Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Thoreau checks in on Morphy by ChessFire
March 19, 1859 "when I went to Boston in the early train the coldest morn- ing of last winter, two topics seemingly occu- pied the attention of the passengers, Morphy's chess victories, and nature's victorious cold that morning. The inhabitants of various towns were comparing notes, and that one whose door opened upon a greater degree of cold than any
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 2nd 11 08:40 PM
by Louis Blair Go to last post
15 690
How NOT to play the ECO C14 French by raylopez99
The only way to avoid the mating net was a piece sacrifice--can you see where? As Eugene A. Znosko-Borovsky might say, this game is an illustration of how not to play this line. Truth is, many a strong player as Black has fallen for this trap, which is a standard variation in this line. RL
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 2nd 11 01:09 AM
by The Master Go to last post
49 955
Double Howler: Smyslov-Petrosian, Zurich 1953 by Taylor Kingston[_3_]
On Oct 31, 5:09*am, SearchingForMaxEuwe wrote: Such biting wit from our resident imbecile Ray Lopez who's illusions of grandeur make him think that he is a grandmaster because his computer can run Fritz. How will I ever recover. Yeah, our Ray really knows how to fling it, doesn't he?
October 31st 11 05:12 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_3_] Go to last post
0 278
Knight endgames by M Winther
I played this knight endgame today in a blitz game. This is so typical of knight endgames. When I exchanged the rooks I thought I was winning, which I wasn't. But how is one to foresee such things in a standard game? Knight endgames are far more difficult than the middlegame situation. It is curious that positions with so few pieces are much more difficult to handle than a congested board...
October 30th 11 07:20 PM
by [email protected][_2_] Go to last post
3 227
Reuben Fine and Russian Tournaments in 1937 by krammi1
Hello , in 1937 Fine seems to have won "two little tournaments" in the (former) USSR : in (former ..) Leningrad + Moscow , to be more precise. Can anyone give some information about these events ?! (Players ; Results ; cross-tables) . thanks + regards :
October 28th 11 07:20 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_3_] Go to last post
1 232
Giblon R v Orlova, Liza, Canada 2011. A very interesting game! by Offramp
Here is a really good game from the recent Canadian Cahampionships Championnats de la Canadie. White has connected passed pawns at g5 and h6 but her king is exposed. At times the advanced pawns allow the white queen to give itself up for a minor piece, as long as the g-pawn can reach g7. The d4-square seems a bit cursed; 30...Bxd4 is a lousy move, and a few moves later white plays the crummy...
October 27th 11 05:01 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_3_] Go to last post
8 268
Painting by jmrw
Can you help me ! Who made this picture (his name and the dates of birth and death) What year was it made? http://www.jmrw.com/Chess/Tableau_echecs/pages/334.htm I am the webmaster of this page dealing with chess and paintings : http://www.jmrw.com/Chess/Tableau_echecs/index.htm Thanks a lot
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 27th 11 11:25 AM
by micky Go to last post
12 436
Ray Keene - on the balance, more positive for organized chess than negative? by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
Discuss. Here's some background: Ray Keene is one of the favorite scratching posts of the online chess community. Probably the height of Keene-bashing was reached when the threw out John Henderson from the Brain Games pressroom in 2000 (for those of you who remember that tourney). While painting himself as a Hunter Thompson-esque hero of the moment, it's not hard to read between the lines that...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 27th 11 10:16 AM
by The Master Go to last post
14 620
Barry Obama for United States President 2012 !!!!!!! by Kirk Gregory Czuhai
dear friend, barry obama for United States President 2012 !!!!!!! http://tinyurl.com/kirksBARRY love, kirk
October 27th 11 04:01 AM
by Kirk Gregory Czuhai Go to last post
0 274
Triumph of the Will or Der Triumph des Willens by samsloan
Triumph of the Will or Der Triumph des Willens http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871879119 http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ISBN=4871879119 Triumph of the Will or Der Triumph des Willens
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 26th 11 10:30 PM
by micky Go to last post
31 1,546
