Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
International Chess Master Jay Whitehead Has Died by samsloan
International Master Jay Whitehead Has Died International Chess Master Jay Whitehead has died of cancer on October 4, 2011. He died in the Zen Hospice Guest House in San Francisco after a long battle with cancer. Jay Whitehead was born in 1961 in New York. He was one of the strongest chess players ever to be born in the USA. He would easily have been grandmaster strength, but he never got the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 19th 11 11:29 PM
by micky Go to last post
20 529
Why are we talking about Nazis on a chess group? by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
It doesn't bode, guys...drop it, or take it somewhere else. Nazis have nothing to do with chess. Goodbye.
October 19th 11 08:12 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
3 211
Programs for tracking chess game listings in tutorial books by --
I've been using an actual chess board to study games listed in chess tutorial books. The main hassle is in tracking alternative move sequences and then getting back to the real moves. And of course starting over from scratch the next time that game is studied. I'd like to find a program that will facilitate this. Preferably allow manually playing/entering the listed game, and allowing recovery...
October 19th 11 06:34 PM
by MikeMurray Go to last post
6 237
Sam, Spam, Sam by None
On Oct 16, 11:35*pm, None wrote: On Oct 16, 5:01*pm, None wrote: On Oct 16, 1:23*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote: On Oct 16, 2:20*am, "
October 19th 11 06:21 PM
by None Go to last post
4 193
Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky by samsloan
On Oct 17, 4:08*am, David Ames wrote: On Oct 15, 4:12*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote:
October 19th 11 06:21 PM
by None Go to last post
3 167
Overcoming opening monotony by piece swap by M Winther
During training games, instead of wearing out your openings, monotonously playing the same system over and over, you should try "Relocation variants". Simply swap a piece or two before making the first move. This means a thorough kill of all opening theory, but strategically it's the same game. It's like breathing fresh air again. Please read this article. There are also Zillions programs to...
October 19th 11 04:58 PM
by M Winther Go to last post
0 169
Triumph of the Will translation of Introduction by Baldur von Schirach by samsloan
I have had a translation made of the four page introduction to the book "Der Triumph des Willens". I am not fluent in German but I know a few words and I am not entirely satisfied with this translation. If anybody can make corrections, they would be appreciated: Introduction to "The Triumph of Will” The man who today is the German Chancellor is the leader of sixty million people. He is neither...
October 19th 11 04:48 AM
by None Go to last post
3 260
Which college did Fischer attend? by Alex
What college did Bobby Fischer go to? He was a world chess champion so he must be a smart person and I want to be a smart person so I think that I should go to his college and I can be smart as him.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 18th 11 04:47 PM
by The Masked Bishop[_2_] Go to last post
43 1,064
Latest from the Ishi Press Great Literature Series: Shack Baby !!! by samsloan
http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871876403 http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ISBN=4871876403 BOLDER THAN BABY DOLL BAWDIER THAN TOBACCO ROAD A RIBALD NOVEL OF BACKWOODS PASSION AND LUST RUNNING WILD ! TENDER AS A KISS
October 17th 11 09:42 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
4 254
All Time Stupidest Remark on RGCM by samsloan
The Soviet School of Chess is a book that probably every grandmaster in the world has studied. Sam Sloan http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871878198 http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ISBN=4871878198 On Oct 16, 10:08 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
October 17th 11 09:11 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 157
Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky by William Hyde
On Oct 15, 3:47*pm, samsloan wrote: http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871874516http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ISBN=4871874516 Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky Foreword by Sam Sloan Andy Soltis wrote a column in Chess Life, or perhaps it was in the New York Post where Grandmaster Soltis is the chess columnist, pointing out the...
October 17th 11 08:30 PM
by William Hyde Go to last post
0 221
A description of chess players by Taylor Kingston[_3_]
Came across this quote in the latest Mechanics' Chess Institute newsletter. It refers to the players in the Paris tournament of 1867, but it fits some rgcm regulars quite well: I had now a fine opportunity to study the character of professional chessplayers; and for blackguardism, for nasty meanness, for dirty wrangling, and a total lack of all conscience, it would be very difficult, I am sure,...
October 17th 11 05:16 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
4 218
An authoritative answer to Lopez's nonsense by Taylor Kingston[_3_]
RGCM regulars are familiar with the dispute between Ray Lopez and myself that arose from our playing out an analytical variation from a recent Anand-Carlsen game. Play terminated when Lopez insisted that postal chess rules allowed him make an illegal move at one point. Though relevant rules refuting Lopez's position were presented here, he still insisted he was right and challenged me to...
October 17th 11 05:13 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_3_] Go to last post
2 197
Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky by raylopez99
On Oct 17, 8:47*pm, The Masked Bishop wrote: As for the WC, unless you are a) hot or b) really good at promoting yourself and getting endorsements or c) American, no-one in the States has heard of you either. Walk into any bar and ask for a show of hands for those who know who Viswanathan Anand is. Or Vladimir Kramnik. *Or Jose Capablanca.
October 17th 11 04:30 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 233
Midwest Chess Championships are done... by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
....and what a shivaree they were. I'm not sure what was the most exciting part, but it was probably seeing FM Stamnov playing in pajama pants. Other fashion mavens were FM Chow in wraparound shades, and some old bag-ladyish dude in sandals who kept falling asleep in the hallway. Chicago's own GM Gurevich was there, although not exactly setting the pairings, or the cover of Men's Life, on...
October 17th 11 02:57 PM
by The Masked Bishop[_2_] Go to last post
4 230
Carlsen back in FIDE WCh? by Taylor Kingston[_3_]
Magnus may change his mind: http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7602
October 17th 11 06:45 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
9 323
Satanas... by micky
A couple of scenes in this movie show some dudes punching the buttons on the very same chessclock I've got, that REALLY piqued my interest - there are other scenes too.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan%C3%A1s_(film) ..
October 15th 11 01:26 PM
by micky Go to last post
0 204
Mate de Luque by Joaquim
In a book called “Las grandes partidas de Emanuel Lasker” a so-called “mate de Luque” (Luque’s mate) is mentioned on page 18. Does anyone know which mate is this?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 14th 11 12:38 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
13 801
"good game" by raylopez99
When you get this message at the end of a long-hard online chess tactical slug-fest like below, you know it's not some auto-generated message but a complement of true conviction. A RayLopez99 Instructive Game (TM). RL
October 13th 11 09:11 PM
by None Go to last post
7 208
Amazing swindle ala Jude Acers style by raylopez99
I read an interesting article online on the colorful chess personality Jude Acers--well written, Google it, it was written a few months ago. Among other things the article mentions, indirectly, r.g.c.p., Sam Sloan, Bill Gotchberg (who has a grudge against Acers apparently, and instituted the Claude Bloodgood rule against him, holding his official rating down), Janis Joplin (who was a roommate of...
October 13th 11 07:42 PM
by MikeMurray Go to last post
7 426
Post New Thread