Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Sam Sloan and TMB are the only posters who actually play OTB games... by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
....unless any of you want to argue otherwise. I checked the USCF site...Sam is active and ongoing. So am I, although you'll have to take my word for it, since the USCF wouldn't let me register under TMB (although they ran a letter of mine with that moniker once). As for the rest of you...for those who post their real names, there doesn't seem to be ANY chess activity. Correct me if I'm...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 21st 11 06:40 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
16 484
Whatever happened to...the Key Crackers guy? by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
And you thought I was going to say Mike Cavallo. But either one would be more interesting than talking about Hitler.
October 21st 11 04:37 AM
by None Go to last post
6 302
Find the right move 1n3r2/1r4k1/6pp/3pq2n/P2N1p2/1BQ1pP1P/2P3P1/R3R1K1w - - 0 31 by raylopez99
Here's a game the whole family can enjoy. Can you find the winning move in this position? 1n3r2/1r4k1/6pp/3pq2n/P2N1p2/1BQ1pP1P/2P3P1/R3R1K1 w - - 0 31 RL
October 20th 11 07:20 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 190
Dr. Fart vs. Ray: who is better at explaining the endgame? Ray. by raylopez99
Our own "Dr. Fart" aka SBD has a ChessCafe review of an endgame book by GM Danny King featured at the Chessbase.com site. (Nobody reads ChessCafe so I reference Chessbase, where I saw his review). Dr. Fart has the gall to critique a grandmaster--I guess he learned from TK who has the gall to critique GM Rowson. Patzer correcting a master-- there's a concept. In any event, you can learn more...
October 20th 11 01:42 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_3_] Go to last post
3 231
International Chess Master Jay Whitehead Has Died by samsloan
International Master Jay Whitehead Has Died International Chess Master Jay Whitehead has died of cancer on October 4, 2011. He died in the Zen Hospice Guest House in San Francisco after a long battle with cancer. Jay Whitehead was born in 1961 in New York. He was one of the strongest chess players ever to be born in the USA. He would easily have been grandmaster strength, but he never got the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 19th 11 11:29 PM
by micky Go to last post
20 586
Why are we talking about Nazis on a chess group? by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
It doesn't bode, guys...drop it, or take it somewhere else. Nazis have nothing to do with chess. Goodbye.
October 19th 11 08:12 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
3 237
Programs for tracking chess game listings in tutorial books by --
I've been using an actual chess board to study games listed in chess tutorial books. The main hassle is in tracking alternative move sequences and then getting back to the real moves. And of course starting over from scratch the next time that game is studied. I'd like to find a program that will facilitate this. Preferably allow manually playing/entering the listed game, and allowing recovery...
October 19th 11 06:34 PM
by MikeMurray Go to last post
6 262
Sam, Spam, Sam by None
On Oct 16, 11:35*pm, None wrote: On Oct 16, 5:01*pm, None wrote: On Oct 16, 1:23*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote: On Oct 16, 2:20*am, "
October 19th 11 06:21 PM
by None Go to last post
4 219
Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky by samsloan
On Oct 17, 4:08*am, David Ames wrote: On Oct 15, 4:12*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote:
October 19th 11 06:21 PM
by None Go to last post
3 191
Overcoming opening monotony by piece swap by M Winther
During training games, instead of wearing out your openings, monotonously playing the same system over and over, you should try "Relocation variants". Simply swap a piece or two before making the first move. This means a thorough kill of all opening theory, but strategically it's the same game. It's like breathing fresh air again. Please read this article. There are also Zillions programs to...
October 19th 11 04:58 PM
by M Winther Go to last post
0 192
Triumph of the Will translation of Introduction by Baldur von Schirach by samsloan
I have had a translation made of the four page introduction to the book "Der Triumph des Willens". I am not fluent in German but I know a few words and I am not entirely satisfied with this translation. If anybody can make corrections, they would be appreciated: Introduction to "The Triumph of Will” The man who today is the German Chancellor is the leader of sixty million people. He is neither...
October 19th 11 04:48 AM
by None Go to last post
3 286
Which college did Fischer attend? by Alex
What college did Bobby Fischer go to? He was a world chess champion so he must be a smart person and I want to be a smart person so I think that I should go to his college and I can be smart as him.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 18th 11 04:47 PM
by The Masked Bishop[_2_] Go to last post
43 1,151
Latest from the Ishi Press Great Literature Series: Shack Baby !!! by samsloan
http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871876403 http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ISBN=4871876403 BOLDER THAN BABY DOLL BAWDIER THAN TOBACCO ROAD A RIBALD NOVEL OF BACKWOODS PASSION AND LUST RUNNING WILD ! TENDER AS A KISS
October 17th 11 09:42 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
4 285
All Time Stupidest Remark on RGCM by samsloan
The Soviet School of Chess is a book that probably every grandmaster in the world has studied. Sam Sloan http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871878198 http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ISBN=4871878198 On Oct 16, 10:08 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
October 17th 11 09:11 PM
by samsloan Go to last post
0 183
Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky by William Hyde
On Oct 15, 3:47*pm, samsloan wrote: http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871874516http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ISBN=4871874516 Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky Foreword by Sam Sloan Andy Soltis wrote a column in Chess Life, or perhaps it was in the New York Post where Grandmaster Soltis is the chess columnist, pointing out the...
October 17th 11 08:30 PM
by William Hyde Go to last post
0 245
A description of chess players by Taylor Kingston[_3_]
Came across this quote in the latest Mechanics' Chess Institute newsletter. It refers to the players in the Paris tournament of 1867, but it fits some rgcm regulars quite well: I had now a fine opportunity to study the character of professional chessplayers; and for blackguardism, for nasty meanness, for dirty wrangling, and a total lack of all conscience, it would be very difficult, I am sure,...
October 17th 11 05:16 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
4 243
An authoritative answer to Lopez's nonsense by Taylor Kingston[_3_]
RGCM regulars are familiar with the dispute between Ray Lopez and myself that arose from our playing out an analytical variation from a recent Anand-Carlsen game. Play terminated when Lopez insisted that postal chess rules allowed him make an illegal move at one point. Though relevant rules refuting Lopez's position were presented here, he still insisted he was right and challenged me to...
October 17th 11 05:13 PM
by Taylor Kingston[_3_] Go to last post
2 227
Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky by raylopez99
On Oct 17, 8:47*pm, The Masked Bishop wrote: As for the WC, unless you are a) hot or b) really good at promoting yourself and getting endorsements or c) American, no-one in the States has heard of you either. Walk into any bar and ask for a show of hands for those who know who Viswanathan Anand is. Or Vladimir Kramnik. *Or Jose Capablanca.
October 17th 11 04:30 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 258
Midwest Chess Championships are done... by The Masked Bishop[_2_]
....and what a shivaree they were. I'm not sure what was the most exciting part, but it was probably seeing FM Stamnov playing in pajama pants. Other fashion mavens were FM Chow in wraparound shades, and some old bag-ladyish dude in sandals who kept falling asleep in the hallway. Chicago's own GM Gurevich was there, although not exactly setting the pairings, or the cover of Men's Life, on...
October 17th 11 02:57 PM
by The Masked Bishop[_2_] Go to last post
4 264
Carlsen back in FIDE WCh? by Taylor Kingston[_3_]
Magnus may change his mind: http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7602
October 17th 11 06:45 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
9 366