Dr. Fart's (Steven B. Dowd) incompetent review of Maurice Ashley:What Grandmasters Don't See, Vol 3 by raylopez99
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7617 Chessbase above is running a review of a video by Maurice Ashley: What Grandmasters Don't See, Vol 3 that is reviewed by this group's member SBD (aka Dr. Fart, as that acronym stands for Silent But Deadly, a fart category). While I like Ashley in general, as he makes chess seem cool, this particular video, as can be sampled from the link...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 25th 11 03:37 AM
by None Go to last post
12 887
Short-term memory problems during a game by MikeMurray
Here's a problem that's always plagued me, one of which I've experienced acutely in the last couple events, turning a won game into a loss, and turning an easy win into a scramble won mostly because of my opponent's time trouble. You ponder a position and you reject some upcoming sequence, thinking, "Oh, I can't do THAT because he'll play xxx" or you plan to refute an opponent's possible reply...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 25th 11 03:29 AM
by None Go to last post
14 432
Beating back an attack by White in the Sicilian B54 by raylopez99
In the Sicilian black typically has chances on the q-side and white on the k-side, and this game was true to form. I played one move ahead of disaster. thought he would trap my queen but no. RL
October 24th 11 06:51 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 187
r2q1rk1/ppp1bppp/3p1n2/7b/3NP3/PQ3P2/1P1nNBPP/RB3RK1 w - - 0 16 andwhite resigns, why? by raylopez99
In this miniature white resigned, facing what appears to be the win of the exchange for no real compensation. Should he have? Critical position he r2q1rk1/ppp1bppp/3p1n2/7b/3NP3/PQ3P2/1P1nNBPP/ RB3RK1 w - - 0 16 Hint: nobody ever won a chess match by resigning (except maybe Bobby Fischer in his WC match game #3? against Spassky) RL
October 22nd 11 08:38 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_3_] Go to last post
1 192
Sam Sloan and TMB are the only posters who actually play OTB games... by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
....unless any of you want to argue otherwise. I checked the USCF site...Sam is active and ongoing. So am I, although you'll have to take my word for it, since the USCF wouldn't let me register under TMB (although they ran a letter of mine with that moniker once). As for the rest of you...for those who post their real names, there doesn't seem to be ANY chess activity. Correct me if I'm...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 21st 11 06:40 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
16 532
Whatever happened to...the Key Crackers guy? by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
And you thought I was going to say Mike Cavallo. But either one would be more interesting than talking about Hitler.
October 21st 11 04:37 AM
by None Go to last post
6 328
Find the right move 1n3r2/1r4k1/6pp/3pq2n/P2N1p2/1BQ1pP1P/2P3P1/R3R1K1w - - 0 31 by raylopez99
Here's a game the whole family can enjoy. Can you find the winning move in this position? 1n3r2/1r4k1/6pp/3pq2n/P2N1p2/1BQ1pP1P/2P3P1/R3R1K1 w - - 0 31 RL
October 20th 11 07:20 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 227
Dr. Fart vs. Ray: who is better at explaining the endgame? Ray. by raylopez99
Our own "Dr. Fart" aka SBD has a ChessCafe review of an endgame book by GM Danny King featured at the Chessbase.com site. (Nobody reads ChessCafe so I reference Chessbase, where I saw his review). Dr. Fart has the gall to critique a grandmaster--I guess he learned from TK who has the gall to critique GM Rowson. Patzer correcting a master-- there's a concept. In any event, you can learn more...
October 20th 11 01:42 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_3_] Go to last post
3 266
International Chess Master Jay Whitehead Has Died by samsloan
International Master Jay Whitehead Has Died International Chess Master Jay Whitehead has died of cancer on October 4, 2011. He died in the Zen Hospice Guest House in San Francisco after a long battle with cancer. Jay Whitehead was born in 1961 in New York. He was one of the strongest chess players ever to be born in the USA. He would easily have been grandmaster strength, but he never got the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 19th 11 11:29 PM
by micky Go to last post
20 696
Why are we talking about Nazis on a chess group? by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
It doesn't bode, guys...drop it, or take it somewhere else. Nazis have nothing to do with chess. Goodbye.
October 19th 11 08:12 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
3 273
Post New Thread