Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky by samsloan
On Oct 17, 4:08*am, David Ames wrote: On Oct 15, 4:12*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote:
October 19th 11 06:21 PM
by None Go to last post
3 161
Overcoming opening monotony by piece swap by M Winther
During training games, instead of wearing out your openings, monotonously playing the same system over and over, you should try "Relocation variants". Simply swap a piece or two before making the first move. This means a thorough kill of all opening theory, but strategically it's the same game. It's like breathing fresh air again. Please read this article. There are also Zillions programs to...
October 19th 11 04:58 PM
by M Winther Go to last post
0 168
Triumph of the Will translation of Introduction by Baldur von Schirach by samsloan
I have had a translation made of the four page introduction to the book "Der Triumph des Willens". I am not fluent in German but I know a few words and I am not entirely satisfied with this translation. If anybody can make corrections, they would be appreciated: Introduction to "The Triumph of Will” The man who today is the German Chancellor is the leader of sixty million people. He is neither...
October 19th 11 04:48 AM
by None Go to last post
3 257
Which college did Fischer attend? by Alex
What college did Bobby Fischer go to? He was a world chess champion so he must be a smart person and I want to be a smart person so I think that I should go to his college and I can be smart as him.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 18th 11 04:47 PM
by The Masked Bishop[_2_] Go to last post
43 1,047
Latest from the Ishi Press Great Literature Series: Shack Baby !!! by samsloan
http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871876403 http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ISBN=4871876403 BOLDER THAN BABY DOLL BAWDIER THAN TOBACCO ROAD A RIBALD NOVEL OF BACKWOODS PASSION AND LUST RUNNING WILD ! TENDER AS A KISS
October 17th 11 09:42 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
4 251
All Time Stupidest Remark on RGCM by samsloan
The Soviet School of Chess is a book that probably every grandmaster in the world has studied. Sam Sloan http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871878198 http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ISBN=4871878198 On Oct 16, 10:08 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
October 17th 11 09:11 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 155
Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky by William Hyde
On Oct 15, 3:47*pm, samsloan wrote: http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871874516http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ISBN=4871874516 Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky Foreword by Sam Sloan Andy Soltis wrote a column in Chess Life, or perhaps it was in the New York Post where Grandmaster Soltis is the chess columnist, pointing out the...
October 17th 11 08:30 PM
by William Hyde Go to last post
0 215
A description of chess players by Taylor Kingston[_3_]
Came across this quote in the latest Mechanics' Chess Institute newsletter. It refers to the players in the Paris tournament of 1867, but it fits some rgcm regulars quite well: I had now a fine opportunity to study the character of professional chessplayers; and for blackguardism, for nasty meanness, for dirty wrangling, and a total lack of all conscience, it would be very difficult, I am sure,...
October 17th 11 05:16 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
4 212
An authoritative answer to Lopez's nonsense by Taylor Kingston[_3_]
RGCM regulars are familiar with the dispute between Ray Lopez and myself that arose from our playing out an analytical variation from a recent Anand-Carlsen game. Play terminated when Lopez insisted that postal chess rules allowed him make an illegal move at one point. Though relevant rules refuting Lopez's position were presented here, he still insisted he was right and challenged me to...
October 17th 11 05:13 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_3_] Go to last post
2 193
Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky by raylopez99
On Oct 17, 8:47*pm, The Masked Bishop wrote: As for the WC, unless you are a) hot or b) really good at promoting yourself and getting endorsements or c) American, no-one in the States has heard of you either. Walk into any bar and ask for a show of hands for those who know who Viswanathan Anand is. Or Vladimir Kramnik. *Or Jose Capablanca.
October 17th 11 04:30 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 229
Midwest Chess Championships are done... by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
....and what a shivaree they were. I'm not sure what was the most exciting part, but it was probably seeing FM Stamnov playing in pajama pants. Other fashion mavens were FM Chow in wraparound shades, and some old bag-ladyish dude in sandals who kept falling asleep in the hallway. Chicago's own GM Gurevich was there, although not exactly setting the pairings, or the cover of Men's Life, on...
October 17th 11 02:57 PM
by The Masked Bishop[_2_] Go to last post
4 225
Carlsen back in FIDE WCh? by Taylor Kingston[_3_]
Magnus may change his mind: http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7602
October 17th 11 06:45 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
9 311
Satanas... by micky
A couple of scenes in this movie show some dudes punching the buttons on the very same chessclock I've got, that REALLY piqued my interest - there are other scenes too.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan%C3%A1s_(film) ..
October 15th 11 01:26 PM
by micky Go to last post
0 203
Mate de Luque by Joaquim
In a book called “Las grandes partidas de Emanuel Lasker” a so-called “mate de Luque” (Luque’s mate) is mentioned on page 18. Does anyone know which mate is this?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 14th 11 12:38 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
13 792
"good game" by raylopez99
When you get this message at the end of a long-hard online chess tactical slug-fest like below, you know it's not some auto-generated message but a complement of true conviction. A RayLopez99 Instructive Game (TM). RL
October 13th 11 09:11 PM
by None Go to last post
7 207
Amazing swindle ala Jude Acers style by raylopez99
I read an interesting article online on the colorful chess personality Jude Acers--well written, Google it, it was written a few months ago. Among other things the article mentions, indirectly, r.g.c.p., Sam Sloan, Bill Gotchberg (who has a grudge against Acers apparently, and instituted the Claude Bloodgood rule against him, holding his official rating down), Janis Joplin (who was a roommate of...
October 13th 11 07:42 PM
by MikeMurray Go to last post
7 424
5Rk1/3B2pp/5r2/2q2p2/1p4nQ/1P6/6P1/4R2K b - - 0 37 Grandmasterhowler by Jakovenko, Dmitrij by raylopez99
5Rk1/3B2pp/5r2/2q2p2/1p4nQ/1P6/6P1/4R2K b - - 0 37 In the above position black, up over a piece, makes a howler. Find the best way to capture. Ironically this game is cited by one chess site as an example of how to play the anti-Marshall, (8. a4 or h3) but in fact black is better throughout except at the end. RL
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 13th 11 07:22 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
16 394
Carlsen cleans up... by micky
Carlsen Grand Slams Chucky.. Vassily Ivanachuk may have been the Samba King in the first leg of the Grand Slam Final in Sao Paulo, but it was World No.1 Magnus Carlsen who single handedly stopped the Ukrainian from one of his best tournament performances ever, as he dominated the second leg in Bilbao to snatch the title from the Ukrainian after an exciting playoff between the two. The omens...
October 13th 11 04:02 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 216
3r4/3PR1pk/1p3qpp/p7/4QBP1/2p3KP/2P5/8 w - - 0 42 Ray's Mate in 15,a Tal Non-Howler, and cheating in the 1960 WCh match by raylopez99
From another game that I won--I played Bc7 and won easily. 3r4/3PR1pk/1p3qpp/p7/4QBP1/2p3KP/2P5/8 w - - 0 42 Find the best move (mate in 16), according to the PC. It is not Bc7. You'll never guess. Nor would any human except perhaps Mr. Zelner and kin would play the suggested PC move.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 13th 11 01:21 AM
by micky Go to last post
10 318
Ray is put in a clinic (drooling) by Taylor Kingston[_3_]
On Oct 2, 9:08*am, raylopez99 wrote: On Oct 2, 1:12*am, Taylor Kingston wrote: On Oct 1, 4:10*am, raylopez99 wrote: Please. *This you are proud of? * * Ray, let's just say it easily trumps anything I recall from any game of yours that you've posted here. * In your games, you rarely even get the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 13th 11 12:41 AM
by micky Go to last post
34 849