that acronym stands for Silent But Deadly, a fart category). While I like Ashley in general, as he makes chess seem cool, this particular video, as can be sampled from the link...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 25th 11 03:37 AM
by None Go to last post
12 854
Short-term memory problems during a game by MikeMurray
Here's a problem that's always plagued me, one of which I've experienced acutely in the last couple events, turning a won game into a loss, and turning an easy win into a scramble won mostly because of my opponent's time trouble. You ponder a position and you reject some upcoming sequence, thinking, "Oh, I can't do THAT because he'll play xxx" or you plan to refute an opponent's possible reply...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 25th 11 03:29 AM
by None Go to last post
14 398
Beating back an attack by White in the Sicilian B54 by raylopez99
In the Sicilian black typically has chances on the q-side and white on the k-side, and this game was true to form. I played one move ahead of disaster. thought he would trap my queen but no. RL
October 24th 11 06:51 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 167
r2q1rk1/ppp1bppp/3p1n2/7b/3NP3/PQ3P2/1P1nNBPP/RB3RK1 w - - 0 16 andwhite resigns, why? by raylopez99
In this miniature white resigned, facing what appears to be the win of the exchange for no real compensation. Should he have? Critical position he r2q1rk1/ppp1bppp/3p1n2/7b/3NP3/PQ3P2/1P1nNBPP/ RB3RK1 w - - 0 16 Hint: nobody ever won a chess match by resigning (except maybe Bobby Fischer in his WC match game #3? against Spassky) RL
October 22nd 11 08:38 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_3_] Go to last post
1 171
Sam Sloan and TMB are the only posters who actually play OTB games... by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
....unless any of you want to argue otherwise. I checked the USCF site...Sam is active and ongoing. So am I, although you'll have to take my word for it, since the USCF wouldn't let me register under TMB (although they ran a letter of mine with that moniker once). As for the rest of you...for those who post their real names, there doesn't seem to be ANY chess activity. Correct me if I'm...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 21st 11 06:40 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
16 498
Whatever happened to...the Key Crackers guy? by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
And you thought I was going to say Mike Cavallo. But either one would be more interesting than talking about Hitler.
October 21st 11 04:37 AM
by None Go to last post
6 310
Find the right move 1n3r2/1r4k1/6pp/3pq2n/P2N1p2/1BQ1pP1P/2P3P1/R3R1K1w - - 0 31 by raylopez99
Here's a game the whole family can enjoy. Can you find the winning move in this position? 1n3r2/1r4k1/6pp/3pq2n/P2N1p2/1BQ1pP1P/2P3P1/R3R1K1 w - - 0 31 RL
October 20th 11 07:20 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 208
Dr. Fart vs. Ray: who is better at explaining the endgame? Ray. by raylopez99
Our own "Dr. Fart" aka SBD has a ChessCafe review of an endgame book by GM Danny King featured at the Chessbase.com site. (Nobody reads ChessCafe so I reference Chessbase, where I saw his review). Dr. Fart has the gall to critique a grandmaster--I guess he learned from TK who has the gall to critique GM Rowson. Patzer correcting a master-- there's a concept. In any event, you can learn more...
October 20th 11 01:42 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_3_] Go to last post
3 240
International Chess Master Jay Whitehead Has Died by samsloan
International Master Jay Whitehead Has Died International Chess Master Jay Whitehead has died of cancer on October 4, 2011. He died in the Zen Hospice Guest House in San Francisco after a long battle with cancer. Jay Whitehead was born in 1961 in New York. He was one of the strongest chess players ever to be born in the USA. He would easily have been grandmaster strength, but he never got the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 19th 11 11:29 PM
by micky Go to last post
20 630
Why are we talking about Nazis on a chess group? by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
It doesn't bode, guys...drop it, or take it somewhere else. Nazis have nothing to do with chess. Goodbye.
October 19th 11 08:12 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
3 251
Programs for tracking chess game listings in tutorial books by --
I've been using an actual chess board to study games listed in chess tutorial books. The main hassle is in tracking alternative move sequences and then getting back to the real moves. And of course starting over from scratch the next time that game is studied. I'd like to find a program that will facilitate this. Preferably allow manually playing/entering the listed game, and allowing recovery...
October 19th 11 06:34 PM
by MikeMurray Go to last post
6 272
Sam, Spam, Sam by None
On Oct 16, 11:35*pm, None wrote: On Oct 16, 5:01*pm, None wrote: On Oct 16, 1:23*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote: On Oct 16, 2:20*am, "
October 19th 11 06:21 PM
by None Go to last post
4 233
Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky by samsloan
On Oct 17, 4:08*am, David Ames wrote: On Oct 15, 4:12*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote:
October 19th 11 06:21 PM
by None Go to last post
3 202
Overcoming opening monotony by piece swap by M Winther
During training games, instead of wearing out your openings, monotonously playing the same system over and over, you should try "Relocation variants". Simply swap a piece or two before making the first move. This means a thorough kill of all opening theory, but strategically it's the same game. It's like breathing fresh air again. Please read this article. There are also Zillions programs to...
October 19th 11 04:58 PM
by M Winther Go to last post
0 202
Triumph of the Will translation of Introduction by Baldur von Schirach by samsloan
I have had a translation made of the four page introduction to the book "Der Triumph des Willens". I am not fluent in German but I know a few words and I am not entirely satisfied with this translation. If anybody can make corrections, they would be appreciated: Introduction to "The Triumph of Will” The man who today is the German Chancellor is the leader of sixty million people. He is neither...
October 19th 11 04:48 AM
by None Go to last post
3 296
Which college did Fischer attend? by Alex
What college did Bobby Fischer go to? He was a world chess champion so he must be a smart person and I want to be a smart person so I think that I should go to his college and I can be smart as him.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 18th 11 04:47 PM
by The Masked Bishop[_2_] Go to last post
43 1,226
Latest from the Ishi Press Great Literature Series: Shack Baby !!! by samsloan
http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871876403 http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ISBN=4871876403 BOLDER THAN BABY DOLL BAWDIER THAN TOBACCO ROAD A RIBALD NOVEL OF BACKWOODS PASSION AND LUST RUNNING WILD ! TENDER AS A KISS
October 17th 11 09:42 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
4 303
Post New Thread